Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

A PEEK Performance!

pittbull

Rookie
I know that we drafted Babin. I know that we have Wong. I know that the defense has to play within the game. But what Antwann PEEK brings to this defense is seen everytime this young man touches the field. If anyone has ever read my rants, I always ask the question, "Who is our Ray Lewis?" For a while now, I have been focusing on Peek and he brings the emotion that our entire team fails to have for 3 quarters or more! To my dismay, the reaction is always given by the fans and staff alike, this guy is not able to play the run or pass as well as the other LB's! Well guess what folks, something is going to have to be sacrificed, or the defense shifted. The entire defense took on a brand new personality when this kid hit the field, and may have saved a rather dismal season for the Texans.

#1 - If Peek does not bring the added pressure, Green has all day to complete 3rd down passes, keeping our dragging defense on the field.

#2 - If Peek doesn't enter the game, the defense, which rarely does, doesn't blitz, bringing down Green on numerous occaissions!

#3 - No Peek, No emotion. This defense looked brain dead for half the game!

#4 - No Peek, no chance for captian comeback, Davie "Franchise" Carr, to lead his team down the field for different occassions!

#5 - No Peek, No weekend celebration and were looking at a dismal tailgate when the Raiders come to town!!!

All I'm saying is, this kid needs to be on the field, more than just the special teams, because he's a special player! :soapbox:

Wasn't Peek pretty much unblocked when he got his sack on Green? Was he even touched? Right now Peek is a situational pass rusher until he can figure out how to keep contain, but I do agree we need to have him on the field in passing situations. He is clearly our fastest edge rusher.

i have to agree...the emotion peek brings is addicting just to watch...i think we should be putting him wong and babin in a heavey rotation...but that's just me

Peek looked horrible playing every down in preseason against the Steelers. He kept moving inside and losing his outside containment. The Steelers made him pay. You might see him come in on passing downs more often though.

You beat me to this thread so I was a good boy and made sure I didn't create another one about the same topic. Here is what I will share. I think Babin was a great pick for us. I believe we will look back on the Babin pick one day and really feel like we got a good one for many years to come with him. However, for right now I believe it would not be a mistake to give Peek more of a looksy. Alot of us say that Peek can't contain the run. Well we haven't been able to with Babin in there either. Babin is a rookie and will play like one alot more than he will not during the season. I noticed after Peek came in, Tony Gonzalez was not able to get off the line as easily either. They even showed a replay of Babin barely making any contact with TG off the line and they also showed him getting juked by Gonzalez which is something I don't think happens to Peek in that situation. At one time, Babin blew a coverage right before Green threw his second TD and in the replay Glenn looked pretty upset at Babin. I am not saying that Babin can't make plays, he has proven that he can already. I am saying, that Peek's technique may be a little more sound at this time and while we are trying to get back to .500 we need to ride the hot horse at this time. Peek is it. The defense's mentality looked like it changed when Peek came in though.

Peek is pretty much a smaller version of Terrell Suggs during his rookie season. Great at rushing the passer but less than adequate in coverage and defending the run. Peek needs playing time in order for him to become a complete LB like Suggs is now.

Some guys are practice players, and some guys are game players. Peek is a game player. Whenever this guy is on the field, big plays follow! Doesn't Fangio get paid big bucks to figure out ways to get a playmaker involved, at the risk of not having his inadequate skills taken advantage of? Wow! This NFL thing is starting to look easier and easier.....lol! No really, I agree Peek MAY NOT BE UP TO BABIN'S run stopping (Which hasn't been that great!), but we badly need a pass rush and passion on the field. If he's there, look for the Texans to really show something on D, RIGHT NOW (For all the Babin lovers, only because he's a rookie),Babin is the bigger liability!

I think Peek will receive more time as a result of his success and the evident energy he brought with him. Perhaps the coaches were waiting to put him in a the right opportunity, because if they were planning that it worked brilliantly.

After the Chiefs game Babin was quoted as saying that he felt he wasn't running on all cylinders, so they put Peek in the game. He also stated when asked if he thought the move to the bench would be permanent, that only time will tell. May the best man win and it will be all the better for the Texans.

Less than adequate in coverage and run support................. This just in, the whole "D" is inadequate in those two things as well. Peek needs to be on that field, period. Pressure make a defense look a whole lot better than what it really may be. I just feel that if you have a good pass rush everyone elses job on the "D" is so much easier. Honestly, i've been waiting on Dom to go with Babin and Peek any day now. I've never been sold on Wong in the 3-4 scheme. BTW, isn't Peek tied with Wong for the Texans led in team sacks?

kbourda said:
BTW, isn't Peek tied with Wong for the Texans led in team sacks?

Man, I just don't know. I am having a hard time keeping track with all the sacks we're getting.

Sorry. Had to be said. :bag:

Vinny said:
Wasn't Peek pretty much unblocked when he got his sack on Green? Was he even touched? Right now Peek is a situational pass rusher until he can figure out how to keep contain, but I do agree we need to have him on the field in passing situations. He is clearly our fastest edge rusher.

I have to agree on this point. Peek actually lost caontain once in the fifteen plays he was in. I believe maybe we should be blitzing a little more and therefore seeing more of Peek but for run defense Babin has shown he can get the job done. I think the Texans have a bright future with Babin and Peek.

During the preseason, I heard Fangio on 610am in the morning and he said that Peek was probably the best LB in terms of pass coverage. I was surprised, but that is what he said.

Peek and Babin will be the Texans OLB's for a long time. Eventually they might be as good as any tandem of OLB's to play a 3-4 scheme. Right now, however, they both have holes in their game and it is up to Fangio to put them in situations where they can succeed. I think we will be seeing more of a rotation between the three OLB's after Peek's performance against KC. Actually, that is what I was thinking we would see all season....

Vinny said:

That's what was great about his first sack is that he did keep contain on a bootleg and was there to make the play. Hopefully, it's a sign that the coaching is beginning to sink in.

I think the problem with the lack of pressure has more to do with the three DLmen. Wong is very consistant with good pressure- but he can't handle two blockers, nor is he explosive enough to get to the QB regularly when there's no middle push. I'm not sure why those three guys (DL) aren't making more of an impact so far. I'm a little concerned, frankly.

dalemurphy said:
That's what was great about his first sack is that he did keep contain on a bootleg and was there to make the play. Hopefully, it's a sign that the coaching is beginning to sink in.
Good point.

I also share your concern with our linemen. Oakland pushed the Bucs around easily Sunday night. We have a big test this weekend.

Back