Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"A dominant inside running game" - PFF

pec0sb0b

on the lam
"The Texans have shown that even in this age of passing you can still win and be one of the best teams in the league with a dominant inside running game." -Ben Stockwell, ProFootballFocus http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/04/16/gap-control-interior-offense-2011/

The article has nice things to say about the Texans interior running game. Says some not so good things about the Titans offensive line. Also of interest were the numbers for some playoff teams such as New England, Green Bay and San Francisco showing their inability to run between the tackles.

Good find and good things to say about the Texans! Just hope we don't have a drop off like the "tacks" did since we lost Winston and Brisiel.

I like the closing sentence:

"Whether by complement or as the focus of the offense, you’re still better off being able to run inside than not, and if you want to make it the focus point of the offense, you had better be as good as the Texans are at it."

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/04/16/gap-control-interior-offense-2011/
finally got a back that can go inside & out. Next two years we should strengthen our guards & find a back up center. I think Baylor's Blake is a start as he can play two spots.

finally got a back that can go inside & out. Next two years we should strengthen our guards & find a back up center. I think Baylor's Blake is a start as he can play two spots.

Foster will be here for a long time, but what about Tate? I don't expect him to stick around when his contract is up. Which is 2014 if I'm not mistaken. We should enjoy Foster and Tate while we have them, because it may not last but for this season and next.

Foster will be here for a long time, but what about Tate? I don't expect him to stick around when his contract is up. Which is 2014 if I'm not mistaken. We should enjoy Foster and Tate while we have them, because it may not last but for this season and next.
I'm not too concerned about that far off. This next draft should resolve most of our weaknesses except QB and AJ's replacement. This season will show how those two positions will be a focal point or not. Hopefully, Schaub and AJ will be healthy and Matt will resign at a reasonable price (I doubt it myself).

I would think RB could be resolved a year before Tate's contract expires. Going forward we should be able to plan our drafts without need to fill holes. Also, we might be able to pick up other James Brady/Derrick Ward types who are cheap and can give us a quality year or two.

All I keep hearing on the radio is how chock full of QB talent next year's draft class will be. I don't really follow college football, so I have no idea who they are, but maybe we can address QB in that draft?

I'm not too concerned about that far off. This next draft should resolve most of our weaknesses except QB and AJ's replacement. This season will show how those two positions will be a focal point or not. Hopefully, Schaub and AJ will be healthy and Matt will resign at a reasonable price (I doubt it myself).

I would think RB could be resolved a year before Tate's contract expires. Going forward we should be able to plan our drafts without need to fill holes. Also, we might be able to pick up other James Brady/Derrick Ward types who are cheap and can give us a quality year or two.

Having Foster, Tate and Ward in the same backfield was just such a complete luxury it was incredible. Hell, if we had to, we could have gone a few games with our 3rd sting RB as a starter and really not missed a whole lot.

Where did Ward go by the way? Or is he still on the team?

Having Foster, Tate and Ward in the same backfield was just such a complete luxury it was incredible. Hell, if we had to, we could have gone a few games with our 3rd sting RB as a starter and really not missed a whole lot.

Where did Ward go by the way? Or is he still on the team?

He's still listed as the #3 back on the depth chart. but then Nick Scurfield posted this today so WhoTF knows?

I like the insurance of having Ward. But there must be a reason they haven't signed him yet. You would have thought someone else would have by now, he is most certainly worth the vet minimum if not just a tad bit more.

All I keep hearing on the radio is how chock full of QB talent next year's draft class will be. I don't really follow college football, so I have no idea who they are, but maybe we can address QB in that draft?

I totally disagree if we are talking about immediate help. Outside of RG3 and Luck no one qualifies. Tannehill could develop but is a huge reach as I understand Seattle has said it will take him if he falls. There are no Aaron Rodgers or Andy Dalton's ( who btw I liked coming out). This is why I am so concerned about Matt's health and Yates continued growth. He was a smarter pick than we all knew at time. On the mock with Beerlover & RMartin65 you can see we select Lindley who should be a longterm NFL QB in our system.

He's still listed as the #3 back on the depth chart. but then Nick Scurfield posted this today so WhoTF knows?

I really like but he will go too high for me. Probably get an YDFA or two.

2. Robert Turbin, Utah State (5-10, 216): A dual-threat back who rushed for 1,517 yards and 19 touchdowns last season, Turbin average over 6.0 yards per carry in each of his last two years at Utah State. Physically, he reminds us a bit of New York Jets RB Shonn Greene. But as a runner, Turbin looks more natural as a zone guy who he can use his cutback ability to pick his way through traffic, square his shoulders and then attack daylight. Has the skill set to mature into a starter at the next level, but because of his lack of a great burst, he doesn't strike us as a guy who is ever going to have gaudy yards per carry averages.

I really like but he will go too high for me. Probably get an YDFA or two.

2. Robert Turbin, Utah State (5-10, 216): A dual-threat back who rushed for 1,517 yards and 19 touchdowns last season, Turbin average over 6.0 yards per carry in each of his last two years at Utah State. Physically, he reminds us a bit of New York Jets RB Shonn Greene. But as a runner, Turbin looks more natural as a zone guy who he can use his cutback ability to pick his way through traffic, square his shoulders and then attack daylight. Has the skill set to mature into a starter at the next level, but because of his lack of a great burst, he doesn't strike us as a guy who is ever going to have gaudy yards per carry averages.

That's pretty much what N. Scurfield said as well. I think he's entertaining Turbin as a day 3 pick.

That's pretty much what N. Scurfield said as well. I think he's entertaining Turbin as a day 3 pick.
I pulled it from the link posted in this thread but I have talked about this player before. Great size and speed and perfect our system. I can't spend a 4th on a RB this year.

Not trying to trivialize it, but I think RB's can be found. Especially a spell back to an elite RB. We'll be ok. I expect Tate to be utilized until his last year and traded. WOuld like to see that become a tradition. Draft, develop, move.

Back