Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[610] Rick Smith Interview

Did anyone hear the whole thing? I came in the middle and I think Rick Smith was talking about Caldwell immediately coming in to compete with Chris Myers.

for certain, he said the following:

* they'll continue to look at ways to upgrade RB.
* A.Foster could be a very good back, called him a 3rd round prospect if not injured last season.
*A. Hill and blocking TEs are essential in order to run the ball vs. 3-4... Hill was "one of the top two blocking TEs in the draft"
* Quin will play CB for us... he's excited about the guy

Kyle Shanahan said that A.Caldwell would not be competing for the starting center because the team felt Meyers did a good job last year. I guess he didn't talk to the higher ups. Either way, I liked the Caldwell pick because his ability to play all 5 positions on the OL. It helps with the depth at Guard and Center.

Kyle Shanahan said that A.Caldwell would not be competing for the starting center because the team felt Meyers did a good job last year. I guess he didn't talk to the higher ups. Either way, I liked the Caldwell pick because his ability to play all 5 positions on the OL. It helps with the depth at Guard and Center.

He can play the 3 interior positions in the NFL.

Regarding SHanahan, I talked with Barrett about those comments. Barrett thought they were strong comments. While that may be true, I think he was just trying to show respect to the veteran leader of the oline. I'm pretty certain that this pick was made in order to upgrade the center position- whether in '09 or '10. Shanahan is young and inexperienced in those press conference environments and also likely isn't a central figure in the decision making process on draft day. Other than showing respect for Myers, I wouldn't read anything into his comments.

Regarding SHanahan, I talked with Barrett about those comments. Barrett thought they were strong comments. While that may be true, I think he was just trying to show respect to the veteran leader of the oline. I'm pretty certain that this pick was made in order to upgrade the center position- whether in '09 or '10. Shanahan is young and inexperienced in those press conference environments and also likely isn't a central figure in the decision making process on draft day. Other than showing respect for Myers, I wouldn't read anything into his comments.

Yeah that's why I said I guess he didn't speak with the higher ups about this.

When it comes to who starts at center, either way you look at it this pick does help with the depth at C or Guard.

I think Myers will start off as the starter, but I think if Caldwell plays well enough he can take it...

When Shanahan says that he wasn't drafted as a replacement, that means that they are gonna assume Myers is the better man for the job until proven otherwise...

I think Myers will start off as the starter, but I think if Caldwell plays well enough he can take it...

When Shanahan says that he wasn't drafted as a replacement, that means that they are gonna assume Myers is the better man for the job until proven otherwise...

And that will be proven in short order.

Eventually, I wouldn't mind a semi rotation with him like Saalam last year. Let him play every 3rd or so series if he can hang to get some PT. Either at G or C

Exactly. It's your basic "coach speak." I mean, what is a coach going to do? "Yeah, Myers has sucked pretty badly. So we're bringing in the new big stud to replace him." Uhh, no.

There will be a training camp battle, and if Caldwell is who we think he is (cue Dennis Green)...he will win out by the time rgeular season starts. And Myers and him might go back and forth throughout the season.

Caldwell might even have to play along the line, as well. You never know.

Back