Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

5th Round pick (1B) DJ Reader DT Clemson

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
21. I mentioned D.J. Reader earlier in observations and this is the second time I’ve seen him in pads in 2016. I’ve told the story of seeing him at the Senior Bowl down in Mobile and how he stonewalled everyone in their tracks. That got everyone’s attention. I’d been waiting to see whether that would translate at this level and guessed that it would when the pads went on. It certainly did. He moves like an edge rusher and can get his hips turned when necessary. He’s strong as an ox. More good things are needed from him and they’re coming.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
6. Rookie defensive tackle D.J. Reader showed his strength and ability to hold the point when he was double teamed and defeated it without getting moved off the ball. That youngster is stout, to say the least.

10. Executive VP and GM Rick Smith shared a story with us about the relationship growing between the rookie D.J. Reader and Wilfork. At least once every practice, I see the two of them talking at a break in the action. There’s no way to put a price tag on the value of a seasoned veteran like Wilfork spending that time with a rookie still trying to find his way in this professional world.

Nice to see big Vince taking Reader under his wing. Hopefully they aren't just comparing notes on their favourite BBQ joints.

chenjy9

Rookie
6. Rookie defensive tackle D.J. Reader showed his strength and ability to hold the point when he was double teamed and defeated it without getting moved off the ball. That youngster is stout, to say the least.

10. Executive VP and GM Rick Smith shared a story with us about the relationship growing between the rookie D.J. Reader and Wilfork. At least once every practice, I see the two of them talking at a break in the action. There’s no way to put a price tag on the value of a seasoned veteran like Wilfork spending that time with a rookie still trying to find his way in this professional world.

Nice to see big Vince taking Reader under his wing. Hopefully they aren't just comparing notes on their favourite BBQ joints.
Good BBQ can inspire acts of great agility. You remember Wilfork busting out his groove cooking BBQ? I would love for Reader to show the same ability. :D Hopefully Blacks in Lockhart is on their list. Their briskets melt in your mouth and the turkey was amazing.

Reactions: ROO

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Really excited to watch Reader this preseason. He should get a ton of playing time since they'd like to limit Wilfork's reps to keep him fresh for regular season.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Really excited to watch Reader this preseason. He should get a ton of playing time since they'd like to limit Wilfork's reps to keep him fresh for regular season.
I feel like they did that last year and Wilfork started slow because it took time to get into game shape.

I wonder if he'll play more this year to get in game shape earlier on.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Can't remember where I read it but in half line drills Jeff Allen panckaed Reader.

Thought I'd keep the thread fair and balanced.

Doesn't surprise me. Reader may be strong and will go ok one on one but he'll have a lot to learn in the dark arts of pro line play. Hopefully he remembers that one and won't get caught out again.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
6, The half line drill was made for rookie D.J. Reader. I'm not sure I've seen many defensive tackles that can not only stay strong versus the double team, but push back against it. I saw him do that in a rep today. He has continued to impress.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Can't remember where I read it but in half line drills Jeff Allen panckaed Reader.

Thought I'd keep the thread fair and balanced.

Doesn't surprise me. Reader may be strong and will go ok one on one but he'll have a lot to learn in the dark arts of pro line play. Hopefully he remembers that one and won't get caught out again.
yep I want rookies schooled but not in a regular game.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
This kid is going to be a beast. What a value pick up. Can't wait to see him play on Sunday.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
19. During pass rush one-on-ones, interior linemanD.J. Reader completely whipped a Saints lineman. If you blinked, you missed it. Yep, it was that quick. The lineman tried to quick set Reader and the former Clemson product went by the Saints lineman in a snap.

He had similiar success on the fumble he caused in the first game. Nice to think Reader might be more than just a run clogger.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Would be interesting how he would have done if he had not missed any college games due to dad's death; but then he might not have been fifth rounder.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think most of us like to know of stories that turn out well. Reader and Still come to mind and IIRC a few more on team.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Health permitting we could be much improved on the D line....
Bunch of guys out there I really don't known deep into the depth chart. But I like the energy & effort, the physicality. Just need to put it together, work as a team.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Reader had his first start on Sunday and put up some stats. He had two solo tackles, one tackle for a loss, one quarterback hit and one sack.

Video of his first NFL sack:

Be interested to hear from the film junkies what they saw from him.

Insideop

All Pro
Reader had his first start on Sunday and put up some stats. He had two solo tackles, one tackle for a loss, one quarterback hit and one sack.

I'm no film junkie but I did hear them talking about him on sports radio 610 this afternoon (I think it was Lopez.) and they basically said he had a good game and should get the bulk of the playing time going forward even after Vince recovers from his groin injury. They also said Vince would probably not be here next season and either would retire or be on another team. So maybe, just maybe, BOB/RAC and Smith hit on a 5th rounder! :hurrah: Now the only question is, who is backing him up? Did any of the "film junkies" see who was in there when Reader came out for a breather? Was it Dunn?

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame

He has more stats than Vince had this season. bye bye vince.
Vince still commands attention that Reader doesn't. Vince's impact doesnt show in his stats.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Vince still commands attention that Reader doesn't. Vince's impact doesnt show in his stats.
I thought Vince started the year strong but his age started to show a bit. hopefully this time off is giving him time to recharge. I'd like to see him give us another four games, then ease off the gas a little then come strong again for the playoffs.

michaelm

vox nihili
Will Wilfork be back for Monday nights game? If so I think moving him over to DT, and leaving Reader at NT would be a move worth considering against the Raiders huge OL. That would allow Clowney to move back to OLB, at least for this game if not permanently.
Vince played DT his last year with the Patriots and played well IIRC.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Max

Max

Veteran
Will Wilfork be back for Monday nights game? If so I think moving him over to DT, and leaving Reader at NT would be a move worth considering against the Raiders huge OL. That would allow Clowney to move back to OLB, at least for this game if not permanently.

Thoughts?
Vince was primarily lined up at DT in the Lions game w/ Reader at NT when they both played together. It allowed Clowney to get back outside and he looked much better there. I think this is our best DL lineup, but I'm not as high on Vince as many are around here. I think he's playing better than last year, but he's not standing up to double teams as well as I'd like and his pursuit is virtually non existant. He's still playing better than Covington though IMO.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Thoughts?
We don't really want Clowney at OLB.

we want to keep Mercilus, & Simon on the field as much as possible. to get Clowney on the field as much as possible, we need him to play Jj's spot. keep Covington or Heath on the sideline.

he basically plays 4-3 DE in what looks like a 3-4... unless it's a 85%+ run down. then he lines up like a traditional 3-4 DE. even though he is undersized.

michaelm

vox nihili
We don't really want Clowney at OLB.

we want to keep Mercilus, & Simon on the field as much as possible. to get Clowney on the field as much as possible, we need him to play Jj's spot. keep Covington or Heath on the sideline.

he basically plays 4-3 DE in what looks like a 3-4... unless it's a 85%+ run down. then he lines up like a traditional 3-4 DE. even though he is undersized.
I'm afraid he will get mauled by the Raiders OL. They are huge, and athletic

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm afraid he will get mauled by the Raiders OL. They are huge, and athletic
I used to love watching Demeco & Cush slip tackles back in the day. Huge offensive linemen couldn't set their blocks.

going to be kinda hard for Clowney since he is on the line.... just thinking out loud.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Wilfork is still helping DJ by critiquing film.
When it's all said and done giving Reader that exposure to Vince Wilfork and the chance to be mentored by him might end up being the single best thing about the Wilfork signing. You don't really know which players are going to take to that role as they get older and it's not something I really expected out of Wilfork when they brought him in but the way it worked out was just perfect.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I'll be honest I'd love to get a first-round pick and lose Reader. I'd move Blackson to the nose and play Omenihu on the line opposite Watt.
I hope if the HC/GM is thinking this then he tries this out to see if the players do as good as Reader. Don’t do it when you have the chance to see it work in action.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think O'Brien would be open to it as he is already played Blackson and Omenihu at DE. Dunn has played some NT but Blackson is interesting. If only Carlos Watkins could give us his 2016 Clemson production I would be ecstatic.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
The best 3-4 DT's get 10-11M. And that's all of two of them.

And that number drops off sharply after them.

Fletcher Cox, Grady Jarrett, Geno Atkins, and Aaron Donald are different.

I'm thinking Reader gets something around $6-8m …. could be wrong but I feel like that's a good deal for both sides.