Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

5th Round ( 171st Overall pick) Isaiah Coutler, Rhode Island

281Texan

Waterboy
I see alot of ppl sleeping on this guy but I am extremely excited for him. I think his floor is Kenny Stills. I think his ceiling is Stefon Diggs or better. I really like him. He's from a small school and got by nicely with his physical tools. He also likely didn't have the elite coaching needing to polish his routes. If he can refine his route running, he's a starter year 2 in my opinion. He will definitely make the roster.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
He also likely didn't have the elite coaching needing to polish his routes.
Where's is he going to get that "elite" coaching here? Coutee is a healthy scratch every week because of his sub par route running. Coulter is really going to have his work cut out for him.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I see alot of ppl sleeping on this guy but I am extremely excited for him. I think his floor is Kenny Stills. I think his ceiling is Stefon Diggs or better. I really like him. He's from a small school and got by nicely with his physical tools. He also likely didn't have the elite coaching needing to polish his routes. If he can refine his route running, he's a starter year 2 in my opinion. He will definitely make the roster.
Thanks for the info 281. If you are correct he will be a steal for us. We may have to transition to him in 2021 from one of the others.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Where's is he going to get that "elite" coaching here? Coutee is a healthy scratch every week because of his sub par route running. Coulter is really going to have his work cut out for him.
I am hoping that the issue with wide receivers as a group has been on ability to stay on the field and hopefully not John Perry.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I am hoping that the issue with wide receivers as a group has been on ability to stay on the field and hopefully not John Perry.
Just saying. Even with WRs missing games with injury, Coutee still can't get on the field. And Coulter isn't known for his route running ability, from everything I'm reading about him, that is. Never saw the dude play.

No doubt he's got talent, and he used that to his advantage against the lesser competition of D1-2A, but he won't have that advantage in the NFL, so coaching him up is going to be that much more critical, and I have concerns with that more than I do the player.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Just saying. Even with WRs missing games with injury, Coutee still can't get on the field. And Coulter isn't known for his route running ability, from everything I'm reading about him, that is. Never saw the dude play.

No doubt he's got talent, and he used that to his advantage against the lesser competition of D1-2A, but he won't have that advantage in the NFL, so coaching him up is going to be that much more critical, and I have concerns with that more than I do the player.
I ask myself why is Coutee still on roster? If he makes it thru final cut, it will not be his cheap contract as that can be replaced. He won't be in doghouse if ever was. If here, maybe Obrien wants him here. Like Fuller, may be it is Keke's time to be healthy a full season. If I am going to root for Fuller I might as well root for Coutee.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think Coutee's biggest problem was getting the plays/routes down. Maybe another season with the playbook and this off-season might've helped him. He certainly has the tools to be a good receiver.....provided he's worked hard this off-season to improve his route running and playbook knowledge.

Last edited:

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I think Coutee's biggest problem was getting the plays/routes down. Maybe another season with the playbook and this off-season might've helped him. He certainly has the tools to be a good receiver.....provided he's worked hard this off-season to improve his route running and playbook.
Keke has to be behind Cobb. Not many kids come in and wreck shop like he did against the Colts, but he is just not consistent with his knowledge/routes and health. That will get you the dog house 100% of the time. I prefer his upside over Carter so he can make the team if he cleans that stuff up. The 55 vs 53 roster could mean an extra WR with the health issues we have had. Would Coulter survive being placed on the practice squad if they want him to learn, develop, and get stronger for a year?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Keke has to be behind Cobb. Not many kids come in and wreck shop like he did against the Colts, but he is just not consistent with his knowledge/routes and health. That will get you the dog house 100% of the time. I prefer his upside over Carter so he can make the team if he cleans that stuff up. The 55 vs 53 roster could mean an extra WR with the health issues we have had. Would Coulter survive being placed on the practice squad if they want him to learn, develop, and get stronger for a year?
I could see Coutee working really hard this offseason and improving because his career depends on it. I really think Coutee is trade bait like Rankin was.

If Coulter shows anything at all, he will atleast be a PS member.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I understand Carter's numbers as a returner are at the top of the league, but he just don't look like he's doing much on returns.

Is there a yards per return stat?

I hope we're looking to improve at punt/kick returner
Texans were 22nd in kickoff returns, 5th in punt returns at 9.7, but 8-10 yards is a large group of 9 teams, Colts led punt returns over 17 per clip. I think with our ST coaching most guys could return like Carter, as you said, no wiggle or explosiveness, just goes forward and gets what is there. He is dependable and I don't fear ST plays anymore

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Overall, the KeKe stuff has been under discussed. If Coutee had been progressing properly, there should have been no need for either the Cobb or Cooks transaction. Take your pick.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Texans were 22nd in kickoff returns, 5th in punt returns at 9.7, but 8-10 yards is a large group of 9 teams, Colts led punt returns over 17 per clip. I think with our ST coaching most guys could return like Carter, as you said, no wiggle or explosiveness, just goes forward and gets what is there. He is dependable and I don't fear ST plays anymore
I do Carter is a fumbler.

Not just the K.C. game either.

Number19

Hall of Fame
There's a good write up in the Chronicle this morning on the difficulty UDFAs are going to have this year to make an impression, and make the team, because there will be no OTA's and only these virtual sessions. But, Coulter received the largest guaranteed money, $75,000, to sign with the Texans; and NT Auzoyah Alufohai the second highest at $65,000. Both of these players were clearly on the Texans radar, were in constant contact with the organization and were being played as soon as we were finished drafting in the 6th round. At the least, they should make the PS.

Here's a good write up on Alufohai :

Number19

Hall of Fame
I am very impressed with this interview and with Coulter. Seems to be very articulate and understands the in and outs of the position. Seems to have the right attitude and desire to do what is required to succeed. This uncommon year will make it hard for him, for all rookies, at first, but looking down the road, I think this signing could be a gem.

There's a good write up in the Chronicle this morning on the difficulty UDFAs are going to have this year to make an impression, and make the team, because there will be no OTA's and only these virtual sessions. But, Coulter received the largest guaranteed money, $75,000, to sign with the Texans; and NT Auzoyah Alufohai the second highest at $65,000. Both of these players were clearly on the Texans radar, were in constant contact with the organization and were being played as soon as we were finished drafting in the 6th round. At the least, they should make the PS.

Here's a good write up on Alufohai :
To piggyback, this offseason will be challenging for any of the newcomers. Cooks may be the exception since he has been on a team that has similar principles. Even if the OC varies from the current playbook, I fear there will not be enough time to get it properly implemented. For the rookies on offense and defense, their progression could be painful whenever the season begins. I'm rooting for Coutler to make the team.

281Texan

Waterboy
That may absolutely be true. Who knows. But as far as Coutee goes, I think it's more cerebral than anything. I think he needs to develop and become more mature, something you can't really coach up. He doesn't have a ton of awareness on the field due to the fact that he played in that air raid offense at Tech where they rely more on quick, one read routes instead of articulate route running. Once he or anyone gets in OB's dog house (drops, not being where he needs to be) it's pretty much impossible to get out. Now, Zay is at a disadvantage because of this Covid BS but if he can pick up the playbook and work on being a better route runner, he absolutely has a future in this league.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Any else find it ironic that a team with a complicated playbook, requires WRs to read coverage and be good route runners have Coutee, Mitchell, and Coulter who struggle with......route running?
You haven't seen Coulter run a single route and you're putting him in this group?

OptimisticTexan

Any else find it ironic that a team with a complicated playbook, requires WRs to read coverage and be good route runners have Coutee, Mitchell, and Coulter who struggle with......route running?
Time to take a page out of the Watson first 6 NFL games playbook. Simplify and play to each receivers strength. Surprise the Colts wth the unexpected versus the predictable. Cooks will draw the coverage so one of these receivers should be in jet mode on every play since they'll more than likely be seeing single man coverage. It would also be nice to see some 2 TE formations where they're actually targeted as receivers.

OptimisticTexan

Watching this Coulter film again better updated me as to what his potential may be after being in the NFL up to this point.

Combine and 2019 Season results:
6'-2" @ 198 / 4.45-40 / VJ: 36" / BJ: 121"
G: 11 / C: 72 / YDS: 1,039 / YPC: 14.4 / TD: 8

I'm curious if he has put on any NFL weight due to diet and lifting? At Rhode Island he was obviously the focus in the receiving game for DC's. His 4.45-40 speed looks good on paper but t didn't look that fast on film.

But I will take into consideration that with defenses focusing on him....he definitely faced defenders at the line and at least one over the top who had the angles when covering Coulter. This could make determining his ability to get behind defenders a bit more difficult. One thing for certain...Cooks will pull the double coverage and Coulter will see man with the defense counting on Watson to focus his throws elsewhere.

Again, the best move Kelly and Watson could do against the Colts is get Coulter involved early and hopefully catch them sleeping. It would certainly shake-up the expected coverage scheme if they could involve him early and with some success.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Watching this Coulter film again better updated me as to what his potential may be after being in the NFL up to this point.

Combine and 2019 Season results:
6'-2" @ 198 / 4.45-40 / VJ: 36" / BJ: 121"
G: 11 / C: 72 / YDS: 1,039 / YPC: 14.4 / TD: 8

I'm curious if he has put on any NFL weight due to diet and lifting? At Rhode Island he was obviously the focus in the receiving game for DC's. His 4.45-40 speed looks good on paper but t didn't look that fast on film.

But I will take into consideration that with defenses focusing on him....he definitely faced defenders at the line and at least one over the top who had the angles when covering Coulter. This could make determining his ability to get behind defenders a bit more difficult. One thing for certain...Cooks will pull the double coverage and Coulter will see man with the defense counting on Watson to focus his throws elsewhere.

Again, the best move Kelly and Watson could do against the Colts is get Coulter involved early and hopefully catch them sleeping. It would certainly shake-up the expected coverage scheme if they could involve him early and with some success.
I'm looking forward to seeing him play. We need to find out about this guy.