Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

3rd and Goal

SBTexans08

Rookie
They run for the 3rd time...the same play! Why settle for 3? Why run the same play 3 times? Bad coaching IMO. I hope that doesn't come back and bite us later in the season. We lucked out with those Dunta picks and that fumble returned back for a TD by Sharper.

I'm so happy we won and the Texans played passionately from my point of view but that redzone situation, running the same play 3 times with Sapp and Washington in there, just wasn't a good call. Why settle for 3? With that field goal we had just got the 3 point lead. Oakland came marching right back but of course got INTd by #23. But what if they score?? Oakland would have still had a chance.

What if they had score on that 3rd and goal running the same play....okay, fine but they didn't and Oakland was still in the game at that point. Run a play action reverse and hit Billy Miller for Christ's sake...not the same play 3 times in a row to only settle for 3 when you're tied in the 3rd QTR. Just a vent...and my :twocents:

If we had gotten in it wouldnt even be an issue right now but yes it was a bad call and imo it was the only bad call all day. We won the game handedly so why is this an issue? The coaching staff had one of their best games on Sunday.

I tend to agree with Reddevil63. Very rarely does a team have a perfect game called by it's coaches. That was one series and maybe it's just the afterglow of a really nice win and second half performance but I'm focusing more on the drive that ended with the AJ touchdown catch. That was what we've all been waiting to see Carr and Johnson do since they were put together. I think in the long run we'll see more of that this season than the three straight runs by Wells.

Ahhh...I stand corrected. Yes, it was the only bad call of the afternoon so it is excusable but considering the situation we were in....had we not won that game, this topic would have been up before I showed up this morning.

I think this play was addressed by Capers as an audible by Carr. Maybe he saw something that made him think another run might work. I know that at the time I said a few ****no no's at the tv. However, I would usually go with runs inside the 10 yard line. With a compressed field to throw in, it is too easy to intercept or block a pass even to a tight end. That's why we need a 260 lb power back to punch for 2-3 yds on the goal line or with 3rd and short. Wells looked good over all but I still ain't convince he has the power needed.

Meloy said:
I think this play was addressed by Capers as an audible by Carr. Maybe he saw something that made him think another run might work. I know that at the time I said a few ****no no's at the tv. However, I would usually go with runs inside the 10 yard line. With a compressed field to throw in, it is too easy to intercept or block a pass even to a tight end. That's why we need a 260 lb power back to punch for 2-3 yds on the goal line or with 3rd and short. Wells looked good over all but I still ain't convince he has the power needed.

That's also what I heard. Carr changed the call at the line. The Boo's were loud on that third run (yeah, I was adding to them) and it was a very frustrating three plays indeed. Later in the game you note he didn't just audible off to the run but called a timeout and then popped Andre with that sweet TD. Maybe it was just pure, blind, stupid luck but I'm hoping that was a very clear example of DC learning.

Okay then thanks for clearing that up guys. I didn't hear Capers mentioning situation. That changes things totally. Carr sees a weakness and audibles.

I forgot about that....the crowd booing, how could I. Texans coaching staff was booed BIG TIME for that. That was enough....with that, this thread wasn't needed.

Sorry coaching staff....the boos were enough!! idonno:

You could tell it was an audible when Carr looked to the left and saw something he didn't like. He even turned back to the running backs and one of them shifted from the backfield to the end, the direction they were about to run to.

Problem is, if I knew he had just audibled to a run.....

When 70,000 fans start booing the home team for a playcall, maybe it's a little off, hmmm? Palmer seems to call a sharp game all game and then invariably he has a brain cramp. I understand Carr audibled, but if I understand correctly (and I very well may not), Carr goes in with a package and has the option to audible to a backup play in case he sees the first one isn't going to work. That's fine, but when you're in certain situations, the backup play needs to fit the situation just as much as the primary play.

Regardless, we won, and we are making strides with the offense. It's nice to see Carr getting the chance to show his ability and it's really nice that they involved AJ as much as they did. I'm not piling on the playcalling, but I think when it comes to how they playcall, they should dance with who brought 'em.

That was a horrible audible. when you beat your head against a closed door twice and it hurts, you might actually want to think about opening the door, then walking through it. Very poor choice, whether a called play or an audible. As the previous poster said, the second choice needs to actually have a chance to succeed as much as the first option.

Two other nits I can pick is why Capers did not challange the spot with the Carr scramble. It was a bad spot. And even if they choose not to challenge, why rush the next play. I thought the whole thing was discombulated.

Lastly, the end of first half time management/play selection was very poor imho. They could have gotten 3 on the board with ease had they managed that properly.

All in all, even with the aforementioned issues, I felt the play selection was really good overall. They have really mixed things up by down and distance much better the last two weeks, and added a few wrinkles to boot. Two thumbs way up for this new picture show! :thumbup :thumbup

Porky said:
That was a horrible audible. Very poor choice, whether a called play or an audible.

Two other nits I can pick is why Capers did not challange the spot with the Carr scramble. It was a bad spot. And even if they choose not to challenge, why rush the next play. I thought the whole thing was discombulated.

Lastly, the end of first half time management/play selection was very poor imho. They could have gotten 3 on the board with ease had they managed that properly.

Wow, somebody actually saw the flaws the same way I did! To be honest, compared with previous outings, I was THRILLED with the play-calling in general this time, especially on Defense. Now comes the first "real" test of the year against a playoff contender!

Anyone else irritated that Simmons hit didn't make the "Jacked Up" segment on NFL countdown last night? :crazy:

disaacks3 said:
Anyone else irritated that Simmons hit didn't make the "Jacked Up" segment on NFL countdown last night? :crazy:
I confess I don't pay much attention to "Jacked UP," but I think I heard somewhere they don't pick plays where someone was hurt. I think Sims stayed down and perhaps that was a factor in their decision.

Just a guess.

Porky said:
That was a horrible audible ...
I believe Capers said in his radio show that Carr had a package of plays and when he saw that it was only a 3 man rush, with 8 back (I think we all heard before the game that the Raiders either rushed 8 (all out blitz) or dropped 8), he was to audible to a run. Capers went on to say that the Raiders had 7 defenders lined across the goalline.

Porky said:
Two other nits I can pick is why Capers did not challange the spot with the Carr scramble. It was a bad spot ...
Capers agreed with you on his radio show. He said that on the tape, the spot was clearly wrong and it was too bad they didn't challenge it. He said he is reluctant to use a challenge (potential to lose time out and right to challenge future, potentially more important plays) unless the 'guys upstairs' saw the problem on a replay. He said they didn't say anything about it (perhaps they didn't replay it in time, I don't recall)

I believe Capers said in his radio show that Carr had a package of plays and when he saw that it was only a 3 man rush, with 8 back (I think we all heard before the game that the Raiders either rushed 8 (all out blitz) or dropped 8), he was to audible to a run.
That's exactly what he said. Carr has a suite of plays that he can call in those situations. The Raiders were poised to drop at least 7 and possibly 8 into the endzone on that play so they thought they had the run. The pass should have been on 2nd not 3rd. I don't know about anyone else but the thought of Carr throwing the ball into the endzone from the 7 with twice as many defenders as receivers back there scares the hell out of me. I would have liked 7 but the 3 wasn't a total disaster at that point. It beat the hell out of an INT. The Texans ran 65 plays Sunday and if all we have to ***** about is 2 or 3, I'd say that Palmer did a pretty good job.

Back