Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

3rd and 1/2 a yard.

stingray

Hall of Fame
And you pass two plays in a row.. Kubiak, you really think you are a genius don't you? You moron...

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Is what may lose this game. How can Kubes ok a pass just bothers me to no end.
No faith in his offensive line and running back. That's sad. We had two shots at gaining a yard and we conceded that we couldn't get it on the ground TWICE.

Texans Pride

Veteran
That was the most ridiculous play call I've seen this year. Your faced with inches....go with a high conversion percentage play, not a cocky prayer into the end zone.

mussop

Hall of Fame
No faith in his offensive line and running back. That's sad. We had two shots at gaining a yard and we conceded that we couldn't get it on the ground TWICE.

For all those who say our offense is fine we need to draft all defense I give xzibit a. Our Ol was outplayed all day.

Last edited:

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Is what may lose this game. How can Kubes ok a pass just bothers me to no end.
Kubiak believed he was God. All he needed to do was run it in with Matt or Slaton. Hell, Leach would have been the best choice as he busts heads daily. This loss really irritates me.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Kubiak believed he was God. All he needed to do was run it in with Matt or Slaton. Hell, Leach would have been the best choice as he busts heads daily. This loss really irritates me.
No he just watched the Raiders DL ***** slap our OL all day and knew we had a better chance any where but up the middle.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
What the F? I don't understand this at all. I don't even know what to say about it.

No he just watched the Raiders DL ***** slap our OL all day and knew we had a better chance any where but up the middle.
So he decides to throw it twice? No, I don't care what their DL is doing. Stupid as hell playcalling. Anyone who thinks that playcalling isn't stupid needs to get checked out.

PapaL

Loose Screw
You know what - We should have put Turk in the game and run the WildTurkey Offense. It worked so well the last time we "used" it. Whats the worse that could have happened?

IlliniJen

Hall of Fame
It's either he has no faith in his line (which makes no sense) or he thinks he's an offensive genius, and can out think the other team.

I don't care which one it is. I'm SICK TO DEATH of mediocrity and stupidity. I don't have to be a big fat freakin' 160+ IQ-owning Smarty McSmartypants to know that YOU GO WITH THE HIGH PERCENTAGE PLAY of running the damn ball behind Vonte Leach with freakin' half a yard to go.

I abhor stupidity and poor decision making. ABHOR IT. As in, I hate it. Loathe it. Believe it should be purged from the earth in a great white hot fire. And guess who's "*****" list Kubiak just landed up on. Mine.

I'm done with Kubiak. I want proven winners. Guys who know how to prepare for games and how to manage them. I want coaches who will run it up the gut mercilessly on 3rd and 1/2 a yard. I want coaches who don't "out think" themselves out of games. Kubiak is NOT a genius. He is a gimmick who saw some little bit of success and now he's exposed like a stripper who just had a pasty malfunction.

I sat watching those two third and forth down plays with my mouth agape. I looked like Dom Capers as those two plays unfolded. You're supposed to put your team in the position to win the damn game, not try some trickeration when it's freakin' not necessary. Want some trickeration, Kubes? How about you prepare your team to expect onsides kicks? How's about that?

I'M DONE with Kubiak. D-U-N. DONE. This guy is a joke of a head coach.

spurstexanstros

Texans Rising
I think they should have run the toss play instead of running into the back of the o-line .. it worked against Tenn.. they didnt even try it today

Hervoyel

BUENO!
And that changes with plays like converting a first down on the ground to keep a drive alive down at the goal line. You don't take that away from the defense by just not doing it.

Schaub could have sneaked that over with very little trouble. You give a defense the idea that you're scared to run up the middle to get a yard and you give them a huge lift. You confirm that by telling your offense to not even try once and you pull the rug right out from under them.

euro-Texan

Rookie
I would have done the same thing. 9 out of 10 times we would have caught one of those, but I really doubt we would have dome anything against a goalline D unless we gave it to Leach again. We need a bruiser type back.

Pantherstang84

@rolisrgti06
It's either he has no faith in his line (which makes no sense) or he thinks he's an offensive genius, and can out think the other team.

I don't care which one it is. I'm SICK TO DEATH of mediocrity and stupidity. I don't have to be a big fat freakin' 160+ IQ-owning Smarty McSmartypants to know that YOU GO WITH THE HIGH PERCENTAGE PLAY of running the damn ball behind Vonte Leach with freakin' half a yard to go.

I abhor stupidity and poor decision making. ABHOR IT. As in, I hate it. Loathe it. Believe it should be purged from the earth in a great white hot fire. And guess who's "*****" list Kubiak just landed up on. Mine.

I'm done with Kubiak. I want proven winners. Guys who know how to prepare for games and how to manage them. I want coaches who will run it up the gut mercilessly on 3rd and 1/2 a yard. I want coaches who don't "out think" themselves out of games. Kubiak is NOT a genius. He is a gimmick who saw some little bit of success and now he's exposed like a stripper who just had a pasty malfunction.

I sat watching those two third and forth down plays with my mouth agape. I looked like Dom Capers as those two plays unfolded. You're supposed to put your team in the position to win the damn game, not try some trickeration when it's freakin' not necessary. Want some trickeration, Kubes? How about you prepare your team to expect onsides kicks? How's about that?

I'M DONE with Kubiak. D-U-N. DONE. This guy is a joke of a head coach.
Gotta rep ya. I'm tired of grooming Denver's next HC. I'm tired of one of the worst defenses in the league. I'm just tired of it all.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
I'm as confused and frustrated by these calls by Kubiak as everyone else ?
I'd guess his explanation may be something along the lines of him needing to have one of those sessions about staring at himself in the mirror because he's to blame just like everyone else on the roster is.
The real deal here is that the game is meaningless. We're not going anyway this year. And we improved our position in the Draft by losing this meaningless game.
My real concern is that Kubiak might make a bonehead call in a game down the line that has real consequences ? Like playoff consequences ?

IlliniJen

Hall of Fame
I would have done the same thing. 9 out of 10 times we would have caught one of those, but I really doubt we would have dome anything against a goalline D unless we gave it to Leach again. We need a bruiser type back.
9 out of 10 times? Did you even SEE the forth down play? They had two, count 'em, TWO wideouts in the end zone with all 4 or 5 Raider secondaries dropping back. They didn't even have a TE release and for a third receiving option!

It's half a yard. HALF A YARD. I'll power-I that all day and run Slaton behind Vonte Leach. Or do as spurstexanstros suggested and run the sweep. Slaton has had a lot of success running to the outside. But we hardly use that play all day.

I just don't understand why the coaches insist on putting the Texans in situations that don't make sense considering we have a higher probability of success if we do the exact opposite of what they call.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
I'm getting tired of Kubiak as well. I want a tough coach that puts a fire under his players. Give me Bill Cowher. Please come to Houston Bill Cowher.

IlliniJen

Hall of Fame
The onsides kick has become a high percentage play against the Texans.

Welcome to the dark side, Jen. It's been lonely over here.
I am there, Lucky. I have come to a state of acceptance of my disdain for Kubes, Smith, et al. I love my Texans and I have an almost unreasonable and inexplicable belief that Schaub is still our QB of the future, but I'm sick of the coaches. I want proven winners now, not coordinators who are making a move up the food chain. Experiment is now over.

Back the Brinks truck up and make a play for Cowher. Promise him 40 virgins and a city named after him. Shower him with whatever he wants. How could he possibly view Cleveland as a better job given the players on each team over the Texans, if Cleveland is truly the job he's eyeing?

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
You know I get blasted a lot for being "negative". this is why. I'm not panicking this evening. I'm not making knee jerk posts....Did back in October for sure.

It was a classic trap game....we came in high with a four game win streak....they have been our female dogs for three games in a row. I didn't post it but I had a feeling. After the onside kick they never could get over the hump. Not just the coach but the whole team.

Gotta take the good and bad with Kubiak. He's not a very good field general coach yet. Clock management issues have been going on for three years now. Either he feels there isn't a problem or he doesn't know how to fix it. Raiders were fired up. And the team, including the coaching staff, is to young and inexperienced to over come the storm.

And up yours General John.....I look at things the way they are not the way I want them to be. Negative is leading a whole town down a prim rose path when you either don't know any better or too evil to give a damn. How do you like the warm fuzzy's this evening son ?

mattieuk

All Pro
Wanted to at the time, and still wish we had now. Think it was a major ****-up. Ok...you're so close, but I'll take one possession game, over a two anyday.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
One of things that had happened during the last few weeks was that we did things that good teams do...i.e. run or pass when every one in the building knew you needed to run or pass. NFL players and coaches are not "surprised" that often when you run in a passing situation,etc.

Still overall, Kubiak's play calling became pretty predictable in this game. Predictable in a non-agressive bad way that is. Not looking a game log, but it seemed like we passed on 1st down and then ran or made conservative pass on 2nd down. IMO, Oakland is a team you play attitude football against versus get cute and try to trick them. Last week we stood up to a bully, but this week we falled to punch a coward in the mouth.

eriadoc

Texan-American
That is it in a nutshell. I love Slaton, but when this team really NEEDS a yard, or when the other team knows we are going to have to run the ball, it doesn't get done. Kubiak doesn't trust his OL and he doesn't trust his RBs to get that tough yard. And why would he? They've spent most of the season demonstrating that when they really have to pick it up, they can't.

eriadoc

Texan-American
One of things that had happened during the last few weeks was that we did things that good teams do...i.e. run or pass when every one in the building knew you needed to run or pass. NFL players and coaches are not "surprised" that often when you run in a passing situation,etc.

Still overall, Kubiak's play calling became pretty predictable in this game. Predictable in a non-agressive bad way that is. Not looking a game log, but it seemed like we passed on 1st down and then ran or made conservative pass on 2nd down. IMO, Oakland is a team you play attitude football against versus get cute and try to trick them. Last week we stood up to a bully, but this week we falled to punch a coward in the mouth.
I'm not sure I agree with that assessment much. The Raiders dared us to run and we didn't get it done. They weren't stacking the box much, and we still didn't run the ball well. Slaton was met in the backfield all day. The Raiders DL just whipped the tar out of our OL. Kubiak just reverted to the one thing we do well, which is pass.

Tedc

Hardheaded
To add insult to injury on fourth down, Pubes burned a timeout only to go back to another passing play to the same receiver as third down.

I am with the intelligent people here. "Power I" the hell out of them on third or fourth and inches.

Tedc

Hardheaded
I'm not sure I agree with that assessment much. The Raiders dared us to run and we didn't get it done. They weren't stacking the box much, and we still didn't run the ball well. Slaton was met in the backfield all day. The Raiders DL just whipped the tar out of our OL. Kubiak just reverted to the one thing we do well, which is pass.
We only ran Slaton 18 times!! He does most of his damage late when the defense is tired.

I'm as confused and frustrated by these calls by Kubiak as everyone else ?
I'd guess his explanation may be something along the lines of him needing to have one of those sessions about staring at himself in the mirror because he's to blame just like everyone else on the roster is.
The real deal here is that the game is meaningless. We're not going anyway this year. And we improved our position in the Draft by losing this meaningless game.
My real concern is that Kubiak might make a bonehead call in a game down the line that has real consequences ? Like playoff consequences ?

Kind of like Jeff Fisher, who chose not to kick the field goal against the Texans last week? EVERY COACH MAKES DUMB DECISIONS! You guys are overreacting. You could also have real concerns that the Texans might fumble or miss a tackle at a crucial time. If they ran the ball on the third or fourth down play and didn't get it everyone would be saying they should have passed for the first down.

This game didn't matter. It didn't matter yesterday or the day before, or today, tomorrow...

Putting this game on Kubiak's calling plays is pretty pointless IMO.

BattleRedToro

Thread Killer
Kind of like Jeff Fisher, who chose not to kick the field goal against the Texans last week? EVERY COACH MAKES DUMB DECISIONS! You guys are overreacting. You could also have real concerns that the Texans might fumble or miss a tackle at a crucial time. If they ran the ball on the third or fourth down play and didn't get it everyone would be saying they should have passed for the first down.
Fisher chose not to attempt a long FG due to wind and the knowledgethat Bironas was unable to make FG's from that distance on that side of Reliant Stadium during pre-game practice.

That isn't the same as Kubiak not going for a run on 3rd and 1/2 Yard, when on 1st Down Slaton had run for 8 yards and then ran for 1 1/2 Yard on 2nd Down of the same series. The right play call at that point is some kind of run play on 3rd Down, followed by a FG attempt or another run on 4th Down if you don't convert on 3rd Down.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
This game didn't matter. It didn't matter yesterday or the day before, or today, tomorrow...

Putting this game on Kubiak's calling plays is pretty pointless IMO.
Well, games have not "mattered" since before Halloween.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Re: 3rd and 1/2 a yard.
A quick hand off to Leach on third and short and this would be a non-issue. He did it the first time, so let the big guy eat!

I really like Kubiak, but will admit he makes his share of mistakes. Hell, all coaches make mistakes every now and then.

I understand Kubiak deserves some of the blame, but the players lost this game.

maddogmrb

Rookie
I kinda agree with you. Everyone has been calling for a bruiser back all year and today in the 15th game of the season Vonta Leach gets his FIRST carry of the year! Yeah, that's utilizing your talent ..... ???

On the 2 short yardage plays, we/I always criticize Kubes for how conservative the offense gets in the red zone and so I can't be too critical of those calls. BOTTOM LINE IS THAT SCHAUB FAILED TO EXECUTE THE 4TH AND INCHES BY THROWING INTO TRIPLE COVERAGE.

Number19

Hall of Fame
For whatever reason, our OL is incapable of grinding out yardage - getting those tough yards inside the Red Zone. Maybe they simply don't have the talent, maybe it's the blocking scheme.

These guys are also giving up too much pressure on too many passing plays.

If we had run the ball twice and not gotten the TD, fans would be complaining. If we had run the ball once and passed once, and not gotten the TD, fans would be complaining. If we had passed the ball once and run the ball once and not gotten the TD, fans would be complaining. Fans would be complaining no matter what Kubes would have called, if we did not get the TD.

Bottom line, the coaches don't run the plays. Our linemen are simply failing to get the job done.

We don't have the continuity, in both players and coaching. So, do we give them one more year, as several commentators have suggested will happen, to get their **** together?

For the record, I was wanting the Power I formation, with a quick handoff to Leach.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I just wonder why Kubiak didn't take the gimmie fg and make this a one score game. We had the ball a couple of times after that but it was hopeless at that point since we still needed two scores. Perhaps Brown had dead legs and he was saving Kris for da bearz.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
A quick hand off to Leach on third and short and this would be a non-issue. He did it the first time, so let the big guy eat!

I really like Kubiak, but will admit he makes his share of mistakes. Hell, all coaches make mistakes every now and then.

I understand Kubiak deserves some of the blame, but the players lost this game.
QFT... Especially the last statement.

Well, games have not "mattered" since before Halloween.
True, but we're talking about this specific one. Really, if we're going to start pointing fingers we should still be pointing at Richard Smith and his defense. They were atrocious still. I can't believe the talk about letting him off the hook for another year has been circulating AT ALL but hopefully this game puts everything back into perspective for all eyes.

Just don't be mad about it...because the games haven't mattered for a while now...The knee-jerk posts are funny with how out-of-control some people's emotions get without any real perspective.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I just wonder why Kubiak didn't take the gimmie fg and make this a one score game. We had the ball a couple of times after that but it was hopeless at that point since we still needed two scores. Perhaps Brown had dead legs and he was saving Kris for da bearz.
I was wondering the same thing. Kubiak seems to think too much instead of just taking the points and living for the next drive. He did the same thing in the first game against the Titans. It could have been a one score game by the end of that one, too. But Kubiak seems to call plays based upon potential impact instead of looking at percentages.

Meet the new Texans. Same as the old Texans. We got fooled again.

disaacks3

Staff member
:mcnugget::spit:

By not even TRYING to run on 3rd OR 4th, the team was doomed to fail. If you can't convert 1/2 a yard on two attempts against the Raiders "D", then your guys can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

ATX

Hall of Fame
If they had run it twice in a row and got stuffed both times I could have lived with that alot easier than throwing 2 passes in the middle of the field into double and triple coverage. What gets me is on the 3rd down, they sent Slaton out of the backfield into motion letting the Raiders know we weren't going to run it. Our only options at that point were a QB sneak or a pass when we could have made the Raiders atleast defend against a possible run if Slaton were in the backfield.

Joe Texan

Inducted 04
Gary Kubiak has a real problem with running the football when we need to run the football, need I mention the colts game when we passed er fumbled our way to a loss. Not only did we lose it the first time the very next play from the offence was the exact same play jut to fumble it again.

Kubiak is on the Bubble and he should be, his record is terrible and his play calling and time keeping need to be relearned. Come on Gary turn the stinking page over and use some plays on the back PLEEEEEEASE.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Gary Kubiak has a real problem with running the football when we need to run the football, need I mention the colts game when we passed er fumbled our way to a loss. Not only did we lose it the first time the very next play from the offence was the exact same play jut to fumble it again.

Kubiak is on the Bubble and he should be, his record is terrible and his play calling and time keeping need to be relearned. Come on Gary turn the stinking page over and use some plays on the back PLEEEEEEASE.
That's one of your best posts Joe. I agree.

Motioning Slaton out of the backfield was dumb imo, as then the Raiders know it's either a sneak or a pass. It didn't catch them offguard at all.

I probably would have kicked at that point, but I was wavering. But, for the love of God if you are going to go for it in that situation take the high percentage play - either a sneak or a give to Slaton. Those have a much higher chance of success than some throw into the end zone in shuch short space.

Personally, I would have given to Slaton on 3rd and either kicked, or done it again on 4th. I mean if your line can't create a 1/2 yard in two plays you don't deserve to win anyway. Instead, Kubes pulled the rug out from his players to even try it. What kind of message does that send?

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Leach had the best chance of anyone to get in the endzone. I love what Slaton brings to the team, but a short yard/goal line back he is not.

Brandon Jacobs is the definition of the type of back needed. His overtime TD was impressive. HE actually moved the pile into the endzone without having to rely on his Olinemen to push him in.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I was wondering the same thing. Kubiak seems to think too much instead of just taking the points and living for the next drive. He did the same thing in the first game against the Titans. It could have been a one score game by the end of that one, too. But Kubiak seems to call plays based upon potential impact instead of looking at percentages.

Meet the new Texans. Same as the old Texans. We got fooled again.
a good friend told me at a previous game that he wished that Kubiak would stop trying to be the smartest guy in the room. I think it fits here too.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
I'm late to the party but I always like a play action play here and there so I actually could see the throw on 3rd down when they are expecting run. But that is knowing that you have two downs to get an inch. After that play fails you get the inch with a Sneak or Leach dive and get 4 more downs. Plain and simple. 3ed down was your shot. 4th down they played soft at the line and you should just take the downs.

If you want my Kubes perspective it was ANOTHER game with him apologizing afterward. That is about 6 or more this year...that is 4-5 too many.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Re: 3rd and 1/2 a yard.
Why would you kick the field goal on 3rd down? :stirpot:

Seriously though, I didn't have a problem with the 3rd down call as much as I did the 4th down play. First, the pass play and second, only sending two receivers out... Brainfart on Kubiak.

I would also like to say that the players should be held accountable for having allowed themselves to be in a hole - where it came down to needing two scores late in the 4th..

GP

Go Texans!
This was one of those "Kubiak sticks his head in the sand" games.

I felt like Schaub was fighting against a strong current that he wasn't going to be able to swim against. The playcalling was in stark contrast to the past two games.

Andre Johnson knows that if he is involved early, good things happen for the whole offense: Walter gets the ball, OD gets the ball, Slaton runs easier. In the past two games, the ball was fed to AJ early and often. In this game, we ran AJ down the field, they covered him perfectly. Why not jack it out to him on a quick slant, or a bubble screen, or any other combination of quick pass plays? Kubiak continued to run Schaub back on 7-step dropbacks, AJ deep down the field (being covered well) and the OL looked awful getting Schaub hurried and touched too much.

Schaub was not set up for success by the coaches.

Kubiak has a problem of getting too CUTE. The things that worked in the past four games? Apparently thrown out, with Kubiak taking a stroll into the deep forest in search of new, exciting things that he wanted to try...just to see if it would work. Because, after all, we did those other things well...let's see if we can do something else.

Kubiak, Kubiak, Kubiak. Like the old country saying goes: Just dance with the one who brung ya'. AJ makes everything better. This game is like the first Titans game where we didn't get it to AJ early enough, and then tried to force-feed it to him at the end of the game.

Hopefully we can go back to what got us the four-game win streak. Hopefully we can get a win at home next Sunday and pull off 8-8. OL and RB need help in rounds 1 and 2. Defense for the rest of the draft. Grab our token QB in round 6 or 7. Cut him when regular season begins. LOL.