Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

3.80 Texans Select Martinas Rankin OT Miss state

Patriots have more options. They also traded for RT Trent Brown and still have Cannon and Waddle.
I'm sure they'll let him compete but don't need him there necessarily.

Espn:
As mammoth offensive tackle Trent Brown made his way up the steps to the field at Gillette Stadium on Thursday, it was an in-person reminder of a big part of Bill Belichick's offseason plan: Building more depth at offensive tackle.

Belichick's words from last November explain why.

"You want to have depth at every position, but those guys are hard to find. If you’re tackle-poor, I think that can show up a lot quicker than being poor at other positions," Belichick said. "Tackle, you can help them a little bit, but they’re single-blocking most of the game.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...depth-was-big-part-of-patriots-offseason-plan

The Texans had a worse ot situation and made less upgrades in my view (brown> Henderson, Wynn>Rankin)

Surely draft wise but three offensive lineman via free agency softens blow.

That being said, tackle specific, I would have traded pick #66 (Reid) & pick #98 (Akins) to move up w/Pittsburgh #60 to select Brian O'Neill, LT, Pittsburgh. O'Neill went #62 Vikings.

Surely draft wise but three offensive lineman via free agency softens blow.

That being said, tackle specific, I would have traded pick #66 (Reid) & pick #98 (Akins) to move up w/Pittsburgh #60 to select Brian O'Neill, LT, Pittsburgh. O'Neill went #62 Vikings.

Not a fan of O’Neill. He’s extremely athletic for sure but more raw than other OL taken around him (including Rankin) and I am not sure he’ll ever have the innate uncoachable desire to crush his enemies, see them driven before him and hear the lamentations of their women that you want out of your OL.

Not a fan of O’Neill. He’s extremely athletic for sure but more raw than other OL taken around him (including Rankin) and I am not sure he’ll ever have the innate uncoachable desire to crush his enemies, see them driven before him and hear the lamentations of their women that you want out of your OL.

He is that proverbial piece of clay you could mold into something of value. Often wonder how Senior Bowl affected his grade on Texans board sense they got to see him up close and work with him. Guess not so much, lol

Patriots only traded a low 3rd rounder for Trent Brown.

I am sure SF gave the Texans a call to see if they could beat the offer.

Wish they did.

I'm not happy the NY Jets signed Bentley Spain as an UDFA....a 3 year LT from NC who was on the Outland Trophy watch list for the 2017 CFB season. This guy was a pure LT who needed to gain additional strength. Damn, as much as this team needed a functional LT, they could've gotten Spain for an UDFA contract. If he's not ready to contribute this season, no problem, just stash him on the PS for a season so he can be developed. He was a better option than Toth who had a 2 year military commitment before he could return to the football field. I'd throw another season to get into football shape and gain strength....that would be 3 years or 2021.

Patriots only traded a low 3rd rounder for Trent Brown.

I am sure SF gave the Texans a call to see if they could beat the offer.

Wish they did.
Brown just came off of shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum in Dec. The injury occurred in Nov, and he unsuccessfully attempted to play through it. He will definitely miss OTAs. If everything goes perfectly, he will not return before TC. Brown has always had a weight and conditioning problem. He doesn't like to work out. Rehab will be entirely dependent on how hard he works to come back. Important to note is that he is a RT...........his injury was to his right shoulder.............his containment shoulder.

Brown just came off of shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum in Dec. The injury occurred in Nov, and he unsuccessfully attempted to play through it. He will definitely miss OTAs. If everything goes perfectly, he will not return before TC. Brown has always had a weight and conditioning problem. He doesn't like to work out. Rehab will be entirely dependent on how hard he works to come back. Important to note is that he is a RT...........his injury was to his right shoulder.............his containment shoulder.

He's still worth taking a flyer on, which is what Belichick did.

The guy is talented.

He is that proverbial piece of clay you could mold into something of value. Often wonder how Senior Bowl affected his grade on Texans board sense they got to see him up close and work with him. Guess not so much, lol
Actually, O’Neil was on the North squad. OB coached the South squad. Do they have separate practices?

Back