Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

#23 - Oline Edition

Which OT would like to have with pick 23?

• Cody Ford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greg Little

• Jawaan Taylor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
The majority, both paid and amateur, agree that investing in protecting The Chosen One is most likely the most important area of emphasis this offseason. Free Agency wouldn't hurt, but it's draft time, and so let's look at who we want to focus that area of emphasis on ... in Round One.

Jonah Williams won't be there.

That leaves more than a handful of talented guys that have all at one point or another been rumored as a potential landing spot for the Texans. So the question ... with any combination of these guys hypothetically available at pick 23, and with no other considerations but these guys to help fix our offensive achilles, Texans fans ...

(in alphabetical order..)

Yodney Cajuste - 6'5, 312 - West Virginia

WVU-football-0918-Yodny-Cajuste-blocks-front.jpg

Andre Dillard - 6'5, 315 - Washington State

DJeq2QTUQAAQHYo.jpg

Cody Ford - 6'4, 329 - Oklahoma

gettyimages-1076269674-594x594.jpg

Greg Little - 6'5, 310 - Mississippi

46f3cf85718f069edca5328fb49c7dfa-original.jpg

Dalton Risner - 6'5, 312 - Kansas State

risner.jpg

Jawaan Taylor - 6'5, 312 - Florida

BBTimcD.img

... who ya got?

Last edited:
Dillard if he is there.
Little may fall to our #54, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Cajuste will be there, but if Kaleb McGary is there at #54 - :whoohoo:
Andre Dillard and Kaleb McGary with our first two picks?:bender::bravo:

Outside of Dillard, who'll be gone before 23.....Risner is the one I expect to be on the board. Risner is a sound and versatile OL who'll get his chance to lock down the RT position if selected.

Outside of Dillard, who'll be gone before 23.....Risner is the one I expect to be on the board. Risner is a sound and versatile OL who'll get his chance to lock down the RT position if selected.
So then who's gonna play left tackle for us if we don't draft him in the first round ?

So then who's gonna play left tackle for us if we don't draft him in the first round ?

Gaine and OB have mentioned they have a lot of faith in Davenport....me, I have zero. I want to see Gaine sign Trent Brown to lock down the LT position for the next 3 seasons guaranteed. Davenport will be backup and a cheap re-sign when the time comes. Brown can teach him the ropes....hell, I was going to say bridge but to bridge should be for a half to one season. Davenport needs to spend 3 seasons becoming a solid backup who might be able to start when Brown moves on.

Gaine and OB have mentioned they have a lot of faith in Davenport....me, I have zero. I want to see Gaine sign Trent Brown to lock down the LT position for the next 3 seasons guaranteed. Davenport will be backup and a cheap re-sign when the time comes. Brown can teach him the ropes....hell, I was going to say bridge but to bridge should be for a half to one season. Davenport needs to spend 3 seasons becoming a solid backup who might be able to start when Brown moves on.

Why in the world would someone with 4 years, 44 starts & possibly highest paid in the league need a bridge from a 2 year player with 19 starts?

Why give up a 28 year old after he has locked down the position?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...uting-combine-twelve-numbers-that-matter-most

4.92 seconds
N.C. State center Garrett Bradbury ran a 4.92-second 40-yard dash and put up 34 reps on the bench press. He is one of just four interior offensive linemen since 2003 to run a sub-5.0 40 and log at least 34 bench reps. And Bradbury's 10-yard split is even more predictive for NFL success: At 1.74 seconds, he kept his hips from lifting at an exceptional rate -- never more than 2.75 feet off the ground -- which has a strong correlation to protecting quarterbacks at the next level.

More info:
www.nfl.com/prospects/garrett-bradbury?id=32194252-4109-2951-18e8-697b9ff5297c

1.69 seconds
Boston College offensive guard Chris Lindstrom ran a nice 40 (4.91 seconds), but his 10-yard split of just 1.69 seconds is what really stood out. Lindstrom didn't allow his hips to lift more than 2.5 feet off the ground over that span. (If you can't tell, I have done a lot of work on O-line leverage -- and a lineman's ability to keep his hips down in the first 10-yard split of a 40 is strongly correlated to not allowing sacks. Lindstrom and Bradbury both fell into very favorable ranges.)

More info:
www.nfl.com/prospects/chris-lindstrom?id=32194c49-4e45-1080-da0b-72312551b1b2

I feel there are many Olinemen in this draft that will be available and can help the Texans.

More than originally thought.

:coffee:

Last edited:

Hopefully Trent Brown at LT and McGary or Risner at RT.

With his field work not being up to snuff (Due to coming off of lower leg injuries) Rumors are that Cajuste could fall to 54.

Hopefully Trent Brown at LT and McGary or Risner at RT.

With his field work not being up to snuff (Due to coming off of lower leg injuries) Rumors are that Cajuste could fall to 54.
I saw that about Cajuste as well. Apparently he didn’t look great in drills at the combine.

If Risner is there at #23 I don't think the Texans should pick him because of value. I'm not sure he is worth a 1st round grade. Instead I think they should go CB or even DE if there is better value with those picks. They will just have to get their OT in the 2nd round, and who knows, maybe Risner is still there for them!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...uting-combine-twelve-numbers-that-matter-most

4.92 seconds
N.C. State center Garrett Bradbury ran a 4.92-second 40-yard dash and put up 34 reps on the bench press. He is one of just four interior offensive linemen since 2003 to run a sub-5.0 40 and log at least 34 bench reps. And Bradbury's 10-yard split is even more predictive for NFL success: At 1.74 seconds, he kept his hips from lifting at an exceptional rate -- never more than 2.75 feet off the ground -- which has a strong correlation to protecting quarterbacks at the next level.

More info:

1.69 seconds
Boston College offensive guard Chris Lindstrom ran a nice 40 (4.91 seconds), but his 10-yard split of just 1.69 seconds is what really stood out. Lindstrom didn't allow his hips to lift more than 2.5 feet off the ground over that span. (If you can't tell, I have done a lot of work on O-line leverage -- and a lineman's ability to keep his hips down in the first 10-yard split of a 40 is strongly correlated to not allowing sacks. Lindstrom and Bradbury both fell into very favorable ranges.)

More info:

I feel there are many Olinemen in this draft that will be available and can help the Texans.

If all OTs are taken by 23, I’d consider drafting Bradbury to replace Martin if we were still thinking OL. Otherwise I’d look at CB.

4.92 seconds

More info:

1.69 seconds

More info:

There may be more O-linemen in this draft than originally thought that can help the Texans but most are interior OL. There is really only one LT in this draft that could be an immediate help (Dillard) and he will probably be long gone by #23. I do agree that between Bradbury, McCoy, and Lindstrom, if the Texans could snag one of them, it would be a good thing. Just not sure if they should go there at #23 or gamble and hope one of them is there in the 2nd round when they pick.

There may be more O-linemen in this draft than originally thought that can help the Texans but most are interior OL. There is really only one LT in this draft that could be an immediate help (Dillard) and he will probably be long gone by #23. I do agree that between Bradbury, McCoy, and Lindstrom, if the Texans could snag one of them, it would be a good thing. Just not sure if they should go there at #23 or gamble and hope one of them is there in the 2nd round when they pick.

Williams is being severely underrated. He's Cam Robinson. He's going to be a solid LT for along time in the NFL due to his outstanding technique. I also like Cajuste alot. Little is the wildcard. I'm not sure they should pick him at 23, but if he's there at 54 I would pick him.

Like it has been posted here, much depends on who we sign in free agency.

No telling what Clowney could fetch in a trade. Maybe high draft picks. My own pea brain tells me we need a LT more than we need JC.

If that happens a whole lot of options open up for #23. Drafting a center, to me, is the second most pressing need on our line. Either of the two I listed above would fit nicely. Maybe get both. A guard and a center. :)

All told this years draft is going to be more exciting to watch than last year.

Williams is being severely underrated. He's Cam Robinson. He's going to be a solid LT for along time in the NFL due to his outstanding technique. I also like Cajuste alot. Little is the wildcard. I'm not sure they should pick him at 23, but if he's there at 54 I would pick him.

While Williams could be there for the Texans at #23 and he could be a solid LT in the NFL, I'm not sure he "wowed" the scouts like Dillard did and there are questions about him being able to handle the long speedy edge rushers at the next level. I will say this, I wouldn't mind if the Texans did get him at #23 and let him decide with his play if he can handle LT or RT. As for Cajuste, injuries have been the big concern. I'm not sure if he will go in the 1st or 2nd, or even later depending on his medical evaluations by the teams interested in him. Little seems to be falling and will probably be there in the 2nd, like you said, unless he blows the scouts away at his Pro-Day. His Combine numbers were not impressive (5.33 in the Forty, 25" Vertical) for someone many thought could go in the 1st round.

Little seems to be falling and will probably be there in the 2nd, like you said, unless he blows the scouts away at his Pro-Day. His Combine numbers were not impressive (5.33 in the Forty, 25" Vertical) for someone many thought could go in the 1st round.
I was disappointed in Little. He wasn’t going to fix every technical flaw he had in a couple of months. One thing he needed to show was effort. He came into the combine out of shape, and that’s inexcusable. I would let another team figure out whether he’s ready to make a commitment to the game and himself. Lot of young, hungry smaller college prospects that are more worthy of a gamble.

Just saw a 7 round mock that had the Texans taking McCoy in the first and Cajuste and Kaleb McGary in the second. I'd be okay with that

Back