Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 UDFA Discussion

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Just downloaded Harris' guide. The pick which still confounds me is #2/62, Juice Scruggs. Harris has him #18 among IOL and #198 overall. The guide I use, Frank Coyle's Draftinsider didn't even profile him and had him ranked as an UDFA. Draftbuzz has him ranked #8 among Centers, #32 among IOL and #204 overall.

I understand he was a late riser, but I don't find why?
This draft after the first 15 picks or so guys were going to be pretty similarly rated through the next 100 or so picks and it all came down to the team’s evaluation. Add in that interior OL is a tough evaluation depending on scheme for teams as well and you get a broad range of evaluations for the same player.

The same publications had Wypler going day 2 but he dropped like a rock. Every year there are players that go way earlier than expected or fall for unknown (at the time) reasons. This year was said to be even worse than usual in that regard.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Just downloaded Harris' guide. The pick which still confounds me is #2/62, Juice Scruggs. Harris has him #18 among IOL and #198 overall. The guide I use, Frank Coyle's Draftinsider didn't even profile him and had him ranked as an UDFA. Draftbuzz has him ranked #8 among Centers, #32 among IOL and #204 overall.

His foot work was not only poor, but also very slow.

IMG_0365.jpeg
Here is Dane Bruglar’s description. Plus I think he did well in the Senior Bowl. Maybe our coaches just really connected with him there.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I just have a wait & see on Scruggs, but for now, he's the reason I drop the overall draft grade from an A to a B.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I just have a wait & see on Scruggs, but for now, he's the reason I drop the overall draft grade from an A to a B.
He was my least favorite pick. I wanted Michael-Schmitz at 33. Would have liked to have found a way to get in position to grab him. But if the team thinks Scruggs is good enough to take him where they took him i’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Just happy not going into the season with the “idea” of Justin Britt and Quessenberry as the only options!

Watched some footage of that guy. He's not quite Arian Foster. That gazelle grace that Foster had is just not equally replicated. Guy was a complete shithead off the field but on the field there weren't many like him.

This ASU guy looks pretty big and smooth though. Hope he has some nice success.
reminds me of clinton portis. what did he do off the field?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Lance had him as #15 OL including all the tackles and Lance has been a pretty good evaluator of OL

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Valladay looks very intriguing. Looks like the ideal back for an outside zone based scheme. Not wasting any time behind the line of scrimmage, no hesitancy…see the hole, explode through the hole…

He had some huge holes in his highlights but he displayed good vision and ability to read his blocks well.

He doesn’t appear like he’ll break many tackles but has the ability to make guys miss and simply outrun others.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame

I have no idea.

NFL.COM had him ranked 5th among Centers and PFF had him 6th.

But PFF also says that he's a fit for a zone scheme team and not great as a gap center. NFL.COM has him ranked as an eventual average starter.

NFL.COM had Stromberg rated in front of Scruggs by a very narrow margin, virtually the same grade. BUT... PFF had a higher zone grade on Stromberg and better ratings overall than Scruggs, but still rated Scruggs as a better prospect.

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go
That’s one heck of an agent.

Valladay is perfect for a zone scheme. Fell in draft because he “doesn’t create more than what’s blocked for him” according to LZ. But he makes one cut and GOES! Excellent burst through the line. And as long as the OL holds up their end of the bargain he will be adding some chunk gains with that play style. Plus, Pierce and Singletary will already have them worn out ;)
So he is only effective when the offensive line does their job. I think I'm okay with that.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
2-062: OC/OG- Juice Scruggs (Penn State)
6-201: OC/OG- Jarrett Patterson (Notre Dame)
UDFA: OC/OG- Dylan Deatherage (Western Michigan)
Roster: OG/OC- Michael Deiter

I believe the Texans are covering their bases, since the Center position is so vital this season.
Certainly volume, but all have significant question marks for being "the man" at center.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I have no idea.

NFL.COM had him ranked 5th among Centers and PFF had him 6th.

But PFF also says that he's a fit for a zone scheme team and not great as a gap center. NFL.COM has him ranked as an eventual average starter.

NFL.COM had Stromberg rated in front of Scruggs by a very narrow margin, virtually the same grade. BUT... PFF had a higher zone grade on Stromberg and better ratings overall than Scruggs, but still rated Scruggs as a better prospect.
I still liked Stromberg more than Scruggs. Stromberg had called the OL protections since the day he became the starter. Scruggs is here so let’s hope he can surprise everyone.