Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 UDFA Discussion

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Ali Gaye “fits the profile” of a DeMeco DL. Long with good measurables. Underachiever in college however. But could be a UDFA goldmine if he meets his potential like DL usually do under DeMeco. TDN had a 3rd round grade on him. LZ had him 5-6. Probably best value of the UDFAs announced so far.

Jared Wayne is intriguing. Went over 1000 yards at Pitt this season. Read conflicting reports that he ran 4.5 or 4.7 in the 40 but had a 41.5” vertical at pro day (higher than any WR at combine. Good size, good YAC WR. Good blocker in the run game. 6’3” 208

Valladay was very productive at Wyoming and Arizona St. Over 1k yards and 16 tds last season. A one cut and go back just like this offense needs. Could find his way as RB3, especially with that sizeable UDFA contract.

Beach is a try-hard versatile lunch-pail OL. But I don’t see him making the team. Good PS candidate.

Last edited:

Boris

All Pro
When the roster has holes, it gives them a better chance to make the squad. The better the team, the least amount of udfa make the team. On really good teams, alot of 5th rd picks and down don't make the squad.
let's capitalise this advantage
optimism
been a while

Reactions: JB

76Texan

Hall of Fame
When the roster has holes, it gives them a better chance to make the squad. The better the team, the least amount of udfa make the team. On really good teams, alot of 5th rd picks and down don't make the squad.
Ordinarily yes.

But in this day and age, the cap situation could squeeze out veterans and leave teams with a number of players that play at minimum salaries.

michaelm

vox nihili
Ordinarily yes.

But in this day and age, the cap situation could squeeze out veterans and leave teams with a number of players that play at minimum salaries.
Not just the cap, the minimum salary scale for players with 3+ years of service becomes a factor as well

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I believe this years UDFA class could make a lot of rosters…..maybe to the tune of most in quite some time. Some will get stashed on PS’s or on the IR list so they’re available to contribute in 2024.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Watched some footage of that guy. He's not quite Arian Foster. That gazelle grace that Foster had is just not equally replicated. Guy was a complete shithead off the field but on the field there weren't many like him.

This ASU guy looks pretty big and smooth though. Hope he has some nice success.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
That’s one heck of an agent.

Valladay is perfect for a zone scheme. Fell in draft because he “doesn’t create more than what’s blocked for him” according to LZ. But he makes one cut and GOES! Excellent burst through the line. And as long as the OL holds up their end of the bargain he will be adding some chunk gains with that play style. Plus, Pierce and Singletary will already have them worn out ;)

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Watching him on film and given his other numbers, i’d say he’s more of a 4.5 guy than 4.7. Excited to watch him compete for a roster spot!

The son of former Canadian Football League linebacker Patrick Wayne, Jared was not invited to the NFL Combine but had a chance to put up some impressive numbers during Pitt’s Pro Day. The 22-year-old Canadian-born wideout measured in at 6’2″ with a 79 5/8″ wingspan while weighing in at 209 pounds.

His 41.5″ vertical jump would’ve been best in class at Indianapolis. Additionally, Wayne’s three-cone time of 6.85 and 4.06 20-yard shuttle ranked second only to Ohio State wide receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba. His 40-yard dash numbers vary, with some reporting that he clocked in as quick as 4.53 seconds to as high as 4.71.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

Yet, with 22 games of over 100+ rushing yards for his career, Valladay has gone under the radar. While the former Sun Devil did have his moments at the East-West Shrine, both in the game and in the drills against linebackers, Valladay was, in my opinion, one of the biggest NFL Combine snubs.

However, at the Arizona State Pro Day, Valladay put on the show I wish he could’ve done in Indianapolis. Measuring in at 5’11” in 204 pounds, he nearly jumped out of the gym with a 40″ vertical after hanging 22 reps on the bench press just before. Not only that, but he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.43 seconds, which would’ve finished in the top seven at this year’s Combine.

If Valladay had received an invite to the Combine, he would have tied for first among running backs in the vertical jump, placed second in the bench press, and tied for fifth with a 10’3″ inch broad jump.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
The best part of the previous article I linked.

“Valladay has succeeded everywhere he has been in college. Plus, I haven’t even mentioned that Valladay never put the ball on the ground despite taking 929 touches for 5,339 yards, 4,466 of which came on 841 rushing attempts.“

Dejaview

All Pro
The best part of the previous article I linked.

“Valladay has succeeded everywhere he has been in college. Plus, I haven’t even mentioned that Valladay never put the ball on the ground despite taking 929 touches for 5,339 yards, 4,466 of which came on 841 rushing attempts.“
Wonder why nobody at the bottom of the draft order doesn’t take a guy like this?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
From John Harris’ Draft Guide. Excellent resource worth looking at for the newest Texans:

Ali Gaye, LSU
5th year - 6-6, 263 lb.
Edmonds-Woodway HS in Lynnwood, WA.
Gaye is a native of Gambia who moved to the United States when he was 12. He started playing high school football in Washington state and then went to Arizona Western College for a year. Following a one year stint at Arizona Western College, he enrolled at Garden City Community College for one year before finally enrolling in the spring of 2020 at LSU.
Gaye is well put together, to say the least, but he’s a grunting, try hard edge rusher who will be limited in his scheme versatility. He’s thick and high cut with 34+ inch arms. He SHOULD HAVE been able to dominate at the college level, but he was nothing more than a solid rotational player. He’s physical at the point of attack and at the Senior Bowl, I could see his strength up close. But, there’s no twitch or bouncy traits that get me excited about him as an edge rusher. He’ll be a two down player at best, playing the run on first and second down.
This dude is going to play hard on every single snap. He will never stop chasing after the QB, but he’s limited athletically and he’s stiff. At the Senior Bowl, he grunted, literally, through every single step. There’s no real fluidity to his game. It’s got to be strength and power in everything that he does.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
2-062: OC/OG- Juice Scruggs (Penn State)
6-201: OC/OG- Jarrett Patterson (Notre Dame)
UDFA: OC/OG- Dylan Deatherage (Western Michigan)
Roster: OG/OC- Michael Deiter

I believe the Texans are covering their bases, since the Center position is so vital this season.

Dejaview

All Pro
That's why I like to have some 7th rd picks. If you draft a guy like this, you don't have to compete for his services. I really liked Keaton Mitchell, but he signed with the Ravens I think.
I thought of that and agree but then again you would have to compete for the services of the guy you drafted instead. He truly seems to have fallen off of the radar of 32 teams.

Number19

Hall of Fame
From John Harris’ Draft Guide. Excellent resource worth looking at for the newest Texans:

Ali Gaye, LSU
5th year - 6-6, 263 lb.
Edmonds-Woodway HS in Lynnwood, WA.
Gaye is a native of Gambia who moved to the United States when he was 12. He started playing high school football in Washington state and then went to Arizona Western College for a year. Following a one year stint at Arizona Western College, he enrolled at Garden City Community College for one year before finally enrolling in the spring of 2020 at LSU.
Gaye is well put together, to say the least, but he’s a grunting, try hard edge rusher who will be limited in his scheme versatility. He’s thick and high cut with 34+ inch arms. He SHOULD HAVE been able to dominate at the college level, but he was nothing more than a solid rotational player. He’s physical at the point of attack and at the Senior Bowl, I could see his strength up close. But, there’s no twitch or bouncy traits that get me excited about him as an edge rusher. He’ll be a two down player at best, playing the run on first and second down.
This dude is going to play hard on every single snap. He will never stop chasing after the QB, but he’s limited athletically and he’s stiff. At the Senior Bowl, he grunted, literally, through every single step. There’s no real fluidity to his game. It’s got to be strength and power in everything that he does.
Just downloaded Harris' guide. The pick which still confounds me is #2/62, Juice Scruggs. Harris has him #18 among IOL and #198 overall. The guide I use, Frank Coyle's Draftinsider didn't even profile him and had him ranked as an UDFA. Draftbuzz has him ranked #8 among Centers, #32 among IOL and #204 overall.

I understand he was a late riser, but I don't find why?