Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

I imagine if there is significant, significant interest in trading up with Chicago, then there would be significant interest in trading up with Houston. I would not be surprised to see Josh McDaniels offer Nick Caserio a 120% value for the #2 pick. Take it Demeco.
120% of 2600 would be 1.1 3,000 plus 120 or 3.95. arrange it how you see it.

Yet Bryce ducks throwing at the combine without anything injury-related. Why? Is it because he doesn't want to arm to lok miniscule in comparison? (And yes, I really like Young in a lot of ways, just not his arm strength and size)
that is what I would advise him; throw at pro day to players you are used to.

that is what I would advise him; throw at pro day to players you are used to.
That looks kind of bad though - select an environment where your shielded from peer comparisons and with personnel you are used to. Throwing at his pro day tells scouts next to nothing. Makes me wonder why Young doesn't want to stack himself up next to high draft class peers.

That said, I give Young full marks for playing in the Sugar Bowl (along with Anderson). They didn't have to do that and risk injury. Performed well there.

That looks kind of bad though - select an environment where your shielded from peer comparisons and with personnel you are used to. Throwing at his pro day tells scouts next to nothing. Makes me wonder why Young doesn't want to stack himself up next to high draft class peers.

That said, I give Young full marks for playing in the Sugar Bowl (along with Anderson). They didn't have to do that and risk injury. Performed well there.
peer comparison is game film. If you think you are far and away the best QB option and most think he is, why do anything to rock that perception? Easy, fun day hitting all passes and answering team reps questions. His resume is complete. A bowl is game action, combine not.

peer comparison is game film. If you think you are far and away the best QB option and most think he is, why do anything to rock that perception? Easy, fun day hitting all passes and answering team reps questions. His resume is complete. A bowl is game action, combine not.
Combines still matter though, so we'll agree to disagree. Variable are the same for each player, with personnel that is unfamiliar. Agree 100% that tape is king, obviously, but peer comps do tell something. Guessing he didn't want his arm strength, size or whatever to appear substandard. And that's his right... Not saying it's a bad strategy, but if he was super confident like Levis he would have no reason not to perform. He's not injured.

Combines still matter though, so we'll agree to disagree. Variable are the same for each player, with personnel that is unfamiliar. Agree 100% that tape is king, obviously, but peer comps do tell something. Guessing he didn't want his arm strength, size or whatever to appear substandard. And that's his right... Not saying it's a bad strategy, but if he was super confident like Levis he would have no reason not to perform. He's not injured.
Combines do matter for Levis and Richardson etc. Not for Young. It doesn't matter how you or I evaluate him but everything points to him being 1st or 2nd player [if Bears keep 1]. Why would he risk that?

In a couple of yrs if Fields does well Mullo Getter will come calling and that's going to kill the cap/their chances of winning a championship. Of course I think Fields is a great tailback, a great QB not so much.
It’s just how it is I guess, qbs will get paid….even the mid tier ones. If you don’t have at least a decent one, you ain’t going far

Combines do matter for Levis and Richardson etc. Not for Young. It doesn't matter how you or I evaluate him but everything points to him being 1st or 2nd player [if Bears keep 1]. Why would he risk that?
Correct, it doesn't matter for Young because he already cemented his position. If I were his agent, I would tell him to duck out of throwing drills also. However, it also shows me he doesn't want to risk being showed up. So there's 2 ways to look at it (from his perspective and from the fans).

And I disagree that Levis or Richardson have that much to lose by ducking out either. Teams know what these guys are and the top 4 of this class will remain so. They are performing because they'll put on a show in these drills, whereas Young would not look as impressive. Those guys wouldn't fall if they ducked out like Young did either.

I’m still laughing at Stroud saying he doesn’t want to go to the Bears then using it being Fields’ team as cover to why. 😂

Meh…Is it that much worst than Eli manning with the chargers?
Eli used family connects to get out of that situation. Stroud doesn’t have that same pull. You don’t publicly come out and say something like this before the draft is even here. And then compound that with terrible role models, saying you DON’T want to go play for a certain team. His agent is already viewed negatively around the league.

I’m still laughing at Stroud saying he doesn’t want to go to the Bears then using it being Fields’ team as cover to why. 😂

They're friends, alums, and training partners. They've known each other personally for a cool ass minute.

All he essentially said was he respects that Chicago is currently Fields' team and he has no desire to rock that.

It's perfectly reasonable.

Eli used family connects to get out of that situation. Stroud doesn’t have that same pull. You don’t publicly come out and say something like this before the draft is even here. And then compound that with terrible role models, saying you DON’T want to go play for a certain team. His agent is already viewed negatively around the league.
How’s that any different? Eli didn’t want to play for the chargers…..it’s that simple.

It’s just how it is I guess, qbs will get paid….even the mid tier ones. If you don’t have at least a decent one, you ain’t going far
That's why in yr 4 of a QB's you need to start looking for your QB of the future like the Packers do. You cant win championships with overpaid QB's. I would never do a deal with any QB that took up over 20% of the cap. The only exception to this rule would've been Brady and maybe Mahomes/Burrow but I doubt it.

How’s that any different? Eli didn’t want to play for the chargers…..it’s that simple.

True,

But there's ways to go about doing this without looking like a dumbass.

Personally, since I didn't want Ryans to draft him to begin with, I'm glad he came out and said who his role models are. Now maybe some can see why I want nothing to do with him. I would deal with this idiot if I was thought he was a generational QB. Needless to say, I dont think this.

The 2nd RD is loaded and may have the best talent and value from top to bottom. Load up DeMeco!

TRADE #1 - Houston TRADES #2 to Las Vegas for #7, #38, 2024 1st RD

TRADE #2 - Houston TRADES #7 to Carolina for #9, #61

TRADE #3 - Houston TRADES Laremy Tunsil to Chicago for #54 and 2024 2nd RD.

Houston Texans Draft Picks:

RD 1 - #9
RD 1 - #12
RD 2 - #33
RD 2 - #38
RD 2 - #54
RD 2 - #61

2024 (3) 1st RD (2) 2nd RD.

Last edited:
They're friends, alums, and training partners. They've known each other personally for a cool ass minute.

All he essentially said was he respects that Chicago is currently Fields' team and he has no desire to rock that.

It's perfectly reasonable.
It’s not. It’s weak. No matter who is on that team he said he wouldn’t want to go #1. That has nothing to do with Fields. The NFL is a business. This isn’t after school Kumbaya . Lets me know enough about Fields because if the Bears did want to draft him, he can’t do a thing about it. You can be friends and still compete.

It’s not. It’s weak. No matter who is on that team he said he wouldn’t want to go #1. That has nothing to do with Fields.

But it very much matters who is on the team. He said that completely explicitly.

The full quote -

“I mean, nah, I don’t want to go there,” Stroud said Friday. “That’s his team. I can do my thing. I can go build my legacy. He texted me yesterday morning. Me and him are brothers for life.”

No matter how much you insist otherwise it's what he actually said..

Here is a 28s clip of Stroud explaining how he's inspired by Vick, Watson and Burrow in context. In fact, Stroud explains "one of the reasons he wore number 7" was because of Michael Vick.., lol. Clueless.

Can hardly wait for the next hot RB prospect explain how he wore number 32 because he liked the way O.J. Simpson ran the football 🤦‍♂️
Hannah takes another one off the Texans draft board.

True,

Personally, since I didn't want Ryans to draft him to begin with, I'm glad he came out and said who his role models are. Now maybe some can see why I want nothing to do with him. I would deal with this idiot if I was thought he was a generational QB. Needless to say, I dont think this.
Imo Eli manning was worst, what was his reason for not wanting to play for the chargers? was it Cause at the time they were trash?

Stroud on the other hand did it in a respectable manner out of respect to his former team mate

But it very much matters who is on the team. He said that completely explicitly.

The full quote -

“I mean, nah, I don’t want to go there,” Stroud said Friday. “That’s his team. I can do my thing. I can go build my legacy. He texted me yesterday morning. Me and him are brothers for life.”

No matter how much you insist otherwise it's what he actually said..
He’s not about competition if you read into that. That’s what he is saying.

Wanting to build his own legacy is very much about competition, if you read into that.

It's about respect for his close personal friend, that's what he's obviously saying.
You know how you can build your own legacy? Beat out the starter. He doesn’t want to go #1 because his friend is there. That’s some baby sh*t.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Imo Eli manning was worst, what was his reason for not wanting to play for the chargers? was it Cause at the time they were trash?

Stroud on the other hand did it in a respectable manner out of respect to his former team mate
Bad ownership. Archie got involved.

True,

SB you are so reaching. Your takes are all over the map.

He's talking about play style and stuff on the field, not as a person walking down the street like John Q. Public. Who does he look up to as a QB? That's what he is answering. He's not talking about off the field, he means on the field. He also mentioned Burrow's playstyle. Do you have an issue with Burrows too?

BTW, I'm someone that HATES Vick with the passion of 10,000 hot suns for what he did to those dogs...but I have zero issues with this or any QB saying, hey here's a guy that I'd like to pattern my game after and look to as a QB. I aspire to become that type of QB on the field. I'm going to call you Mr. Armstrong because of those huge stretches you make.

What's even funnier is you defend a guy like Carter who is making very iffy life choices and has some potential character/immaturity issues...and blame another woman when Carter was also involved. But because a guy you don't like wants to pattern his game after Watson, you're jumping through hoops to criticize him when just about everyone praises CJ's character off the field. It's really hypocritical.

It's just a good thing Carter didn't go to Clemson and have Nigerian parents. If so, you'd probably want to throw him in a Russian gulag for 40 years of hard labor.

For whatever record we keep around here, I have no issues whatsoever with CJ not wanting to go to the Bears under current circumstances. I'm sure if the Bears traded Fields, he'd immediately change his mind. If anything, I find loyalty to a friend and colleague an admirable trait in this young man. That's the kind of guy I want in the trenches when the tough times come. That says a lot about his character to me and in a good way.

He's still #2 for me by quite a bit vs. Young. But if anything, that comment ingratiates me to him, unlike some others that are turned off by it. To each his own. As always, your mileage may vary.

WOW!!! The wide spectrum of opinions, likes & dislikes on this board is quite extensive. Some of you read way too much into whatever someone else says.

Since Stroud was discussing football, could it be possible that his answer was directly related to their play on the field & not their actions off the field? That was my assumption.

As for agents, isn't it their job to get every penny & perk they can for their clients? What team they ultimately play for is up to the player & the team willing to meet the player/agents demands. Football in Houston is still football in New York. It's only fans that get all huffy about where a player plays.

As for Houston trading up for the #1 pick, that rumor was started by ESPN & they are the ones fanning the flames & trying to CREATE a story. Houston would have to be the stupidest team in the history of the NFL to pay the price ESPN is suggesting to move up one spot. Unbelievable!!!

So, since there is such a wide array of opinions here, I might as well put my opinion in here as well. Lol.

First off, at #2, you take the BPA & none of the QB's fit that bill in this draft. I also don't believe Chicago will trade down with anyone but Houston since they most likely want either Anderson or Carter & both would be gone if they trade below Arizona.

However, I personally would love to see Chicago trade down with the Colts & the Colts select Young at #1. Since the #2 pick is easier to trade than the #1 pick, that would set Houston up with a chance to trade down & load up with extra picks in this draft or next year's draft. I've been reading that Seattle would love to get Anderson & they have two first round picks this year (#5 & #20). #5, #20 & #83 (3rd) would be a fair trade to move up for Anderson. Getting the extra #1 this year should put us in position to select Torrence (#20) & Schmitz (#33) to solidify the offensive line for years to come. We could select Tyree Wilson at #5. Of course, this is just my opinion & it's not worth spit. But, it's MY opinion. lol

Yeah, nope. Not a good use of draft capital. I'm not taking Richardson in the 1st round at all. Branch is the only one of these picks that I would even consider. Banks? No. Better CB's will be available if we go that route, but we have more pressing needs. Although Carter might not be a bad pick, I don't think he has been released from his commitment to the Army. We can't afford to wait 2-4 years for an edge rusher.

Yeah, I disagree with you on all points. :)

SB you are so reaching. Your takes are all over the map.

He's talking about play style and stuff on the field, not as a person walking down the street like John Q. Public. Who does he look up to as a QB? That's what he is answering. He's not talking about off the field, he means on the field. He also mentioned Burrow's playstyle. Do you have an issue with Burrows too?

BTW, I'm someone that HATES Vick with the passion of 10,000 hot suns for what he did to those dogs...but I have zero issues with this or any QB saying, hey here's a guy that I'd like to pattern my game after and look to as a QB. I aspire to become that type of QB on the field. I'm going to call you Mr. Armstrong because of those huge stretches you make.

What's even funnier is you defend a guy like Carter who is making very iffy life choices and has some potential character/immaturity issues...and blame another woman when Carter was also involved. But because a guy you don't like wants to pattern his game after Watson, you're jumping through hoops to criticize him when just about everyone praises CJ's character off the field. It's really hypocritical.

It's just a good thing Carter didn't go to Clemson and have Nigerian parents. If so, you'd probably want to throw him in a Russian gulag for 40 years of hard labor.
It was a dumb comment. But even if you look at it strictly from a professional POV, why would Stroud be inspired by someone who didn't really pass the ball that well? Vic's career completion % is 56.4, with 133 Tds vs. 88 INT and 80.4 passer rating. His career record is 61-51. Is this the person he aspires to become as a professional quarterback? I'm confused, because I see very few similarities in their respective games, from either a running or throwing perspective.

Stroud needs to aim higher—not just be 'inspired' by mediocrity because they are the same color.

Last edited:
Hannah takes another one off the Texans draft board.
Yea it could make for some uncomfortable moments with the McNairs if the Texans were to in fact draft the Watson fan boy.
Dang if one of his idols was the most reviled player in the franchies history -. Ouch and oh shiix ! Oh and then he's got Watson's agent too, right ? GD !
OK maybe the former 'Bama signal caller is kinda smallish, but he's still a Heisman trophy winner, the boy next -door type you know.
I think I know which one Hannah & Cal would want as the face of the franchise.

The 2nd RD is loaded and may have the best talent and value from top to bottom. Load up DeMeco!

RD 1 - #9
RD 1 - #12
RD 2 - #33
RD 2 - #38
RD 2 - #54
RD 2 - #61

Damn dude, who's your dealer?

What I see:

Bears are interested in moving their RD1 pick provided they’re not dropping too far down and missing out on defensive targets. Teams wanting a QB, know the Bears are not shopping for a new QB….offers for that first pick will be good.

Depending on the Bears pick, Texans could find themselves in the catbird seat. Every NFL GM knows the Texans could use that #2 pick on a QB….they want. Caserio could be in a great position to demand and get a King’s ransom for the #2 pick.

At the very least, shows a great deal of ignorance and lack of historical context. Not sure if this can be called a 'red flag', but damn, also shows an acute lack of social awareness. Imagine looking at Vick for inspiration - a guy who was banned by the NFL for 2 seasons for setting up dog fighting gambling matches. And Watson...
Play on the field. So many people stated they were inspired by musicians and artist. That doesn't mean they were inspired by off field incidents. You think about Stroud was born in probably 2002 without looking so 8,9,10 years old was when Vick was in Philly with Reid. During his high school years, Watson was one of the faces of the nfl and people conveniently left out Burrow whom he mentioned. I think its just overblown honestly.

Play on the field. So many people stated they were inspired by musicians and artist. That doesn't mean they were inspired by off field incidents. You think about Stroud was born in probably 2002 without looking so 8,9,10 years old was when Vick was in Philly with Reid. During his high school years, Watson was one of the faces of the nfl and people conveniently left out Burrow whom he mentioned. I think its just overblown honestly.
Fair comment, and agree to a large extent. I'm not one to blow things out of proportional generally.

But again, as I mentioned above, why would Stroud be inspired by someone who didn't really pass the ball that well? Vic's career completion % is 56.4, with 133 Tds vs. 88 INT and 80.4 passer rating. His career record is 61-51. Is this the person he aspires to become as a professional quarterback? And why infer his like for Vick based on the fact they were both African American as opposed to performance on the football field?

Regardless of whether he looked up to Vick or not as a youngster (but why the Watson comment he is in the present?), he didn't have the awareness to keep this kind of comment to himself during a public press conference. Not leadership-type comments in general and shows a certain lack of socal awareness, if even in a small way.

That said, certainly not the be all end all so I'll stop talking about it. But I still think it's a dumb and confusing comment in general, particularly since Vick wasn't that good and they are a different type of QB.

Yes I was a kid once upon a time and did some incredibly dumb things. Yes, I've street raced when I was a kid and loved it. I was blessed nobody got hurt/killed. By the grace of god go I.

No I didn't look up to a guy as a mentor that sexually assaulted 25 women, even as a kid.
You're a smart guy, inspire isn't the same as role model. Someone's ability to play your position doesn't mean they're your idol. I guess nobody watches movies by woody allen,kevin spacey,harvey weinstein,bill cosby or listen to Micheal Jackson, Elvis, R. Kelly, or James Brown? C'mon man.

Fair comment, and agree to a large extent. I'm not one to blow things out of proportional generally.

But again, as I mentioned above, why would Stroud be inspired by someone who didn't really pass the ball that well? Vic's career completion % is 56.4, with 133 Tds vs. 88 INT and 80.4 passer rating. His career record is 61-51. Is this the person he aspires to become as a professional quarterback? And why infer his like for Vick based on the fact they were both African American as opposed to performance on the football field?

Regardless of whether he looked up to Vick or not as a youngster (but why the Watson comment he is in the present?), he didn't have the awareness to keep this kind of comment to himself during a public press conference. Not leadership-type comments in general and shows a certain lack of socal awareness, if even in a small way.

That said, certainly not the be all end all so I'll stop talking about it. But I still think it's a dumb and confusing comment in general, particularly since Vick wasn't that good and they are a different type of QB.
That Michael Vick experience was something else. If you were a young black kid playing qb, he was probably like playing Madden.

While Vick never really enjoyed much success in the NFL, he did bring an element of excitement to the game that wasn't very prevalent at the time. Speed. He ran a 4.33 40 & was a threat to run on every play. Vick & Cunningham were a couple of the early dual threat QB's in the NFL. I didn't hear the interview with Stroud, but I did read where he mentioned that he should've run more. Perhaps that's why he mentioned Vick as an inspiration. We have to keep in mind that these young men are probably very nervous during these interviews & sometimes blurt out answers without taking into account any off the field issues.

Carter being arrested for putting people at risk of death? Eh he’s a kid. Who doesn’t make a bad decision when young?

Stroud finding inspiration in another QB? Ye shall be doomed to the pits of hell for all eternity. How dare ye speak the name of the banned one. Off with his head!

RD 1 - #9
RD 1 - #12
RD 2 - #33
RD 2 - #38
RD 2 - #54
RD 2 - #61

Tunsil for two round 2s?
🤣🤣😂. You want to be taken seriously.

Back