Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Schedule

Texansballer74

The Marine
Did it take you 3 years to determine if Watson could play? That Mills couldn’t?

Cj Stroud could be named 1st team all-pro from here on out & some of our fans will continue to brood over his S2 score.

Let them. Makes it easier for us to know who they really are.
I know Stroud can play, just like Watson, Lawrence and several others. It could show in year 1 or later on. After two years everyone could see Mills isn’t that guy. But you don’t read people comments saying he’s stupid.

But hey I digressed.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Stroud's success will be connected at the hip with Slowick's ability to take advantage of his skill-set.

This is nothing more than pulling a page from the Andy Reid playbook. I don't think Reid viewed Mahomes as illiterate or stupid b/c he wasn't ready to go as his Day 1 starter....just wanted to bring him along slowly while studying his future stars strengths and weaknesses.....that approach served him and KC very well.

I'm in no hurry to watch the Texans duck up another drafted QB. Give him some time to adjust and Slowick some to time to modify his playbook to take full advantage of his strengths. Mills or Keenum could take the reins at the start of the season....unless Stroud tears it up in Camp and the Pre Season games. This in no way would be a slap against Stroud, but a very patient and smart move by the team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Stroud's success will be connected at the hip with Slowick's ability to take advantage of his skill-set.

This is nothing more than pulling a page from the Andy Reid playbook. I don't think Reid viewed Mahomes as illiterate or stupid b/c he wasn't ready to go as his Day 1 starter....just wanted to bring him along slowly while studying his future stars strengths and weaknesses.....that approach served him and KC very well.

I'm in no hurry to watch the Texans duck up another drafted QB. Give him some time to adjust and Slowick some to time to modify his playbook to take full advantage of his strengths. Mills or Keenum could take the reins at the start of the season....unless Stroud tears it up in Camp and the Pre Season games. This in no way would be a slap against Stroud, but a very patient and smart move by the team.
So you're against playing the best players?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Hill should have known better than to overlook a guy.
He, himself, was overlooked by many NFL people, wasn't he?
I don’t think Hill overlooked him. He was watching him in practice. I think it says more about Mahomes’ development.

1st round QBs fail more often, imo, through failure to develop than lack of talent or ability

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Why not

The defense if healthy should be a top 10-15 unit and if Stroud is who some think he is then 8-10 wins should be possible. I mean the il should be much improved as well as depth everywhere on the offense. I'm looking for Pierce to have a big yr. TE is much improved, the wr corps is solid despite not having a true WR1. It's much better than last year, with much more depth and the schedule is easier. You've gotta set goals high to achieve them and if Mills was as bad as some around here thinks he is, then there should be much optimism because Stroud should be a massive upgrade. That's if the team can stay relatively healthy.

I just think SHOULD and 10 wins don't apply to this team. We need everything and I mean EVERYTHING to go our way to get there.

Could - is a better word.

We "could" draft the all time goat qb in the 6th round. No one "should" expect it.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
:shots: ( is this like the draft) jk lol
Exciting! No matter who they play home or away. We gonna kick some surprised asses! T
Can't wait kinda like Braveheart .. It's all good Texans will hopefully and will be a much better and quickly improved unified, as a one complete competitive, winning team. Hey you can't get any worse 😅.
Cheers y all

Number19

Hall of Fame
I just think SHOULD and 10 wins don't apply to this team. We need everything and I mean EVERYTHING to go our way to get there.
But speaking only to the offense, the Texans have all the pieces in place to effectively run a 49er style WCO. In another thread I said we could be a top 10 offense. Last year the 49ers ranked #5 offensively. If top 10 is a bit optimistic I think top 16 is definitely within our potential.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Lots of rainbows and unicorns around here. Rookie QB and Center. Two receivers penciled in as starters that have never played a down. A third receiver known for not being available. A running back that couldn't make it through his rookie campaign. Guard who struggled with injuries his rookie season. Other Guard is a FA signing. The only continuity is the two tackles, and the Not Big Shanny Offense is being implemented.

But all of that is going to magically gel to be in the top 10?

I'm happy if this offense rank at the end of the season doesn't start with a 2. I would be ecstatic if it were around 15.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Lots of rainbows and unicorns around here. Rookie QB and Center. Two receivers penciled in as starters that have never played a down. A third receiver known for not being available. A running back that couldn't make it through his rookie campaign. Guard who struggled with injuries his rookie season. Other Guard is a FA signing. The only continuity is the two tackles, and the Not Big Shanny Offense is being implemented.

I'm happy if this offense rank at the end of the season doesn't start with a 2. I would be ecstatic if it were around 15.
If the Texans were on a grading system, then they'd have gotten an F two years in a row. Everything considered that we know so far about the Texans, I'd say there's a good shot at them improving to D+ or even C- this season. I'd wait for next year for their grades to really improve, if they're going to. I'd say there's a better than even chance this team will keep improving, and I say that only because of DeMeco. DeMeco must be what we think he is, or none of this is going to work anyway.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Nothing wrong with rainbows and unicorns this time of the new season. I like the makeup of our offense and I'm optimistic about Slowik's offense that early indications say will be implemented. And I did say a top 10 offense was optimistic and that top 16 was more realistic.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

That should tell you how bad it's been talent wise around here. I'm certainly not one of those who thinks BAM, top 10 this or that all of a sudden, or that a playoff berth is imminent, but I do think the talent level is rising and that SHOULD bring improvement to a team that has been very void of talent the last few years. That includes the coaching ranks as well.

Naturally, a lot of questions have to be answered. Coaching, scheme, is the talent actually as good as we think/hope it is? Only time will answer all of that.

I'm an 'I'll believe it when I see it' type but even I can recognize that things around Kirby seem to have a lot more professional feel about them than the stench that has been permeating the building the last few years. Whether that translates to success on the field or not, and if so how quickly that success will come about, well, we'll find out soon. As I've said somewhere around here, there's at least a light at the end of the tunnel now. Yet to be determined if it's actually daylight or a train barreling towards us.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
They've got a nice gig this year with all games on Sundays at noon, except for only one 3PM game. And they don't have as much "traveling" to do as a lot of teams. That should be in their favor, along with the bye week close to the middle of the season.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Took a look at some units that took a big jump from one year to the next:

2022 Jaguars offense: #10 from #27
Factors? New coaching staff. QB going into 2nd season. 6 new starters.

2022 Lions offense: #4 from #22
Factors? Coaching staff in 2nd year. 2 key OL returned from injuries. Reduced turnovers to lowest in league (15 from 23).

2022 Dolphins offense: #6 from #25
Factors?: New coaching staff. Key acquisitions at WR, RB, LT, & C.

2022 Jets defense: #4 from #32
Factors?: Coaching staff in 2nd year. 6 new starters. Did I mention the DROY?

How does this coincide with the 2023 Texans offense and defense? The offense will have a new coaching staff. As many as 6 new starters. But the QB will be in his 1st year. 2024 may be the year for the big jump here.

The Texans defense will have the new coaching staff. As many as 5 new starters, 3 returning starters will be heading into their 2nd seasons in the league. DROY? Maybe. That big jump may not need magic.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Factors? Coaching staff in 2nd year. 2 key OL returned from injuries. Reduced turnovers to lowest in league (15 from 23).

How does this coincide with the 2023 Texans offense and defense? The offense will have a new coaching staff. As many as 6 new starters. But the QB will be in his 1st year. 2024 may be the year for the big jump here.

The Texans defense will have the new coaching staff. As many as 5 new starters, 3 returning starters will be heading into their 2nd seasons in the league. DROY? Maybe. That big jump may not need magic.
Love it. Outstanding post

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
As well as the OROY, and an improved running game on offense putting less pressure on the defense

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

The big jump should be expected, it shouldn't be a surprise. They traded away the Derrick bounty for Stroud, Anderson with the idea of becoming a playoff team next year. This is what it looks like when the GM is on the hot seat. This isn't a bad thing. No excuses.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The big jump should be expected, it shouldn't be a surprise. They traded away the Derrick bounty for Stroud, Anderson with the idea of becoming a playoff team next year. This is what it looks like when the GM is on the hot seat. This isn't a bad thing. No excuses.
So you're saying big jump this year, playoff team next year?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
No because I don't think Stroud can play well enough to lead the team to that many wins.
C'mon steel.....is that a hunch or based on what has been observed in OTA's? Pre-Season hasn't got here yet, so it could a bit difficult to say something like this definitively.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
C'mon steel.....is that a hunch or based on what has been observed in OTA's? Pre-Season hasn't got here yet, so it could a bit difficult to say something like this definitively.
Take 2-4 wins off for dumbness. Hopefully it's just normal rookie dumbness. But I wouldn't count on it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That you expected the Texans to win 6 games because of the rookie HC and rookie OC along with a rookie QB
Well, that too, but mostly dumb qb play. I guess I was trying to be nice. I'm sure Slowik will get most of the blame around these parts. Can't be Ryans or Stroud's fault.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Dear Football Gods...

Please allow DaHope to join DaBrowns, peacock like a clown, do nothing but bring DerrickDub & the franchise down
....give more hope to a destiny's loser town... errrbody in Cleveland knows a smile makes a frown!!!