Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 Mock Draft....Too Much Time On My Hands...

I’m changing my direction on the current PFN Mock Simulator having the Texans at RD1-01. I’d trade out to a very QB hungry team in Seattle. I adjusted the trade offer by reducing their second RD1 pick. They’re moving from RD1-04 to RD1-01 so trading spots, giving up their (2) RD2 picks and a 2024 RD1 pick. Still seems like a lot, but getting their QB (CJ Stroud) isn’t a hard sell.

RD1-004: DT- Jalen Carter, Georgia
RD1-016: DB- Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M

RD2-032: TE- Darnell Washington, Georgia
RD2-035: OC- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas
RD2-045: OL- Darnell Wright, Tennessee

RD3-064: RB- Zach Charbonnet, UCLA
RD3-079: LB- Jack Campbell, Iowa

RD4-100: WR- A.T. Perry, Wake Forest

I’d still add the following players in no certain order in RD’s 5-7.

DT- PJ Mustipher, Penn State
DE- Ali Gaye, LSU
TE- Kamari Averett, Bethune-Cookman
RB- Blake Corum, Michigan
OL- Cody Mauch, North Dakota State

You think the Jets are going to have a higher pick than Texans? Just asking

No. Had to trade back to create close proximity to where I believe Texans will select (#5) simulator had them #2. Jets are trending towards the low teens (#13-#15).

Unless you're willing to pay for upgraded simulator mock draft access, they are slow to update both team slots and player projections, not to mention underclassmen yet to declare. Then if you deviate your grade will get dinged so it's really not reflective until a couple weeks before the draft and just a tool to add for your own mock draft projections.

If they are picking 5/15/37

Give me

Jalen Carter

Johnston

Washington

And I will figure out who I want to trade back into the 2nd for as an edge. I'm thinking Sanders from Arkansas.

The Texans defense has to get stronger in the middle.

I’d really like to start DT- Carter, Georgia. If the Texans remain inside the top 5 picks, he could be theirs for the taking. If he somehow is gone when the Texans turn comes around then DT- Bresee, Clemson should be on the board and seems to be the consensus #2 DT in draft.

I believe ILB- Jack Campbell, Iowa is a true ILB who plays the position with a lot of physicality. Campbell’s arrival could move Harris over to the weak side where he could use his speed a bit more. Cashman and Wallow would continue to handle the strong side.

I also want to see a bigger and more physical SS added in the draft. There’s a few that come to mind, but it depends on where they’re falling in the draft.

I still like DT- Mustipher, Penn State as another interior lineman piece who could be available at some point after RD5. He’s putting his name on the draft map this season which could move him up higher than I’d want to see the team invest since the OL, WR, TE, and RB have to be addressed as well.

If by past drafts, TE’s typically go between RD2 to RD7 (Texans favorite slot)…..does anyone think Mayer slips out of RD1?

Owen Daniels and Arian Foster were pretty effective pieces of the best Texans teams of all time. Texans haven’t had a RB and TE like Foster or Daniels since they departed the Texans.

I see Mayer as the best TE in the 2023 draft and based on his 2022 season may determine where he’s viewed as an overall talent (draft history). I think Pierce is going to be a pretty special RB and potentially the best RB to put on a Texans uniform since Foster. I’d really like to add another RB with Pierce type of characteristics for a younger dual threat. I see this in either Zach Charbonnet or Tank Bigsby.
What do you think about Kiandre Miller out of TCU? He has looked good all year..

Like I mentioned before….if Young was QB1 on the 2022 Hawaii team, could he lead them to a big upset over Alabama….at home? I know the answer is no, but this is how he his arrival in Houston would look and this would even be true if they modified their offense to fit his QB’ing style, which is a pocket passer…..at 5-9 and 179 pounds.

Like I mentioned before….if Young was QB1 on the 2022 Hawaii team, could he lead them to a big upset over Alabama….at home? I know the answer is no, but this is how he his arrival in Houston would look and this would even be true if they modified their offense to fit his QB’ing style, which is a pocket passer…..at 5-9 and 179 pounds.

Yes he would be able to do that because the young man is that talented. All because a player goes to a successful team should not sway one’s judgment either way. Meaning he shouldn’t be knocked for going to Alabama. In this breakdown ole buddy shows us how he moves within and out of the pocket to buy time. In today’s NFL that’s exactly what you need.

And he’s actually 6’0 194 lbs.

I posted this because some tend think these quarterbacks in this class isn’t ready.

My choice would be CJ

Okay…..since the wife is stateside, I have way too much time on my hand. So I did a Mock that was interesting but fun:

TRADE
Lions Receive:

Texans Receive:
2024 RD2

Essentially dumped the back half of the draft to move the majority of the picks into the top 100. Had to take the Lions 2024 RD1 off the table and take their 2024 RD2 instead to actually have the trade accepted. I kept the total pick amount at 12. Here’s the draft:

RD1-004: LT- Paris Johnson Jr (Ohio State)
RD1-013: DE- Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech)
RD1-015: RT- Peter Skoronski (Northwestern)

RD2-032: DT- Gervon Dexter (Florida)
RD2-045: OC- John Michael Schmitz (Minnesota)
RD2-061: LB- DeMarvion Overshown (Texas)

RD3-064: DT- Siaki Ika (Baylor)
RD3-076: RB- Blake Corum (Michigan)
RD3-078: LB- Jack Campbell (Iowa)

RD4-100: RG- Cody Mauch (North Dakota State)

RD6-193: WR- Nathaniel Dell (Houston)

RD7-215: TE- Brevin Spann-Ford (Minnesota / 6-7 @ 270 lbs / He blocks, but he can catch as well)

I’d sign SS- Duron Harmon (Raiders) as a 2023 UFA. Still productive as a 32 year old athlete. Price should be affordable without having to give up stupid years.

I’d target both Mike White (Jets) and Jacoby Brissett (Browns) as veteran competitors who could be offered strong enough contracts to get them to walk away from their current teams. I think Brissett would be the easier signing since his days as a starter in Cleveland are over. Now that the Jets have moved away from Wilson, good chance they’ll get White extended so he can either be their starter or a bridge for their next QB1 project.

I would say this draft would 100% address the Dirty Dozen in the trenches. The OL and TE are absolutely nasty in the run game and hold their own in Pass Pro. The DT’s, DE, and LB’ers would bring running games to a halt while giving Wilson and Hughes the opportunity to put plenty of pressure on the pocket.

Corum and Dell would be fast fun players on offense that just seem to have a nose for the end zone. Corum would be the new and much better 3rd down back and Dell could slide into the Slot while Metchie goes outside. Got to figure Cooks has worn out his welcome.

Trade Tunsil and move Howard to G - I think he is better there.

Doubt Tunsil would return fair trade. He is a franchise LT and should net a first and 3rd/4th but Texans would have to eat another contract. LT’s can play into their late 30’s, that’s best way to maximize investment especially if you draft a rookie QB #1 overall.

Reactions: JB

Dammm auto-correct….what in the world did it correct to? Bridging the newbies, but both should be gone by the trade deadline. Additional picks in 2024.

Tunsil’s hit would be 16.70M, but his cap savings would be 18.50M if he’s traded post 01 June 2023. Howard’s hit would be -0-, but his cap savings would be 13.20M if he’s traded post 01 June 2023. Cap savings would be nice, as would the potential return of picks…..that are much needed. I believe both Tunsil and Howard would have value before the trade deadline b/c there will be a team(s) that are competing and an injury has taken one of their starting OT’s out, which would reassess both players value and potential return in assets if they’re available.

Last edited:
Dammm auto-correct….what in the world did it correct to? Bridging the newbies, but both should be gone by the trade deadline. Additional picks in 2024.

Tunsil’s hit would be 16.70M, but his cap savings would be 18.50M if he’s traded post 01 June 2023. Howard’s hit would be -0-, but his cap savings would be 13.20M if he’s traded post 01 June 2023. Cap savings would be nice, as would the potential return of picks…..that are much needed. I believe both Tunsil and Howard would have value before the trade deadline b/c there will be a team(s) that is competing and an injury has taken their starting OT out, which would reassess both players value and potential return in assets if they’re available.
Why would you wait until post June 1 to trade them? With them and the entire league knowing they are lame ducks that is not going to be good for the locker room

Why would you wait until post June 1 to trade them? With them and the entire league knowing they are lame ducks that is not going to be good for the locker room

Fair point. I see both players putting their best foot forward knowing that there’s going to be a good opportunity they’ll be traded to a team(s) with very good playoff chances before the trade deadline.

• Wow
Reactions: JB
Took a look @ PFN mock site.
Is Detroit giving up #4 - 15-45-61 & 2024 1Sst for our #1 realistic?

Then Atlanta gives up #16 & 110 for #15.

Sure could build up a lot with those picks.

:coffee:

Not really, but you never know what’ll drive a team come draft day.

Okay….real value. First, I think both the Lions and Raiders might throw their hat into the 1st pick ring since both probably want a QB.

I’ve included the Raiders b/c 31 May 2023 is their last opportunity to get out of Carr’s contract before the guarantee and Mahomes type of money kicks in. Raiders could try and trade him but no GM would do that knowing the release is coming. I could see the Raiders making a move to bring Bryce Young into the fold.

As for Detroit….I believe they’d give up their 005, 015, and 042 in the real world. Caserio could push for a 2024 pick, but I doubt they’d go that far.

As for the Raiders….they don’t have the luxury of (2) RD1 picks as bargaining chips. Raiders would have to give up their 006, 037, 069, and a 2024 RD1 to make this deal.

Even though the Texans would have the first crack on Carr if he was released, Caserio wouldn’t do it b/c of the money on his contract that comes to life after 01 June 2023. He’s going to clear all 32 teams and become a UFA…..at this point, let the bidding begin for those interested teams. I still wouldn’t mind seeing Caserio take a shot to sign him if he becomes available.

Last edited:
Would you do it for another 1st round pick(+)?
Even if another team gives up enough and for me it would have to be a significantly high round 1 to get Paris Johnson PLUS a second pick, said team pays his base in 2023 of $18.5 m which is good BUT they would want to have a signed extension in hand before trade completed. Not saying it cannot be done but long odds and he is clicking along without giving up sacks. (1).

From Nov 3rd PFF
Highest-graded player: LT Laremy Tunsil (85.1)

Tunsil is having a career year with the Texans, ranking as the fourth-highest-graded offensive tackle in the NFL. He’s always been a solid player, but this is the best we’ve seen him play since entering the league in 2016.
* Note he has dropped to 82.4 since but still only one sack and 9 pressures. He ain't going anywhere.

Through 11 games this season, Tunsil owns the highest pass blocking grade (90.8) among all linemen in the NFL, according to Pro Football Focus. He is one-of-six tackles in the NFL who have allowed at most one sac (minimum of 600 snaps) and tied for first in the AFC for least pressures allowed (9) among linemen (minimum of 400 snaps). Tunsil posted a 82.4 PFF grade in Weeks 1-12, which was the sixth-highest among tackles in that time span.
Yet, there is one more accolade that Tunsil takes exceptional pride in this year.
"I'm a captain now," Tunsil said. "I got that C."

Even if another team gives up enough and for me it would have to be a significantly high round 1 to get Paris Johnson PLUS a second pick, said team pays his base in 2023 of $18.5 m which is good BUT they would want to have a signed extension in hand before trade completed. Not saying it cannot be done but long odds and he is clicking along without giving up sacks. (1).

From Nov 3rd PFF * Note he has dropped to 82.4 since but still only one sack and 9 pressures. He ain't going anywhere.

"Ver good starter.
Ok"
Fires him up - lol.

Okay….real value. First, I think both the Lions and Raiders might throw their hat into the 1st pick ring since both probably want a QB.

I’ve included the Raiders b/c 31 May 2023 is their last opportunity to get out of Carr’s contract before the guarantee and Mahomes money kicks in. Raiders could try and trade him but no GM would do that knowing the release is coming. I could see the Raiders making a move to bring Bryce Young into the fold.

As for Detroit….I believe they’d give up their 005, 015, and 042 in the real world. Caserio could push for a 2024 pick, but I doubt they’d go that far.

As for the Raiders….they don’t have the luxury of (2) RD1 picks as bargaining chips. Raiders would have to give up their 006, 037, 069, and a 2024 RD1 to make this deal.

Even though the Texans would have the first crack on Carr if he was released, Caserio wouldn’t do it b/c of the money on his contract that comes to life after 01 June 2023. He’s going to clear all 32 teams and become a UFA…..at this point, let the bidding begin for those interested teams. I still wouldn’t mind seeing Caserio take a shot to sign him if he becomes available.

Thanks for the response.

Makes me realize I'm out of my league when it comes to drafting.

I'm still lost where Mahomes enters the picture? idonno:

:coffee:

Here’s my secondary picks through the first three rounds. Trading our second pick in the first round with the Chargers, getting back their first and second round pick with an additional pick in the fourth round in 2024.

1. Will Anderson Jr. Edge Ala.

2.Trade back to 16 with the Chargers.
Will Levis QB Kentucky

3. Jaxon Smith Njigra WR Ohio State

4. Gervon Dexter DT Florida

5. Pick we got from the Chargers.
Emil Ekiyor Jr. OG Ala

Back