Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 Mock Draft....Too Much Time On My Hands...

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Guess who has two thumbs and far too much time on their hands today? Me!!! That's who. With no further delay....my players for the 2023 Texans roster. Sorry for the specific order:

team logo

pfn-logo-black

Michael Mayer
TE Notre Dame
trade icon

Eli Ricks
CB Alabama

Isaiah Foskey
EDGE Notre Dame

Henry To'oTo'o
LB Alabama

Jalen Catalon
S Arkansas

Andrew Vorhees
OG USC

Ricky Stromberg
OC Arkansas

Broderick Jones
OT Georgia

Zach Charbonnet
RB UCLA

Dontayvion Wicks
WR Virginia

Tank Bigsby
RB Auburn

Jaylon Carlies
S Missouri

Harrison Mevis
K Missouri

Yes....there were a few trades from the projected RD1-01 pick to 3 and then to 8. Too much time on my hand.

Guess who has two thumbs and far too much time on their hands today? Me!!! That's who. With no further delay....my players for the 2023 Texans roster. Sorry for the specific order:

team logo

pfn-logo-black

Michael Mayer
TE Notre Dame
trade icon

Eli Ricks
CB Alabama

Isaiah Foskey
EDGE Notre Dame

Henry To'oTo'o
LB Alabama

Jalen Catalon
S Arkansas

Andrew Vorhees
OG USC

Ricky Stromberg
OC Arkansas

Broderick Jones
OT Georgia

Zach Charbonnet
RB UCLA

Dontayvion Wicks
WR Virginia

Tank Bigsby
RB Auburn

Jaylon Carlies
S Missouri

Harrison Mevis
K Missouri

Yes....there were a few trades from the projected RD1-01 pick to 3 and then to 8. Too much time on my hand.
I am interested in your trades if you would care to post them. It is just extremely hard for me to not use our first pick for a player that I have seen compared to Von Miller and Khalil Mack in Alabama's Will Anderson. I would not be surprised if he has a drop off in sacks from 17.5 but still have a great season.

My hope for meals is to have the typical second year surge for an NFL player allowing us to trade out of our top three pick and pick up more selections.

team logo

pfn-logo-black

Michael Mayer
TE Notre Dame
trade icon

Eli Ricks
CB Alabama

Isaiah Foskey
EDGE Notre Dame

Henry To'oTo'o
LB Alabama

Jalen Catalon
S Arkansas

Andrew Vorhees
OG USC

Ricky Stromberg
OC Arkansas

Broderick Jones
OT Georgia

Zach Charbonnet
RB UCLA

Dontayvion Wicks
WR Virginia

Tank Bigsby
RB Auburn

Jaylon Carlies
S Missouri

Harrison Mevis
K Missouri

Now for comments on the players:
I am a huge fan of Eli Ricks and would love if we could get him later as you show him. Also Notre Dame's foskey with another good year would be hard to ignore. I also prefer Alabama's Jordan battle over Arkansas's Catalan at least at this time. Stromberg Center also would be good however I would probably go with Jarrett Patterson in round 3.

Player to watch Baylor Siaki Ika defensive tackle who just transferred in from LSU and is pretty much under the radar. Despite his massive size he can get after the quarterback.

I am interested in your trades if you would care to post them. It is just extremely hard for me to not use our first pick for a player that I have seen compared to Von Miller and Khalil Mack in Alabama's Will Anderson. I would not be surprised if he has a drop off in sacks from 17.5 but still have a great season.

My hope for meals is to have the typical second year surge for an NFL player allowing us to trade out of our top three pick and pick up more selections.

The teams that offered the trades I took were; Lions, Panthers, and Seahawks. Each of those teams took a QB…..which justified the trade offers. Yes, Will Anderson was a big pass, but I believe this first round would fill multiple holes with top notch talent.

The teams that offered the trades I took were; Lions, Panthers, and Seahawks. Each of those teams took a QB…..which justified the trade offers. Yes, Will Anderson was a big pass, but I believe this first round would fill multiple holes with top notch talent.
You know I am always looking for trade angles. I'm assuming you had Stroud and Young as the first two quarterbacks but who was your third? Most seem to think Levis is a possibility. On another Point, most sites have Atlanta with the second pick. I have thoughts that is where Jimmy Garoppolo ends up but I have seen no one support that. Jimmy keeps ATL from drafting QB.

Nick Caserio has proven to be a wheeling dealing Trader

Now for comments on the players:
I am a huge fan of Eli Ricks and would love if we could get him later as you show him. Also Notre Dame's foskey with another good year would be hard to ignore. I also prefer Alabama's Jordan battle over Arkansas's Catalan at least at this time. Stromberg Center also would be good however I would probably go with Jarrett Patterson in round 3.

Player to watch Baylor Siaki Ika defensive tackle who just transferred in from LSU and is pretty much under the radar. Despite his massive size he can get after the quarterback.

If TE, Mayer has a season that backs the hype…..he’d be a massive plus in Pep’s offensive system since they’re going to involve TE’s as much as possible.

I’d also corner the RB’s by adding Charbonnet and Tank to go along with Pierce. All 3 are known to be power runners while Char and Tank have some decent wheels once they’re moving. Also, all 3 can catch out of backfield. It would be a pretty solid stable for a team really wanting to get the running game working.

I also added in this mock OC, Stromberg who I really would’ve drafted last season. His returning to Arkansas this season should put the final touches on his CFB game before he brings it to the NFL. He’s a finisher and if running between the tackles is important, he could be the best in the 2023 draft to make this happen. Vorhee and Jones are right side pieces who both play with a finisher mindset in the running game. Either could be a starter or much better depth on the OL.

You know I am always looking for trade angles. I'm assuming you had Stroud and Young as the first two quarterbacks but who was your third? Most seem to think Levis is a possibility. On another Point, most sites have Atlanta with the second pick. I have thoughts that is where Jimmy Garoppolo ends up but I have seen no one support that. Jimmy keeps ATL from drafting QB.

You got it right, Seahawks took Levis higher than expected. I removed the Texans logos on each pick as well as the trade icon and overall size of the PFN header in order to keep the post on one post. I had encountered issues in the past trying to load it as is.

I could never see any team sitting on their hands if they trade or pickup Garoppolo via free agency b/c of his injury history. If he could stay healthy…..he might become the modern day DeBerg who travels team to team as a better than expected bridge QB.

team logo

Very nice.
pfn-logo-black

Michael Mayer
TE Notre Dame
trade icon

Eli Ricks
CB Alabama

Isaiah Foskey
EDGE Notre Dame

Henry To'oTo'o
LB Alabama

Jalen Catalon
S Arkansas

Andrew Vorhees
OG USC

Ricky Stromberg
OC Arkansas

Broderick Jones
OT Georgia

Zach Charbonnet
RB UCLA

Dontayvion Wicks
WR Virginia

Tank Bigsby
RB Auburn

Jaylon Carlies
S Missouri

Harrison Mevis
K Missouri

team logo

pfn-logo-black

Michael Mayer
TE Notre Dame
trade icon

Eli Ricks
CB Alabama

Isaiah Foskey
EDGE Notre Dame

Henry To'oTo'o
LB Alabama

Jalen Catalon
S Arkansas

Andrew Vorhees
OG USC

Ricky Stromberg
OC Arkansas

Broderick Jones
OT Georgia

Zach Charbonnet
RB UCLA

Dontayvion Wicks
WR Virginia

Tank Bigsby
RB Auburn

Jaylon Carlies
S Missouri

Harrison Mevis
K Missouri

Wonder how many of those guys will be on your list come April

Heck, I wonder how many of those picks Caserio will have come April

Too many trades for me to keep up with.

But if the Texans come out of this draft with

Anderson
Mayer
Ika
Stromberg

I would be very happy.

What do you not like about Mayer? He looks like the complete package at TE.

I’m coming around on Mayer and the fact that he could finally be a complete package TE. Something the Texans haven’t had since the days of Owen Daniels. Having a Mayer and a stronger Jordan….it could be just the ticket Mills needs out of the position.

Too many trades for me to keep up with.

But if the Texans come out of this draft with

Anderson
Mayer
Ika
Stromberg

I would be very happy.

I don’t think the Texans wind up with the first pick, but if they did……there would be some hungry teams with QB needs that would offer some interesting trade packages to get their QB.

I don’t think the Texans wind up with the first pick, but if they did……there would be some hungry teams with QB needs that would offer some interesting trade packages to get their QB.
There may very well be more 1st round QBs than 2022, I don’t know about a gotta have him #1 overall though

Reactions: JB
What do you not like about Mayer? He looks like the complete package at TE.

Would rather find, lesser known TE prospect. Better value that high. Trade for known quantity. There will be some good players cut or on verge of being cut like they already tried (didn’t pass physical).

Would rather find, lesser known TE prospect. Better value that high. Trade for known quantity. There will be some good players cut or on verge of being cut like they already tried (didn’t pass physical).
The best TE's are usually playing deep into the playoffs. Gronk/Kelce/Kittle etc... That's why I value the TE position like I do.

I value it on par with Edge/CB/LT. I only value LT more on the offensive side of the ball. Protect your QB and give him a weapon to control the middle of the field. That's what the Pats/Tampa/, Chiefs/49ers do/did.

Last edited:
The best TE's are usually playing deep into the playoffs. Gronk/Kelce/Kittle etc... That's why I value the TE position like I do.

I value it on par with Edge/CB/LT. I only value LT more on the offensive side of the ball. Protect your QB and give him a weapon to control the middle of the field. That's what the Pats/Tampa/, Chiefs/49ers do/did.

Elite talent is elite regardless of position but other than Pitts more teams than not get burned taking one that high.

Gronk selected in 2nd Kelce 3rd and Kittle 5th. None of those you mentioned taken in the 1st.

Reactions: JB
Wish the Texans had spent a 1st on any of those guys.

There have been successful guys like Hockenson

If by past drafts, TE’s typically go between RD2 to RD7 (Texans favorite slot)…..does anyone think Mayer slips out of RD1?

Owen Daniels and Arian Foster were pretty effective pieces of the best Texans teams of all time. Texans haven’t had a RB and TE like Foster or Daniels since they departed the Texans.

I see Mayer as the best TE in the 2023 draft and based on his 2022 season may determine where he’s viewed as an overall talent (draft history). I think Pierce is going to be a pretty special RB and potentially the best RB to put on a Texans uniform since Foster. I’d really like to add another RB with Pierce type of characteristics for a younger dual threat. I see this in either Zach Charbonnet or Tank Bigsby.

Last edited:
Thats hindsight for Ya, always players wished never passed on. You take those guys metrics, check off all or as many boxes as possible and rate them accordingly.
Mayer checks those boxes. I do like LaPorta in the 2nd too though. After so many failed attempts at fixing the TE position, I'm drafting the surest thing. Mayer.

If by past drafts, TE’s typically go between RD2 to RD7 (Texans favorite slot)…..does anyone think Mayer slips out of RD1?

Owen Daniels and Arian Foster were pretty effective pieces of the best Texans teams of all time. Texans haven’t had a RB and TE like Foster or Daniels since they departed the Texans.

I see Mayer as the best TE in the 2023 draft and based on his 2022 season may determine where he’s viewed as an overall talent (draft history). I think Pierce is going to be a pretty special RB and potentially the best RB to put on a Texans uniform since Foster. I’d really like to add another RB with Pierce type of characteristics for a younger dual threat. I see this in either Zach Charbonnet or Tank Bigsby.
No way Mayer falls to the 2nd rd, unless he gets injured.

Love me some Charbonnet, his running style reminds me of Foster. Like Bigsby alot too. They should be available in the 2nd-3rd rd range.

Mayer checks those boxes. I do like LaPorta in the 2nd too though. After so many failed attempts at fixing the TE position, I'm drafting the surest thing. Mayer.

regardless, wouldn’t take him with Texans first pick. Consider it, depending where Cleveland pick falls? Is he top 20 worthy, maybe?

regardless, wouldn’t take him with Texans first pick. Consider it, depending where Cleveland pick falls? Is he top 20 worthy, maybe?
I've got him in the 7-15 range. Of course I think much more highly of him than most.

This is a weak draft.

Last edited:
No, but there is a good chance he's the 2nd TE off the board behind Georgia RS Soph Arik Gilbert (transfer from LSU). Mayer is a complete TE that can catch, run routes, and block inline. Gilbert is a 6'5" 250 Lb freak that could blowup this season in the UGA 2 TE set.
How does Mayer compare to Pitts?
Apples and Oranges. Mayer is a true Y TE that will play on the LOS. Pitts is a flex TE/WR combo in the vein of Shannon Sharpe. But with more speed than Sharpe.

No, but there is a good chance he's the 2nd TE off the board behind Georgia RS Soph Arik Gilbert (transfer from LSU). Mayer is a complete TE that can catch, run routes, and block inline. Gilbert is a 6'5" 250 Lb freak that could blowup this season in the UGA 2 TE set.

Apples and Oranges. Mayer is a true Y TE that will play on the LOS. Pitts is a flex TE/WR combo in the vein of Shannon Sharpe. But with more speed than Sharpe.

Haven’t studied up Arik Gilbert, but will certainly start the process of learning as much as possible about him.

I watched the Georgia spring game last night and Gilbert was very impressive. Next yr is definitely the yr to draft 1 TE, possibly 2. If I could draft Mayer or a guy like Gilbert in the 1st and a guy like LaPorta fell to the 3rd I wouldn't hesitate to pick 2 TE's in 1 draft. Kinda like the Pats did with Gronk/Hernandez.

None were 1st rd picks. Kelce was 3rd rd and Kittles was a 5th,Gronk 2nd rd pick. Some teams just know how to develop positions. Reid and Lil Shanny are supreme developers of the te

We’re enjoying the day off today for “Assumption of Mary” national holiday here in France. Of course that leaves extra time on my hand since I’m mired in doing laundry in the slowest double stack known to man.

I enjoy the PFN Simulator for a singular purpose of getting updates and knowledge on many player that I’m not immediately familiar with. Did one more mock and only executed a single trade out of the number 1 slot b/c I just don’t think the Texans would play down to that draft position….but if they did, trade out with a team that needs a QB. Per each and every draft….the Lions offer the best package. I don’t even think OB could duck up an offer like that.

MOCK

1-003: Will Anderson / LB / Alabama (Lions)
1-022: Quentin Johnston / WR / TCU
1-028: Bijan Robinson / RB / Texas (Lions)

2-032: Broderick Jones / OT / Georgia
2-034: Ricky Stromberg / OC / Arkansas (Lions)

3-064: Andrew Vorhees / OG / USC
3-066: Tyler Davis / DT / Clemson (Lions)
3-086: Trey Dean III / S / Florida

4-100: Jaylen Carlies / S / Missouri

5-132: Benjamin Yurosek / TE / Stanford

6-170: Payton Wilson / LB / NC State
6-175: Taiwan Mullen / CB / Indiana
6-190: Harrison Mevis / K / Missouri

7-196: Tanner McKee / QB / Stanford
7-204: Elijah Higgins / WR / Stanford
7-211: Nathaniel Dell / WR / Houston

Added a few Stanford pieces b/c of their familiarity with the Texans system.

A first round that contained Anderson, Johnston, and Robinson would be a major coup. Best defensive player, best or second best receiver (size and speed), and best RB….that’s solid foundation pieces. Pierce and Robinson could be a downright awesome duo in the backfield.

Jones, Stromberg, and Vorhees are known for their being their best in the run game at the point of attack and at the second level. All 3 are nasty and finishers. If the ground game lacks true movement this season, the picks are available to bring in another round of talent. Center will be a must one way or another.

Davis would be a solid addition to the middle of the DL…even if he’s from Clemson. His athleticism could make him a bit more than just a run stopper.

Dean and Carlies are a couple of big Safeties that possess a Pugh athleticism for Lovie to put to good use. They should be fine candidates on ST’s unless they’re ready sooner than later.

Wilson is another NC State product at LB. He has the tangible gifts to develop while he gains NFL strength. At 6-4 and 230 lbs….he might be a force on the defense if makes it 6-4 and 240 lbs. Another one that could cut his teeth on ST’s in year one.

Mullen could be a nice fit in Lovie’s scheme. Has a good nose for the ball….and good hands. A DB in Nickel or Zone will get him time on the field.

Mevis is a Kicker to watch this season. I’d draft him just to see if he could push Fairbairn to be better or just flat out, beat him in the position battle.

Study up on Dell….another speedster from Houston who could an even bigger season for the Coogs. It’ll be interesting if he lines up to return kicks this season as well. Pretty nice numbers.

None were 1st rd picks. Kelce was 3rd rd and Kittles was a 5th,Gronk 2nd rd pick. Some teams just know how to develop positions. Reid and Lil Shanny are supreme developers of the te
Agreed, but 1st of all those guys were some of the most athletic guys at their position in their drafts. 2nd TE's seem to develop better in WC offenses. Minus Gronk/Kellen Winslow Sr.

Back at it with too much time on my hands. Based on what we know currently on the available athletes going into the 2023 NFL Draft......this has got to be the best Mock Draft the PFN Simulator has allowed me to have. I was offered 5 trades for the #1 pick. I went with the Seahawks. Later I swapped with picks with the Browns....a 2 for 2.

team logo

pfn-logo-black

Will Anderson Jr.
    EDGE Alabama

Noah Sewell
    LB Oregon

Quentin Johnston
    WR TCU

JL Skinner
    S Boise State

Cameron Latu
    TE Alabama

Ricky Stromberg
    OC Arkansas

Tank Bigsby
    RB Auburn

Arik Gilbert
    TE Georgia

Tanner McKee
    QB Stanford

Ali Gaye
    EDGE LSU

Kenderick Duncan
    S Louisville

Elijah Higgins
    WR Stanford

Nathaniel Dell
    WR Houston

pfn-logo-black

ROUND 1
    • 1.Seattle
      Bryce Young
      QB Alabama

• 2. Atlanta
      Jalen Carter
      DT Georgia

• 3. Chicago
      Jaxon Smith-Njigba
      WR Ohio State

• 4. Detroit
      Michael Mayer
      TE Notre Dame

• 5. TEXANS
      Will Anderson Jr.
      EDGE Alabama

• 6. Jets
      Jordan Addison
      WR USC

• 7. Jacksonville
      Kayshon Boutte
      WR LSU

• 8. Carolina
      C.J. Stroud
      QB Ohio State

• 9. Giants
      Trenton Simpson
      LB Clemson

• 10. Pittsburgh
      Paris Johnson Jr.
      OT Ohio State

• 11. Washington
      Will Levis
      QB Kentucky

• 12. TEXANS
      Noah Sewell
      LB Oregon

Did a new Mock (PFN) representing the needs I saw after WK3:

RD1-004 (SEA>CAR): LB- Will Anderson, Alabama
RD1-013: CB/NB/SS- Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M
RD1-021 (SEA): DT- Bryan Bresee, Clemson

RD2-033: OC- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas

RD3-065: OG- Lauren Robinson, Texas A&M
RD3-076: LB- Jack Campbell, Iowa

RD4-101: TE- Darnell Washington, Georgia
RD4-103 (CAR): OT- Dawand Jones, Ohio State

RD5-165: DT- PJ Mustipher, Penn State
RD5-174: DE- Ali Gaye, LSU

RD6-183: WR- Dontay Demus Jr, Maryland
RD6-186: SS- Ja’Von Hicks, Cincinnati
RD6-187: WR- Chris Autman-Bell, Minnesota

RD7-198: RB- Lew Nichols III, Central Michigan

2023 PFN Mock

Trade with the Seahawks for the Texans RD1-01 pick.

MOCK:

RD1-003: LB- Will Anderson Jr, Alabama
RD1-015: DT- Bryan Bresee, Clemson
RD1-016: DB- Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M

RD2-032: TE- Darnell Washington, Georgia
RD2-034: OT- Darnell Wright, Tennessee
RD2-049: OC- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas

RD3-064: DE- Andre Carter II, Army
RD3-078: LB- Jack Campbell, Iowa

RD4-100: OG- Andrew Vorhees, USC

RD5-132: WR- A.T. Perry, Wake Forest

RD6-164: RB- Roschon Johnson, Texas
RD6-174: RB- Blake Corum, Michigan
RD6-175: WR- Nathaniel Dell, Houston
RD6-184: DE- Ali Gaye, LSU
RD6-190: DT- Gabe Hall, Baylor

RD7-198: TE- Kamari Averett, Bethune-Cookman

Defense rebuild could be completed with this draft. OL would have been addressed as well as the TE position. WR and RB would get some speedy playmakers.

I would also prioritize this UDFA signing, should he go undrafted:

OG- Cody Mauch, North Dakota State

I sure would like to see you do realistic

You mean a draft with zero trades? If the Texans were to finish the season with the first pick, do you stand pat and select Will Anderson with the pick? The reason I mention this….he’ll be the best player in the draft with the most potential for the desired impact from Day 1.

Or….should they succumb to media pressure (aka Clowney) and select a QB? Personally, I see none of the 2023 QB’s as can’t miss franchise types.

My guess, Texans would be in a position to field some nice offers for the #1 pick should other desperate teams see these QB’s as franchise types.

You mean a draft with zero trades? If the Texans were to finish the season with the first pick, do you stand pat and select Will Anderson with the pick? The reason I mention this….he’ll be the best player in the draft with the most potential for the desired impact from Day 1.
No, just something realistic. If the Texas do wind up with the #1 pick, I expect them to trade down. But 9 picks in the top 100 and 16 overall is nowhere close to realistic and gives no idea how the draft might really fall.

What return would you expect for the #1 pick overall and which team do you think makes the offer?

Texans fans hoping this team wins the C.J. Stroud sweepstakes are probably in for a disappointment. Carolina Panthers just fired head coach Matt Rhule and the team is a dumspter fire with Baker Mayfield at QB and McCaffery not his old self. At 1-4, I'm guessing they get #1 overall... This assumes Stroud goes #1 overall of course.

Texans fans hoping this team wins the C.J. Stroud sweepstakes are probably in for a disappointment. Carolina Panthers just fired head coach Matt Rhule and the team is a dumspter fire with Baker Mayfield at QB and McCaffery not his old self. At 1-4, I'm guessing they get #1 overall... This assumes Stroud goes #1 overall of course.
Carolina will not get #1 unless they can tank better than the Texans and Lions. They don't have the ammo to trade up either I don't believe.

Carolina will not get #1 unless they can tank better than the Texans and Lions. They don't have the ammo to trade up either I don't believe.

Carolina looks like a team that's hurt and already checked out for this yr.

I would like to see what OT would do with a realistic mock saying having the 3rd or 4th pick and put the Browns at say the 13-15 range.

Carolina looks like a team that's hurt and already checked out for this yr.
It's still real early and Rhule is now gone. Let's see how they do for Wink... I think they'll finish outside the top 5

Back