Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Houston Cougars

gwallaia

Staff member
I'm not expecting much from the Cougars this season. Too many pieces left last season including Tank Dell and Clayton Tune.

Looking forward to how Donavan Smith performs at QB.

Season starts Saturday evening against a very good UTSA team.

I fear the mental trauma that the uniform change will have on some of our board members. I hope they make it through it.
As soon as they start winning and getting to the SB, they’ll forget. I remember when fans were upset that the Astros were moving to the AL.

Reactions: JB
Now that they're in power 5, this coaching job shouldn't be a stepping stone. My son had Coogs in his top 5, then the oline coach left and he didn't hear anything from them despite being a 4 star ol prospect. They gotta start keeping those kids home. Who is the next coach is my question.

Cougars wore those uniforms well yesterday. I got a flashback when I noticed #20 was Campbell. Defense looks pretty good and it appears the DB’s are keeping with their recent tradition by coming away with (3) picks. This was a solid win versus a good UTSA team. The offense will get better as the season progresses and when Smith figures out who his best receivers are. Look forward to catching the highlights, since I can’t see the games live.

Last edited:
Defense does look much better we did put some heat on the QB but that guy is pretty elusive so he got away from a number of potential sacks. I hope #10 is ok he is an important part of the dline.

I am hoping offense will get better I like the WR's but we have to run better and QB has to read the coverage better he got away with a number of potential interceptions throwing into double and triple coverage.

They need to fire the coach and bring Sumlin back. U of H is not a stepping stone job anymore now they're in the Big 12. They have resources and just as we've witnessed with the basketball program, you can create a winner at U of H.

They need to fire the coach and bring Sumlin back. U of H is not a stepping stone job anymore now they're in the Big 12. They have resources and just as we've witnessed with the basketball program, you can create a winner at U of H.
I’m all for this. Time for Dana to go..

I don't think Dana will be fired during the season but his seat is hotter than a pepper sprout.

It will not be Sumlin, Hermann or Briles that replaces him. Let's see if Ed Orgeron's name comes up. He was on the UH sidelines for a game last season.

My suggestion of Coach O did go over very well with other Cougar fans. I respectfully withdraw his name from consideration. :)

Last edited:
I don't think Dana will be fired during the season but his seat is hotter than a pepper sprout.

It will not be Sumlin, Hermann or Briles that replaces him. Let's see if Ed Orgeron's name comes up. He was on the UH sidelines for a game last season.

My suggestion of Coach O did go over very well with other Cougar fans. I respectfully withdraw his name from consideration. :)
Trying to recreate girls gone wild huh? 😆😆 . Coach O can recruit his arse off though. That UTSA coach pretty good too. Sean Lewis the CU oc formerly of Kent St seems to be cranking up the his name. Maybe Eddie George?

Sumlin?

You're joking?

That's a good one

Herman would still be my choice. He did manage to land the team a 5-Star recruit.

CBS Sports, "He most notably went 13-1 in his first season at Houston in 2015, improving the Cougars from 8-5 the year prior while capturing an AAC championship and Peach Bowl victory. Herman went 22-4 overall at Houston before leaving for Texas in 2017".

Yeah, I could see going back to the well with Herman.

No to any former coaches coming back I doubt they fire Dana after this year unless they finish 2-10 but his butt will be red hot next season for sure.

Herman would still be my choice. He did manage to land the team a 5-Star recruit.

CBS Sports, "He most notably went 13-1 in his first season at Houston in 2015, improving the Cougars from 8-5 the year prior while capturing an AAC championship and Peach Bowl victory. Herman went 22-4 overall at Houston before leaving for Texas in 2017".

Yeah, I could see going back to the well with Herman.
I'm certain he could recruit better at Houston vs Florida Atlantic also

The main reason is he has the right people in his corner for now. If it changes will be the only way it changes plus its going to take $50 million to buyout him and his staff and bring in a new one.

He needs to go, but he has Tillman, Pez, and Renu buying his its going to take another 2 years to compete at this level crap.

The main reason is he has the right people in his corner for now. If it changes will be the only way it changes plus its going to take $50 million to buyout him and his staff and bring in a new one.

He needs to go, but he has Tillman, Pez, and Renu buying his its going to take another 2 years to compete at this level crap.
15m is his buyout, thats it!

Tom Herman (FAU HC) and/or Kendal Briles (Arkansas OC) would be a formable duo or either as the next HC.

Rockets already did it a few seasons ago.
Of course they did.

main-square_1b2f3939-4a06-4fdb-9f6b-49568cccef33_540x.jpg

The Rockets have so many jerseys, I can't figure who they are when I turn on a game.

Coogs with a big gooseegg in the second half to lose by 21.
On the bright side if you have a rich uncle this is what it will take to send Dana packing
  • $14.48M after the 2023 season
  • $10.08M after the 2024 season
  • $5.58M after the 2025 season
  • $2.82M after the 2026 season

Back