Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Free Agency

Porky

Hall of Fame
These contracts are reasonable for this era. I'd think Nick is about done in the FA market. Could be one last surprise signing, but most likely it's time to turn our attention to the draft.

I'll give Nick a solid B in FA. If he had been able to sign a few of the better guys to 2-3 or even 4 year deals, it would be closer to an A, but I have to account for the fact that most of these guys likely walk so that is a drag on my grade. Hope he can lock up a couple of these folks if they prove out in 2023. All in all, I'm happy with FA. Onward and upward to the draft!

Khelar

Rookie
These contracts are reasonable for this era. I'd think Nick is about done in the FA market. Could be one last surprise signing, but most likely it's time to turn our attention to the draft.

I'll give Nick a solid B in FA. If he had been able to sign a few of the better guys to 2-3 or even 4 year deals, it would be closer to an A, but I have to account for the fact that most of these guys likely walk so that is a drag on my grade. Hope he can lock up a couple of these folks if they prove out in 2023. All in all, I'm happy with FA. Onward and upward to the draft!
I’m going to be very curious to see if we extend any of those guys. I don’t know if Caserio is using the 1 year deals to see who performs well in the systems we set up or if he actually just views these guys as rentals.

We have a ton of money next year so if say Dalton Schultz or Rankins have a really good year I don’t see how it doesn’t make sense to keep them around.

Glad to see you have stepped away from the cliff after the first few days of FA :)

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
The part I think is weird is that you think any benefit of the doubt needs to be extended for a camp body on a 1 year vet minimum contract with the possibility of 40k in dead money
My point is that the negativity of the fan base is a direct result of the inept management of this team for the past 5 seasons, on the heels of a previous 15+ years of mediocrity... Personally, I am very pleased with the off-season. I am a believer in Nick Casserio, but I certainly understand why other fans are not.

Khelar

Rookie
My point is that the negativity of the fan base is a direct result of the inept management of this team for the past 5 seasons, on the heels of a previous 15+ years of mediocrity... Personally, I am very pleased with the off-season. I am a believer in Nick Casserio, but I certainly understand why other fans are not.
I get that but I can understand where something is coming from and still find it silly. It’s like criticizing a politician you don’t like for how they tie they’re shoes. Is this really the thing you want to find fault with today?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I get that but I can understand where something is coming from and still find it silly. It’s like criticizing a politician you don’t like for how they tie they’re shoes. Is this really the thing you want to find fault with today?
Cheese with your whine? I posed a question about one specific player. Derek Rivers. He's done zip other than get injured his 2 years in Houston. Yet Nick gives him a 3rd contract. Yes, someone is getting that contract. That's not the point. Rivers has earned $1 million from the Texans for zip production and no upside. And he'll get a hangnail in camp, and get another injury settlement. Why Derek Rivers?

Last edited:

Khelar

Rookie
Cheese with your whine? I posed a question about one specific player. Derek Rivers. He's done zip other than get injured his 2 years in Houston. Yet Nick gives him a 3rd contract. Yes, someone is getting that contract. That's not the point. Rivers has earned a $1 million from the Texans for zip production and no upside. And he'll get a hangnail in camp, and get another injury settlement. Why Derek Rivers?
Actually pseudo deleting my comment here this really isn’t worth arguing about

Last edited:

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Cheese with your whine? I posed a question about one specific player. Derek Rivers. He's done zip other than get injured his 2 years in Houston. Yet Nick gives him a 3rd contract. Yes, someone is getting that contract. That's not the point. Rivers has earned $1 million from the Texans for zip production and no upside. And he'll get a hangnail in camp, and get another injury settlement. Why Derek Rivers?
Rivers looks really good in pre-season before he gets hurt. Worth some cheese on the off chance he stays healthy

banned1976

sleeper mode
For me, the apathy started with Brian Gaine, a man at the time adverse to making big decisions, or even small ones like maneuvering around in the draft a little. After his firing the wheels completely came off. My favorite GM Bill O'Brien moment was when he was yelling at the Lions...

Dejaview

All Pro
constant bitching is a result of dysfunctional minds. For all the bitchers out there, how has that moved your life forward? Life looks great from my end. How about yours?

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I'd empty my bank account to watch Bill O'Brien get belly-to-back suplexed like 50 times in a row, Brian.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
From what I have read this does not include the Perryman or Schultz signings or the rookie pool. So once those are taken into account I BELIEVE they are out of cap space and may need to make some moves
True.

However, there are a lot of teams out there (like most of them) who are in much worse shape than we are at this point. Most of the teams on that list would end up in the negative range if they were to take out the rookie pool and we have more people signed than most of those teams as well.

So, I'm not worried about it. It's just normal at this point, I think.

wildroot

Rookie
Updated

F/A Signings/Trades

Shaq Mason OG
Robert Wood WR
Andrew Beck TE
Case Keenum QB
Chase Winovich DE
Mike Boone RB
Hassan Ridgeway DT
Jimmy Ward CB
Noah Brown WR
Sheldon Rankins DT
Devin Singletary RB
Dalton Schultz TE
Michael Deiter C
Cory Littleton LB
Denzel Perryman LB
Steven Simms Jr KR/WR

Resigned/Extended

Laremy Tunsil OT
MJ Stewart S
Tavierre Thomas CB
Derek Rivers DE

Last edited:

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Not sure about Deiter, hope somebody can give something positive on him but seems like he’s had a patchy career, and much of it at OG rather than C, consensus seemed to be that this draft isn’t rich at C either so that is my only concern moving towards the season.

Even where they made non-splashy moves, like WR and LB, at least I can see that they are building to fit scheme and can play to their strengths, even if it’s clear we will need to improve at a later date.

Can’t see them surprising me much in this draft, QB, EDGE, OC, LB will surely be their top priorities and I’d expect them addressed in that order if the right picks are available in the right places.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Not sure about Deiter, hope somebody can give something positive on him but seems like he’s had a patchy career, and much of it at OG rather than C, consensus seemed to be that this draft isn’t rich at C either so that is my only concern moving towards the season.

Even where they made non-splashy moves, like WR and LB, at least I can see that they are building to fit scheme and can play to their strengths, even if it’s clear we will need to improve at a later date.

Can’t see them surprising me much in this draft, QB, EDGE, OC, LB will surely be their top priorities and I’d expect them addressed in that order if the right picks are available in the right places.
Deiter started out as OG but was moved to C in 2021.
He played 100% of the snaps and allowed just 1 sack in 8 starts
He played 5 games against playoff teams, 1 game against an average team, and 2 against bad teams.
The Dolphins went 5-3 with him in the lineup (including a 28-31 OT loss to the Raiders).
They went 4-4 without him (and an easier schedule).

He got injured last season and hardly saw training camp.
The Dolphins signed the veteran Connor Williams and Deiter never saw another snap when he came back.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Deiter started out as OG but was moved to C in 2021.
He played 100% of the snaps and allowed just 1 sack in 8 starts
He played 5 games against playoff teams, 1 game against an average team, and 2 against bad teams.
The Dolphins went 5-3 with him in the lineup (including a 28-31 OT loss to the Raiders).
They went 4-4 without him (and an easier schedule).

He got injured last season and hardly saw training camp.
The Dolphins signed the veteran Connor Williams and Deiter never saw another snap when he came back.
That doesn't clear much up for me. Has @CloakNNNdagger weighed in on his foot injury?
EDIT: It's worrisome that he missed time due to a foot injury last year that happened the season before.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He dressed for all 17 games last year; just didn't play.
Connor Williams played 100% of the snaps and played well.

I don't think the foot injury is a problem.
I get that, but is Williams that much better of a center than Deiter?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I get that, but is Williams that much better of a center than Deiter?
When it comes to OL, the better player usually plays 100% of the snaps if healthy. Teams rarely rotate out OL unless it’s a starter coming off injury working back into game shape.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Why NFL wide receiver market has been so muted this offseason compared to last year
The wide receiver market has mostly been at a standstill for much of the past week, as teams have remained disciplined with their price points for the remaining talent available.

And there’s logic behind it.

While so many await word on potential new destinations for Arizona’s DeAndre Hopkins, Denver’s Jerry Jeudy and Courtland

Sutton, as well as free-agent Odell Beckham Jr. and potentially even Cincinnati’s Tee Higgins, plenty of factors must be resolved before anything is set in motion.

To this point, it’s played out to a predictable outcome.

“The market is down because people didn’t think it was a good group of receivers,” a high-ranking team executive told The Athletic. That sentiment was echoed by several more team executives who were granted anonymity to speak freely.
[Click the link above for the whole story]

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
That doesn't clear much up for me. Has @CloakNNNdagger weighed in on his foot injury?
EDIT: It's worrisome that he missed time due to a foot injury last year that happened the season before.
Oct 2021, Deiter suffered not only a foot injury, but also a quadriceps injury Oct. 2021. The former was a stress fracture for which he was treated conservatively with a walking boot. The latter was a severe quadriceps contusion suffered on the same play. He was activated and ready to play 2 months later, but he lost his starting position. He played again in the 3rd 2022 preseason game, but lost the entire 2022 starting role to Connor Williams. Since he joined the Dolphins in 2019, he never proved himself to be more than a placeholder. As things stand now, I don't believe that his injury history is his significant limiting factor. From what I see, I am looking at him as no real upgrade over our miserable failure of our Center Quessenberry.........unless the scheme allows him a total transformation.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Oct 2021, Deiter suffered not only a foot injury, but also a quadriceps injury Oct. 2021. The former was a stress fracture for which he was treated conservatively with a walking boot. The latter was a severe quadriceps contusion suffered on the same play. He was activated and ready to play 2 months later, but he lost his starting position. He played again in the 3rd 2022 preseason game, but lost the entire 2022 starting role to Connor Williams. Since he joined the Dolphins in 2019, he never proved himself to be more than a placeholder. As things stand now, I don't believe that his injury history is his significant limiting factor. From what I see, I am looking at him as no real upgrade over our miserable failure of our Center Quessenberry.........unless the scheme allows him a total transformation.
He started the first 3 games of the season in 2021 before sustaining an injury.
When he came back, he started the last 5 games of the season.
He played 100% of the snaps in all of those 8 games.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I have to wonder about all of these 1 year contracts like so many others here.

- obviously, management believes prove it deals encourage superior performance on the field.

-is NC playing the compensatory pick game? If so, he'd have to believe he'll be here long term. Trading 6th round picks for a jag you cut 3-4 months later undermines this strategy. We'll see how it goes.

-it seems to me, they have extreme confidence in their draft process to manage free agency this way.

-on first glance, signing so many players to 1 year deals would seem to stretch the cap more then necessary. Average position salaries escalate every year and doing 1 year deals would mean we pay the new premium yearly for FA'S. Did they conduct a financial study and determine paying inflationary rates for x number players is actually cheaper then the 4-8 bad long-term contracts every team surely has? Is there a chance they're being fiscally responsible by operating this way? I don't have the wherewithal or the acumen to say for sure ,but it's a question.

I wasn't happy with our free agency haul initially, but collectively i've come to like it. As a whole, we should be less predictable and desperate in the draft.

I see a method. I don't know if it's a good one ,but at least there's a plan.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
They got Schultz under market rate in my view, think he should be $12m per. I dont think they paid a premium for these guys. All of us seem to think they are very confident in their drafting.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
He started the first 3 games of the season in 2021 before sustaining an injury.
When he came back, he started the last 5 games of the season.
He played 100% of the snaps in all of those 8 games.
And did not look any better than a mediocre center. Mancz took over the center position in 2021 while Deiter was out............but Mancz also suffered a high ankle injury the first game back and tried playing through it for 3 games. He was essentially a shadow after that. The Phins had no real options except to throw Deiter back in. The Dolphins gave up on Deiter, signing Connor Williams who was a total performance contrast to Deiter. The Dolphins never looked back.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
They got Schultz under market rate in my view, think he should be $12m per. I dont think they paid a premium for these guys. All of us seem to think they are very confident in their drafting.
The Cowboys could have put the franchise tag on him at $11.3M, but they didn't do it.

I'm not sure what his market value should be as there doesn't seem to have a team willing to offer him more than the Texans did (?)

Maybe the Texans promised him more targets since they don't have a true no. 1 receiver yet?
That could help to improve his value for next year.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
And did not look any better than a mediocre center. Mancz took over the center position in 2021 while Deiter was out............but Mancz also suffered a high ankle injury the first game back and tried playing through it for 3 games. He was essentially a shadow after that. The Phins had no real options except to throw Deiter back in. The Dolphins gave up on Deiter, signing Connor Williams who was a total performance contrast to Deiter. The Dolphins never looked back.
Like I said, Connor Williams was graded the third best center in the league by PFF.

I had also detailed his (Deiter's) play in one of the posts above.

In 2021, the Dolphins were better with him than without him while playing the more difficult stretches on the schedule.

In 8 games, he allowed just one sack.

Connor Williams gave up 3 sacks in 2022.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
I have to wonder about all of these 1 year contracts like so many others here.

- obviously, management believes prove it deals encourage superior performance on the field.

-is NC playing the compensatory pick game? If so, he'd have to believe he'll be here long term. Trading 6th round picks for a jag you cut 3-4 months later undermines this strategy. We'll see how it goes.

-it seems to me, they have extreme confidence in their draft process to manage free agency this way.

-on first glance, signing so many players to 1 year deals would seem to stretch the cap more then necessary. Average position salaries escalate every year and doing 1 year deals would mean we pay the new premium yearly for FA'S. Did they conduct a financial study and determine paying inflationary rates for x number players is actually cheaper then the 4-8 bad long-term contracts every team surely has? Is there a chance they're being fiscally responsible by operating this way? I don't have the wherewithal or the acumen to say for sure ,but it's a question.

I wasn't happy with our free agency haul initially, but collectively i've come to like it. As a whole, we should be less predictable and desperate in the draft.

I see a method. I don't know if it's a good one ,but at least there's a plan.
I think did a good job of outlining some of the key points

1- Long-term will put the Texans in the compensatory pick game.
2- Makes your current year's draft less predictable
3- Helps a team overcome in-season depth issues
4- Keeps the salary cap manageable while doing the above

Specific in Caserio's case this is how he learned the roster construct with the Patriots.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Deiter was graded as the second best lineman on a terrible offensive line.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The data from this blog use another statistic website had Deiter with zero sack allowed, though they still used a lot of data from PFF.

Deiter was actually rated very high, probably because of the zero sack and low blown block rate.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2022/3/15/22977393/nfl-starting-centers-2021-stats-rankings

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
The Cowboys could have put the franchise tag on him at $11.3M, but they didn't do it.

I'm not sure what his market value should be as there doesn't seem to have a team willing to offer him more than the Texans did (?)

Maybe the Texans promised him more targets since they don't have a true no. 1 receiver yet?
That could help to improve his value for next year.
Owboys used their tag on RB because they were cutting Zeke, so yes, but
you cannot use it on multiple dudes. Hard to tell why he did not see a batter deal, but sure seems like an offense suited for him to rack up stats and set himself up.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Owboys used their tag on RB because they were cutting Zeke, so yes, but
you cannot use it on multiple dudes. Hard to tell why he did not see a batter deal, but sure seems like an offense suited for him to rack up stats and set himself up.
I wouldn't ever use the franchise tag on a rb. Dallas can just draft a rb as a replacement.