Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 DRAFT PICK SELECTION THREAD

Dell great stats avg speed another surprise to me but a Uof H guy.
As a junior in 2021 he played 14 games and hauled in 91 catches for an outstanding 1327 yards for an average of 14.6 yards per catch, with 12 TDs, and a QB rating when targeted of 116.2.

As a senior in 2022 he played 12 games and led the nation with 102 catches and 1355 yards for an average of 13.3 yards per catch, 15 TDs, and an outstanding QB rating when targeted of 132.0.
  • Hugely productive receiver - led the nation over the past two years with over 2700 yds and 29 TDs
  • Dell accelerates quickly and possesses excellent straight-line speed. He shows solid ball-tracking skills and body control downfield, able to adjust to the off-target throw.
a slot receiver he has displayed the capability to operate on the outside.
  • He’ll be coming to the NFL from a wide-open spread offense in which Dell ran a limited route tree.
  • When corners play press and manage to get hold of Dell he can be taken out of the game and easily outmuscled
He's a play maker. Look at his tape and you'll see he tracks the ball very well and has good hands.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 2
NFL Comparison
Darnell Mooney
Overview
Every second of the route is a separation opportunity for Dell, a touchdown-making machine who pairs electrifying top-end speed with twitchy short-area quickness. His routes are fast and effective on all three levels with keen ball-tracking talent deep and sideline-dotting footwork. Focus drops and contested catches are ongoing issues that are likely to continue at the next level. Dell is dangerous with the ball in his hands after the catch and as a game-changing punt returner. His slender frame is a concern, but the explosive talent could be difficult to pass up for teams needing a big-play weapon to stretch the field and mismatch coverages.

Last edited:
Dell great stats avg speed another surprise to me but a Uof H guy.
As a junior in 2021 he played 14 games and hauled in 91 catches for an outstanding 1327 yards for an average of 14.6 yards per catch, with 12 TDs, and a QB rating when targeted of 116.2.

As a senior in 2022 he played 12 games and led the nation with 102 catches and 1355 yards for an average of 13.3 yards per catch, 15 TDs, and an outstanding QB rating when targeted of 132.0.
  • Hugely productive receiver - led the nation over the past two years with over 2700 yds and 29 TDs
  • Dell accelerates quickly and possesses excellent straight-line speed. He shows solid ball-tracking skills and body control downfield, able to adjust to the off-target throw.
a slot receiver he has displayed the capability to operate on the outside.
  • He’ll be coming to the NFL from a wide-open spread offense in which Dell ran a limited route tree.
  • When corners play press and manage to get hold of Dell he can be taken out of the game and easily outmuscled

After Watching some film on him just now I cam away very impressed. He seems like a much better WR than I expected. I was expecting a raw guy with a bunch of playmaking potential, but he seems pretty polished as a WR.

Texans have been trying to find a guy in this mold for yeeearrss...Braxton Miller, KeKe Coutee, Mumphry...

This guy looks like he may actually have the skills to fill that role and hopefully Stroud is the guy that can get it to him.

After Watching some film on him just now I cam away very impressed. He seems like a much better WR than I expected. I was expecting a raw guy with a bunch of playmaking potential, but he seems pretty polished as a WR.

Texans have been trying to find a guy in this mold for yeeearrss...Braxton Miller, KeKe Coutee, Mumphry...

This guy looks like he may actually have the skills to fill that role and hopefully Stroud is the guy that can get it to him.
He is polished ad very accurate route runner and Stroud's accuracy should help him. I wished we had a WR that will take D focus off him. I see him going over middle and getting banged.

I just thought they would have take Wypler. If Wypler had been gone I would have made the trade. I'm pretty sure most boards have Wypler higher. I have no issue with them drafting Scruggs if he is their guy. I just wouldn't have traded if Wypler was still there. Someone more than likely would have grabbed him first before Juice. If they did, then you make the trade.
No offense... but this kind of thinking is why guys like Mike Mayock make bad GMs. None of us, none of the guys who publish their mocks in papers, magazines, or websites, none of the talking heads on TV have the access NFL teams have to these players. None of them are on the phones talking to teams on draft day feeling out other teams. & none of their jobs are on the line.

It's a fantasy that many buy into, that they "know"

I don't know. & I'm not a fan of Nick Caserio. But take all your mock drafts & figure out how right they were, percentage wise. You'll see there are two totally different realities. & only one really matters.

No offense... but this kind of thinking is why guys like Mike Mayock make bad GMs. None of us, none of the guys who publish their mocks in papers, magazines, or websites, none of the talking heads on TV have the access NFL teams have to these players. None of them are on the phones talking to teams on draft day feeling out other teams. & none of their jobs are on the line.

It's a fantasy that many buy into, that they "know"

I don't know. & I'm not a fan of Nick Caserio. But take all your mock drafts & figure out how right they were, percentage wise. You'll see there are two totally different realities. & only one really matters.
Exactly! NC told us the draft was going to fall different than most expected.

I would have taken Wypler, especially if we were trading up to do it, but I did see somewhere…maybe NFL network, that Juice was a quick riser and he was going to go higher then many expected. Reach? Remains to be seen because we haven’t seen him play. As far as “nobody” had him going that high, maybe it’s because Nick is a somebody.

I’m not going to complain because we needed a center and we haven’t seen him in action.

I would have taken Wypler, especially if we were trading up to do it, but I did see somewhere…maybe NFL network, that Juice was a quick riser and he was going to go higher then many expected. Reach? Remains to be seen because we haven’t seen him play. As far as “nobody” had him going that high, maybe it’s because Nick is a somebody.

I’m not going to complain because we needed a center and we haven’t seen him in action.
I'm just going to assume he's a better scheme fit

Ringo, Abanikanda, Too Too, Perry, Zavala, Wypler, Dawand Jones. I really want to take a flier on Iosivas. I think he will be gone in the 5th, but the top of the 4th is way too high.
I like Charlie Jones also. Maybe with one of our later picks if available

I got to ask... for those of you complaining about losing picks and trading up, do yall really value 6/7 round picks that much? Most of those picks don't even usually pan out in the NFL iirc.

True, but why just throw them away? Did they really have to give up 2 picks to move 3 spots from 65 to 62 to take Scruggs?

They did if they wanted to be sure to get him. Denver also needed a center and the top centers were gone

Like I said in the other thread, Stromberg was still available and the Broncos passed him for a WR and LB. Wypler too for that matter.

True, but why just throw them away? Did they really have to give up 2 picks to move 3 spots from 65 to 62 to take Scruggs?

Let me return that with a question then. If you really wanted a player and with your insider connections felt they might get taken before your time, wouldn't it be worth it if it only cost a couple of potential projects that are statistically likely to wash out?

Like I said in the other thread, Stromberg was still available and the Broncos passed him for a WR and LB. Wypler too for that matter.

While I get that, there is a difference between "the guy we want" and "he could also work". If Caserio / Meco really wanted Juice/Tank, it seems wise to guarantee the acquisition rather than risk it. Speaking of Wypler, didn't a lot of other teams pass on him as well. There is probably something going on that the NFL teams see / know that we aren't aware of.

But we don't know if Denver (or another team that needs a C) was looking at Scruggs like we were.

I have participated in too many mock drafts where I've got my eye on a player just to have him go 3-4 picks before mine. It's very irritating. I have no problem using that draft capital to move up and get your guy.

I trust the scouts to know who the better prospect is. Also, there is something really strange that we would not take Wypler instead since he was the center for Stroud and you would think they knew each others tendencies and timing.

I trust the scouts to know who the better prospect is. Also, there is something really strange that we would not take Wypler instead since he was the center for Stroud and you would think they knew each others tendencies and timing.

That was one of the reasons I expected Wypler to be the guy.

Back