Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2022 OTA’s Mini Camp And Pre Season

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Stingley and Pitre are starters? That sucks, because starters never play more than a series in the first preseason game.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
According to the local podcasts. The offense really wet the bed in camp yesterday. Seeing as the team was supposed to have Monday off. I can only assume it was Friday or Saturday. It's on the Locked On Texans podcast today uploaded a few hours ago. Actually I think it is a late upload for yesterday. Must be really bad if you're using it for the podcast title.

vtech9

All Pro
According to the local podcasts. The offense really wet the bed in camp yesterday. Seeing as the team was supposed to have Monday off. I can only assume it was Friday or Saturday. It's on the Locked On Texans podcast today uploaded a few hours ago. Actually I think it is a late upload for yesterday. Must be really bad if you're using it for the podcast title.
From what they were saying, it sounded like the defense had the clamps on. Bad for the Offense, but good for the Defense.

heart and prayers go out to the young man for a quick recovery, but from a team standpoint...no big loss. I dont think anyone expected him to be RB1 or Rb2 for that matter. Pretty sure everyone was looking to Mack, Pierce, and Burkhead...thats a hard group to break into when you start playing the numbers by position game.

vtech9

All Pro
heart and prayers go out to the young man for a quick recovery, but from a team standpoint...no big loss. I dont think anyone expected him to be RB1 or Rb2 for that matter. Pretty sure everyone was looking to Mack, Pierce, and Burkhead...thats a hard group to break into when you start playing the numbers by position game.
I hate that he got hurt, but it may just be the best thing for him. From what I heard, he's looked pretty good in camp, but his chances of making the team were pretty slim. If he goes on IR, and comes back healthy next season, he will probably have an easier time, because I expect Burkhead to retire after this season.

I hate that he got hurt, but it may just be the best thing for him. From what I heard, he's looked pretty good in camp, but his chances of making the team were pretty slim. If he goes on IR, and comes back healthy next season, he will probably have an easier time, because I expect Burkhead to retire after this season.
totally agree

Porky

Hall of Fame
I don't like anyone to get hurt, sick, or anything else...but I always judge these things from the bigger picture team perspective.

Which...is a total 100% nothing burger. He probably wasn't making the team anyway.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
My favorite rookie this year.. I will be taking a late round flier on him on my FF team. People that can move piles, tend to get the goal line carries. Hopefully he isn't one of those rookie backs who start coughing the ball up during preseason and gets buried in the dog house.
He'll be that more important now that Anderson has dislocated his knee and is done for the season.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Oh My! Woe is We! Woe is We!!!!!!

********************************************************************************************************************

Offensive woes on display during Day 9 of Texans training camp
  • Brian Barefield
Wed, August 10, 2022 at 12:30 PM·3 min read

Tempers started to flare slightly as the Texans are champing at the bit to lay a lick on someone in another uniform.

Here are are some key observations.

The Texans got a welcomed site back at practice on Tuesday. Right tackle Tytus Howard returned from the COVID-19 list to his regular offensive line spot. He has been absent from practice since last Friday.

Before practice concluded, Howard was seen on one knee being attended to by the Texans training staff as he was winded from having missed so much time away from camp. He will probably miss the Texans’ first preseason game against the New Orleans Saints as he works to get his body back in shape for the regular season.

Tempers flare in Texas heat

As the first team offense and defense went against each other in the two-minute drill in the final 11-on-11 matchup, tempers began to flare between veteran running back Rex Burkhead and rookie cornerback Derek Stingley.

After Burkhead took the handoff and ran the ball in, he lowered his shoulder into Stingley and continued after the whistle blew.

Stingley did not like the extra gesture, exchanged words with Burkhead. Safety Jalen Pitre stepped in to help his fellow rookie by shoving Burkhead before multiple players stepped in to help resolve the issue. That fire from Stingley is what the Texans want to see in the regular season.
Offense struggles

Offense Struggles

Offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton was not pleased with what he saw on the field from his offensive unit on Tuesday. It appears they were stuck in the mud, and quarterback Davis Mills was ineffective in leading the team during the two-minute and red zone drills.

During the third round of 11-on-11 drills, Mills consistently missed open receivers and was indecisive on plays that should have been easy for him since he had a lot of time in the pocket to operate.

Another glaring concern over the last couple of practices is Mills’ inability to throw the ball down the field. With uncertainty about how effective the running game will be with Marlon Mack, Rex Burkhead, and rookie Dameon Pierce, the Texans will need downfield plays that will loosen up the defense.
If Mills can’t do that, Houston’s offense will become methodical and predictable. Two things you can’t be if you are hoping to improve on back-to-back four-win seasons.

Dejaview

All Pro
Day 11 of training camp will go down in Texans lore as the day that identified the teams 2022 season….bullshite!!! Just a bad day at the office. Tomorrow will be a new day….as will the next day and so on and so on. There will be good and great days ahead as well.
But if you repeatedly said the O was clicking on all cylinders the same naysayers would be calling homerism, lol. Where are the idiots that should be taking shots at Cal grilling today for the team. Another thread? Don’t care really anymore.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Oh My! Woe is We! Woe is We!!!!!!

********************************************************************************************************************

Offensive woes on display during Day 9 of Texans training camp
  • Brian Barefield
Wed, August 10, 2022 at 12:30 PM·3 min read

Tempers started to flare slightly as the Texans are champing at the bit to lay a lick on someone in another uniform.

Here are are some key observations.

The Texans got a welcomed site back at practice on Tuesday. Right tackle Tytus Howard returned from the COVID-19 list to his regular offensive line spot. He has been absent from practice since last Friday.

Before practice concluded, Howard was seen on one knee being attended to by the Texans training staff as he was winded from having missed so much time away from camp. He will probably miss the Texans’ first preseason game against the New Orleans Saints as he works to get his body back in shape for the regular season.

Tempers flare in Texas heat

As the first team offense and defense went against each other in the two-minute drill in the final 11-on-11 matchup, tempers began to flare between veteran running back Rex Burkhead and rookie cornerback Derek Stingley.

After Burkhead took the handoff and ran the ball in, he lowered his shoulder into Stingley and continued after the whistle blew.

Stingley did not like the extra gesture, exchanged words with Burkhead. Safety Jalen Pitre stepped in to help his fellow rookie by shoving Burkhead before multiple players stepped in to help resolve the issue. That fire from Stingley is what the Texans want to see in the regular season.
Offense struggles

Offense Struggles

Offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton was not pleased with what he saw on the field from his offensive unit on Tuesday. It appears they were stuck in the mud, and quarterback Davis Mills was ineffective in leading the team during the two-minute and red zone drills.

During the third round of 11-on-11 drills, Mills consistently missed open receivers and was indecisive on plays that should have been easy for him since he had a lot of time in the pocket to operate.

Another glaring concern over the last couple of practices is Mills’ inability to throw the ball down the field. With uncertainty about how effective the running game will be with Marlon Mack, Rex Burkhead, and rookie Dameon Pierce, the Texans will need downfield plays that will loosen up the defense.
If Mills can’t do that, Houston’s offense will become methodical and predictable. Two things you can’t be if you are hoping to improve on back-to-back four-win seasons.
Every qb has bad days, its the nfl. Mills need to toe the line between being checkdown charlie and taking what the defense gives him. If you check the qbs who deliver the ball on time, the top 3 or 4 are guys like Cousins.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I like those joint practices more than preseason games.
I’ve been preaching to scrap the PS games and just do joint practices for a few years now.

Very few playing on Sep. 11 will be playing in this game Saturday. Very few will see more than a handful of snaps in any of the 3 games.

At least in joint practices the 1’s are getting reps in against another team. Seems like a better way to evaluate your team over playing against your own. But maybe that’s just me.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
From what they were saying, it sounded like the defense had the clamps on. Bad for the Offense, but good for the Defense.
That's 1/2 what I got from it. But, they also mentioned that while finished with good stats, his first part of practice was not good. They also said that he was mainly throwing slant, curl and crossing routes. That his deep passes were not great. They didn't know if that's what they were focused on or if Mills was having WRs covered or just wasn't going deep. If it's Mills, he needs to get working on deep passes.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I asked the question of why the Texans aren't having any joint practices? I like those joint practices more than preseason games.
It could be they can't find any team that wants to practice in this heat.

Reactions: JB

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Lovie came out and said he doesn’t like joint practice/scrimmage with another team. He says he hasn’t done them for 20 years and doesn’t like them because you can lose control.

It’s him y’all.

Let’s not overreact and act like another team doesn’t want to have a joint practice/scrimmage with the Texans.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
That would be understandable because outside of NOLA, Miami & TB there's not many places if any in the NFL that have the same kind of heat and humidity that we have in Houston that really puts the visiting teams unaccustomed to these conditions at a disadvantage.
Of course it didn't stop the Broncos (accustomed to that delightfully cool & dry Rocky Mountain air) from visiting one summer and I personally got to see some tremendous RZ competition then between the great Andre Johnson and the former but late outstanding Denver CB Darrent Williams standing just feet away from them in the EZ. Wow that was better than any live NFL game ! Younger then I could tolerate that weather better back then.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Hi friends. This year, I am not doing the granular day by day camp observations because 1. it takes time and financially any moment I spend on Texans stuff is taking money out of my pocket, and I'm paying for two college tuitions these days and love doesn't pay for that lol 2. lots of people are day to day evals which is very nice but also just one person's observations with a lot going on 3. most importantly to me, this camp is interesting in a way I haven't felt in a while, where talking about the granular stuff can give people a mistaken impression to people who aren't watching.

Like I know to my bones why people want to know stuff. That's why I started writing it because it was hard to find any info back in the day.

But describing it as it is being installed and learning is happening day to day is hard to keep it accurate. Like each side of the ball is getting after it. They are working on different things, and some of those things are hard to know from the outside. A lot of it is hard to predict before you see it on the field because so much of this is new. So it can be hard to differentiate between this is hmm because it is bad, and this is hmm because it is new.

I will tell you that I like a lot of things that you put in place for winning football. A GM who is always looking for roster composition and has put some ball players with speed on the field. You can coach speed. Coach who knows what he wants, his players believe in, who is open to keep looking for edges. Cal behind the scenes is spending money on things that needed money to be spent on. I do not take spending money for granted because I have been a Houston sports fan for a long time. And then in just interviewing the position coaches and players and watching what they do, you can see why they are on the team.

Now every team is looking for those things. Working hard blah blah blah. But for a fact, not every year of the team I've felt that those winning elements were in camp.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Tampa and Miami just had joint practices. No matter where they did it, their climate is similar to ours. Its also ridiculous Houston doesn't use the elements to their advantage during the early schedule. The fans will adjust, but if you have a northern team in that blistering September heat and humidity, you gain an advantage.