Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2022 OTA’s Mini Camp And Pre Season

YouTube tripping. I’m trying to upload the interviews from today. But it’s loading the interviews from yesterday

Last edited:
Jalen Pitre shines on Day 6 of Texans training camp
Brian Barefield
August 6, 2022 11:11 am CT

After a much-needed off day, the Houston Texans returned to the practice field for Day 6 of training camp. Here are a few observations.

OLs Tytus Howard, Kenyon Green will miss time

There were some significant absences from the practice field at Houston Methodist Training Center on Friday. Offensive linemen Tytus Howard and rookie Kenyon Green were not in attendance when the Texans took the field. According to head coach Lovie Smith, both will miss a significant amount of time but may be ready for the Texans’ first preseason game on Aug. 13 against the New Orleans Saints.

Multiple sources have reported that Tytus Howard tested positive for COVID-19 and will be monitored and tested daily until he can produce negative results after taking numerous coronavirus tests. Green left practice early on Wednesday under his own will with a slight limp and, for precautionary measures, was held out of practice on Friday.

“They’re both out injury-wise,” said coach Smith about his two offensive linemen. “We don’t necessarily go over what the injury is, but both of them are out for a period of time. They don’t have season-ending injuries. They’ll be out for a period of time, and we expect to get them back shortly.”

One 'Heck' of a day

Third-year lineman Charlie Heck replaced Tytus Howard at right tackle and edge rusher Maliek Collins gave him problems the entire time they were matched against each other.
Collins continuously beat Heck at the snap with power and agility. At one point, offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton sent the fullback over to help give Mills enough time in the pocket.

As previously mentioned, starting right tackle Howard will miss some time from practice due to NFL health and safety protocols regarding COVID-19. If at any point during the season he has to miss a game or two, the Texans may have to explore other options as his backup if Heck cannot stack together multiple days of productive football.

Jalen Pitre becoming a problem for the offense

The Texans were left with a void at safety when former third-round pick Justin Reid decided against signing back with the team and agreed to terms with the Kansas City Chiefs this offseason.
Reid’s athleticism and football IQ impressed Houston’s defensive coaches, and with his departure, they were looking to bring in another player of his caliber. They may have exceeded it by drafting Jalen Pitre.

During seven-on-seven drills, Pitre snagged his first interception of training camp by making a spectacular catch after linebacker Neville Hewitt tipped a Davis Mills pass high in the air.

“What we should notice about Jalen is he’s just blending in now,” Smith said. “Of course, he’s one of our starting safeties. We aren’t giving out any starting spots, but he’s been working with the ones. But he’s intelligent, smart, everything we’re looking for in a safety, he has. Can’t wait for him to actually play his first game.”

Pitre, who was selected with the 37th overall pick in the second round of the 2022 NFL Draft, also has some adjustments to make in pass coverage when he is going up against tight ends. On Friday, Pharaoh Brown used his massive 6-foot-6 frame to body the 5-11 Pitre for a catch in 11-on-11 drills.

Howard was initially reported as "injured." This is the part of year when reports and non-reports of injuries is as heavily masked as teams can get by with.

Last edited:
Third-year lineman Charlie Heck replaced Tytus Howard at right tackle and edge rusher Maliek Collins gave him problems the entire time they were matched against each other.
Collins continuously beat Heck at the snap with power and agility. At one point, offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton sent the fullback over to help give Mills enough time in the pocket.

Maliek Collins at the edge? Is this a 3-4 alignment? Would be a very interesting move if they're in a 4-3.

IF the Texans hit on both Pitre and Stingley, this draft might have been worth it just for those two. Our secondary is in sad shape with Reid gone.

I agree. I mean Stingley could be a Revis kind of CB. And that alone almost takes away 1/2 the field for passing. Pitre is a player. Watch him, what how he acts with other players and last watch him help other players. It wasn't much, but I saw him on the sideline talking to another DB and he seems to be explaining what he did/does to get his hands between the ball and a WR.

I know our secondary was in sad shape even with Reid here. The whole frigging team was, and still is for the most part, in sad shape.

Reactions: JB
I know our secondary was in sad shape even with Reid here. The whole frigging team was, and still is for the most part, in sad shape.
I dunno was our secondary generally accepted to be the weakest part of our defense last season ?

Question for everyone that has been able to go out and watch training camp.... I've been hearing blurbs here and there about rookie TE Seth Green. I've heard that he beat Pitre on a seam play with a great over the shoulder catch. I've also heard that he is quietly having the best Camp out of all of the TE's. Can any of you confirm or deny these reports?

Back