Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2022 FA's

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
This is one source of talent we can peruse now.
The list of QB's is not particularly inspiring:-
How do y'all feel about Jacoby Brissett or Trevor Simian? Look through the list on the link and see what you think.
For mine, it makes it even more obvious that Texans need to help out the QB's we already have by building a better roster - on both sides of the ball.
I won't post every position but will leave it open for others to offer their contributions.

The Texans will have to hit free agency again. Too many holes, too many one year deals. But, I would like to see younger players targeted this time around. I do not want to see the 2022 Texans with the NFL's oldest roster, again. Some of the younger FAs that would be good value include (age at start of 2022 season):

Scott Quessenberry - C - 27
Ethan Pocic - C - 27
Will Hernandez - G - 27
Joseph Noteboom - T - 27
Will Dissly - TE - 26
Braxton Berrios - WR - 26
Marquez Valdes-Scantling - WR - 27
Rasheem Green - DE - 25
Xavier Woods - S - 27
Jordan Whitehead - S - 25
Charvarius Ward - CB - 26

The Texans will have to hit free agency again. Too many holes, too many one year deals. But, I would like to see younger players targeted this time around. I do not want to see the 2022 Texans with the NFL's oldest roster, again. Some of the younger FAs that would be good value include (age at start of 2022 season):

Scott Quessenberry - C - 27
Ethan Pocic - C - 27
Will Hernandez - G - 27
Joseph Noteboom - T - 27
Will Dissly - TE - 26
Braxton Berrios - WR - 26
Marquez Valdes-Scantling - WR - 27
Rasheem Green - DE - 25
Xavier Woods - S - 27
Jordan Whitehead - S - 25
Charvarius Ward - CB - 26

I really dont care how many or how old the FA's they sign are. What I want Caserio to do is do what he did last yr. Find 3-4 FA's on the cheap that are keepers.

I do care. Because I don't want to see another wasted year. Losing is OK, as long as you're building for the future.

What do you consider a wasted yr?

If he finds 3 or 4 solid starters out of the group like he did this yr then the future isn't being wasted.

Add last yrs 4 solid starters in FA (Collins/Thomas/KGH/Smith) with 4 solid starters from this yrs class (If he does as good in FA as he did last yr) and 4/5 star/solid starters from this yrs draft and that's a pretty good start for the rebuild.

That's 12-13 of the starting 22 in FA and 1 draft. That doesn't even include last yrs draft with Mills/Collins/Jordan/Lopez etc... all solid NFL guys. (Not stars) Hopefully Mills becomes a star.

Last edited:
Perhaps with the addition of a couple of "splash" impact players on reasonable contracts.

Those will have to come from the draft this offseason. The Texans aren't yet in position to be players in the big time FA market. Gotta find the Thomas/KGH type guys for now.

In the draft I expect 1-3 and 2-36 to be major impact players from this draft. I also think this is a yr you can find an impact RB in the 3rd rd of the draft. Also with the extra 3rd and in the 4th I expect solid Collins/Mills level players.

If he finds 3 or 4 solid starters out of the group like he did this yr then the future isn't being wasted.
I don't know if Nick's found jack. Maybe. But, maybe there's not a single starter on this team that will be a starter the next time the Texans are in the playoffs. We don't know. He needs to bring in younger players in a higher volume. I don't know why you cannot grasp this.

I don't know if Nick's found jack. Maybe. But, maybe there's not a single starter on this team that will be a starter the next time the Texans are in the playoffs. We don't know. He needs to bring in younger players in a higher volume. I don't know why you cannot grasp this.

I will bet you that KGH/Thomas/Greenard/Blacklock will be starters on a playoff team if they continue to develop. They're all young guys.

I'll go out on a limb and predict Mills will be a starter on a playoff team.

The rooks we got last draft have shown some flashes.
The play they got this season will stand them in good stead moving forward.

The rooks we got last draft have shown some flashes.
The play they got this season will stand them in good stead moving forward.
I have no problems with these guys. I'm hopeful they pan out. Are all of them "solid starters" as @steelbtexan states? I don't know for sure.

I will bet you that KGH/Thomas/Greenard/Blacklock will be starters on a playoff team if they continue to develop. They're all young guys.
Greenard and Blacklock were drafted by O'Brien (and Easterby). And I don't know what constitutes "if they continue to develop" means. There are "ifs" on the team. There are no "wills".

I have no problems with these guys. I'm hopeful they pan out. Are all of them "solid starters" as @steelbtexan states? I don't know for sure.

Not all of the draft picks from last yrs draft will be solid starters. If Mills hits and Caserio gets 1 other solid starter out of that draft plus some solid depth pieces then I will consider that draft a success. I'm thinking long term guys like Jordan and Lopez will be good players but not starters on a championship level team.

I would compare a guy like Jordan to Blake Bell on the Chiefs. You're looking for the next Kelce and Jordan is the 2nd TE that plays quite a bit. He can come in and start a few games when your star level TE is injured and he wont hurt your offense.

Greenard and Blacklock were drafted by O'Brien (and Easterby). And I don't know what constitutes "if they continue to develop" means. There are "ifs" on the team. There are no "wills".

I'm saying if they continue to develop as they currently are they will be starters on playoff teams.

I’d really like to see Caserio shopping at “Other Team Practice Squads” in 2022. These are obviously young players who are closer than not of being on an NFL football field. Oh, and they should be plenty affordable.

Lol, the rationale some use is silly. I Could care less if they’re young guys…this seems to be the only criteria some here have regarding the rebuild. Just b/c they’re young, & on someone’s practice squad doesn’t mean that they can or ever will be able to play on the NFL level at any point. you’re arguably wasting just as much “time” hoping these guys can ascend to whatever potential they are thought to have…pretty much just as you would doing it the way Caserio has chosen to go about it with the older guys…….who At least you know played and were contributors at some point in their careers before age or injury. This is why most coaches side with the veterans over these young guys in the 1st place. The younger guys can be just as injury prone too. So you can be young, injury prone and not be able to play just like you can be an old, injury prone guy and not be able to play anymore.

Lol, the rationale some use is silly. I Could care less if they’re young guys…this seems to be the only criteria some here have regarding the rebuild. Just b/c they’re young, & on someone’s practice squad doesn’t mean that they can or ever will be able to play on the NFL level at any point. you’re arguably wasting just as much “time” hoping these guys can ascend to whatever potential they are thought to have…pretty much just as you would doing it the way Caserio has chosen to go about it with the older guys…….who At least you know played and were contributors at some point in their careers before age or injury. This is why most coaches side with the veterans over these young guys in the 1st place. The younger guys can be just as injury prone too. So you can be young, injury prone and not be able to play just like you can be an old, injury prone guy and not be able to play anymore.

So if your trying fill an empty house with limited funds to do you go the cheap furniture store or go to flea market/garage sale route? Either way there is very little that's a long term answer.

Back