Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2022 dead money

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
You disregard the 19 more yards gained on the ground by Lawrence, including at least two - maybe 3 for first downs.
The TD by Cooks was his and not due to a great throw by Mills.
So what if the Jags get down to the 1 and decided to call a run?
Besides, Steelb doesn't believe in stats.
On the one hand, he claimed that Mills doesn't have much to work with, but then he disregard the facts that the RBs get the Texans more first down than the Jags RBs did; that the Texans receivers were making play for Mills while the Jags dropped five passes; that the Texans Oline did a much better job in pass protection than the Jags did.
It's called double standard; I'm sure you're aware of it.

Honestly, you're just being biased.
If I was to bring up stats like you did to defend Lawrence, Steelb would be laughing to death.
I am laughing to death because you who has made extended post after post in the past loaded with stats just like these and quoting any site that would support your argument are now saying that the stats don’t tell the whole story and we can’t trust them.

And you call me biased and using a double standard?

:uprights:

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The problem with this "argument" is that neither QB Lawrence nor Mills played well enough consistently win in the NFL. This is more a problem for Jacksonville since Trevor Lawrence was considered a generational talent versus Mills as a slightly questionable 3rd round selection.

And long-term I am betting on Lawrence to be clearly better, but he wasn't on Sunday.
I agree and I’ve never said Mills is or will better than Lawrence long term, though I think the Clemson machine made Lawrence look better than he is, but I don’t understand why people like @76Texan refuse to admit that using the same numbers and stats that QBs have been judged by for decades Mills is currently better.

Of course there are other factors and other players made a QB look worse or better but that’s nothing new and hasn’t been factored in before so why are we trying to do that now?

The fact also is no QB selected at number 1 overall is going to good team so yeah Lawrence is going to be in a bad situation team wise because a playoff team isn’t jumping up to number 1 to draft him. That’s part of what being the number 1 overall pick is about you are suppose to be a game changer to at least some extent and Lawrence hasn’t been that. Right now just looking at stats and overall performance Mills was a far better draft pick 67 than Lawrence was at 1 and that’s just a fact.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Right now just looking at stats and overall performance Mills was a far better draft pick 67 than Lawrence was at 1 and that’s just a fact.
Because we've won 3 games instead of 2?

Trevor will be the Jags starting QB. At the very least Mills is going to be in a "competition."

Trevor can play exactly like he did this season & he will be their starting QB in 2023. Mills won't.

I don't know who will have the better career, but I bet the odds are in Trevor's favor.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I am sighing to death because you who has made extended post after post in the past loaded with stats just like these and quoting any site that would support your argument are now saying that the stats don’t tell the whole story and we can’t trust them.

And you call me biased and using a double standard?

:uprights:
I was talking about steelb, not you.

• Haha
Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree and I’ve never said Mills is or will better than Lawrence long term, though I think the Clemson machine made Lawrence look better than he is, but I don’t understand why people like @76Texan refuse to admit that using the same numbers and stats that QBs have been judged by for decades Mills is currently better.

Of course there are other factors and other players made a QB look worse or better but that’s nothing new and hasn’t been factored in before so why are we trying to do that now?

The fact also is no QB selected at number 1 overall is going to good team so yeah Lawrence is going to be in a bad situation team wise because a playoff team isn’t jumping up to number 1 to draft him. That’s part of what being the number 1 overall pick is about you are suppose to be a game changer to at least some extent and Lawrence hasn’t been that. Right now just looking at stats and overall performance Mills was a far better draft pick 67 than Lawrence was at 1 and that’s just a fact.
Certainly worth not only a 3rd rd pick

But Mills is worth an extended look in 2022. IMHO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Trevor will be the Jags starting QB. At the very least Mills is going to be in a "competition."

Trevor can play exactly like he did this season & he will be their starting QB in 2023. Mills won't.

I don't know who will have the better career, but I bet the odds are in Trevor's favor.
We will see how all of this turns out.

The elephant in the room is some posters want Mills to have the same playing style as Derrick. Or want Derrick back playing QB next season. Thankfully that ain't happening.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Win-lose in this particular conversation has nothing to do with it. We are talking about purely comparing QB stats. That said of course given a choice between great stats or wins I’ll take wins but since that isn’t an option I’m just sticking to the comparison.

You are right that Lawrence will be the Jags starting QB at least for a couple of years regardless of how good or bad he plays because frankly they don’t have a choice.

I would agree he odds are in Lawrence's favor but honestly I would take that bet regardless of the odds. Lawrence is on a team that has shown they can’t pull it together and he’s going to be there for the prime of his career. In addition all the pressure is on him and, fairly or not, anything less than leading the Jags out of the wilderness will be seen as failure.

Mills is on the Texans and as much as we throw tomatoes at them, rightfully so, they have shown that they can on occasion make something happen, at least better that the drags can. Also right now Mills is over performing, on almost any other team they would never dream of having a 3rd round QB as the starter in his rookie year but due to the situation with Watson and TT being made of glass he is exactly that. So in reality any success he has is more than he realistically should have. That means there is a lot less pressure on him.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You disregard the 19 more yards gained on the ground by Lawrence, including at least two - maybe 3 for first downs.
On the one hand, he claimed that Mills doesn't have much to work with, but then he disregard the facts that the RBs get the Texans more first down than the Jags RBs did; that the Texans receivers were making play for Mills while the Jags dropped five passes; that the Texans Oline did a much better job in pass protection than the Jags did.

If I was to bring up stats like you did to defend Lawrence, Steelb would be laughing to death.
@steelbtexan
This is the post where I said you were the one who used fuzzy math to say that Mills had a better game than Lawrence.

You claimed that Mills didn't have much to work with, but the facts were that Mills were better protected in this game; his receivers made plays while the Jags' receivers were dropping a bunch of passes.
The RBs were outgained by a mere couple of yards, but they made it count when it mattered most (converting on third downs). And when they didn't, the Texans were bailed out by either a penalty or a receiver like Cooks, who took it to the house on third and 9 on a receiver screen.

You used "stats" when it's most convenient while disregarding your own advice of "watching the game".

If you did, you would know that Mills should have had at least another INT when Cook pushed the DB from the back without getting called.

Like I told Dejaview, wake me up when Mills takes the Texans to the AFCG.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I'm not biased at all when it comes to Mills.

I'm wanting to see what he can do with an improved OL. Maybe he's the future, maybe he's not. Right now under difficult situations for both Mills is outperforming Lawrence

BTW, What's not true about Maverick's post?
Mills did not outplayed Lawrence.
His supporting cast did, by many miles.

From the Oline to the receivers and even the RBs when it mattered most.

The D outplayed the Jags D with pressures and tight coverage.
(I heard Wallow and Thomas were doing well.)

And the ST outplayed their Jags counterpart by several miles.

Did you watch the game?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

SteelB must really be in your head bad!!! You're actually rewriting how a game was played to argue with Maverick and blaming it on SteelB! :spit: hahahahaha

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If for no other reason than to not waste a draft pick on a QB in this draft and concentrate on linemen (O or D) and perhaps a safety and CB. And maybe a RB or a LB. Can we draft a new owner?
Whatever we think makes the least sense, bet money that's what the Texans will do. So the "better" Mills does, the more likely the Texans will go all in on a QB.