Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2022 dead money

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
What part of, "Jags know how to tank much better than Texans", did you not understand?
So you do believe they are tanking then right? So one year after drafting the "generational talent" that people have been talking about for at least 3 years, hiring the coach that many said was going to be one of the best college to NFL coaches ever they are still tanking. All this while said coach is dealing with a major scandal, is, base on recent reports, abusive to his staff, claiming a player who played zero snaps is "playing a little bit more" and getting into fights with his players. Meanwhile the owner is having to field even more questions than Caserio about whether that same coach should be fired, which more and more say he should be. Oh speaking of that generational talent his current stats look like this

CMP% - 58.2
YDS - 2735
TD - 9
INT - 14
Rating - 68.9

The other QB drafted that is making news, Mac Jones, has stats that look like this:

CMP% - 70.3
YDS - 2869
TD - 16
INT - 8
Rating - 97.0

And because this is the Texans forum our little 3rd round QB has these stats:

CMP% - 65.8
YDS - 1737
TD - 8
INT - 8
Rating - 81.8

So yeah you're right the Jags do know how to tank better, they are tanking so well they actually look like a really bad team with a bad coach and, unlike the Texans, the front office didn't have to trade away or cut players or hire a coach no one had ever heard of to get them that bad they were already there at the start of the season. Truly a master class in how to properly tank, indeed at this rate they can compete for the number 1 pick for years to come and we will all sit back in awe of how well they tank.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So you do believe they are tanking then right? So one year after drafting the "generational talent" that people have been talking about for at least 3 years, hiring the coach that many said was going to be one of the best college to NFL coaches ever they are still tanking. All this while said coach is dealing with a major scandal, is, base on recent reports, abusive to his staff, claiming a player who played zero snaps is "playing a little bit more" and getting into fights with his players. Meanwhile the owner is having to field even more questions than Caserio about whether that same coach should be fired, which more and more say he should be. Oh speaking of that generational talent his current stats look like this

CMP% - 58.2
YDS - 2735
TD - 9
INT - 14
Rating - 68.9

The other QB drafted that is making news, Mac Jones, has stats that look like this:

CMP% - 70.3
YDS - 2869
TD - 16
INT - 8
Rating - 97.0

CMP% - 65.8
YDS - 1737
TD - 8
INT - 8
Rating - 81.8

So yeah you're right the Jags do know how to tank better, they are tanking so well they actually look like a really bad team with a bad coach and, unlike the Texans, the front office didn't have to trade away or cut players or hire a coach no one had ever heard of to get them that bad they were already there at the start of the season. Truly a master class in how to properly tank, indeed at this rate they can compete for the number 1 pick for years to come and we will all sit back in awe of how well they tank.
The Texans are going to beat the Jags on Sunday. Why? They're the better team and will get better QB play.

Texian

Hall of Fame

CMP% - 58.2
YDS - 2735
TD - 9
INT - 14
Rating - 68.9

CMP% - 70.3
YDS - 2869
TD - 16
INT - 8
Rating - 97.0

CMP% - 65.8
YDS - 1737
TD - 8
INT - 8
Rating - 81.8

Much like the Dallas Cowboys in 1989, hired Jimmy Johnson, drafted Troy Aikman, went 1 - 15.

And much like the 1998 Colts, hired Jim Mora, drafted Peyton Manning, went 3 - 13.

Another member of Kool Aid Brigade getting to spend some time in the brig. 2 unforced errors.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
The Texans are going to beat the Jags on Sunday. Why? They're the better team and will get better QB play.
and yet the Jags still WIN by getting the better draft pick, a difference maker on defense that will wreak havoc in the Texan's backfield for years to come while dropping a division opponent down in the draft. So, yes, you and file clerk got that going for you.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
and yet the Jags still WIN by get the better draft pick, a difference maker on defense that will wreak havoc in the Texan's backfield for years to come while dropping a division opponent down in the draft. So, yes, you and file clerk got that going for you.
The Texans will still finish in the top 4. There's not much difference in the top 4 players in this draft.

Hutchinson/Thibodeaux/Stingley and Neal are my top 4. Who are your top 4-5.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Jags suck more than Texans.

That’s a good thing last time I checked.

Are there posters that will seriously find anything wrong with the Texans even when they win?

All I know is if you have a college coach who is a “proven winner” and a “generational talent” at QB and you still in the running for 1st in last place then you are doing something wrong.

Edit - there not their. SMH.
When they've had really good teams in the past and have won games convincingly, very few fans complain. When they've had really good teams and have struggled to win against bad teams, more fans will complain. On the other side of this coin, the Texans hung with the Patriots earlier this year, lost, and more fans than not gave them credit for playing well that day. Every fan base (that I have run across) is like this.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
and yet the Jags still WIN by getting the better draft pick, a difference maker on defense that will wreak havoc in the Texan's backfield for years to come while dropping a division opponent down in the draft. So, yes, you and file clerk got that going for you.
DejaV... seems like I remember hearing this before.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Much like the Dallas Cowboys in 1989, hired Jimmy Johnson, drafted Troy Aikman, went 1 - 15.

And much like the 1998 Colts, hired Jim Mora, drafted Peyton Manning, went 3 - 13.

Another member of Kool Aid Brigade getting to spend some time in the brig. 2 unforced errors.
The fact you compare Urban Meyer to Jimmy Johnson and Jim E. Mora is laughable in and of itself. Mora was a proven NFL coach before he got to Indy and Johnson landed the biggest trade in NFL history. Also neither of them got involved in a sex scandal before they even won a game so yeah there's that. Must be nice to live in your world, for you this is completely a no lose scenario. If the Jags lose then you can talk about how brilliant they are at tanking and how this is all part of the master plan and if they win then you can talk about how its all turning around and how the Texans still suck more than the Jags. Meanwhile you call the rest of us kool aid brigade, hate to break it to you captain but you're just as much a kool aid drinker just your kool aid of choice is teal not blue.

On the plus side I'm very amused right now. :gotexans1

76Texan

Hall of Fame
It’s not getting close, it’s not even in view of close. We had two, three is you count this tank one, what could be considered bad seasons. Yeah we sucked in the playoffs last 6 years but at least we made them. Believe me even making the playoffs what be a major improvement for lions or jags or jets so stop acting like we have had near the bad history they have.

We were bad last year because the chickens came home to roost, we fired the HC and the fill in was just collecting a paycheck. Name me any team that fires a HC in season and goes on to have a good season. Then the whole thing with Watson comes out and we are really in uncharted waters for how to deal with that.

So yeah it sucks right now and who knows it may continue to suck and Caserio may make a bad situation worse, but we are still not as bad off as some other teams. We have a couple of bad years and some people are ready to write the team off while fans of the Lions, Browns, Jets and Bengals to name a few go decades with no hope in sight.
I was only talking about the last decade moving forward and the number of high first round picks.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I was only talking about the last decade moving forward and the number of high first round picks.
You might be right, personally I'm willing to give them this draft, due to having nothing to work with in the last one, and the next draft before I'm expecting to see real results. After that is we are still drafting top 10-15, assuming there is not a catastrophic injury, then my trust in their ability to turn it around will be gone. That time table might shorten depending on what happens with Watson. All teams go through slumps but the line between slump and tradition of failure is actually very thin.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
You might be right, personally I'm willing to give them this draft, due to having nothing to work with in the last one, and the next draft before I'm expecting to see real results. After that is we are still drafting top 10-15, assuming there is not a catastrophic injury, then my trust in their ability to turn it around will be gone. That time table might shorten depending on what happens with Watson. All teams go through slumps but the line between slump and tradition of failure is actually very thin.
We are going to be drafting in the 10-15 slot in 2023 in my opinion.

The Chargers and Patriots won 7 games last year and were drafting 13 and 15.

I don’t see anything the Texans can do in this years draft that will move the needle to win more than 6-7 games. That would be an immense improvement of where we are now.

Mills would have to take a big leap. No room for error in drafting. There would have to be contributors in free agency. I don’t see the trifecta happening.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I would much rather have Hamilton/Neal/Stingley or Lloyd
is Lloyd the CB?
What this team desperately needs is a #1 CB, the deep ball is always available.
Greenard seems to be developing into a solid pass rusher, need the front 7 to stop the run, and the back end to be able to cover, before we expect to get hands on the QB with a pass rusher, imho.
I like the idea that there’d be quality interior OL available in the 2nd/3rd.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
is Lloyd the CB?
What this team desperately needs is a #1 CB, the deep ball is always available.
Greenard seems to be developing into a solid pass rusher, need the front 7 to stop the run, and the back end to be able to cover, before we expect to get hands on the QB with a pass rusher, imho.
I like the idea that there’d be quality interior OL available in the 2nd/3rd.
Lloyd is the #1 LB which I think is as big a need as CB. He would replace Kirksey. TE's and RB's killing the Texans. I believe Lloyd could be the Texans Micah Parsons/Devin White

Texian

Hall of Fame
The fact you compare Urban Meyer to Jimmy Johnson and Jim E. Mora is laughable in and of itself. Mora was a proven NFL coach before he got to Indy and Johnson landed the biggest trade in NFL history. Also neither of them got involved in a sex scandal before they even won a game so yeah there's that. Must be nice to live in your world, for you this is completely a no lose scenario. If the Jags lose then you can talk about how brilliant they are at tanking and how this is all part of the master plan and if they win then you can talk about how its all turning around and how the Texans still suck more than the Jags. Meanwhile you call the rest of us kool aid brigade, hate to break it to you captain but you're just as much a kool aid drinker just your kool aid of choice is teal not blue.

On the plus side I'm very amused right now. :gotexans1
The fact that I can occupy rent free, 40% of the space in the minds of the trolls in the Kool Aid Brigade is nothing short of amazing. Troll On!

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Can't help but point out that this did not age well. :koolaid:

Or actually maybe this is the next step in the Jags grand tanking plan, make everyone think they are hiring a long term coach but in reality they are planning to just fire him halfway through and therefore they have another excuse for tanking this season, maybe even next season as well. Then once they have finished tanking and the entire roster is nothing but 1st round picks then they will rehire Urban Meyer and reveal that it was him all along like in a Scooby Doo cartoon. Truly they are playing 4D Tanking Chess.

Ok I'm done now but this was to good to pass up. :stirpot:

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Or actually maybe this is the next step in the Jags grand tanking plan, make everyone think they are hiring a long term coach but in reality they are planning to just fire him halfway through and therefore they have another excuse for tanking this season, maybe even next season as well. Then once they have finished tanking and the entire roster is nothing but 1st round picks then they will rehire Urban Meyer and reveal that it was him all along like in a Scooby Doo cartoon. Truly they are playing 4D Tanking Chess.

I'm just wondering why the Jags didn't play (or hardly play) their other draft picks - besides the rookie RB that was injured and missed the whole season.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

The jags say there's levels to this tanking ^%$#....& they're on the Jedi-level.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
See I called this but didn't brag about my gambling prowess like 76. I dont gamble on the NFL because you know what they say about a fool and his money. Betting on the NFL is definitely a fools errand.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
See I called this but didn't brag about my gambling prowess like 76. I dont gamble on the NFL because you know what they say about a fool and his money. Betting on the NFL is definitely a fools errand.
The Jags lost because their receivers and DBs have brick hands and their ST sucks while Fairbarn and the Texans returner shined, so yeah they had the lesser team.
Mills had some luck; he didn't play like Luck.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
That’s a long winded way of congratulating Steel on his correct prediction…
Hmm no.
He claimed that Mills was a better QB than Lawrence on that day, but that wasn't the case.
The Jags dropped 5 passes from Lawrence.
The Texans were able to put more pressure on him (3 sacks and a number of hurries and QB hits).
Mills had a short pass to Cooks, who turned it into a long TD - if the Jags limited his YAC, Mills wouldn't have had that TD and would be outgained by Lawrence by more than a yard as it was.
The Jags also dropped at least one would-have-been Int.
Not to mention the penalties that benefited the Texans offense more than the Jags.
In another word, Mills was much more lucky than Lawrence, not the better QB.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Hmm no.
He claimed that Mills was a better QB than Lawrence on that day, but that wasn't the case.
The Jags dropped 5 passes from Lawrence.
The Texans were able to put more pressure on him (3 sacks and a number of hurries and QB hits).
Mills had a short pass to Cooks, who turned it into a long TD - if the Jags limited his YAC, Mills wouldn't have had that TD and would be outgained by Lawrence by more than a yard as it was.
The Jags also dropped at least one would-have-been Int.
Not to mention the penalties that benefited the Texans offense more than the Jags.
In another word, Mills was much more lucky than Lawrence, not the better QB.
Numbers say Mills was the better QB that day and yes all this season. You can say its because of how bad the team is around Lawrence but if you are going to use that argument here then pretty much you also have to say that all numbers of every player are invalid because there are other factors for everyone of them. Until we have teams that are made up of nothing but clones of the same 53 players then there will always be players who's stats are hurt or helped by their team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Numbers say Mills has been the better QB this season. You can say its because of how bad the team is around Lawrence but if you are going to use that argument here then pretty much you also have to say that all numbers of every player are invalid because there are other factors for everyone of them. Until we have teams that are made up of nothing but clones of the same 53 players then there will always be players who's stats are hurt or helped by their team.
This is just another case of 76 moving the goalposts.

Anybody who actually watched the game could see that while not great Mils had a better game than Lawrence. Just look at anybody but 76's analysis and they will tell you the same thing.

But hey, what can you tell a man who's never wrong?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
No.

He claimed the Texans were the better team & our QB will play better.
But Mills did not play better.
Lawrence outgained him by one yard in the air and 19 yards on the ground.

The Texans defense played much better than their counterpart.
The Texans Special Teams outplayed their counterpart.
Besides allowing the return for a TD, the Jags also committed a roughing the punter on the first drive that allowed the Texans to score that TD.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
This is just another case of 76 moving the goalposts.

Anybody who actually watched the game could see that while not great Mils had a better game than Lawrence. Just look at anybody but 76's analysis and they will tell you the same thing.

But hey, what can you tell a man who's never wrong?
Take your blinder of if you want to be taken seriously.
Like BriscoCounty; at least he admitted that Mills couldn't put more than 2 to 2-1/2 quarters of consistent play together.

You, on the other hand, were the one that moved the goal post.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Numbers say Mills was the better QB that day and yes all this season. You can say its because of how bad the team is around Lawrence but if you are going to use that argument here then pretty much you also have to say that all numbers of every player are invalid because there are other factors for everyone of them. Until we have teams that are made up of nothing but clones of the same 53 players then there will always be players who's stats are hurt or helped by their team.
See my other two posts.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We’ve got different ideas of better. It’s kinda like throwing a 2 yard out when you need 16 yards for a 1st down.

he completed a pass, but it didn’t help.

same thing here. We can talk about almost interceptions or impressive back shoulder throws, but did they win the game?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
We’ve got different ideas of better. It’s kinda like throwing a 2 yard out when you need 16 yards for a 1st down.

he completed a pass, but it didn’t help.

same thing here. We can talk about almost interceptions or impressive back shoulder throws, but did they win the game?
You mistake better team play with an individual's play.

Tell me honestly, if the two QBs switched team, who do you think would have won the game?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Tell me honestly, if the two QBs switched team, who do you think would have won the game?
I’ve been saying all day Trevor is the better QB. If the Jags had Mills out there trying to win the game & the Texans had Trevor trying not to lose the game, Texans win.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I’ve been saying all day Trevor is the better QB. If the Jags had Mills out there trying to win the game & the Texans had Trevor trying not to lose the game, Texans win.
I'm reading the other threads at the moment.
I know a lot of time you just like to play the devil advocate and/or playing both sides of the fence just for the sake of the conversation/argument.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Lawrence outgained him by one yard in the air and 19 yards on the ground.

The Texans defense played much better than their counterpart.
The Texans Special Teams outplayed their counterpart.
Besides allowing the return for a TD, the Jags also committed a roughing the punter on the first drive that allowed the Texans to score that TD.
See my other two posts.
You're wrong, there is no spin here if we go by numbers you are just flat out wrong.

Mills had a CMP% of 63.3 vs Lawrence 57.9

Mills had 2 TD passes vs Lawrence 0

You are correct Lawrence had 1 more yard than him.

The only thing Lawrence really won is the QBR which is some weird, voodoo math formula that ESPN made up and no one really knows what affects it or how accurate it is since ESPN won't reveal what data it uses to calculate the number.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
The problem with this "argument" is that neither QB Lawrence nor Mills played well enough consistently win in the NFL. This is more a problem for Jacksonville since Trevor Lawrence was considered a generational talent versus Mills as a slightly questionable 3rd round selection.

And long-term I am betting on Lawrence to be clearly better, but he wasn't on Sunday.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You're wrong, there is no spin here if we go by numbers you are just flat out wrong.

Mills had a CMP% of 63.3 vs Lawrence 57.9

Mills had 2 TD passes vs Lawrence 0

You are correct Lawrence had 1 more yard than him.

The only thing Lawrence really won is the QBR which is some weird, voodoo math formula that ESPN made up and no one really knows what affects it or how accurate it is since ESPN won't reveal what data it uses to calculate the number.
You disregard the 19 more yards gained on the ground by Lawrence, including at least two - maybe 3 for first downs.
The TD by Cooks was his and not due to a great throw by Mills.
So what if the Jags get down to the 1 and decided to call a run?
Besides, Steelb doesn't believe in stats.
On the one hand, he claimed that Mills doesn't have much to work with, but then he disregard the facts that the RBs get the Texans more first down than the Jags RBs did; that the Texans receivers were making play for Mills while the Jags dropped five passes; that the Texans Oline did a much better job in pass protection than the Jags did.
It's called double standard; I'm sure you're aware of it.

Honestly, you're just being biased.
If I was to bring up stats like you did to defend Lawrence, Steelb would be laughing to death.