Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2021 Texans disarray or chugging along?

I keep thinking this was the offseason to fire Bill and trade Watson. Covid impacting season would be used to partially ameliorate negative feelings. If season went 7-9 or 9-7 Cal could call it a positive and look forward to building team with picks from Dashaun. It could also open a movement to increase cap space. I am very hopeful that we get OG Warford and that could make all of this go away, #4 behind that line (unless he has plateaued) could get us to SB. Even if leveling off, his stats including points scored by Offense could be enough.

I keep thinking this was the offseason to fire Bill and trade Watson. Covid impacting season would be used to partially ameliorate negative feelings. If season went 7-9 or 9-7 Cal could call it a positive and look forward to building team with picks from Dashaun. It could also open a movement to increase cap space. I am very hopeful that we get OG Warford and that could make all of this go away, #4 behind that line (unless he has plateaued) could get us to SB. Even if leveling off, his stats including points scored by Offense could be enough.
Instead O’Brien was given a promotion and Watson’s 5th year was picked up. If I’ve learned anything about the McNair’s it’s that they value stability.

If so do you extend Watson and if yes, why?

Yes, because Watson has a much higher ceiling than OB. Once that clown is gone, there's a greater chance Watson reaches that ceiling and takes this team to new heights. If OB is not gone anytime soon, then I really don't care what they do with Watson or anyone else for that matter, because it will be obvious ownership doesn't care either.

Instead O’Brien was given a promotion and Watson’s 5th year was picked up. If I’ve learned anything about the McNair’s it’s that they value stability.
I do not call it stability I call it not wanting negative PR. I think they were very upset at the way Gaines handled the Clowney situation. Notice that Gaines is gone. Bill's promotion IMO was allowing him more rope either to swing like Tarzan or hang himself. I think the Hopkins trade blow back made them grit their teeth. I think Coach told them fans would come around when it became public knowledge Nuk wanted new contract and the $ would go to Watson & Tunsil. Well fans have not come around. Tunsil's deal was better than I thought as some pushed into this year. Wish I knew who actually came up with that deal. Picking up Deshaun's 5th year option was another great move and hopefully he will not have any further negotiation until after 2020. Watson and OBrien's future in Houston should depend on this season. Too bad as it should have been on last year.

Yes, because Watson has a much higher ceiling than OB. Once that clown is gone, there's a greater chance Watson reaches that ceiling and takes this team to new heights. If OB is not gone anytime soon, then I really don't care what they do with Watson or anyone else for that matter, because it will be obvious ownership doesn't care either.
Your plan fire HC extend Watson and then? Does this roster get you to SB? If Watson exceeds 2019 stats can Kelly plan him into a top 5 QB? 9 losses do you dump Weaver? Does what we think we know about McNairs indicate willingness to gamble after a 9 loss year that another available HC/OC/QB coach can coach #4 to next level? I am not saying yes or no but Dashaun has had more than one coach. Are all of them worthless? If and I know it isn't would you gamble close to $40 million per year of your money? Another way to look at it in more personal view is would you give 25% of your income?

Last edited:
After years of QB suckage, why wouldn't Cal be excited about Watson? The dude has put millions of dollars in his pockets since he was drafted. Just curious why you think he's not is all.
This is where the boo birds come out and Grand Canyon separates the sides. Any QB with #4 skills would put millions in Cal's pocket so Cal should be focused not on same millions he got from Watson but can Watson bring him more millions. There's nothing to show me he is not wanting more Ws and more accolades for his team. His focus should be on that as should fans. That's why I mentioned I don't think McNairs are as excited as some here about him. I think that McNair's are not happy with O'Brien but I also think they are not happy with number four.

Last edited:
Your plan fire HC extend Watson and then? Does this roster get you to SB? If Watson exceeds 2019 stats can Kelly plan him into a top 5 QB? 9 losses do you dump Weaver? Does what we think we know about McNairs indicate willingness to gamble after a 9 loss year that another available HC/OC/QB coach can coach #4 to next level? I am not saying yes or no but Dashaun has had more than one coach. Are all of them worthless? If and I know it isn't would you gamble close to $40 million per year of your money? Another way to look at it so am I more personal view is would you give 25% of your income?

The McNair's can't see the crap this organization is in now, so I have no clue what they're thinking.

I just know this coach will never allow DW4 to realize his full potential. Sure, things could get worse with a new regime, but **** man, you can't live life in fear. A new regime could also bring you a Lombardi or 2. This regime will not.

And who is the more than one coach that 4 has had? You talking QB coaches? QB coaches don't design the offense. This is OB's design, the concepts, the verbiage, the route trees, all of that is OB. Unless Kelly is allowed to put in his own philosophies, provided it's any different than OB's, which I doubt or he'd likely be gone, I don't see how him even calling the plays will make it any different.

So, if OB sticks, I really don't care what they do with Watson, because the only difference it makes is that Watson wins just enough with his athleticism to keep OB around anyway. If OB sticks and they don't pay Watson, we're back to the Fitz, Hoyer, Mallet, Brock, Savage merry-go-round. And I think we can all agree how fun merry-go-rounds are.

The McNair's can't see the crap this organization is in now, so I have no clue what they're thinking.

I just know this coach will never allow DW4 to realize his full potential. Sure, things could get worse with a new regime, but **** man, you can't live life in fear. A new regime could also bring you a Lombardi or 2. This regime will not.

And who is the more than one coach that 4 has had? You talking QB coaches? QB coaches don't design the offense. This is OB's design, the concepts, the verbiage, the route trees, all of that is OB. Unless Kelly is allowed to put in his own philosophies, provided it's any different than OB's, which I doubt or he'd likely be gone, I don't see how him even calling the plays will make it any different.

So, if OB sticks, I really don't care what they do with Watson, because the only difference it makes is that Watson wins just enough with his athleticism to keep OB around anyway. If OB sticks and they don't pay Watson, we're back to the Fitz, Hoyer, Mallet, Brock, Savage merry-go-round. And I think we can all agree how fun merry-go-rounds are.
Your first sentence is pure speculation. I can argue they do see and why they have not paid Watson what he thinks he's worth. Why? They overpaid Martin and Mercilus and David Johnson by taking him and the safety and way over paid Tunsil and, and so why haven't they over paid Watson? There has been zero info that they are paying anything extra for GM. Perhaps they see O'Brien crap and are giving him the rope in mention in post above? There is zero reason to "not allow" Watson to reach full potential. Zero. I am willing to critique all and you seem willing to overlook some depending on the person. This is sliding into the other threads where I'm determined not to go into here.

Your first sentence is pure speculation. I can argue they do see and why they have not paid Watson what he thinks he's worth. Why? They overpaid Martin and Mercilus and David Johnson by taking him and the safety and way over paid Tunsil and, and so why haven't they over paid Watson? There has been zero info that they are paying anything extra for GM. Perhaps they see O'Brien crap and are giving him the rope in mention in post above?

Why hasn't KC paid Mahomes? Just because they haven't been paid yet doesn't mean they aren't going to be, or that there's thoughts that they won't.

And you're right, they payed Mercilus, and Martin and Tunsil, took on a ridiculous salary for DJ, took on $47M for Cooks, all while deciding not to pay Hopkins. How do you make sense of that? So I haven't a clue what this organization is thinking or what direction they're trying to go. There just seems to be no logic in anything they do right now.

And if you're going to pay Tunsil for the protection he provides for your QB, it would be kind of dumb to get rid of that QB.

There is zero reason to "not allow" Watson to reach full potential. Zero. I am willing to critique all and you seem willing to overlook some depending on the person. This is sliding into the other threads where I'm determined not to go into here.

What?? I don't even know what any of that means. Watson isn't going to reach his full potential because OB isn't capable of getting full potential out of his players. I don't know what else it is you're looking for there.

As I've mentioned in other threads, Watson, despite having this cement block of an offense chained to his legs, is still able to put up numbers similar to those of very successful NFL QBs in the same time frame. The potential is there. I don't want to get into all of that again, but my belief, based on what I've seen him do to this point, is that if he were to ever be freed of that cement block weighing him down, the sky is the limit for this dude, IMO. Whether the McNair's see that, I wouldn't know.

Your first sentence is pure speculation. I can argue they do see and why they have not paid Watson what he thinks he's worth. Why? They overpaid Martin and Mercilus and David Johnson by taking him and the safety and way over paid Tunsil and, and so why haven't they over paid Watson? There has been zero info that they are paying anything extra for GM. Perhaps they see O'Brien crap and are giving him the rope in mention in post above? There is zero reason to "not allow" Watson to reach full potential. Zero. I am willing to critique all and you seem willing to overlook some depending on the person. This is sliding into the other threads where I'm determined not to go into here.
Please define “speculation”. IMO, I think it’s speculation when someone writes “I think (fill in the blank) feels, or is thinking this (fill in the blank).”

Speculation is a big part of our discussions on this board. None of us know what Watson feels he’s worth or what Cal McNair thinks about Watson. Watson is still here, though. So is O’Brien. Those two things are facts. And I’ve not seen or heard anything, rumor or otherwise that the McNair’s are unhappy with either of them except from a member or two of this forum.

OCs and QB coaches do impact offense teaching patience, check downs, recognizing defenses, release times, throwing ball away, etc. You may be correct saying offense will continue to be run by OBrien. We have to see.

Admittedly, I’m now an outsider. I moved from Texas over 5 years ago so don’t follow the local vibe there anymore. That said, how can you hate Watson? He’s the only positive thing the Texans have IMO.

The dude gets it. I loved how he was sporting the Moon jersey and trying to embrace the culture of the Houston fans (which the McNairs clearly never have done).

I wasn’t big on him coming out of college but I was wrong. It just sucks that he’s stuck with that blow hard jack ass coach wanna be GM.

I was going to add a bunch more here but have had a couple of beverages so I’ll stop there. :)

I've grown indifferent to the product. However, indifference does seem to have objectivity as a positive by-product. Removed from the burden of logo-defending and koolaide drinking, it's interesting to step back as an NFL fan and analyze an organization as it compares to other franchises and league history.

I find it ironic that Watson would wear a Moon jersey considering that many in this city never appreciated that HoF QB during his prime, either. History does seem to repeat itself, though, as Moon took more than his share of the blame for the dysfunctions and failures of that organization, too.

Of course, now we've got the Houston Texans, Inc. cyber pep squad and the King Billy loyal Tories doing their very best to pre-scapegoat Watson, never quite appreciating (or at least admitting) that he's one player on a squad of 53 in an offensive system he neither chose nor designed, and has been the saving grace of this franchise to the tune of winning seasons and much celebrated division "championships" that would most likely have been lost causes and losing seasons without his on-field heroics.

Even the mighty JJ Watt could not prevent a 2-14 season. With a badass QB, a team always has a chance to pull out a W. (But maybe not so much in the playoffs when the QB can't play defense, too. . .some lessons from Moon's time here seems to echo the past. . .)

I do not think that Cal McNair is as excited about Watson As You Are. That of course it's just an opinion

Please elaborate. There has been absolutely nothing said publicly from Cal McNair to suggest such a thing. Of course, the absence of evidence that he's excited at all about Watson could be the void that is being filled with such speculative opinions.

I get it, speculation/opinion, yada yada yada, I'm just looking for more concrete evidence of Cal's perspective on anything beyond the corporate double-speak he occasionally regurgitates.

From what we can tell - i.e. actions speak louder than words - he's basically abdicated his responsibilities to run this franchise and handed the reigns to Bill O'Brien.

Sometimes he'll pop out from behind mommy McNairs skirt, but that's just to babble some nonsense and go do whatever silver-spoon coattail-riding rich dudes do at the country clubs.

That, of course, is just an opinion, too. :cowboy1:

I've grown indifferent to the product. However, indifference does seem to have objectivity as a positive by-product. Removed from the burden of logo-defending and koolaide drinking, it's interesting to step back as an NFL fan and analyze an organization as it compares to other franchises and league history.

I find it ironic that Watson would wear a Moon jersey considering that many in this city never appreciated that HoF QB during his prime, either. History does seem to repeat itself, though, as Moon took more than his share of the blame for the dysfunctions and failures of that organization, too.

Of course, now we've got the Houston Texans, Inc. cyber pep squad and the King Billy loyal Tories doing their very best to pre-scapegoat Watson, never quite appreciating (or at least admitting) that he's one player on a squad of 53 in an offensive system he neither chose nor designed, and has been the saving grace of this franchise to the tune of winning seasons and much celebrated division "championships" that would most likely have been lost causes and losing seasons without his on-field heroics.

Even the mighty JJ Watt could not prevent a 2-14 season. With a badass QB, a team always has a chance to pull out a W. (But maybe not so much in the playoffs when the QB can't play defense, too. . .some lessons from Moon's time here seems to echo the past. . .)

Please elaborate. There has been absolutely nothing said publicly from Cal McNair to suggest such a thing. Of course, the absence of evidence that he's excited at all about Watson could be the void that is being filled with such speculative opinions.

I get it, speculation/opinion, yada yada yada, I'm just looking for more concrete evidence of Cal's perspective on anything beyond the corporate double-speak he occasionally regurgitates.

From what we can tell - i.e. actions speak louder than words - he's basically abdicated his responsibilities to run this franchise and handed the reigns to Bill O'Brien.

Sometimes he'll pop out from behind mommy McNairs skirt, but that's just to babble some nonsense and go do whatever silver-spoon coattail-riding rich dudes do at the country clubs.

That, of course, is just an opinion, too. :cowboy1:

Agreed,

But I feel the same way about DW4 that I felt about Moon and Pastorini for that matter.

Please define “speculation”. IMO, I think it’s speculation when someone writes “I think (fill in the blank) feels, or is thinking this (fill in the blank).”

Speculation is a big part of our discussions on this board. None of us know what Watson feels he’s worth or what Cal McNair thinks about Watson. Watson is still here, though. So is O’Brien. Those two things are facts. And I’ve not seen or heard anything, rumor or otherwise that the McNair’s are unhappy with either of them except from a member or two of this forum.
As you say speculation is an opinion or "thinking" and not supported by facts. When Speedy said "McNairs can't see.." that is assuming a fact and why I replied I can take other side as my opinion is just as valid as his thinking. I am not saying to speculate is wrong, as you say we all do it but it should be used as just that not a stated fact. That is why questionable "facts" are often asked for links to support. Comments that are posed as opinions or thoughts including about McNairs are permissible.

I wanted Warford but if healthy Fulton could out perform his new restructure. It seems like more talking heads think we could have solid offensive line.

I wanted Warford but if healthy Fulton could out perform his new restructure. It seems like more talking heads think we could have solid offensive line.
If Fulton is the "weak link" of the 2020 Texans line, then Watson should be upright much more often.

Admittedly, I’m now an outsider. I moved from Texas over 5 years ago so don’t follow the local vibe there anymore. That said, how can you hate Watson? He’s the only positive thing the Texans have IMO.

The dude gets it. I loved how he was sporting the Moon jersey and trying to embrace the culture of the Houston fans (which the McNairs clearly never have done).

I wasn’t big on him coming out of college but I was wrong. It just sucks that he’s stuck with that blow hard jack ass coach wanna be GM.

I was going to add a bunch more here but have had a couple of beverages so I’ll stop there. :)

Because so many Texan fans act like he’s some once in a century talent, when in actuality he’s a decent at best NFL quarterback. It’s not really his fault so many Texan fans are such delusional morons, but nonetheless he gets hate anyways. Comes with the territory.

Nobody is putting Watson on a pedestal like that. And he’s more than decent at best.
One last thing the media heads are really hyped about Watson as well. They speak very highly of him placing him in the top 5.

You need to get out more then. Your very own Sean Pendergast made this comment:

“Watson is the top NFL commodity on the planet”

Whether you want to admit it or not, Watson is not, nor is he capable of being, an elite NFL quarterback. He’s about as good as Dak Prescott.....which is fine. But not elite.

You need to get out more then. Your very own Sean Pendergast made this comment:

“Watson is the top NFL commodity on the planet”

Whether you want to admit it or not, Watson is not, nor is he capable of being, an elite NFL quarterback. He’s about as good as Dak Prescott.....which is fine. But not elite.

That’s your opinion. I can post videos of ex players, ex coaches and others calling him elite. So you might want to to get out more yourself.

Dude he is better than Dak. You don’t see Dak winning big time games like Watson . Watson doesn’t have the luxury of having a elite back and offensive line like Dak. Dallas is not being carried by Dak like the Houston are with Watson.

Come on Karl

Last edited:
That’s your opinion. I can post videos of ex players, ex coaches and others calling him elite. So you might want to to get out more yourself.

Dude he is better than Dak. You don’t see Dak winning big time games like Watson . Watson doesn’t have luxury of having a elite back and offensive line like Dak. Dallas is not being carried by Dak like the Houston is with Watson.

Come on Karl

You said nobody put Watson on a pedestal. I have you a ridiculous example of someone who did. People calling him elite on message and video clips doesn’t change the product he puts on the field: which is far from elite.

Watson had the best receiver in the league to throw to, and an offense that features him, and still could only throw for 26 tds.....lol. Half the qbs in the league could outproduce that if put in his shoes.

Dude he is better than Dak. You don’t see Dak winning big time games like Watson . Watson doesn’t have luxury of having a elite back and offensive line like Dak. Dallas is not being carried by Dak like the Houston is with Watson.

Come on Karl

1590861884408.png

If Fulton is the "weak link" of the 2020 Texans line, then Watson should be upright much more often.
Agreed. Fulton had issue but my understanding that was injuries and rotation at right tackle. A few seasons ago under Kubes IIRC, we had an oline that went two seasons with most starters playing all games. Man, I'd like to see that. I was hopeful R. Johnson would be our future RG but I am not so hopeful now. I want a true eval of #4 with all his starters 100%.

Last edited:
You said nobody put Watson on a pedestal. I have you a ridiculous example of someone who did. People calling him elite on message and video clips doesn’t change the product he puts on the field: which is far from elite.

Watson had the best receiver in the league to throw to, and an offense that features him, and still could only throw for 26 tds.....lol. Half the qbs in the league could outproduce that if put in his shoes.

So, dangle Watson to the Steelers for Rothlisberger straight up. Big Ben comes to the Texans and OB's offensive system while Watson goes tot he Steelers to enjoy their OL, RB's and receivers.....Watson has the bigger season and better QB standing at seasons end.

Hey, at least OB would get the pocket QB of his dreams and some of you could cheer that Watson is now the Steelers problem. Maybe OB would feel compelled to include Fuller in the trade since he'll probably ask for too much when his contract negotiations begin and maybe he doesn't finish the season once again.

So, dangle Watson to the Steelers for Rothlisberger straight up. Big Ben comes to the Texans and OB's offensive system while Watson goes tot he Steelers to enjoy their OL, RB's and receivers.....Watson has the bigger season and better QB standing at seasons end.

Hey, at least OB would get the pocket QB of his dreams and some of you could cheer that Watson is now the Steelers problem. Maybe OB would feel compelled to include Fuller in the trade since he'll probably ask for too much when his contract negotiations begin and maybe he doesn't finish the season once again.

lol.....what color is the sky in your world? if Ben Roethlisberger had Hopkins, Fuller and Stills to throw to, as Watson did last year, he'd come close to doubling Watson's 26 td passes on the season.

So now you’re acting like most typical fans. No true evaluation of why he had only 26 TD’s . Are we not going to factor in the offensive line play? What about the play calling? Dang was Hop even open enough to get him the ball to him? How about giving credit to the defense. So many factors into why.

And what would you rather have, one elite receiver or have a elite running game with one of the best lines in the game?

Last edited:
So now you’re acting like most typical fans. No true evaluation of why he had only 26 TD’s . Are we not going to factoring in the offensive line play? What about the play calling? Dang was Hop even open enough to get him the ball to him? How about giving credit to the defense. So many factors into why.

And what would you rather have, one elite receiver or have a elite running game with one of the best lines in the game?

Oh, so the OL, RB and every WR besides Hopkins were holding Watson back?

So I can expect him to be even worse this year, now that the only weapon he had last year, is now gone.

So he’s elite, but he needs an elite OL, RB and WR to be anything more than above average. Makes sense.

Oh, so the OL, RB and every WR besides Hopkins were holding Watson back?

So I can expect him to be even worse this year, now that the only weapon he had last year, is now gone.

So he’s elite, but he needs an elite OL, RB and WR to be anything more than above average. Makes sense.

Nowhere is my stance says that. You’re reaching because I do not share your type of hate. Yes I said hate because you’re determined I see to be right. All because you don’t believe him to be elite doesn’t mean he’s not. And if it wasn’t for the defense smoking away at least 5 comeback wins. His wins to losses percentage would be even better.
And dude you’re the one that brought up the elite receiver stuff. So let’s not cherry pick.

Last edited:
Drew Brees (27 TDs) the QB who had the receiver with the best receiving stats in the league (Michael Thomas) in 2019 only threw for 1 more touchdown than Watson did.

Actually Watson was in pretty good company with 26 TDs.

QBs who threw for 26 TDs in 2019 Regular Season
Matt Ryan
Aaron Rodgers
Deshaun Watson
Patrick Mahomes
Kirk Cousins

I believe Dallas had the top offense in the league & a top ten (maybe top 5) defense. Couldn’t win 9 games.

I’m not blaming Dak, just saying.

I never blamed Dak for their downfalls. But still they couldn’t win with him putting up really good numbers. And he does have an elite running back, one of top offensive lines in the league. So please don’t say Watson and Dak are on the same level is what I’m saying.

Lol at JB

I never blamed Dak for their downfalls. But still they couldn’t win with him putting up really good numbers. And he does have an elite running back, one of top offensive lines in the league. So please don’t say Watson and Dak are on the same level is what I’m saying.
Well if talent was not the problem could it have been coaching?

Of course Garrett is gone now but the sad thing is he had a better win percentage in the regular season & playoffs in his tenure with the Cowboys than Billy O has had with the Texans.

Garrett: Regular Season 85-67 .559, Post Season 2-3 .400
O'Brien: Regular Season 52-44 .542, Post Season 2-4 .333

lol.....what color is the sky in your world? if Ben Roethlisberger had Hopkins, Fuller and Stills to throw to, as Watson did last year, he'd come close to doubling Watson's 26 td passes on the season.

So you'd jump at the chance to make that trade happen for this season? If this trade happened, I'd still peg Watson to take the Steelers deeper into the playoffs than Rothlisberger would take the Texans during the same period of time.

Drew Brees (27 TDs) the QB who had the receiver with the best receiving stats in the league (Michael Thomas) in 2019 only threw for 1 more touchdown than Watson did.

Actually Watson was in pretty good company with 26 TDs.

QBs who threw for 26 TDs in 2019 Regular Season
Matt Ryan
Aaron Rodgers
Deshaun Watson
Patrick Mahomes
Kirk Cousins
So we aren't including Watson's 7 rushing TDs? For a total of 33 TDs created? Tied for 4th in the league.

Of course, Roethlisberger would have doubled that. Even though Ben has had over 33 total TDs only twice in his 16 year career. BTW, Watson averages 2.2 TDs/game, thus far. Roethlisberger averages 1.7 TDs/game over his career. Which makes Roethlisberger the superior player. I guess.

Back