Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2021 Texans disarray or chugging along?

badboy

Hall of Fame
2020 has us arguing and bickering and choosing sides like never before IMO. Much of the discussion (euphemism) is not only on this season but next. O'Brien's extension goes through 2022 but can see him if here in 2021 in negotiations. There exists three "factions" on MB 1) OB haters 2) Watson Lovers 3) Not sure on either but willing to see how 2020 goes.

This thread is to discuss 2021 if record is as many think 7 wins or less. Scenario is restricted to following whether you agree or not:

#1 O'Brien has '21 & '22 left on extension but has taken significant step back from 2019. None of us know what McNairs opinion will be but I think 90 % they will not be happy. 7-9 looks bad on Watson and all coaching. Six or seven wins, I think O'Brien remains through 2021 as I just don't agree that 2020 is his "prove it" season. Less than 6 Ws he might be removed.

#2 Watson plays 2020 as his 4th season and 2021 fifth season option has been exercised. I just don't see him having another year of 2019 stats which were good and team going seven Ws or less. If he has comparable stats and WRs are relatively healthier than 2019's it would be my position Dashaun has plateaued. Of course there will be arguing but if O'Brien is HC 2021 Watson has to go. It would be better for him and for team.

7-9 gets us about 12ish in draft but..round three. Do we be thankful Texans waited to extend him & saved millions and allow him to play out season five (2021) or trade him for what we can get? Yes I know OB's history but what value would Watson have leaving OB out of it as he could be gone? Watson in 2021 or McCarron if he re-signs? Could AJ prove to be a "game manager" and lead team to 8-8 or better in 2021 allowing us to wait for 2022 and our round one and two back in our hands?Either way do we cherry pick certain guys for roster and trade as many assets as possible to hit draft hard 2021?

My concern is we have a repeat of W/L record, O'Brien and Watson in 2020 and we just chug along.

banned1976

sleeper mode
2020 has us arguing and bickering and choosing sides like never before IMO. Much of the discussion (euphemism) is not only on this season but next. O'Brien's extension goes through 2022 but can see him if here in 2021 in negotiations. There exists three "factions" on MB 1) OB haters 2) Watson Lovers 3) Not sure on either but willing to see how 2020 goes.

This thread is to discuss 2021 if record is as many think 7 wins or less. Scenario is restricted to following whether you agree or not:

#1 O'Brien has '21 & '22 left on extension but has taken significant step back from 2019. None of us know what McNairs opinion will be but I think 90 % they will not be happy. 7-9 looks bad on Watson and all coaching. Six or seven wins, I think O'Brien remains through 2021 as I just don't agree that 2020 is his "prove it" season. Less than 6 Ws he might be removed.

#2 Watson plays 2020 as his 4th season and 2021 fifth season option has been exercised. I just don't see him having another year of 2019 stats which were good and team going seven Ws or less. If he has comparable stats and WRs are relatively healthier than 2019's it would be my position Dashaun has plateaued. Of course there will be arguing but if O'Brien is HC 2021 Watson has to go. It would be better for him and for team.

7-9 gets us about 12ish in draft but..round three. Do we be thankful Texans waited to extend him & saved millions and allow him to play out season five (2021) or trade him for what we can get? Yes I know OB's history but what value would Watson have leaving OB out of it as he could be gone? Watson in 2021 or McCarron if he re-signs? Could AJ prove to be a "game manager" and lead team to 8-8 or better in 2021 allowing us to wait for 2022 and our round one and two back in our hands?Either way do we cherry pick certain guys for roster and trade as many assets as possible to hit draft hard 2021?

My concern is we have a repeat of W/L record, O'Brien and Watson in 2020 and we just chug along.
Let’s not kid ourselves, there are Watson haters in here too. Go back to almost any game day thread from last year.

I remain convinced O’Brien is here as long as he wants to be here and Watson will be playing for a new team sooner rather than later. How soon depends on if we have a full regular season this year or not m. I’m predicting a down year for the Texans and Watson will be the next odd man out in the O’Brien universe. He snaps his fingers and people disappear.

So yeah, the Texans maintain their “almost” status into 2022.

As for predicting what the 2021 record will be, hard to tell. They could be AFC South champs again (only because the rest of the division is going through some rough times themselves) this year and wind up playing another first place schedule in 2021.

Last edited:
There exists three "factions" on MB 1) OB haters 2) Watson Lovers 3) Not sure on either but willing to see how 2020 goes.

#1 7-9 looks bad on Watson and all coaching.

#2 If he has comparable stats and WRs are relatively healthier than 2019's it would be my position Dashaun has plateaued. Of course there will be arguing but if O'Brien is HC 2021 Watson has to go. It would be better for him and for team.

You listed 3 factions but you don't have an option that supports each one. It seems in both options the only constant is a negative impact regarding Watson. My issue is that I don't think any QB will perform well enough under OB to carry this team to a Super Bowl. IMO, as a HC I just don't think OB has it in him to out-coach an opposing HC nor the ability to field a well coached team. As I look at SB winning coaches, all of them are well thought of except for maybe Ditka and Switzer. Those 2 had extremely talented teams and I doubt OB could ever assemble one. Looking at SB winning QBs there are definitely mediocre QBs that won and did not carry their team. But to answer your question, I think it will be just chugging along. As long as OB is the GM/HC he will be here unless a disaster happens like a 4 wins or less season that did not involve an injury to Watson. The Texans really need someone proven with successful football operations experience serving as an adviser. If Watson tanks this season his trade value would obviously go down, if you trade him now to get picks in the earlier rounds of 2021's draft then who is the trade partner? How do you know that this "mystical" QB that OB wants exists or will be available? Even if all that plays out, you end up with either buying OB more time or limiting new HC candidates to only those that buy into the QB that was taken in 2021.

badboy

Hall of Fame
You listed 3 factions but you don't have an option that supports each one. It seems in both options the only constant is a negative impact regarding Watson. My issue is that I don't think any QB will perform well enough under OB to carry this team to a Super Bowl. IMO, as a HC I just don't think OB has it in him to out-coach an opposing HC nor the ability to field a well coached team. As I look at SB winning coaches, all of them are well thought of except for maybe Ditka and Switzer. Those 2 had extremely talented teams and I doubt OB could ever assemble one. Looking at SB winning QBs there are definitely mediocre QBs that won and did not carry their team. But to answer your question, I think it will be just chugging along. As long as OB is the GM/HC he will be here unless a disaster happens like a 4 wins or less season that did not involve an injury to Watson. The Texans really need someone proven with successful football operations experience serving as an adviser. If Watson tanks this season his trade value would obviously go down, if you trade him now to get picks in the earlier rounds of 2021's draft then who is the trade partner? How do you know that this "mystical" QB that OB wants exists or will be available? Even if all that plays out, you end up with either buying OB more time or limiting new HC candidates to only those that buy into the QB that was taken in 2021.
The thread is based upon 7-9 record or less as I said and others are posting could happen. That leads to negatives for Watson for 2021. I do not say he would not be a positive elsewhere. If you think Watson will take this team to final two AFC, this thread is not for you. Appreciate your comments.

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
7-9 to 9-7 this year. Slowly degrading to 6-8 wins in the year or 2 after that as GM O’Brien’s cumulative effects come to roost. The great cal won’t fire him until at least after 2022 season. 8-8, 7-9, then 6-10 hohum.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
No poll this season. They aren't worth it. My prediction is 3-13 and the end of A$$face. (Now just watch him turn around and win the SB. Dream on.)
No clue for 2021 onward. Depends on who the next HC is.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I was looking at some of the win total projections for the league …. None had the Texans above 7.5 and every one I read had both Indy and Tennessee projected to finish ahead of our Texans.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I was looking at some of the win total projections for the league …. None had the Texans above 7.5 and every one I read had both Indy and Tennessee projected to finish ahead of our Texans.
So if the Texas finish 3rd with 7 wins, does OBrien stay?

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Admittedly, I’m now an outsider. I moved from Texas over 5 years ago so don’t follow the local vibe there anymore. That said, how can you hate Watson? He’s the only positive thing the Texans have IMO.

The dude gets it. I loved how he was sporting the Moon jersey and trying to embrace the culture of the Houston fans (which the McNairs clearly never have done).

I wasn’t big on him coming out of college but I was wrong. It just sucks that he’s stuck with that blow hard jack ass coach wanna be GM.

I was going to add a bunch more here but have had a couple of beverages so I’ll stop there. :)

badboy

Hall of Fame
7-9 to 9-7 this year. Slowly degrading to 6-8 wins in the year or 2 after that as GM O’Brien’s cumulative effects come to roost. The great cal won’t fire him until at least after 2022 season. 8-8, 7-9, then 6-10 hohum.
If so do you extend Watson and if yes, why?

badboy

Hall of Fame
4 wins next year and he gets fired, but the team is in for a long rebuild
So high picks in round three and four but do you extend Watson, Fuller and Cunningham? What does rebuild look like for next off season? Do you cut Watt, Martin and David Johnson?

Thanks for responding but I'm looking for ideas in addition to projection.

badboy

Hall of Fame
No poll this season. They aren't worth it. My prediction is 3-13 and the end of A$$face. (Now just watch him turn around and win the SB. Dream on.)
No clue for 2021 onward. Depends on who the next HC is.
So if 3-13 it's all on Obrien and Kelly and Watson just continue on? With OB calling plays in 2019 Watson got. 9-7 and many say that was all #4 so with Kelly should not Watson do at least as well this season? Hopkins despite being all pro didn't seem to be game changer for season. We will miss him but this roster on paper only good for three wins? Interesting.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yes and one of reasons I started thread. What do you do next off season?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Admittedly, I’m now an outsider. I moved from Texas over 5 years ago so don’t follow the local vibe there anymore. That said, how can you hate Watson? He’s the only positive thing the Texans have IMO.

The dude gets it. I loved how he was sporting the Moon jersey and trying to embrace the culture of the Houston fans (which the McNairs clearly never have done).

I wasn’t big on him coming out of college but I was wrong. It just sucks that he’s stuck with that blow hard jack ass coach wanna be GM.

I was going to add a bunch more here but have had a couple of beverages so I’ll stop there. :)

I don't hate Watson - I just question whether or not he's the guy you want to hitch your wagon to beyond 2021 (the conclusion of his current contract) and its really hard to decipher that with the current coaching staff.

Watson makes a lot of big plays , particularly when plays break down …. But leaves a lot of plays on the field otherwise.

He comprehends the schemes as shown when he's diagnosing plays on tape but that's a world of difference from doing it in real time. That's where he's got to get better.
We know he can make something from a broken play ….

Last year the offense produced only 0.6 "sustained drives" per game - 10 plays or more resulting in a touchdown. That's a total of 9 for the 15 games Watson started.
They failed to score a single 1st quarter TD thru the 15 games Watson started.

Move the chains , live to fight another down …. it doesn't have to be all or nothing and with Watson and this offense , all too often that's the result and that leaves me wondering if he's the guy I want to tie up a large percentage of cap space in for the long haul.

Exciting ? Absolutely …. but the ultimate goal is Lombardi's ….

badboy

Hall of Fame

Your opinion still has worth to me but what are your moves after end of NFL season? I assume from your post you extend Certain for 40 +? After firing OB do you cut team?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I don't know …. I'd like to believe that the way they went out last year along with failing to make the playoffs this year would be enough to rid us of OB but …. this ownership group has always been reluctant to make changes.

Anything could happen ….
Very important point, so you think end of season will impact the 'psyche' of the team impacting the play?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't hate Watson - I just question whether or not he's the guy you want to hitch your wagon to beyond 2021 (the conclusion of his current contract) and its really hard to decipher that with the current coaching staff.

Watson makes a lot of big plays , particularly when plays break down …. But leaves a lot of plays on the field otherwise.

He comprehends the schemes as shown when he's diagnosing plays on tape but that's a world of difference from doing it in real time. That's where he's got to get better.
We know he can make something from a broken play ….

Last year the offense produced only 0.6 "sustained drives" per game - 10 plays or more resulting in a touchdown. That's a total of 9 for the 15 games Watson started.
They failed to score a single 1st quarter TD thru the 15 games Watson started.

Move the chains , live to fight another down …. it doesn't have to be all or nothing and with Watson and this offense , all too often that's the result and that leaves me wondering if he's the guy I want to tie up a large percentage of cap space in for the long haul.

Exciting ? Absolutely …. but the ultimate goal is Lombardi's ….
All of this is BOB's fault according to some.

In truth some of this is BOB's fault, but some of this is DW4's fault.

BTW, I tear it down. Fire BOB, trade DW4 and start over.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
So if 3-13 it's all on Obrien and Kelly and Watson just continue on? With OB calling plays in 2019 Watson got. 9-7 and many say that was all #4 so with Kelly should not Watson do at least as well this season? Hopkins despite being all pro didn't seem to be game changer for season. We will miss him but this roster on paper only good for three wins? Interesting.
Hopkins won several games for us, and we got little in exchange for him, not enough to replace Hyde, I bet. We got very little for Clowney, paid too much for Tunsil, and the resulting meager draft is not going to replace Reader with an equal. Kelly will have little voice in the operation. Without Hopkins to bail him out, Watson will not be so hot. You read it here first folks.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Hopkins won several games for us, and we got little in exchange for him, not enough to replace Hyde, I bet. We got very little for Clowney, paid too much for Tunsil, and the resulting meager draft is not going to replace Reader with an equal. Kelly will have little voice in the operation. Without Hopkins to bail him out, Watson will not be so hot. You read it here first folks.
You are a day late and a dollar short … I been saying all of that for weeks.

badboy

Hall of Fame
All of this is BOB's fault according to some.

In truth some of this is BOB's fault, but some of this is DW4's fault.

BTW, I tear it down. Fire BOB, trade DW4 and start over.
I am not so much interested in blame but where do we go from the end of 2020 season? If we go less than 7 / 9 , Watson value disappears and we almost have to play Mccarron 2021 at apprx $5 million rather than Dashaun at $18-20 m. I would not want to cut Watson after this season but I just don't think we would get much in trade for him if he bottoms out this year.

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
If so do you extend Watson and if yes, why?
I think into the future you have to let Watson play out his contract then franchise him until you know he is super bowl capable and that means getting better coaching, fire O’Brien, cut watt, cut David Johnson, not sign fuller or Cunningham, draft pass rush and secondary, get GM. More than likely Cal will do nothing and still make millions. NFL is too big to fail

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Very important point, so you think end of season will impact the 'psyche' of the team impacting the play?
NO , I don't think the way they ended last season has any impact on their play this year.

I just think it should have some impact on OB's job security … particularly if they fail to make the playoffs this year.

We've had a thread "Fire OB Now" since September of 2018 …. Yet in that time he's only accumulated more power within the organization , going from just the HC to HC and OC , then HC , OC and GM …. You figure the way they lost that game in KC - that they had no business losing after being up 24-0 … along with a failed season , that should be enough to earn OB his walking papers.

A failure this season , there's no one left to blame but OB.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Clarify your first sentence. Are you saying that Hopkins won several games for us in 2019?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think into the future you have to let Watson play out his contract then franchise him until you know he is super bowl capable and that means getting better coaching, fire O’Brien, cut watt, cut David Johnson, not sign fuller or Cunningham, draft pass rush and secondary, get GM. More than likely Cal will do nothing and still make millions. NFL is too big to fail
Thanks

badboy

Hall of Fame
NO , I don't think the way they ended last season has any impact on their play this year.

I just think it should have some impact on OB's job security … particularly if they fail to make the playoffs this year.

We've had a thread "Fire OB Now" since September of 2018 …. Yet in that time he's only accumulated more power within the organization , going from just the HC to HC and OC , then HC , OC and GM …. You figure the way they lost that game in KC - that they had no business losing after being up 24-0 … along with a failed season , that should be enough to earn OB his walking papers.

A failure this season , there's no one left to blame but OB.
Thanks. I don't want to replicate Fire Obrien or Watson round 1 threads. Just what moves we can make.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So high picks in round three and four but do you extend Watson, Fuller and Cunningham? What does rebuild look like for next off season? Do you cut Watt, Martin and David Johnson?

Thanks for responding but I'm looking for ideas in addition to projection.
Lots of tough decisions.

David Johnson will be cut next year regardless. I think you cut Nick Martin next year too, he's not worth it.

I think you have to sign Watson, but with the understanding that the team has to rebuild and be bad for a few years

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I am not so much interested in blame but where do we go from the end of 2020 season? If we go less than 7 / 9 , Watson value disappears and we almost have to play Mccarron 2021 at apprx $5 million rather than Dashaun at $18-20 m. I would not want to cut Watson after this season but I just don't think we would get much in trade for him if he bottoms out this year.
The last sentence in my post is what I would do.

Trade him to the Bears. I bet they would do a Mack type deal for DW4

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I see no one thought about this or at least voiced. What if Watson has a banner year with the offense.....to the tune of: COMP: 68%+ / YDS: 4,400+ / TD: 30+ / INT: 12- and the Texans go 7-9 b/c the defense just couldn't hold the leads given to them.

Do you fire OB or try to trade Watson? That'll be a big choice if the Texans don't have an early RD1 pick until 2022. Based on their history, even if the Texans played them selves into a top 5 pick, the 2022 NFL Draft would probably be a down year bonafide talent wise with nothing but reaches being available and no team willing to trade back with them. That's the Texans luck.

RGV82

Random guy
I see no one thought about this or at least voiced. What if Watson has a banner year with the offense.....to the tune of: COMP: 68%+ / YDS: 4,400+ / TD: 30+ / INT: 12- and the Texans go 7-9 b/c the defense just couldn't hold the leads given to them.

Do you fire OB or try to trade Watson? That'll be a big choice if the Texans don't have an early RD1 pick until 2022. Based on their history, even if the Texans played them selves into a top 5 pick, the 2022 NFL Draft would probably be a down year bonafide talent wise with nothing but reaches being available and no team willing to trade back with them. That's the Texans luck.
Ideally you fire BOB.... but under this regime, chances are Watson will be the scapegoat. My number one wish for this team (other than a SB) is to have Watson play under a different head coach, but chances are that will never happen.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

If this happens another new DC will get sacrificed (Weaver) until our GM can attain enough defensive talent to compensate.
After a banner year like that, Watson gets his contract and OB stays on as HC/GM. However, if I am the owner, I emphasize that OB delegate a majority of game day coaching to the assistant head coach Romeo Crennel. He is a defensive mind and should be allowed a larger authority in rebuilding our defense.

RGV82

Random guy
If this happens another new DC will get sacrificed (Weaver) until our GM can attain enough defensive talent to compensate.
After a banner year like that, Watson gets his contract and OB stays on as HC/GM. However, if I am the owner, I emphasize that OB delegate a majority of game day coaching to the assistant head coach Romeo Crennel. He is a defensive mind and should be allowed a larger authority in rebuilding our defense.
I agree with the latter about rebuilding our defense but what do you mean by a majority of game day coaching? Having Crennel with more of a role would not give me any more confidence. He is good at his defensive planning, but is probably one of the worst head coaches of all time. He needs to stick to defensive planning, and thats it.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I agree with the latter about rebuilding our defense but what do you mean by a majority of game day coaching? Having Crennel with more of a role would not give me any more confidence. He is good at his defensive planning, but is probably one of the worst head coaches of all time. He needs to stick to defensive planning, and thats it.
It would be my hope that Crennel would be an improvement over OB in game management (Timeouts, Challenges, etc etc) while being completely "hands-off" the offense allowing Kelly full reign.

RGV82

Random guy
It would be my hope that Crennel would be an improvement over OB in game management (Timeouts, Challenges, etc etc) while being completely "hands-off" the offense allowing Kelly full reign.
That is a good optimistic outlook. Hopefully his knowledge and game management has improved in the past few years. He will always be regarded as one of the worst head coaches of all time in my books, and I am sure many others.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
That is a good optimistic outlook. Hopefully his knowledge and game management has improved in the past few years. He will always be regarded as one of the worst head coaches of all time in my books, and I am sure many others.
I remember his days in Kansas City the most. It would be an experiment for sure.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

This is the exact scenario I expect, but with fewer wins and the offense overall will suck.

Watson will be great, everything else will be trash.

We will need to get someone smart in here to rebuild. Of course trading Watson for a boatload of picks is always an option

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

I think its fairly likely that Watson posts some fairly solid stats … and it's also very likely that the team doesn't win many games.
Where you go from there …. no premium draft picks , little cap space , Watson going into the season on his 5th year option and a defense that's just lacking talent on all levels ...

The real question is what happens with OB. You'd hope that the last 6 years have taught them something - OB is poor to middling - and they move on.

What to do with Watson at that point ? …. Quarterbacks do tend to have a longer shelf life than most other positions. I think the big question at that point is what he costs you.
Does he demand this $35m a year figure when we have a cap that's shrunk by ~30% and he's taking up ~26% of the total ?
Or can you get him to sign for ~14% of the cap ?

If its the former - you trade him for all you can get , if its the latter , I think you keep him and try to rebuild around him.

badboy

Hall of Fame
This is the exact scenario I expect, but with fewer wins and the offense overall will suck.

Watson will be great, everything else will be trash.

We will need to get someone smart in here to rebuild. Of course trading Watson for a boatload of picks is always an option
just asking, if a three-year-old All Pro wide receiver can't get us much how do you expect a boatload for Watson even after the projected stats above?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
just asking, if a three-year-old All Pro wide receiver can't get us much how do you expect a boatload for Watson even after the projected stats above?
I don't think OBrien can get much for him, but a real GM could.

Remember OBrien thinks he got an amazing deal for Hopkins because he thinks he got 2016 David Johnson and his offense is from the 1980s

badboy

Hall of Fame
I don't think OBrien can get much for him, but a real GM could.

Remember OBrien thinks he got an amazing deal for Hopkins because he thinks he got 2016 David Johnson and his offense is from the 1980s
We go <7-9, Cal fires O'Brien, new GM trades Watson and hires new HC. JJ Watt retires after missing (?) Games.

Ok..take it from there. Anybody...

badboy

Hall of Fame
New GM coming will be extremely excited to build around Watson.

The New Head Coach will also be thrilled and ready to build around Watson.
I do not think that Cal McNair is as excited about Watson As You Are. That of course it's just an opinion

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think its fairly likely that Watson posts some fairly solid stats … and it's also very likely that the team doesn't win many games.
Where you go from there …. no premium draft picks , little cap space , Watson going into the season on his 5th year option and a defense that's just lacking talent on all levels ...

The real question is what happens with OB. You'd hope that the last 6 years have taught them something - OB is poor to middling - and they move on.

What to do with Watson at that point ? …. Quarterbacks do tend to have a longer shelf life than most other positions. I think the big question at that point is what he costs you.
Does he demand this $35m a year figure when we have a cap that's shrunk by ~30% and he's taking up ~26% of the total ?
Or can you get him to sign for ~14% of the cap ?

If its the former - you trade him for all you can get , if its the latter , I think you keep him and try to rebuild around him.
Teams know the Texans and OB very well by now. Trading Watson at a point of desperation would yield far less than anyone could expect. Texans couldn't even expect to replace Watson through the draft until 2022 or 2023....depending on how far McCarron or Ryan Fitzpatrick could take them.

I don't think the cap is going to budge. If it fell as much as some of you are predicting, every team in the NFL would be re-shaped in 2021. It would be a crazy mess with very uncertain outcomes.