Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 Texans Mock Draft

gs27

Veteran
40 - Zach Baun - OLB - Wisconsin - Baun is the prototypical SOLB that the Texans have not had since Brooks Reed. Has ability to rush, set edge and drop into zone. IMO Baun is the player at pick 40 that could have most immediate impact on team. IMO the Texans should have signed Beasley in FA as he was been fish out of water in Falcons 4-3, but Baun fills the need.

90 - Tyler Johnson - WR - Minnesota - Tough competitor that battles and wins contested catches

111 - Darnay Holmes - CB - UCLA - Need pick, one of better value corners in draft, 3 year starter, not the fastest, not the longest, but solid and consistent

171 - Khalil Davis - DT - Nebraska - Flipped the switch in 2019, 8 sacks, 11 TFL, ran 4.75 and put up 32 reps at 6'-1", 308 lbs (Aaron Donaldesque). Not sure he will last this long but this is where most sites have him rated

240 - John Reid - CB - Penn St - Comparable to Brice McCain - Value slot corner, will drop due to 2 knee surgeries but worth the risk this late

248 - Jon Runyan - OL - Michigan - 2 time 1st team left tackle in B1G that is also a bloodline pick, most have him moving to guard but I wouldn't rule him out of playing tackle with a mobile QB.

250 - Jordan Fuller - S - Ohio St - Smart safety who's physical limitations are not as great as described by most.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
40 - Zach Baun - OLB - Wisconsin - Baun is the prototypical SOLB that the Texans have not had since Brooks Reed. Has ability to rush, set edge and drop into zone. IMO Baun is the player at pick 40 that could have most immediate impact on team. IMO the Texans should have signed Beasley in FA as he was been fish out of water in Falcons 4-3, but Baun fills the need.

90 - Tyler Johnson - WR - Minnesota - Tough competitor that battles and wins contested catches

111 - Darnay Holmes - CB - UCLA - Need pick, one of better value corners in draft, 3 year starter, not the fastest, not the longest, but solid and consistent

171 - Khalil Davis - DT - Nebraska - Flipped the switch in 2019, 8 sacks, 11 TFL, ran 4.75 and put up 32 reps at 6'-1", 308 lbs (Aaron Donaldesque). Not sure he will last this long but this is where most sites have him rated

240 - John Reid - CB - Penn St - Comparable to Brice McCain - Value slot corner, will drop due to 2 knee surgeries but worth the risk this late

248 - Jon Runyan - OL - Michigan - 2 time 1st team left tackle in B1G that is also a bloodline pick, most have him moving to guard but I wouldn't rule him out of playing tackle with a mobile QB.

250 - Jordan Fuller - S - Ohio St - Smart safety who's physical limitations are not as great as described by most.
I like it, Why a WR at 90?

Give me a NT/DE or LB at 90.

gs27

Veteran
I like it, Why a WR at 90?

Give me a NT/DE or LB at 90.
Just a great draft to get a good WR for a bargain. Cooks, Fuller and Stills are alot alike and I don't anticipate resigning or franchising Fuller next year. I think two gapping NT even in 3-4 is dead position, I did add interior DT, not much smaller than Reader, who very rarely two gapped last year. Buan is versatile and can play inside or out at LB, plenty of good backup/ST LBs will be available as UDFA. Would like to have picked up a 3-4 DE but just wasn't a big fan of any that would be available at 90.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Just a great draft to get a good WR for a bargain. Cooks, Fuller and Stills are alot alike and I don't anticipate resigning or franchising Fuller next year. I think two gapping NT even in 3-4 is dead position, I did add interior DT, not much smaller than Reader, who very rarely two gapped last year. Buan is versatile and can play inside or out at LB, plenty of good backup/ST LBs will be available as UDFA. Would like to have picked up a 3-4 DE but just wasn't a big fan of any that would be available at 90.
You don't like a guy like Lynch?

gs27

Veteran
You don't like a guy like Lynch?
I actually really like Lynch and think he could be picked in the early 2nd round. He could play anything from a 3 to a strongside 7. My issue is if Panthers pass on him at 69, I'm not sure I want to pick him at 90.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I actually really like Lynch and think he could be picked in the early 2nd round. He could play anything from a 3 to a strongside 7. My issue is if Panthers pass on him at 69, I'm not sure I want to pick him at 90.
He would be well worth 90. IMHO

But if there's a CB or S there at 90 that would be my pick.

mussop

Hall of Fame
He would be well worth 90. IMHO

But if there's a CB or S there at 90 that would be my pick.
I think safety and D-line and maybe OL will be where the value is at 40. I’m really hoping for Winfield or Davidson or Gallimore or Ruiz or Wilson. Really any of the top 6 or 7 OL available would be a steal @ 40.

any of those guys come in and start right away and are an upgrade over what we have now. IMO 40 has to be a starter or at the very least a major contributor right away.

Without a first or second next year we have to hit here. We don’t have the luxury of taking a less talented player picking for need or a high potential type player or some small school reach. I really like Dugger at safety but just too risky.

I would consider taking gamble on one player, Hurts. People will think I’m crazy but I think if used right he could be a huge asset to the offense. Of course I have no confidence our coaches would know how to use him so.....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think safety and D-line and maybe OL will be where the value is at 40. I’m really hoping for Winfield or Davidson or Gallimore or Ruiz or Wilson. Really any of the top 6 or 7 OL available would be a steal @ 40.

any of those guys come in and start right away and are an upgrade over what we have now. IMO 40 has to be a starter or at the very least a major contributor right away.

Without a first or second next year we have to hit here. We don’t have the luxury of taking a less talented player picking for need or a high potential type player or some small school reach. I really like Dugger at safety but just too risky.

I would consider taking gamble on one player, Hurts. People will think I’m crazy but I think if used right he could be a huge asset to the offense. Of course I have no confidence our coaches would know how to use him so.....
The 1st paragraph is why I would trade down if possible.

I'm not against bringing Hurts home and using him like Taysom Hill.

I just don't think they have the draft capital to spend the high pick it will take to bring Hurts home.

Number19

Hall of Fame

I don't believe in BPA. There's no such thing. Except for the top 5 to 10, or so, you ask 10 people and you'll have 10 BPA's.

What you have are clouds of players at all the positions who all grade out approx the same.

At the top of the 2nd round you are going to have three edge rushers who grade out between 88 and 90. You also are going to have other players at other positions grading out at approx the same.

What it comes down to is what position will have the most impact on the season, as a rookie.

We were near the bottom last season In pressuring the opposing QB and in sacks. If we improve in this area, this will also ripple out and help improve our DB's pass defense.

Upgrading our pass rush will do more than any other move to have a rookie impact our season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't believe in BPA. There's no such thing. Except for the top 5 to 10, or so, you ask 10 people and you'll have 10 BPA's.

What you have are clouds of players at all the positions who all grade out approx the same.

At the top of the 2nd round you are going to have three edge rushers who grade out between 88 and 90. You also are going to have other players at other positions grading out at approx the same.

What it comes down to is what position will have the most impact on the season, as a rookie.

We were near the bottom last season In pressuring the opposing QB and in sacks. If we improve in this area, this will also ripple out and help improve our DB's pass defense.

Upgrading our pass rush will do more than any other move to have a rookie impact our season.
Agreed, but a safety like Delpit would be the answer for covering Kelce.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Agreed, but a safety like Delpit would be the answer for covering Kelce.
This Coronavirus has really thrown a monkywrench into evaluations. What has me intrigued with Owara is his explosion and quickness in his rush. His 40 is only estimated, but he has been clocked at 21 mph. Translating this to 40 yards is largely dependent on the 20 yd split, but falls between 4.4 and 4.6. Someone his size likely falls toward the higher end, but I just can't get the picture of an explosive quick twitch rusher with 4.5 speed coming from the edge.

mussop

Hall of Fame

Hard to get pressure when opposing QBs know they can quick strike is all day long. Hopefully our new DC doesn’t buy into that bend don’t break defense where our DBs consistently line up 12 to 14 yards off the LOS.

A change in philosophy will help as much as anything. It would also help to get some pressure up the middle every once in a while.

and yes there is such a thing as BPA. That may differ from team to team because each team puts together their big board according to who fits their team the best. Stick to your board. Take the highest rated player. That is BPA. Need is factored in when these boards are put together. Teams that don’t stick to their board or build their board well are the ones that suck at the draft.

mussop

Hall of Fame
This Coronavirus has really thrown a monkywrench into evaluations. What has me intrigued with Owara is his explosion and quickness in his rush. His 40 is only estimated, but he has been clocked at 21 mph. Translating this to 40 yards is largely dependent on the 20 yd split, but falls between 4.4 and 4.6. Someone his size likely falls toward the higher end, but I just can't get the picture of an explosive quick twitch rusher with 4.5 speed coming from the edge.
He’s one of my favorites because he has a knack for creating turnovers. He has that extra something that allows him to be able to focus on the ball in situations where other are just looking to make a tackle. I believe he’ll be long gone before 40. There’s actually some really good looking edge talent later in this draft.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think this is the point, when you have Demeco Ryans graded as a mid first & he's there for your 2nd round pick, you double check your grade, verify he is BPA & take him.

If they're all in the same approximate vicinity you take need, Tytus Howard.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Get what your saying but Tytus Howard was 2nd rd. grade at best, but given need and more importantly no trading partners Texans and Howard are stuck together for at least three more years.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Get what your saying but Tytus Howard was 2nd rd. grade at best, but given need and more importantly no trading partners Texans and Howard are stuck together for at least three more years.
I don't doubt the Texans grade for Howard wasn't far off from the other players taken in that range.

People just liked other less versatile players.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Not sure if your defending the front office or pick itself? There is a round difference, grade wise to me from a player like Marquise Brown to a 2 year project like Howard.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not sure if your defending the front office or pick itself? There is a round difference, grade wise to me from a player like Marquise Brown to a 2 year project like Howard.
I wouldn't call it a defense, I wouldn't be surprised to find out their grading system is jacked up.

At the same time, they actually talk to these players & spent real time in front of them evaluating them. Surely that is reflected in their grade & not ours.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't call it a defense, I wouldn't be surprised to find out their grading system is jacked up.

At the same time, they actually talk to these players & spent real time in front of them evaluating them. Surely that is reflected in their grade & not ours.
Bill O’Brian is not a big stats guy so would it be a safe guess he relies on gut feel for individual character well as the tape?
Then he bounces ideas off his position coaches?
What input does this scouting department have, any accountability?
It’s very confusing and frustrating. Hard to even deal with Mock Draft for this team anymore. Off season moves all seem like the wrong moves. Should be fun and enjoyable, not a kick in the teeth.