Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 NFL Combine

Lance Zierlein's NFL.com prospect grading scale

EQRRZM3WAAErALK

New drills (and elimation of old drills) at this year's combine.

This should be fun to watch.

Defensive line

NEW: Run and club drill, run the hoop drill

Run and club: Five stand-up bags are in a vertical line, five yards apart, with the final bag including "arms". The defender will fire out of a three-point stance and run through the bags, clubbing the first with his right arm, spinning on the second bag, clubbing the third bag with his left arm, ripping through the fourth bag and flattening downhill to slap bag with arms to simulate a strip.

I like Denzel Mims and see him as a possible Hopkins (6-1 @ 214 lbs / 4.5-40) clone only a little bigger at 6-3 @ 206 lbs and faster but the same kind of catch radius. I really like Marquez Callaway b/c he is 6-2 @ 190 lbs, has a stupid catch radius and can pop a 4.3-40. He also returns kicks and punts....why not when you have 4.3-40 wheels.

Give me Mims early and Callaway late and that's a haul for the Texans WR group. With Hopkins and Stills (Re-Sign).....that would make Fuller and Coutee available for trade. A package with this type of speed would appeal to a lot of teams and could get the Texans a RD2 or RD3 in return and a conditional pick in 2021.

I agree with Opto here. Coming away with 2 receivers from this draft (I like Mims and Duvernay myself) would improve the Texans from a talent perspective (Mims and Duvernay over Coutee and D. Carter) and also would allow us to move on from Fuller (and thus saving cap room and potentially providing draft capital).

I agree with Opto here. Coming away with 2 receivers from this draft (I like Mims and Duvernay myself) would improve the Texans from a talent perspective (Mims and Duvernay over Coutee and D. Carter) and also would allow us to move on from Fuller (and thus saving cap room and potentially providing draft capital).
The draft is very deep at WR, so I can definitely see us spending a pick or two at the position. Ideally I’d only reserve one pick for WR since we have multiple needs on defense.

If many of you have never seen the Marquez Callaway (Tennessee), take a moment a Google him and watch some of his highlight videos. To get him late in the draft b/c of the depth......it could be a steal for the position.

Hamler
Hightower
Weaver
Gladney
Jackson

in that order for me of those 5. The Weaver kid is intriguing. He can really bend & seems to be a natural pass rusher..but his 1st step..slow. he could also looks like he needs to get in the weight room too...Definitely a project that could pay off in the long term.
Word is, Hamler tweaked his hamstring and won't run the 40 at the combine. Expects to run at his pro day.

I'm afraid Mims has run and jumped his way out of range for the Texans. That guy has star potential and it would have been nice to have him on the cheap for four seasons.

I'm afraid Mims has run and jumped his way out of range for the Texans. That guy has star potential and it would have been nice to have him on the cheap for four seasons.
I have to agree with you. I thought that we’d be able to get him in the 4th, but now I think he’ll go in the top of the 2nd. Duvernay or Hightower could be speed WR options to add.

The LB group looks a lot deeper than I had originally thought.

I hope they draft a couple of fast LB's/CB's/WR's.

I'm disappointed in Gladney's/Noah I's 40 times

I need to check out more of Robinson from Tulsa, fast, smooth, long CB.

Last edited:
If you had to pick 3, who would you choose?

Gladney/JordanBrooks/Duvernay. If he was healthy I would pick Bryan Edwards over Duvernay.

Who would you pick?

You should start a thread with who would be your top 3 picks for the Texans in the upcoming draft.

Hamler
Hightower
Weaver
Gladney
Jackson

in that order for me of those 5. The Weaver kid is intriguing. He can really bend & seems to be a natural pass rusher..but his 1st step..slow. he could also looks like he needs to get in the weight room too...Definitely a project that could pay off in the long term.
Reverse it for me bearring getting my guys in FA. I liked Weaver in college but many question his transition to NFL . I wouldn't draft him before 4th but realize prob gone by end of round two. Bring in CBs Jones and Poole and WR Anderson and I wouldn't scream if Weaver taken at 2.57 but if we get Beasley for OLB I'd go elsewhere. If we signed these four I'd probably go corner or RB at 57. Some of those CBs that possibly could be there would be hard to ignore. Gladney or Lamar Jackson.

I hope they draft a couple of fast LB's/CB's/WR's.

I'm disappointed in Gladney's/Noah I's 40 times

I need to check out more of Robinson from Tulsa, fast, smooth, long CB.
yes and I have him currently at 4.21 a press CB 38 Ts; 13 of 17 targets broken up! 2 fumble recoveries and his 4th blocked kick; 4 INTs & allowed only 1 TD. Dude is smooth! 6'1 and 202. Reggie is from Cleburne TX and was multi weekly honor roll. 4.4 forty and 36 inch vert!! He could work into late 2nd round by draft. Can also play off man and zone.

Combine:https://www.nfl.com/prospects/reggie-robinson ii?id=3219524f-4273-6176-83a6-25be1b8cd671

yes and I have him currently at 4.21 a press CB 38 Ts; 13 of 17 targets broken up! 2 fumble recoveries and his 4th blocked kick; 4 INTs & allowed only 1 TD. Dude is smooth! 6'1 and 202. Reggie is from Cleburne TX and was multi weekly honor roll. 4.4 forty and 36 inch vert!! He could work into late 2nd round by draft. Can also play off man and zone.

Combine:https://www.nfl.com/prospects/reggie-robinson ii?id=3219524f-4273-6176-83a6-25be1b8cd671

Maybe like to the Texans late in the 2nd?

This draft is becoming deeper and Pro Days could push more players up the ranks. The good, someone solid is going to fall into the Texans hands.

I’ve been wondering that myself. I thought they usually released the comp picks before or during the combine so teams can talk trades if need be.

Teams my eye .... we've got to start sweating over and arguing about, each pick in every round ! How else will O'Brien be able to make accurate selections ? He's already admitted that he's not good at it, (like we needed anyone to tell us), so we have to stand at the ready, to come in an save the day .... we're the Minutemen .... at least that's what my wife used to call me !! :embarrass

Last edited:
Scouting Combine ratings up only three percent
March 4, 2020, 9:24 PM EST

The NFL reconfigured the scheduling of the Scouting Combine to support a move of the player workouts into prime time. And for its trouble, the NFL realized . . . an extremely marginal increase in ratings.

Via Austin Karp of Sports Business Journal, NFL Network experienced a three-percent ratings increase. The league-owned network average 242,000 viewers over the four days of coverage in comparison to 2019. Then (and in prior years) workouts primarily played out in the morning.

So here’s the question for the NFL: Is it worth moving the workouts to prime time? The ratings, after all, may have increased by three percent even without the move to prime time. Heck, maybe the numbers would have done up even more than that.

The NFL seems to be intent on making the Scouting Combine into an even bigger offseason tentpole than it already is. But there may indeed be a hard ceiling on the level of interests in watching incoming rookies do a bunch of stuff that isn’t really football. And it could make more sense for the league to not cram an event that isn’t really ready for prime time into prime time.

The NFL reconfigured the scheduling of the Scouting Combine to support a move of the player workouts into prime time. And for its trouble, the NFL realized . . . an extremely marginal increase in ratings.

Via Austin Karp of Sports Business Journal, NFL Network experienced a three-percent ratings increase. The league-owned network average 242,000 viewers over the four days of coverage in comparison to 2019. Then (and in prior years) workouts primarily played out in the morning.

So here’s the question for the NFL: Is it worth moving the workouts to prime time? The ratings, after all, may have increased by three percent even without the move to prime time. Heck, maybe the numbers would have done up even more than that.

The NFL seems to be intent on making the Scouting Combine into an even bigger offseason tentpole than it already is. But there may indeed be a hard ceiling on the level of interests in watching incoming rookies do a bunch of stuff that isn’t really football. And it could make more sense for the league to not cram an event that isn’t really ready for prime time into prime time.
Honestly I think if the NFL keeps it at prime time, more top players will sit out.
We saw several big names pull up with injuries. Plus I read an article that said the agents were complaining about the downtime between the stretches and the actual events, and that they were blaming the new time schedule.

Honestly I think if the NFL keeps it at prime time, more top players will sit out.
We saw several big names pull up with injuries. Plus I read an article that said the agents were complaining about the downtime between the stretches and the actual events, and that they were blaming the new time schedule.
It's pretty telling when the XFL fared comparable in the viewing audience with the Combine when they were placed head-to-head.

I'm thinking cord cutters and others moving away from pay TV is part of problem.

"Problem"? How the NFL can get ratings in the offseason by broadcasting guys running around in shorts is nothing short of amazing.
Because millions of people enjoy watching the combine; with the combine comes the TV ratings and soap commercials

Because millions of people enjoy watching the combine; with the combine comes the TV ratings and soap commercials
Right. They've had me hooked for many years. Their costs are minimal and practically whatever ad dollars they grab from the combine is gravy. They may have 99 problems, but the combine ain't one.*

* First paraphrased rap lyric I've posted at TT.

Right. They've had me hooked for many years. Their costs are minimal and practically whatever ad dollars they grab from the combine is gravy. They may have 99 problems, but the combine ain't one.*

* First paraphrased rap lyric I've posted at TT.
I wonder if the profits from combine is shared with players in the new CBA ?

Pue profit for players that they have nothing to do with. That should be a small benefit.

Back