Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 hc candidates

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
No no guys, you're missing the point here. We need to channel our inner Astro's and get Odo as the next head coach. He could turn himself into field grass and listen in on the other bench.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I have no idea. Bill O'Brien's tenure as Texans HC drove me from watching football of just about any kind. A quarter here, a couple of minutes in OT there is all of seen of any team in over two years.

It's long past time to start searching for a new HC and I would like to see the Texans go out and find someone young, smart, and not walking around like Robert Conrad with a battery on his shoulder telling people "Go ahead, knock it off". Look at the kind of guys who got their shots in Los Angeles with the Rams and Philadelphia. I'm more inclined to want a first timer again now. In the past I always thought the Texans needed someone who had been there before, especially early in their existence.

Capers kind of fit that mold but he had never really won so not exactly. He more or less knew how Head Coaches did their jobs and how the league worked. Good enough to start with.

When they hired Kubiak I was sort of hoping for someone established. A "proven winner" type because I was pretty sure we were better than we looked at 2-14 under Capers in 2005. We were but not all that much better. Some of the Texans issues disappeared immediately under Kubiak. Others required a complete rebuilding of the unit. No matter who they hired the cupboard was kind of bare.

When Butt-Chin came in I was all on board but I missed a lot of the warning signs. The fact that he's a raging asshole was one of them. I was seeing what I wanted to see and again misjudging the talent level of the team. This time in the opposite direction. Basically O'Brien wasted the last few years of a pretty good squad's careers (Arian Foster and Andre Johnson in particular) and I just kind of wish if we could go back in time that Kubiak and Phillips had never been shown the door.

I haven't been right about a HC yet so who cares what I want in a HC candidate right? Still if asked I'd say we watched Shanahan and Vrabel go out the door. Try to find a younger candidate that can lead and will work with the GM who you hire first.

Last edited:

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Ob will ruin our roster if he sticks around. He got rid of Clowney like a idiot.
Too late. The roster's already pretty jacked up and he's burned a bunch of draft picks that someone else might have used to fix it. Wait until we see what he trades away next year to get over .500 again.....

Reactions: ROO

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Damn you know this is an awful losing fan base with no standards when once again they're begging for the last loser HC because of the current one. Some of you really do make the Mcnairs look like geniuses for buying a team in this city. The unconditional loyalty to mediocrity is a huge perk of owning a team here.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
And Cal bought it …. We're stuck with this clown for another year minimum.
This is why my answer for HC candidate is Robin Williams being genie from Aladdin... cause OB being fired is a pure work of fantasy.

May as well have a Disney castle in the background...... and the theme song would be "let it go."

Hope for the playoffs.... let it go.
Hope for the draft.... let it go.
Hope of utilizing player talents... let it go.
Have a time out.... let it go...

silvrhand

All Pro
I have no idea. Bill O'Brien's tenure as Texans HC drove me from watching football of just about any kind. A quarter here, a couple of minutes in OT there is all of seen of any team in over two years.

It's long past time to start searching for a new HC and I would like to see the Texans go out and find someone young, smart, and not walking around like Robert Conrad with a battery on his shoulder telling people "Go ahead, knock it off". Look at the kind of guys who got their shots in Los Angeles with the Rams and Philadelphia. I'm more inclined to want a first timer again now. In the past I always thought the Texans needed someone who had been there before, especially early in their existence.

Capers kind of fit that mold but he had never really won so not exactly. He more or less knew how Head Coaches did their jobs and how the league worked. Good enough to start with.

When they hired Kubiak I was sort of hoping for someone established. A "proven winner" type because I was pretty sure we were better than we looked at 2-14 under Capers in 2005. We were but not all that much better. Some of the Texans issues disappeared immediately under Kubiak. Others required a complete rebuilding of the unit. No matter who they hired the cupboard was kind of bare.

When Butt-Chin came in I was all on board but I missed a lot of the warning signs. The fact that he's a raging asshole was one of them. I was seeing what I wanted to see and again misjudging the talent level of the team. This time in the opposite direction. Basically O'Brien wasted the last few years of a pretty good squad's careers (Arian Foster and Andre Johnson in particular) and I just kind of wish if we could go back in time that Kubiak and Phillips had never been shown the door.

I haven't been right about a HC yet so who cares what I want in a HC candidate right? Still if asked I'd say we watched Shanahan and Vrabel go out the door. Try to find a younger candidate that can lead and will work with the GM who you hire first.
Kubiak's downfall was Matt Schaub, after he broke his foot he was never the same and Kubiak would never give up on his because he was too emotionally invested.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Sweeny is getting 9.3M each year for 9 more years.
I'm sure there's a huge sum in his buy-out clause.
Whoever wants him is going to have to pay serious money.

Only $4 m buyout 2020. I would do that tomorrow morning.

According to ESPN, Swinney's contract has a standard $4 million buyout through 2020, $3 million between 2021-22, $2 million between 2023-25 and $1 million beyond that point. However, if Swinney were to return to Alabama, he would owe the school an extra 50 percent to buy the contract out.

stingray

Hall of Fame
I think its really a waste of time of thinking of a head coaching candidate unless Marvin Fisher is fired. Thats what im going to call him now. Hes a combination of the two most overated coaches of all time

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
OK, then I'll just slowly go back to rooting for the Niners until it happens. I've already been lurching back. Every time I watch one of their games, a part of my childhood comes back to me.

My sports fandom is worn too thin with all the sports bullshit I've been through to waste time on unserious franchises who have some sort of fetish for this failure.

Scooter

Funky
Wade Phillips.

I don't think any coach has gotten less recognition for their COACHING. Wade has a tree to bring and DOESN'T bring an ego. He can coach without taking over, and has the experience to do right on Sunday (82-64 as a head coach). We have (had) talent, and obviously need someone to fix one area and provide the right coaching/resources for the other. We have a defense VERY familiar with Wade and he knows how to add talent ... much like Kubiak throwing talent to the defense, Wade gets to "give Watson all he wants, I got this".

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Wade Phillips.

I don't think any coach has gotten less recognition for their COACHING. Wade has a tree to bring and DOESN'T bring an ego. He can coach without taking over, and has the experience to do right on Sunday (82-64 as a head coach). We have (had) talent, and obviously need someone to fix one area and provide the right coaching/resources for the other. We have a defense VERY familiar with Wade and he knows how to add talent ... much like Kubiak throwing talent to the defense, Wade gets to "give Watson all he wants, I got this".
Wade would have immediate respect from the players too.
I would not be against Riverboat Ron coming in here either.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Wade Phillips.

The only thing with Wade is his teams starts off rolling. Then in around year three they tend to drop off big time.

Scooter

Funky
The only thing with Wade is his teams starts off rolling. Then in around year three they tend to drop off big time.
Wade the head coach, not the DC. This is where his history and an experienced NFL tree come in (unlike ...). Wade is probably the greatest teacher ever when it comes to outside rushers ... and he gets to double up with Mercilus.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
OK, then I'll just slowly go back to rooting for the Niners until it happens. I've already been lurching back. Every time I watch one of their games, a part of my childhood comes back to me.

My sports fandom is worn too thin with all the sports bullshit I've been through to waste time on unserious franchises who have some sort of fetish for this failure.
I just ended up taking a harder look at baseball and found out I like to watch it much more than I did when I was a kid. I stay in "Far Texans Orbit" out of habit but I waste no time on them. I don't believe in them even a little bit. Bill O'Brien was a huge mistake (one I admit I was for at the time) and it just rubbed out what enthusiasm I had for the team.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Wade the head coach, not the DC. This is where his history and an experienced NFL tree come in (unlike ...). Wade is probably the greatest teacher ever when it comes to outside rushers ... and he gets to double up with Mercilus.
I agree he’s a great teacher. But he’s still 1-5 in the playoffs.
With the Bills
10-6
11-5
8-8
Dallas Cowboys
13-3
9-7
11-5
1-7 and was fired.

281Texan

Waterboy
With literally everyone aside from maybe a total of 5 ppl in the world total bashing him I don’t see how McNair looks at that and doesn’t do anything. I’m still gonna watch next year regardless but if Bill is around and he’s even more desperate to win than he was this year then he may leave the cupboard even more bare for the next GM/HC