Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 hc candidates

If it were my money, I'd pay whatever it took to get Lincoln Riley as the head coach. I remain impressed how he's able to adjust his offense to a new QB every single year and still score a ridiculous amount of points. If he had stability like Watson at QB and receivers like Hopkins, Fuller and Stills, I think he'd be super successful.

bigmck

Rookie
The Texans and Coach BOB have won the AFC South four out of the last five years. This could be the Browns or the Jags that reside in Houston.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
I am okay with O'Brien as head coach and GM as long as McNair does two things...

1. Hire a real OC and tell O'Brien to stay out of the offense.
2. Hire someone to help O'Brien with clock management, challenges, and game awareness.

But if that wouldn't happen, I am for firing the stubborn RUTM sob.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Wishful thinking ….

Unless they get absolutely stomped by the Bills in the WC game and I mean a historic ass whoopin - like 70-0 , it aint happening and really , that might not get the job done.

MistaRed

Rookie
If I had a choice I’d pick Lincoln Riley but barring a historic asswhoopin in the playoffs, O’Brien ain’t going anywhere.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I'd be in on: Matt Rhule, Bienemy, Roman, Mike McCarthy, Chris Peterson (WASH coach), Brohm (Purdue) .. Lincoln Riley (almost a shoe in for the Dallas Cowboy job), Byron Leftwich, John DeFilippo, Mike Leach (more of a fantasy for selfish reasons LOL), Ron Rivera,

just to name a few LOL

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
We’re complaining about O’Brien running the ball too much. And then saying Greg Roman should be the head coach?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
We’re complaining about O’Brien running the ball too much. And then saying Greg Roman should be the head coach?
Roman offers a more creative way to to deploy a running game. It is a big part of winning football, controlling the clock and maintaining balance, but OBriens philosophy is RUN INTO THAT WALL NO MATTER WHAT and even if we dont gain yardage we are softening up the defense.

Roman will line up wishbone/triple option with his two QBs and a RB - and then STILL run up the middle but it gives defenses a shitton of looks to have to account for. What you want to do to a defense is confuse them, and Roman provides that and then some.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Roman offers a more creative way to to deploy a running game. It is a big part of winning football, controlling the clock and maintaining balance, but OBriens philosophy is RUN INTO THAT WALL NO MATTER WHAT and even if we dont gain yardage we are softening up the defense.

Roman will line up wishbone/triple option with his two QBs and a RB - and then STILL run up the middle but it gives defenses a shitton of looks to have to account for. What you want to do to a defense is confuse them, and Roman provides that and then some.
Roman’s offense works when you can make the QB an integral part of the running game. Like Kaepernick or Jackson. Is that what we want to do with Watson? Just as he signs a $30 million a year extension?

Roman is where he should be. He should not be here.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Wishful thinking ….

Unless they get absolutely stomped by the Bills in the WC game and I mean a historic ass whoopin - like 70-0 , it aint happening and really , that might not get the job done.
Losing 35-3 would get a few folks riled up. LOL

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I'd be in on: Matt Rhule, Bienemy, Roman, Mike McCarthy, Chris Peterson (WASH coach), Brohm (Purdue) .. Lincoln Riley (almost a shoe in for the Dallas Cowboy job), Byron Leftwich, John DeFilippo, Mike Leach (more of a fantasy for selfish reasons LOL), Ron Rivera,

just to name a few LOL
Not a fan of retreads. I feel we have the Rivera and McCarthy level guys, not a fan of DeFilippo. Peterson's teams are always prepared, loved his teams at Boise. Riley and Dabo interest the heck out of me, would they come. Bienemy interests me, I think he gets it and more of a WC guy. Rhule and Brohm seem high risk, high reward, worth consideration. Rhule had a cup of coffee in the NFL with the Giants OL, but really built up from scratch Temple and Baylor. Brohm, not feeling his resume for a NFL HC gig yet.

Our coach seems to have hit his ceiling. Others would clamor for this level of success, but if you don't aim high, you never get there

mussop

Hall of Fame
I am okay with O'Brien as head coach and GM as long as McNair does two things...

1. Hire a real OC and tell O'Brien to stay out of the offense.
2. Hire someone to help O'Brien with clock management, challenges, and game awareness.

But if that wouldn't happen, I am for firing the stubborn RUTM sob.
This. Everything has to go right in the playoffs To have a legit chance at the trophy. BOBs complete lack of game awareness and his horrible game/time management is just big of an anchor. Six years and he still SUCKS at those aspects.

He either hires an OC and gives up control of the offence or he hits the road and let’s his ego hold back some other team. There is no defence of this. 11 times out of 13 we ran on first down against the best run defense in the NFL that has the worst pass defense. Bring someone in or get the f%#k out.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

just to name a few LOL
I thought Jerrah was trying to get Urban Myer & Riley was going to the Redskins.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I thought Jerrah was trying to get Urban Myer & Riley was going to the Redskins.

Mike Leach .... me too ! I'm guilty as well. Pro Football is entertainment. What would happen if we played every game to a 3 to 2 victory ? That's for the purists that believe that only the victories matter .... 16 and 0 would be great .... for a while. Soon their fan base would diminish .... they'd be forced to close up shop. Offense and points on the board .... 50 per game ! I have always loved offense !

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Kirk Ferentz, Iowa.
He's already making 4.5M, but more problematic is that his contract goes through 2026.
He's having too much fun there, it will take heck of a lot to lure him + the buy out.
Instant offensive line and TE upgrade.

That's much safer than any offensive "genius" out there can bring at the moment, including Riley and Dabo Sweeny, both are already earning a whole lot more than Ferentz.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I have my wish HC but if I had to pull in anew HC, I think taking Harbaugh from Michigan could be the easier task. Plus, Harbaugh is an NFL ready HC who could easily build a solid NFL coaching staff. I wouldn't mind watching Harbaugh build an offense around Watson. Harbaugh could have personnel calls but I wouldn't want him trying to wear the GM hat as well.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I have my wish HC but if I had to pull in anew HC, I think taking Harbaugh from Michigan could be the easier task.
Can you explain this? Makes no sense to me and I haven't had time to get drumk yet... or is that the problem?

Who is your 'wish HC'?

austins23

Hall of Fame
Can you explain this? Makes no sense to me and I haven't had time to get drumk yet... or is that the problem?

Who is your 'wish HC'?
Harbaugh, from Michigan.
That's the only part I understood
He’s saying if we were after a hc, he’d prefer Harbaugh which probably would be easier to pull away from Michigan. :)
Except he prefaced it all with
You guys....I think I'm more confused now than ever. Drunk thread, here I come!

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
You guys....I think I'm more confused now than ever. Drunk thread, here I come!
If anyone has followed my multiple post(s)......I've stated many times that I would put a big offer on the table for Dabo Sweeney.....my "wish" for HC. I know the probability of him leaving Clemson is slim but as I mentioned in another post.....you wouldn't know what it takes to get him to the table if you don't ask.

If Sweeney was to turn down a rediculous offer, then I would make a push for Harbaugh of Michigan. Harbaugh has a proven NFL record and has been successful at every stop in his college coaching career. I really thought A&M should've pursued him before he settled on Stanford. I wanted the Texans to pursue him before he landed in SF. I think he could be looking at NFL opportunities and only hope that Cal would kick the tires if Jim wants to make the move.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
The Texans and Coach BOB have won the AFC South four out of the last five years. This could be the Browns or the Jags that reside in Houston.
but your post does nothing to settle the unease and disgust that I have. At some point potential becomes unfulfilled potential.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Mike Leach .... me too ! I'm guilty as well. Pro Football is entertainment. What would happen if we played every game to a 3 to 2 victory ? That's for the purists that believe that only the victories matter .... 16 and 0 would be great .... for a while. Soon their fan base would diminish .... they'd be forced to close up shop. Offense and points on the board .... 50 per game ! I have always loved offense !
Not Leach. When he was at T. Tech he could be had so easily, and he hasn't improved.