Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 Training Camp

C’mon. Man. You seem like a guy that’s held a real job before. In the corporate world we all have had signature authority at some level in a budget. The bigger the budget cut, the higher the authority sets. Clowney’s contract sits in Cal’s Lap and nobody else’s. You know Cal has told his GM team to dismiss any questions regarding anything Clowney. It’s why NOTHING but speculation and rumors abound. It’s just OB’s way of saying “next question”. No matter how he says it someone will be butt hurt. But Cal no doubt is steering this ship.

Not buying this, BoB has recently said something along the lines of he has a say in all personal decisions. Now I for one think he meant since Gaine was fired but that’s a different debate. I don’t think Cal is so arrogant as to be making these calls alone otherwise why not just declare himself the GM and be Jerry Jones 2.0. Not like anyone could stop him.

Cal maybe steering the ship but BoB is the navigator right now. The very idea that he has no idea about the Clowney trade rumors or what the Texans plan is either ludicrous or worrying for BoB because it means he’s been cut way way out of the loop.

I give him credit for bringing in Crennel and getting out of his way. Now if he could do that with an OC...

I think you have it backwards

giphy.gif

No, no that would be you slim. You're in here debating crap that noone has even been disputing bro. Pulling out every qualifier & excuse for the defense & doing the opposite for the offense.

Not buying this, BoB has recently said something along the lines of he has a say in all personal decisions. Now I for one think he meant since Gaine was fired but that’s a different debate. I don’t think Cal is so arrogant as to be making these calls alone otherwise why not just declare himself the GM and be Jerry Jones 2.0. Not like anyone could stop him.

Cal maybe steering the ship but BoB is the navigator right now. The very idea that he has no idea about the Clowney trade rumors or what the Texans plan is either ludicrous or worrying for BoB because it means he’s been cut way way out of the loop.
OB clearly stated that he has had the same level of input on personnel decisions as he has had all along, whether the GM was RS or BG.

I’m sure OB and everybody on that GM team know exactly the current situation. But I have no doubt at all that Cal has put a muffler on the issue. There are a lot of dollars at stake in this situation no matter the direction it takes. Why does his style of dismissing that question bother you? He’s pretty blunt most of the time. He gets hammered here for being blunt and dismissive. Doesn’t matter. I was in O&g and there were ALWAYS possible acquisitions at large. Needless to say it was very f-ing clear that you never spoke about it. NEVER. This is different? Nope.

This is basically how it is a lot of the time. The defense has to get out of bad positions the offense puts them in

My friend, you're living in the past. Our defense has not been the "good" defense we've been accustomed to since Wade got here.

First round picks going to offense, bargain FAs, the last first round pick the defense got hasn't been healthy... we're running on fumes man.

On one of the TD drives, the eagles started in Texans territory because Watson was sacked and fumbled.

O'Brien also inexplicably went for it on 4th and 9 in the 4th quarter in long field goal range (the Texans were up 29-16 and ended up losing by 3). You either kick the fg or punt there.

The eagles were also something like 4-4 going for it on 4th down and converted a couple of 3rd and longs on the last drive. That's not really a defense of the defense but also showed there was some bad luck involved (as well as an imploding secondary).

So no that games not really an example of the defense letting down the offense

This whole post is an excuse train for the defense...even though you try to downplay it as such. I mean "bad luck".....really? the opposing offense going 4-4 on 4th down down doesn't happen to good defenses. Good defenses get off the field.

You also like to conveniently ignore the situations. The seattle game in 2017, the pats game in 2017, the eagles game 2018 & the 2nd Colts game in 2018....A good defense stops their opponent in those end of game situations. Our defense failed in every single 1 of those end of game drives. Good defenses don't give up those drives & the situation has to be taken into account when you grade them. That is something the stats you use don't capture. What the offense & defense did prior doesn't matter. What are they doing inthe most crucial times in those games? The evidence says they're not living up to their billing if stopping/limiting the offense is their foremost primary job.

Finally, field position for both offense & defense isn't just attributed to the defense getting TO's..its most often attributed to ST & you very often have held it against the offense in several posts but you don't do the same for the defense. 50% of Daniels punts last year he dropped inside the 20 for the defense....that made him top 5. You really don't think that had any positive effect on the defense? You're either being obtuse are naive...I think both.

There are tons of other examples, but you get the point. Stats don't capture everything.

See, like it or not, he's responsible for the performance of both the offense & defense falls under him as HEAD COACH...not Crennel. So you choose.

Actually, RAC is assistant HC, defense.

I don't think O'Brien has any meaningful input on Defense.

BO'b: I think we should try Dylan Cole at NT."

RAC: "Yeah, I'll take that into consideration." (not)

Kid rushed himself back & its the pressure of competing that rushes these guys back. What's the saying, can't make the club in the tub. Besides, i don't think he was making the 53 man anyway. Akins & Fells both flashed last game.

Lol you think their 3rd round pick isn’t going to make the roster because two other players “flashed” in the first preseason game.

Actually, RAC is assistant HC, defense.

I don't think O'Brien has any meaningful input on Defense.

BO'b: I think we should try Dylan Cole at NT."

RAC: "Yeah, I'll take that into consideration." (not)

right...made this point some time ago about Crennel sharing some of the blame for decisions being made as well....what i got was them moving the goal posts about "oh, that's just a title...he really doesn't have anything to do with the bad personnel decisions...that's all BoB" So which is it?

Lol you think their 3rd round pick isn’t going to make the roster because two other players “flashed” in the first preseason game.

No, b/c they both flashed last year in the regular season, have been in the system for 2 years now...& they flashed in the preseason game & are healthy....at least 1 of them anyway. Besides, i clarified that if Warring makes it, he'll likely be dropped on the IR designated to return later in the season at the expense of 1 of the other TE's.

right...made this point some time ago about Crennel sharing some of the blame for decisions being made as well....what i got was them moving the goal posts about "oh, that's just a title...he really doesn't have anything to do with the bad personnel decisions...that's all BoB" So which is it?

I blame RAC for colvin, but he gets credit for the depth and good draft picks. Roby looks good in camp.

Also O'Brien gets blame for hogging all the picks and money for the offense. Trading a second rounder instead of just cutting Osweiler? Smh

No, b/c they both flashed last year in the regular season, have been in the system for 2 years now...& they flashed in the preseason game & are healthy....at least 1 of them anyway. Besides, i clarified that if Warring makes it, he'll likely be dropped on the IR designated to return later in the season at the expense of 1 of the other TE's.

Ummm, first year for the blocking Fells, but he did flash some hands

I blame RAC for colvin, but he gets credit for the depth and good draft picks. Roby looks good in camp.

Also O'Brien gets blame for hogging all the picks and money for the offense. Trading a second rounder instead of just cutting Osweiler? Smh

What in the blue hell are you talking about. Why don't you actually do some research, we have spent almost all our high draft picks on defense except for Fuller and Watson.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans_draft_history

As for Osweiler you really beleive that BoB would be allowed to cut him without Smith signing off on it? You really beleive Smith would be willing to just cut him after the headlines his signing made?

Man you are getting more and more delusional when it comes to Bill O'Brien. Next you'll be linking him to JFK.

What in the blue hell are you talking about. Why don't you actually do some research, we have spent almost all our high draft picks on defense except for Fuller and Watson.

As for Osweiler you really beleive that BoB would be allowed to cut him without Smith signing off on it? You really beleive Smith would be willing to just cut him after the headlines his signing made?

Man you are getting more and more delusional when it comes to Bill O'Brien. Next you'll be linking him to JFK.

OB on the hill!

Lol so you think trading a second rounder to avoid bad headlines is worth it?

It took OBrien like 5 picks and that massive Osweiler contract to find his QB. He traded 3 picks for strong. He brought in Jeff Allen and kelemente. He drafted xsf and Martin with high picks. He's drafted tons of gadget and speed players.

How many picks has he wasted looking for his Gronk?

All a big waste because we all agree the offense is bad.

Last edited:
This whole post is an excuse train for the defense...even though you try to downplay it as such. I mean "bad luck".....really? the opposing offense going 4-4 on 4th down down doesn't happen to good defenses. Good defenses get off the field.

You also like to conveniently ignore the situations. The seattle game in 2017, the pats game in 2017, the eagles game 2018 & the 2nd Colts game in 2018....A good defense stops their opponent in those end of game situations. Our defense failed in every single 1 of those end of game drives. Good defenses don't give up those drives & the situation has to be taken into account when you grade them. That is something the stats you use don't capture. What the offense & defense did prior doesn't matter. What are they doing inthe most crucial times in those games? The evidence says they're not living up to their billing if stopping/limiting the offense is their foremost primary job.

Finally, field position for both offense & defense isn't just attributed to the defense getting TO's..its most often attributed to ST & you very often have held it against the offense in several posts but you don't do the same for the defense. 50% of Daniels punts last year he dropped inside the 20 for the defense....that made him top 5. You really don't think that had any positive effect on the defense? You're either being obtuse are naive...I think both.

There are tons of other examples, but you get the point. Stats don't capture everything.

So basically you like DVOA and PFF grades because they take that stuff into account

Lol so you think trading a second rounder to avoid bad headlines is worth it?

It took OBrien like 5 picks and that massive Osweiler contract to find his QB. He traded 3 picks for strong. He brought in Jeff Allen and kelemente. He drafted xsf and Martin with high picks. He's drafted tons of gadget and speed players.

How many picks has he wasted looking for his Gronk?

All a big waste because we all agree the offense is bad.

So in your mind we have not had a GM or anybody that decides any trades or personal decisions except BoB since the day he got here. In your mind he is solely responsible for all the F ups that this team has had.

I honestly don't know how to talk to you because you have abandoned all logic, reason and rational discussion for blind hate.

So in your mind we have not had a GM or anybody that decides any trades or personal decisions except BoB since the day he got here. In your mind he is solely responsible for all the F ups that this team has had.

I honestly don't know how to talk to you because you have abandoned all logic, reason and rational discussion for blind hate.

Obrien recently said he has as much say on personnel as he always did. Meaning a lot

I can't believe people are still blaming Rick

So basically you like DVOA and PFF grades because they take that stuff into account

Lol, not at all what I said. I’m perfectly capable of watch a game and ascertaining most things that u seem to need a metric to parse out. & just b/c DVOA or whatever is all we have doesn’t mean it’s a sound metric to use effectively. Stats have some nerds believing Lebron James is the greatest player to ever play. But we.......most of us here saw MJ play and u don’t need a stat to tell u that guy is the GOAT. Likewise QB rating, garbage in, garbage out.

Using DVOA and other stats in my posts is only an attempt to meet you at your level.

Obrien recently said he has as much say on personnel as he always did. Meaning a lot

I can't believe people are still blaming Rick

OB saying he has consistently had a voice in the process doesn't automatically equate to having the deciding voice or even the biggest voice.

McNair was an established owner. Smith was an established GM. OB's authority may have grown over the years, especially after Smith left and Gaine came in, but do you honestly think that they hired a rookie head coach and gave him the deciding authority in all personnel matters? Well, you probably do because it fits your personal hatred of all things OB, but no rational person with an objective viewpoint believes that OB has been The Man since he stepped in the door.

OB saying he has consistently had a voice in the process doesn't automatically equate to having the deciding voice or even the biggest voice.

McNair was an established owner. Smith was an established GM. OB's authority may have grown over the years, especially after Smith left and Gaine came in, but do you honestly think that they hired a rookie head coach and gave him the deciding authority in all personnel matters? Well, you probably do because it fits your personal hatred of all things OB, but no rational person with an objective viewpoint believes that OB has been The Man since he stepped in the door.

I think it's pretty obvious that he did have some say when he got here, but clearly has much more power now.

I think it's pretty obvious that he did have some say when he got here, but clearly has much more power now.

I agree with this, I think the biggest thing he had say in was our QB carousel and he wanted Hoyer and Mallet. Both were at NE and both fit more the style of QB that BoB has seemed to prefer which is why I do blame him for the QB issues we have had. However the issues with who we have drafted, or not in this case, for the line and any problems on D, and yes there have been some hence the reason we can't stop the air game, is not all on him. Keeping Devlin that's on him, guys like Martin and XFS being busts not so much. The line we had when he got here falling apart, the only possible one you could put that one him about is Brooks and even that is arguable.

BoB has plenty of issues and has done plenty of actual, provable things that you can blame him for and make a case for him being fired with. This blaming everything and anything on him and saying he is both the biggest idiot in football while also being an evil mastermind that has taken over the entire Texans organization just makes people sound irrational.

Martin and xsf were not on him? So he didn't want them or he wasn't involved in the draft?

Not buying it. Rick was getting the coaches the guys they wanted. So was gaine. Now OBrien and the chaplain are doing it.

I remember OBrien being excited for trading 3 picks for jaelen strong. I remember the excitement over the speed draft when he finally had all his guys. I remember the excitement for last year when he finally had his QB healthy with a full training camp.

Same results every year. In fact the offense hasn't improved much from Hoyer and Osweiler to Watson, which is sad. Partly because OBrien keeps downgrading the ol, because he keeps running Lamar middle on second and long, because he doesn't use play action enough, because his slow developing routes suck.

And the news out of training camp is the offense looks bad again.

His favorite play

@PatDStat: Texans up the gut with Millwrb first down. Looked like at least a six yard gain. #Texans #Lions

Watt has been a beast all training camp

@PatDStat: JJ just works Wagner. Sack. Patricia is yelling at Watt for not letting the play go. Watt and Patricia exchanging words. #Texans #Lions

@PatDStat: Strong day for the #Texans today. Comparable to their work in Green Bay. Day one was up and down then on day two. Looked much better on the field.

@PatDStat: OB mentions the #Texans were 6-for-6 passing in the red zone with Deshaun Watson and the first team offense.

Don't disagree. I just don't think that an owner who forced Wade Phillips on Kubiak is the same owner who just handed the reigns over to OB the moment he walked in door as is being asserted.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-t...att-patricia-at-joint-practice-173617566.html Follow all the action from around the NFL's training camps right here.

J.J. Watt, Matt Patricia exchange ‘pleasantries’
Texans star J.J. Watt was showing off some serious moves in a joint practice with the Detroit Lions, and it apparently got to be too much for Lions coach Matt Patricia.

After burning tackle Rick Wagner and “sacking” Matthew Stafford during a drill, the defensive end had some words with Patricia that can’t be printed.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-t...att-patricia-at-joint-practice-173617566.html Follow all the action from around the NFL's training camps right here.

J.J. Watt, Matt Patricia exchange ‘pleasantries’
Texans star J.J. Watt was showing off some serious moves in a joint practice with the Detroit Lions, and it apparently got to be too much for Lions coach Matt Patricia.

After burning tackle Rick Wagner and “sacking” Matthew Stafford during a drill, the defensive end had some words with Patricia that can’t be printed.

Heard that earlier and I can't figure out what Patricia was crying about...

@AaronWilson_NFL: Day off for Matt Kalil, Roderick Johnson steps in at LT, Tytus Howard runs with twos behind Senio Kelemete for one day at LG: https://t.co/6N9ZGa0Ffx

Could me nothing.
Could mean a lot.

If I had a player pegged as starter though, I'd probably keep him there and wouldn't suddenly relegate him to back up. Maybe sending the rookie a message to not get too complacent.

Now, I've been ok with the pick thinking he was at least going to start at LG. If he is a back up LG with as bad as this line has been I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.

Sounds like there's no serious shot of him starting at LT since Kalhlil was out and they bumped Johnson up and made him a back up guard.

Back