Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 Texans Player Visits, Pro Days, etc.

That's disingenuous. The only reason Howard didn't end up in the SEC was because he was physically a late bloomer. He has the physical tools, now. I know you're a big fan of Dalton Risner, right? How many NFL caliber edge rushers did he see in the Big 12 over his career? Not to mention, K-State passes less frequently than almost any other Power 5 school. You don't think Risner will need pro coaching?

I'm not defending or trashing Devlin. But, you're making a case to not take any o-linemen in the draft. Because they need pro coaching. Does that make sense to you?

Terron Armstead is possibly the best LT in the league....played at Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

That's disingenuous. The only reason Howard didn't end up in the SEC was because he was physically a late bloomer. He has the physical tools, now. I know you're a big fan of Dalton Risner, right? How many NFL caliber edge rushers did he see in the Big 12 over his career? Not to mention, K-State passes less frequently than almost any other Power 5 school. You don't think Risner will need pro coaching?

I'm not defending or trashing Devlin. But, you're making a case to not take any o-linemen in the draft. Because they need pro coaching. Does that make sense to you?

I'm a big fan of Dillard and Williams and I think Risner can play RT at a better level than Lamm did. But if they draft Risner I think it's with the idea of playing him at RG with Fulton playing C and Henderson playing RT with Martin/Rankin fighting it out for LG. I know that's wishful thinking but that's what I would do then find a a way to draft Little in the 2nd Rd.

Your right though I've got no faith in Devlin to do any of the things I described or his ability Devlop any small school guy that needs a lot of work no matter how talented Howard is.

Cromer developed Armstead who was raw but athletically gifted and Devlin is no Cromer.

I'm a big fan of Dillard and Williams and I think Risner can play RT at a better level than Lamm did. But if they draft Risner I think it's with the idea of playing him at RG with Fulton playing C and Henderson playing RT with Martin/Rankin fighting it out for LG. I know that's wishful thinking but that's what I would do then find a a way to draft Little in the 2nd Rd.

Your right though I've got no faith in Devlin to do any of the things I described or his ability Devlop any small school guy that needs a lot of work no matter how talented Howard is.

Cromer developed Armstead who was raw but athletically gifted and Devlin is no Cromer.

Devlin will be starting his 3rd season with Davenport......what are our expectations this season?

Then he needs to be smarter and get rid of the ball sooner.

Right

And I do agree with you, but as long as Davenport and his slow ass feet are playing LT Watson better be spending this offseason figuring out how to get rid of the ball quicker

62 sacks and probably over 150 hits, he wont survive next season.

Right

And I do agree with you, but as long as Davenport and his slow ass feet are playing LT Watson better be spending this offseason figuring out how to get rid of the ball quicker

62 sacks and probably over 150 hits, he wont survive next season.
I think we are all concerned about our poor oline performance and noone moreso than FO.
I reckon they will attempt to upgrade just like they tried last offseason and I also believe they will take other obvious measures as well.
Nobody wants their franchise QB getting abused like that.

I think we are all concerned about our poor oline performance and noone moreso than FO.
I reckon they will attempt to upgrade just like they tried last offseason and I also believe they will take other obvious measures as well.
Nobody wants their franchise QB getting abused like that.

Did they?

Not so far

Michigan CB Xavier Crawford

Heard from a few teams that had him in the mid-4.3s, up from his 4.48 at the Combine. Apparently it was cold on the field in Indy when the corners ran, so expect improved times for guys at pro days. As for Crawford, the #Texans and #Saints will bring him in for pre-draft visits.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1106233075770494976
Sometimes it’s cold during actual games, Mike. I’ve heard that scouts add 0.1 seconds to handheld times, which would make the pro day time virtually identical to the combine time. And 4.48 is a perfectly acceptable time for a CB.

Sometimes it’s cold during actual games, Mike. I’ve heard that scouts add 0.1 seconds to handheld times, which would make the pro day time virtually identical to the combine time. And 4.48 is a perfectly acceptable time for a CB.

Only thing that worries me about Crawford is he has short arms.

5th/6th Rd pick.

I like Bunting from all of the small school guys.

Last edited:
Texans attending Clemson pro day today
We broke down how the Clemson Tiger offensive line played a huge part in their dynasty dismantling of Alabama (check that out here). Now we’ll zoom out to take a look and appreciate the whole career of one of the starters from that excellent OL.

Mitch Hyatt, the starting left tackle for all four of Clemson’s playoff teams, is often overlooked. He’s a quieter kid at a less glamorous position, so that makes sense, but his contributions can’t be understated.
https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/...ell-clemson-tigers-left-tackle-lt-mitch-hyatt
I dunno wonder how much interest the Texans have in OT Mitch Wyatt ?
He gets minimal pub, ratings seem to be in mid-rounds, maybe his name appears in the 2nd round of some mocks.
This guy played left tackle for the national champ and has been a 4-year starter at OT for Clemosn which is a significant accomplishmet.
Probably just lacks the athleticism to play in the big leagues and is another college OT headed to guard.
NFL franchise LTs are indeed a rare breed.

We broke down how the Clemson Tiger offensive line played a huge part in their dynasty dismantling of Alabama (check that out here). Now we’ll zoom out to take a look and appreciate the whole career of one of the starters from that excellent OL.

Mitch Hyatt, the starting left tackle for all four of Clemson’s playoff teams, is often overlooked. He’s a quieter kid at a less glamorous position, so that makes sense, but his contributions can’t be understated.
https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/...ell-clemson-tigers-left-tackle-lt-mitch-hyatt
I dunno wonder how much interest the Texans have in OT Mitch Wyatt ?
He gets minimal pub, ratings seem to be in mid-rounds, maybe his name appears in the 2nd round of some mocks.
This guy played left tackle for the national champ and has been a 4-year starter at OT for Clemosn which is a significant accomplishmet.
Probably just lacks the athleticism to play in the big leagues and is another college OT headed to guard.
NFL franchise LTs are indeed a rare breed.

I watched him a bunch, last year and the year before. One thing about Hyatt .... he never phones it in ! He always brings it, and leaves it all on the field .... heart of a lion type !

I watched him a bunch, last year and the year before. One thing about Hyatt .... he never phones it in ! He always brings it, and leaves it all on the field .... heart of a lion type !
Hey that's good to hear because I've been looking for some intel on this guy and since we know the Texans have a bias about Clemson players (Dabo Swinney refers to Houston as Clemson West), so I won't be surprised if Gaines moves on this guy next month.

Hey that's good to hear because I've been looking for some intel on this guy and since we know the Texans have a bias about Clemson players (Dabo Swinney refers to Houston as Clemson West), so I won't be surprised if Gaines moves on this guy next month.

Solid to great College athlete but does not translate to immediate success in NFL like everyone thinks or hopes. Seems more like a journeyman OL.

Solid to great College athlete but does not translate to immediate success in NFL like everyone thinks or hopes. Seems more like a journeyman OL.

I'd like to be able to say, with conviction, "That's what professional coaches are for" .... but, well, you know. Seriously though, I watched a segment on the NFL TV channel the other day. They absolutely raved over Munchak going to Denver as their offensive line coach .... it was like, he was going to take them to the Super Bowl, on his back .... not that he won't !

I dunno but don't you think that 4.48 is a pretty pedestrian time especially when you consider that we play guys like T Y Hilton ?
And BTW any non Indy combine time which basically means anything hand-timed is suspect as far as I'm concerned.

I dunno but don't you think that 4.48 is a pretty pedestrian time especially when you consider that we play guys like T Y Hilton ?
And BTW any non Indy combine time which basically means anything hand-timed is suspect as far as I'm concerned.

Jalen Ramsey ran a 4.41. 7 hundreds of a second over 40 yards. It's about more than straight line speed

and even 2 tenths of a second over 40 yards comes to what?

Jalen Ramsey ran a 4.41. 7 hundreds of a second over 40 yards. It's about more than straight line speed

There's a meaningful difference between 4.41 & 4.48 in the 40.
Besides Ramsey is a 10.5 100 meter & 21.4 200 meter sprinter so there's absolutely no question whatsoever about his long speed.

There's a meaningful difference between 4.41 & 4.48 in the 40.
Besides Ramsey is a 10.5 100 meter & 21.4 200 meter sprinter so there's absolutely no question whatsoever about his long speed.
He was also the 5th pick in the draft. The guy we're talking about is a possible Day 3 pick.

The estimate I understand is that the difference between 4.5 and 4.4 is a clear step in a straight line race...A clear step in the NFL is open.

The estimate I understand is that the difference between 4.5 and 4.4 is a clear step in a straight line race...A clear step in the NFL is open.

Unless your long like Richard Sherman and the Oakland Raider guy who went to Philly from Cal . That's whole new math equation . Length = how many steps .

Last edited:

Yeah but how often does a war run 40 yards in a straight line? My point is that being a step slower over 40 doesn't mean that you can't cover if you have good technique and knowledge of the routes

Yeah but how often does a war run 40 yards in a straight line? My point is that being a step slower over 40 doesn't mean that you can't cover if you have good technique and knowledge of the routes

This usually takes time.

Rookies struggle, See: KJax

Right those guys cover a yard each tenth of second - same distance covered if the guy is short and squatty or long and lengthy if the time is the same obviously.
So a 4.47 corner covering a 3.36 WR can be a mismatch. So 40 times are important for certain positions like folks playing corner back.

Agility and explosion are much more important than pure long speed in a CB. You need to be able to start and stop and change direction at speed. Fluid hips and quick feet.

Speed is definitely important, but if you can't hang with a WR in a phone booth then it doesn't matter how fast you are.

Correct...
Agility and explosion are much more important than pure long speed in a CB. You need to be able to start and stop and change direction at speed. Fluid hips and quick feet.

Speed is definitely important, but if you can't hang with a WR in a phone booth then it doesn't matter how fast you are.

Yes, this why there are only a relative few over 6'0" CB..and the non-physical skill is being able to read body language and anticipate moves.

This is the reason I really like David Long.

If you like him SteelB then I like him but could he be ready to start this fall in the NFL and be a competent CB ?

Yes, IMHO

Very smooth and showed great quickness in the drills as well as running a 4.46.

WolverineFan turned me on to him and he's one of my favorites He can speak better about him than I ever could.

I had him in the 1st rd of my mock. All of the mocks have him there at 54/55, if he's there at 54 I'm running the card with his name on it to the commish.

Texans will surely be at the UH pro day and I'm fairly certain that CB, Isaiah Johnson will be the guy most are there to see. I've liked Johnson from day one b/c he's got the size, speed and physicality I'd like to see at CB.

No idea if CB, Fields (Clemson) is still being figured in towards the back of the draft but I think this guy would be a solid pickup late, RD6 or RD7.

Texans will surely be at the UH pro day and I'm fairly certain that CB, Isaiah Johnson will be the guy most are there to see. I've liked Johnson from day one b/c he's got the size, speed and physicality I'd like to see at CB.

No idea if CB, Fields (Clemson) is still being figured in towards the back of the draft but I think this guy would be a solid pickup late, RD6 or RD7.

Ed Oliver?

Yes Ed Oliver.....wouldn't it be crazy if he fell to 23? The Texans could run a front of Reader, Oliver and Watt or better yet, a 4-3 featuring, Clowney, Reader, Oliver and Watt.

You said that most would be there to see the CB who is at best a 2nd rnd pick, I disagree. Most will be there to see Ed Oliver

Yes Ed Oliver.....wouldn't it be crazy if he fell to 23? The Texans could run a front of Reader, Oliver and Watt or better yet, a 4-3 featuring, Clowney, Reader, Oliver and Watt.
He's certainly a good DT prospect but too many other needs so I say pass on Oliver @ #23 if on our Board.

I don't think I could pass on Oliver if he's there at 23. I know we have a lot of needs but a value like that? He could be an elite pass rusher and an elite defender.

With:

Watt/Clowney/Mercilus/Reader/McKinney?

Glad I'm not the one who would have to make that decision.

I'd get Oliver at 23, two OL at 54 and 55 (if they were of value) and a CB in the 3rd.

He's certainly a good DT prospect but too many other needs so I say pass on Oliver @ #23 if on our Board.

Texans could get some pretty solid trade back offers if they weren't interested in selecting Oliver at 23.

Back