Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 Offensive Schemes

Again we do not have any type of offensive scheme with this regime. Dude is very clueless to what exactly he wants to do. He wants to change up the offense determining on what defense he is playing. Man bump that, run your offense and make the defense adjust to you.

This dude is ash backwards.

Does anyone remember when Watson first came in for us, we ran a pro style under center offense. Watson exploded, he thrived with the under center play action/boot leg. Then OB has to go full blown college offensive scheme for whatever ******* reason. OB you sir are an idiot.

Again we do not have any type of offensive scheme with this regime. Dude is very clueless to what exactly he wants to do. He wants to change up the offense determining on what defense he is playing. Man bump that, run your offense and make the defense adjust to you.

This dude is ash backwards.

thats the problem, he ISNT changing up his offense to adjust to the defense. He goes out there with a script of plays and he runs those NO MATTER WHAT. He's a conceited coach who thinks his "system" is the best thing since sliced bread and then his ass gets carved up by good defensive coaches.

thats the problem, he ISNT changing up his offense to adjust to the defense. He goes out there with a script of plays and he runs those NO MATTER WHAT. He's a conceited coach who thinks his "system" is the best thing since sliced bread and then his ass gets carved up by good defensive coaches.
Having a set of 1st qtr scripted plays isn't, of itself, a bad thing. IF those scripted plays are used to uncover a weakness or determine who's single covered so that weakness or defensive info is exploited later in the game.
It's that 'exploit a found weakness' part that seems to be missing much of the time.

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1184904434100387842?s=21

RPO’s are good-they’re great when you build in the “right” pass concepts. The @HoustonTexans did that with Watson & it’s part of the reason he was kept clean & won. The last play by Hop is pretty sick...

just further proof that these “open receivers” were not always there. There has been a EUREKA moment in the offensive room to use everything at their disposal. Kudos to OBrien and his team for adapting. Kudos to WAtson for executing.

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1184904434100387842?s=21

just further proof that these “open receivers” were not always there. There has been a EUREKA moment in the offensive room to use everything at their disposal. Kudos to OBrien and his team for adapting. Kudos to WAtson for executing.

Love this post, but there were open receivers.

However putting in the RPO's forces Watson to get rid of the ball quickly and he's more comfortable running the RPO style offense. BOB made a wise choice to run the stuff Watson is most comfortable with and it really shows in he Texans offense.

Love this post, but there were open receivers.

However putting in the RPO's forces Watson to get rid of the ball quickly and he's more comfortable running the RPO style offense. BOB made a wise choice to run the stuff Watson is most comfortable with and it really shows in he Texans offense.

Out of 80 snaps we ran 4 RPOs. You are way overpaying this. O'Brien is still running his offense. Just added a few things.

Out of 80 snaps we ran 4 RPOs. You are way overpaying this. O'Brien is still running his offense. Just added a few things.

The offense has changed to 1-2 reads on one side of the field and if that's not there take off running, mixed in with 5-6 RPO's/straight up option plays.

That's not the offense BOB would like to run but it's the best offense for him to run with Watson as his QB and what most fans including me have been wishing he would do.

Kudos to BOB for finally getting around to making the changes.

The offense has changed to 1-2 reads on one side of the field and if that's not there take off running
Show some examples please... of where each play has only one or two reads.

Now if Watson has to run after two reads because the pocket collapsed....
well, I hope you're not saying that's by design.

Just watch his eyes this Sunday.

This guy keeps perpetuating a bogus opinion. Its basically a lie that is being facilitated by some Pro O'Brien supporters with some kind of clandestine knowledge of behind the scenes stuff. FAct is you can bring up the passing charts from not only this year, but every year so far for Watson and compare the charts with the passing grid and plainly see how Watson peppers the field. This whole ONE READ/ONE SIDE OF THE FIELD conspiracy started in college with Watson, and now its just a convenient bump.

https://premium.pff.com/nfl/players...e/passing/direction?season=2019&weekGroup=REG (might be behind paywall, cant rip the image sry)

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/pass/houston-texans/2019/week

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...lf-as-2017-drafts-top-qb-with-stellar-combine

"The biggest question that I've heard from different coaches was if I can change a protection, run the offense and recognize defensive coverages," Watson said last week in Indianapolis. "Every team I went to asked me those questions. I handled it well, answered the questions, and they were very impressed. They know that I'm not just some other quarterback that's running a spread offense. That [I'm a] guy that can operate, make good decisions and recognize what the defense is doing and be successful doing it."

Based on my own evaluation of Watson, I believe the people who are prepared to throw him in the heap of option quarterbacks that will require massive amounts of time to adapt to the NFL are mistaken. I believe there is a pre-packaged narrative about quarterbacks like these, and when one comes out who transcends the norm, whether it's Robert Griffin III or Marcus Mariota or Watson himself, it takes some teams too much time to differentiate. Which might explain the nugget in Breer's column that teams went back to see what they might have missed after talking with him.

While you do see a guy who will need some development and an offense tailored to his attributes when watching the tape, you also see a player with franchise-caliber potential under the right circumstances.

To illustrate my case, I'll do a little myth-busting and explain why I think Deshaun Watson is indeed the best quarterback in this class, and the one who's most ready to take the NFL leap.

Myth No. 1: He's a first-read guy

We'll dispel this one quickly. Yes, he sometimes locks onto his first read, and Clemson's offense had a lot of first-read open options, but it's quite common for NFL offensive coordinators to simplify the game with first-read options to help their young quarterbacks. Mike McCoy, now back in Denver as the Broncos' offensive coordinator after a stint as the Chargers' head coach, gained a ton of respect around the league by installing a heavy first-read offense to make Tim Tebow's NFL career possible for as long as it was.
Moreover, pegging Watson as a one-read guy is simply a canard.

Watson took what his offense gave him, and was able to, at times, expand beyond that in a field-awareness sense when he had to. His mobility factors into this, because when he runs bootlegs outside the pocket, he's cutting the field in half, forcing defenders to reset their coverages on improvised receiver routes outside of structure, and putting the advantage back on his shoulders.

If you don't think NFL quarterbacks do this all the time at a very high level, Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson would like a word with you.

Myth No. 2: He throws too many interceptions to be an NFL quarterback

College interceptions are funny things. Jameis Winston threw 18 of them in 2014, his final year at Florida State, and Matt Ryan threw 19 in 2007, his final year at Boston College. Neither total was representative of the player once he hit the NFL—Winston threw 15 picks in his first NFL season, and Ryan threw 11 in his. You have to watch the interceptions and discern what problems they project for the stats to be an indicator of anything.

The Clemson loss to Pitt is one that will give his detractors some fuel. There are times when Watson's footwork regresses, and his mechanics are inconsistent, and he'll start to throw from an uneven plane with inconsistent results. To me, the most worrisome of the three picks he threw in this game was the first one. Here, he not only locked onto his backside read, but he threw late after the coverage had converge

This late interception shows a different problem, and it's one Watson must correct over time before he'll have consistent NFL success: He is not consistent with his footwork and base. He makes "hop" throws in which he leaves his feet (which may be a function of not seeing downfield well at times), and he'll also throw flat-footed. Quarterbacks who throw from less than solid bases are prone to streaky play, because they ask their bodies to do too much in too many ways. From a physical perspective, quarterbacking is about consistency in mechanics above all.

Myth No. 3: He can't win consistently from the pocket

I hear this a lot, and while it's true that Watson struggles from the pocket at times, what I do like about his play is that he's not automatically driven to bail out of the pocket when he doesn't see what he likes. He does it at times, but it's not a default mechanism. In my mind, that makes it far easier for his NFL coaching staff to work with his pocket presence and mechanics.

Part of the reason I believe Watson struggles in the pocket at times is that he's just over 6'2", and there are plays when he doesn't see what he needs to see. And I believe that when he has trouble reading defenses, this is usually what is happening. He's not reading because he's not seeing.

Of course, this is the primary reason Russell Wilson lasted until the 75th overall pick in the 2012 draft—teams were concerned that at 5'10", he would be unable to see over the linemen blocking for him and the defenders tasked to stop his play. The Seahawks have adjusted to this potential flaw in a couple of ways: moving pockets to open up gaps to his front side and designed scrambles that allow him to get into space as quickly as possible. And when I say "designed," that's an important distinction: These scramble plays are built into the playbook. They are not random reactions to broken plays. The Redskins had these concepts ready for Robert Griffin III early in his career, and the Packers do this a ton with Aaron Rodgers.

Greg Cosell hit the nail on the head a few weeks ago, he stated the lack of modern passing concepts and Watsons mechanics as the biggest flaws and why there is still inconsistency.

Why do guys need to make stuff up, and further just blurt out BS without ANYTHING to validate their claim just pushes them further and further into TROLL TERRITORY.

Greg Cosell hit the nail on the head a few weeks ago, he stated the lack of modern passing concepts and Watsons mechanics as the biggest flaws and why there is still inconsistency.

Why do guys need to make stuff up, and further just blurt out BS without ANYTHING to validate their claim just pushes them further and further into TROLL TERRITORY.

Fake news. People trying to push own opinion through false narrative.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...lf-as-2017-drafts-top-qb-with-stellar-combine

Lol at "modern" passing concepts. Basically he's talking about:

rub routes - **** that's supposed to be illegal

option routes....where the defense more or less dictates the route you run...Which he obviously doesn't factor in that both qb and WR have to be on the same page & the fact that the defense may want you run a certain route into a certain defensive look they have set up. This is what Carolina did. They essentially set up their defense to take away the short stuff, make the WR's run longer, deeper routes thereby making DW4 hold the ball or make a riskier shorter throw into the teeth of their defense. Indy more or less does the same thing...which is why he struggles against them.

I think fundamentally it's all the same for Watson, darnold, or brady. If you hit the qb enough they make bad decisions and mechanics suffer.

Yeah sure, there's a helluva a lot more to it then that ,but that law holds true like gravity.

Lol at "modern" passing concepts. Basically he's talking about:

rub routes - **** that's supposed to be illegal

option routes....where the defense more or less dictates the route you run...Which he obviously doesn't factor in that both qb and WR have to be on the same page & the fact that the defense may want you run a certain route into a certain defensive look they have set up. This is what Carolina did. They essentially set up their defense to take away the short stuff, make the WR's run longer, deeper routes thereby making DW4 hold the ball or make a riskier shorter throw into the teeth of their defense. Indy more or less does the same thing...which is why he struggles against them.

If this is the playbook against the Texans' offense, how can the HC and OC help the WRs and QB? Because the Texans' offensive struggles against defenses like Carolina and the Colts have been going on before Watson was even drafted.

Last edited:
Don't know how to post videos and Sam knows this.

You can do the simplest thing though and use your 2 eyes. It's really not that hard to do.

All you have to do is copy the link and paste it .

Every QB does that, not just Watson, especially in this type of offense. But when he does have time in the pocket, he's very good at going through his progressions.

Back