Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 Offensive Schemes

The design of the play is to invite the rushers to over pursue …. Tunsil and Sharping didn't mishandle Bosa - all they are suppose to do is chip him , giving Watson an extra tic to get the ball out. In essence , Bosa is Watson's responsibility on that play - avoid him and get the ball to the RB.

#20 sniffed out the play from the get go and was in the RB's jersey - Watson couldn't throw the ball.

Sometimes you just gotta give the other guy some credit - this was one of those plays. Tip your hat to Jax #20.

The only mistake made on that play was by Watson - throwing it backwards.
I can see where you are coming from in theory but when I look at the coach's film in slow motion if Tunsil is supposed to chip him only why did Tunsil immediately go back towards Bosa when Bosa was already past him? I would think if Tunsil is to chip and release he would have been facing the other direction to get ready to block for the screen. I don't know what these assignments are but for this discussion I'd like to know your opinion on this: if Tunsil chips and releases and Sharping impedes Bosa, would Tunsil been able to get a hat on the DB thus making the play successful?

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Has anyone made a meme like the famous butt fumble? That was so bad it needs to be honored and ready to pull out. This will help keep DW4 humble! Love those guys, but that one was a sh!t show. Screens need to be disguised and called at the right time. Just overall horrible, but when I rewatched, minus this, they did have a pretty good game actually. Huge swing to give up the ball and give them 7 and momentum

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I gotta think BO'b wants to utilize Duke that way. Maybe Watson just prefers the downfield stuff.
You have to run the routes in order to become a qualified target. You watch how the Eagles used their RBs last night? Pederson is ahead of the curve in many departments, and maybe thats why he already has a ring, and even with an injured and suspect roster his teams will always be a threat. Bill is getting there though right? <chuckle>

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I rewatched the screen-fumble in the 1st on all-22. It boggles my mind how BOB's teams have struggled to run a simple RB screen. After watching the all-22, the problem may be were trying to run complex RB screens? The play design was actually to fake a play-action bootleg to the right, but then to turn around and throw an RB screen to the left. The play design doesn't make sense to me, there's such a thing as too many fakes & mis-directions, right? I mean why fake a handoff to the RB when you want to come right back to him? Why fake the play going left, when the play actually will be to the left? Maybe those that are smarter in play-design can explain it to me.
When it comes to RB screens, I wish someone on Kirby would simply look at the Eagles, Chiefs and Saints offense and duplicate at least 2 plays from each offense. It's amazing how Andy Reid has made RB screens a staple of his offenses and some NFL coaches cannot design, teach or implement something Reid seems to do with such ease.

https://twitter.com/fb_filmanalysis/status/1044258550376095750

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
When it comes to RB screens, I wish someone on Kirby would simply look at the Eagles, Chiefs and Saints offense and duplicate at least 2 plays from each offense. It's amazing how Andy Reid has made RB screens a staple of his offenses and some NFL coaches cannot design, teach or implement something Reid seems to do with such ease.

https://twitter.com/fb_filmanalysis/status/1044258550376095750
Our ol is to new and mismatched for such things.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
You have to run the routes in order to become a qualified target. You watch how the Eagles used their RBs last night? Pederson is ahead of the curve in many departments, and maybe thats why he already has a ring, and even with an injured and suspect roster his teams will always be a threat. Bill is getting there though right? <chuckle>
Look how wide open and simple this looks

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1177411490523090945

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I can see where you are coming from in theory but when I look at the coach's film in slow motion if Tunsil is supposed to chip him only why did Tunsil immediately go back towards Bosa when Bosa was already past him? I would think if Tunsil is to chip and release he would have been facing the other direction to get ready to block for the screen. I don't know what these assignments are but for this discussion I'd like to know your opinion on this: if Tunsil chips and releases and Sharping impedes Bosa, would Tunsil been able to get a hat on the DB thus making the play successful?

Highly doubtful you get a hat on the guy - Scharping tried. Notice as Tunsil is lost - the back chipped Bosa and released , Bosa is now in no mans land. Schapring recognized #20 as the guy that had to be blocked but couldn't get an angle. He was three yards up field and the back had just cleared Bosa.
Titus Howard was 3 yards beyond the LOS …. Illegal man downfield.

Bosa was right where you want a DL to be on that type of play - Lost behind the play once the ball is thrown.

That play was made by #20 …. even if Tunsil blew his blocking assignment. If #20 doesn't run get in the RB's jersey , that is at worst a short gain.

mws

Rookie
Since Kubiak went to the Vikings they have turned their offense up a couple of notches. I wish we had a really good offensive mind with the Texans (not even as head coach. I would settle for OC).

Look at how well the WC offenses perform. You have McVay with the Rams, Reid with the Chiefs, Shanahan with the 49ers are all 3-0 this year.

I really think Watson would thrive in a WC offense.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Since Kubiak went to the Vikings they have turned their offense up a couple of notches. I wish we had a really good offensive mind with the Texans (not even as head coach. I would settle for OC).

Look at how well the WC offenses perform. You have McVay with the Rams, Reid with the Chiefs, Shanahan with the 49ers are all 3-0 this year.

Sure , Watson might look good …. but those clowns blocking wouldn't.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I dont get everybody's love for the WC offense. I find it predictable.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I wish Texans had three to four plays that they could just do regardless of how the defense lined up.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

We could have had this guy. Instead we got this ******* brainless loser we have.

****. ****.
Was Lil Shanny available and ready to be a HC?

Knowing how Tricky Ricky was do you think Lil Shanny wanted the Texans job? I don't.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And still ended up as an avg HC.
Barking up the wrong tree if you believe i consider Kubiak anything more than avg HC.

Im saying he's been in Minnesota for less than a minute & has installed a functioning offense. Even though he didn't pick the QB, the OL, the WRs, the RB.... he coached the talent he was given & has two 200 yard rushing games under his belt in the first three games of the season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Barking up the wrong tree if you believe i consider Kubiak anything more than avg HC.

Im saying he's been in Minnesota for less than a minute & has installed a functioning offense. Even though he didn't pick the QB, the OL, the WRs, the RB.... he coached the talent he was given & has two 200 yard rushing games under his belt in the first three games of the season.
They drafted the best C in the draft this yr and drafted a very talented OT (O'Neil) last yr. Eflien who's playing OG was drafted highly the yr before along with signing Reiff in FA.

Their OL has a lot of investment/talent on it and should do well if they can stay healthy. There's not alot of proven depth.

Cousins will end up being their downfall. I cant believe a team gave him that much guaranteed $$$$. Suckers

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

He did the same thing in Baltimore. Completely turned around the offense in one year as OC.

When OBrien gets fired, he's gonna have to prove himself as an OC, and he'll fail just like he has here

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
To those on the outside looking in, he doesn't look like the failure you see
I think they were almost universally panned for their off-season moves. But I don't think people have realized how much OBrien has struggled as an OC.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
What the flying **** do we care about those on the outside looking in? You mean the dumb ass football fans who only watch Red Zone and have 6 fantasy leagues and think they have a grasp on what makes a legitimate team or offensive scheme? Are we supposed to be bending or lending any credence whatsoever to the opinions of those with only a vapid, superficial, and shallow understanding of Texans football?

I don't go around acting like I'm an expert on the ******* Lions. I'll leave that up to the people who watch them on a weekly basis.

"to those on the outside looking in" as if it ******* matters even AT ALL.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What the flying **** do we care about those on the outside looking in? You mean the dumb ass football fans who only watch Red Zone and have 6 fantasy leagues and think they have a grasp on what makes a legitimate team or offensive scheme? Are we supposed to be bending or lending any credence whatsoever to the opinions of those with only a vapid, superficial, and shallow understanding of Texans football?

I don't go around acting like I'm an expert on the ******* Lions. I'll leave that up to the people who watch them on a weekly basis.

There are alot of franchises that would be very happy with a 13-3 record in their last 16 games, despite some very real talent deficiencies.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

I was commenting on K Dogs statement that when OB is fired he would have to prove himself as an OC. The "other people " out there are the football decision makers, not some random fans or message board heroes

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
When OBrien gets fired, he's gonna have to prove himself as an OC, and he'll fail just like he has here
So you think he'd get another HC gig right after we fire him (not that I think we will)?

That's a rare thing for a head coach to be fired & go on to another HC gig. Especially a HC who is 1-3 in the playoffs.

If we fire him I'm sure he'll be hired as an OC somewhere & he'll have to prove himself if he's ever to get a 2nd HC job.

What do you think outsiders looking in think of O'Brien?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There are alot of franchises that would be very happy with a 13-3 record in their last 16 games, despite some very real talent deficiencies.
Any other time you'd be talking about 1st place losers. You either win the Super Bowl or you're a loser.

13-3 regular season across two seasons. Means nothing. Nothing to you, & nothing to HC in the NFL.

Not getting embarrassed in the playoffs. That means a lot to HCs & so far O'Brien has no idea what that feels like.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So you think he'd get another HC gig right after we fire him (not that I think we will)?

That's a rare thing for a head coach to be fired & go on to another HC gig. Especially a HC who is 1-3 in the playoffs.

If we fire him I'm sure he'll be hired as an OC somewhere & he'll have to prove himself if he's ever to get a 2nd HC job.

What do you think outsiders looking in think of O'Brien?
They see 3 division titles in 5 years and an overall winning record. With sub-par talent depth no less. 1-3 playoff record hurts, but lots of teams would take that in a heartbeat. Yeah, I think there is a very good chance he could go to another HC gig depending on what happens between now and when he gets fired

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yeah, I think there is a very good chance he could go to another HC gig depending on what happens between now and when he gets fired
Why?

Who was the last HC fired that went directly to a 2nd HC job?

That just doesn't happen. Unless he's had real success including a Super Bowl, it's not going to happen.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Arians?

We have differing opinions, and that's okay
Arians took a year off.

You're right, didn't have to take an OC gig, so I guess you're right in that.

Still, it's rare & I doubt anyone outside or inside has seen enough for O'Brien to treat him differently than 90% of fired HCs.

That's not a negative or criticism against O'Brien, just the way the NFL is.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Arians took a year off.

You're right, didn't have to take an OC gig, so I guess you're right in that.

Still, it's rare & I doubt anyone outside or inside has seen enough for O'Brien to treat him differently than 90% of fired HCs.

That's not a negative or criticism against O'Brien, just the way the NFL is.
Maybe he'll go back to the college ranks

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Can anyone explain why we have such a Jekyll and Hyde offense? We can look good for one half and see what works for this offense, and yet always regress back to disfunction.

WTF?
It just sucks. Every sucky offense looks good on occasion