Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 NFL Power Rankings

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Week 1 Power Rankings

We finally made it.

Starting Thursday night at Soldier Field and continuing through Monday, 32 teams begin their quest. The ultimate goal? Be the last team standing in South Florida on the first Sunday in February -- Super Bowl LIV champions...

RANK

HOUSTON TEXANS

Previous rank: No. 14

OK, so did the Texans get better in 2019 after this weekend? That's what these two blockbuster trades come down to...

Last edited:

eriadoc

Texan-American
That's a lot to give up to reach #14 on the power rankings. I know, power rankings don't mean jack, but it does show the consensus opinion on the trades. They have a lot of proving people wrong to do.

pappy

Waterboy
Sure, the Texans are better for the trades this year, but the future is a dumpster fire. With no 1st round pick for 2 years, how are they going to get Trevor Lawrence?
If the Texans win it all this year those first round picks will be garbage !

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
That's a lot to give up to reach #14 on the power rankings. I know, power rankings don't mean jack, but it does show the consensus opinion on the trades. They have a lot of proving people wrong to do.
They're actually ranked 13, not 14.

edo783

Hall of Fame
Can't remember who wrote it, but one guy had the fins at 32 and is at 31 in power ranking. Fins I buy, but no freaking way!

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Power Rankings shouldn't even be released until after Week 3 is in the books. What the hail are analysts basing their rankings on......a Magic 8 Ball? Most teams didn't even play their starters during the Pre Season games.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Power Rankings shouldn't even be released until after Week 3 is in the books. What the hail are analysts basing their rankings on......a Magic 8 Ball? Most teams didn't even play their starters during the Pre Season games.
It's just like draft grades. They're going off what they know about new coaches, players, injuries, camp hold outs, etc...

We all do it. We predict wins basically on how we think our offseason went.

Week 3 we can see what's what. Who knows what they're talking about & who's talking out their as

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I find power rankings useless all year. Better imo to just look at betting markets where real money is on the line.

By odds to win the super bowl, the Texans are tied at 16th with the Panthers. Slightly ahead of the Jags.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I find power rankings useless all year. Better imo to just look at betting markets where real money is on the line.

By odds to win the super bowl, the Texans are tied at 16th with the Panthers. Slightly ahead of the Jags.
Betting odds are established to get the most money bet, not on who's the best

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Betting odds are established to get the most money bet, not on who's the best
They end up being pretty accurate because if they are way off on something then smart money will come in and kill them. There's also prediction markets where people can take both sides.

TD

Super Bowl Mascot
I agree. Every week two there is no way to know if week one upsets were because the underdog is better than expected or the favorite is worse. Once week two is in the books you have a better idea. It's why survivor football is so brutal the first couple of weeks, then not as bad.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

I agree with the sentiment ….

They did get better , on offense but they got worse on defense losing Clowney for next to nothing.

They may have gotten better overall …. but they didn't get better enough to be true contenders - I think that's the consensus and I believe it to be spot on.

pappy

Waterboy
I am not going to be one of those people to say clowney was a stud. He was in my opinion just another player . You add one and lose one , neither one going to matter much in the end. The question is are the Texans going to play a better game ? It seems most do not believe so ,I will wait and see .

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I find the betting markets & power rankings generally line up more or less. Ultimately both are based on a conglomerate of opinions.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not the most money, but equal amounts on both sides so the house isn't at risk.
Thinking out loud.

If I'm the house & I have one person with $100 on NYG & another with $100 on the 'boys, I keep $100 regardless who wins.

Is that right? Seems simple but I'm simple. Is that right?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Thinking out loud.

If I'm the house & I have one person with $100 on NYG & another with $100 on the 'boys, I keep $100 regardless who wins.

It is the odds that are offered on the bet that determines your profit or loss.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Thinking out loud.

Yes assuming the same line.

They also know who the smart betters are so I think they sometimes will take risk the same side as them

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I find the betting markets & power rankings generally line up more or less. Ultimately both are based on a conglomerate of opinions.
True, I wouldn't be surprised if they look at the Vegas odds before making their rankings.

TD

Super Bowl Mascot
Thinking out loud.

No...they keep the commission on both bets but pay out all the bets themselves. Most of the time you bet $110 to win $100. In your scenario the house takes $220 and pays out $200 to the winner. When the bets come in 50-50 like that the house enjoys risk-free commission.

mussop

Hall of Fame
OK, so did the Texans get better in 2019 after this weekend? That's what these two blockbuster trades come down to...
How is the clowney trade a blockbuster for us? There is no way our defense is better. You think our secondary looked bad last year? I’m scared what they will look like now that Watt will be double and triple teamed. Don’t have a lot of faith in Mercilous.

I do think the offense should look better but OB is calling plays so... deep down I really hope OB is the next Billacheck but just can’t see it. Hope for watt, Hopkins and Watson’s sake I’m wrong. Will gladly eat my words if I am. Until then I’m not going easy on this turd.

Texansballer74

The Marine
1. Pat's ( Superbowl Champs) still getting it done
2. Chiefs - the talent on this team is sick
3. Ravens- another deep talented team but on both sided
4. Cowboys- hate to say this but this team is serious. They're back!!!!
5. Packers- that bad man finally have both a defense and a running game.
6. Rams- very solid team
7. Bills- they are surprisingly good.
8. 49ers- wow they finally have a solid team all around.
9. Texans- we have the talent on both sides of the ball. If we continue to play like we did Sunday. Watch out.
10. Seahawks- this team is very scary. Watch Pete turn it up in the 2nd half of the season.
11. Colts- they're going to fight to the very end for that # 1 spot.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
1. Pat's ( Superbowl Champs) still getting it done
2. Chiefs - the talent on this team is sick
3. Ravens- another deep talented team but on both sided
4. Cowboys- hate to say this but this team is serious. They're back!!!!
5. Packers- that bad man finally have both a defense and a running game.
6. Rams- very solid team
7. Bills- they are surprisingly good.
8. 49ers- wow they finally have a solid team all around.
9. Texans- we have the talent on both sides of the ball. If we continue to play like we did Sunday. Watch out.
10. Seahawks- this team is very scary. Watch Pete turn it up in the 2nd half of the season.
11. Colts- they're going to fight to the very end for that # 1 spot.

I don't think the Bills or Ravens are that good.

Ravens should win their division …. but that's not saying much when you have the Browns , Bungles and a broken version of the Steelers.

Bills …. meh.

Rams are better than both ….

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I don't think the Bills or Ravens are that good.

Ravens should win their division …. but that's not saying much when you have the Browns , Bungles and a broken version of the Steelers.

Bills …. meh.

Rams are better than both ….
I agree on Bill's. L jack is real. Ravens should make a run to the playoffs.

austins23

Hall of Fame
1. Pat's ( Superbowl Champs) still getting it done - Still waiting for the Pats deal with the Devil to come due
2. Chiefs - the talent on this team is sick - Pretty good head coach/offensive minded guy
3. Ravens- another deep talented team but on both sided - Not sold just yet, but they should win the AFCN
4. Cowboys- hate to say this but this team is serious. They're back!!!! - No they are not back. Bad HC. They will fold like a cheap card table in the end.
5. Packers- that bad man finally have both a defense and a running game. - Rodgers, always a chance with him.
6. Rams- very solid team - See #2 above.
7. Bills- they are surprisingly good. - Let's see just how good they are this Sunday.
8. 49ers- wow they finally have a solid team all around. - See #'s 2 and 6 above.
9. Texans- we have the talent on both sides of the ball. If we continue to play like we did Sunday. Watch out. - DO NOT refer to #2,6 or 8. Consistency is the key with this team.
10. Seahawks- this team is very scary. Watch Pete turn it up in the 2nd half of the season. Probably do more with less than any team in the NFL
11. Colts- they're going to fight to the very end for that # 1 spot. - They will be a tough out.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Ranked in the middle of the league with a 2-2 record is about right. I might put them a few notches lower simply because of the OB factor.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Yeah I agree we are top ten but I'm not ready to put us over Seattle yet. As great as Watson is looking Wilson has been having an MVP season pretty much since game 1. I think its the battle of the QBs between him and Watson this year in the MVP race. Brady is looking old and I don't think Mahomes and Reid are going to be able to overcome their defense not even letting Mahomes off the bench against any quality team. As far as the NFC goes can anyone name a single QB over there having a good season?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wow, too high until we win on the road this week against Colts. Then I may do this. Lots of respect for DW4 by this writer, and fixing the OL has always held us back, so climb yes, #5, not quite yet
I hear you. But the rest of the league looks pretty bad, or injured.

I mean Buffalo is probably a top 5 team this year.