Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 NFL Hall of Fame

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Tight end Tony Gonzalez, safety Ed Reed, center Kevin Mawae and cornerbacks Champ Bailey and Ty Lawwere all selected Saturday as the modern-era inductees for the class. Gonzalez, Reed and Bailey all were picked in their first year of eligibility.

One senior finalist, safety Johnny Robinson, and two contributor finalists, Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and former Dallas Cowboys executive Gil Brandt, also made the cut to join the class.

Link

The first cut of finalists was from 15 to 10. The five eliminated from consideration at that point were Isaac Bruce, Don Coryell, Tom Flores, John Lynch and Richard Seymour.

The final 10 finalists were reduced to five. Removed at that point were Steve Atwater, Tony Boselli, Alan Faneca, Steve Hutchinson and Edgerrin James.

Link

I dunno why the NFL authority is unwilling to put Tony Boselli into the HOF because he's been out of the league like 15 years and is usually regarded as the best player in that franchises history which still doesn't have a single person in the HOF ? So what's wrong with the Jags, a franchise that's now been around 25 years, having a single player in the HOF ?
Oh BTW Boselli was a tremendous college and NFL OT who's generally regarded as one of the best at his position of his time.

I dunno why the NFL authority is unwilling to put Tony Boselli into the HOF because he's been out of the league like 15 years and is usually regarded as the best player in that franchises history which still doesn't have a single person in the HOF ? So what's wrong with the Jags, a franchise that's now been around 25 years, having a single player in the HOF ?
Oh BTW Boselli was a tremendous college and NFL OT who's generally regarded as one of the best at his position of his time.

He didn't stay healthy long enough... look how long it takes most OLmen who finally get there

I dunno why the NFL authority is unwilling to put Tony Boselli into the HOF ...

Longevity. He had 5 years of doninance (7 total seasons, ok rookie & injured out final) at a position where other HoFers had long careers like Roaf & Pace with 13 years each, Walter Jones & Ogden with 12.

Reactions: JB
Longevity. He had 5 years of doninance (7 total seasons, ok rookie & injured out final) at a position where other HoFers had long careers like Roaf & Pace with 13 years each, Walter Jones & Ogden with 12.
Unless there's an official minimum number of years requirement for former players to be eligible for HOF consideration then why not make an exception for Boselli and the Jags
and just say he's the best player the Jags ever had and they should be awarded atleast a single nominal membership in the HOF ?
I mean we all know that many of the HOF selection decisions are very political so apparently the Jags org has very little juice with the NFL office in NYC ?

Unless there's an official minimum number of years requirement for former players to be eligible for HOF consideration then why not make an exception for Boselli and the Jags
and just say he's the best player the Jags ever had and they should be awarded atleast a single nominal membership in the HOF ?
I mean we all know that many of the HOF selection decisions are very political so apparently the Jags org has very little juice with the NFL office in NYC ?

How many years was Boselli considered the absolute best in the NFL? He should be in the Jags HOF sure, but the NFL? He don't compare league-wide

When did this become a team participation award?

So it's not merit based?

So it's not merit based?
Determining membership into the NFL HOF based upon a meritocracy system of selection ? Cut it out man, you are cracking me up !
Well I'm sure it is in many cases but I'v been listening a long time to local radio sports talk guy John McCLain here in Houston, a member of the NFL HOF selection committee
for many years, talk about how players are chosen to go into the HOF.
Heard him describe on several occasions the process how he will talk to other committee members to get them to vote for a player into the HOF he's sponsoring and then tells how he will support one of theirs in return , so clearly a quid pro quo arrangement not that much unlike two politicians in Washington agreeing to sponsor each others
legislation of pork barrel projects for their respective home districts.

Determining membership into the NFL HOF based upon a meritocracy system of selection ? Cut it out man, you are cracking me up !
Well I'm sure it is in many cases but I'v been listening a long time to local radio sports talk guy John McCLain here in Houston, a member of the NFL HOF selection committee
for many years, talk about how players are chosen to go into the HOF.
Heard him describe on several occasions the process how he will talk to other committee members to get them to vote for a player into the HOF he's sponsoring and then tells how he will support one of theirs in return , so clearly a quid pro quo arrangement not that much unlike two politicians in Washington agreeing to sponsor each others
legislation of pork barrel projects for their respective home districts.

I'm not arguing that it's perfect. Sure, there's a human element. But your suggestion that the Jags should have a member because, well, just because is the pendulum swung completely in the other direction.

People argue over hof merit all the time and there will always be some degree of disagreement. No one ever argues hof induction based on requisite allocation of representative members.

ahem ... cut it out man you're cracking me up ... did i do it right?

Reactions: JB
When did this become a team participation award?
Outside of the Texans franchise that's about 8 years newer on the scene, the Jags are the only franchise in the entire league without a single member in the Hall.
That's a travesty because there are so many players who are probably there just in the HOF because of politics or sheer popularity.
There's 32 franchises so let the Jags have one stinking member they can enshrine in Canton for their fans to view and admire when thy visit Canton.
I guarantee you when Andre Johnson is eligible he'll go in very soon if not first ballot.

I guarantee you when Andre Johnson is eligible he'll go in very soon if not first ballot.

He'll deserve it and so will JJ. You're proving the point. The Jags best WR ever is Jimmy Smith, a guy who led the league in one thing, receptions, once. Fred Taylor & Maurice Jones Drew, please. Boselli is pretty much their only merits player and his career was short. It was a beotch for Terrell Davis (also 7 year career) to get in and he was critical to 2 SB victories.

Outside of the Texans franchise that's about 8 years newer on the scene, the Jags are the only franchise in the entire league without a single member in the Hall.
That's a travesty because there are so many players who are probably there just in the HOF because of politics or sheer popularity.
There's 32 franchises so let the Jags have one stinking member they can enshrine in Canton for their fans to view and admire when thy visit Canton.

Are you serious? Boselli should get in just because he was a Jag? He wouldn't get in if he was a Brown or Giant. What ya thinkin' man?

He'll deserve it and so will JJ. You're proving the point. The Jags best WR ever is Jimmy Smith, a guy who led the league in one thing, receptions, once. Fred Taylor & Maurice Jones Drew, please. Boselli is pretty much their only merits player and his career was short. It was a beotch for Terrell Davis (also 7 year career) to get in and he was critical to 2 SB victories.
JJ will certainly make it and very likely first ballot, but Johnson will probably be a very marginal candidate.
But I'm still confidant about Johnson because when he's eligible the Texans will have existed for over 20 years and that alone should put him in:
the probabililty is so great that in 20 years every franchise has atleast one player HOF worthy and besides it's obviously just good business.

JJ will certainly make it and very likely first ballot, but Johnson will probably be a very marginal candidate.
But I'm still confidant about Johnson because when he's eligible the Texans will have existed for over 20 years and that alone should put him in:
the probabililty is so great that in 20 years every franchise has atleast one player HOF worthy and besides it's obviously just good business

Huh? What?

Back