Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2018 Texans Player Transactions

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Not to speak for AT, but while an injury is coming back other muscles and structures are over loading to compensate. If the original injury doesn't get back to 100%, which is rare with many injuries, the body is always compensating. So compensatory injuries happen. All those surrounding muscles & structures become more likely to failure.

I'm sure CnD will correct me if I bastardized what I've tried to learn from him.
I agree 100% with your post. My point was just that not all injuries are interconnected, sometimes bad things just happen, especially when you look at the forces that are applied to the body during a football game.
This is also why I mentioned the versaclimber for conditioning purposes vs running, if you had data on how fast guys can actually run, whether its timed runs or GPS data, you would have something to compare post injury performance to and have a better idea of when they are actually recovered. To be fair, they might do this, Ill have to ask around

I would agree with this if it were his Achilles he had re injured, but its a hip flexor. Ive heard from a friend that would know, apparently they don’t run for conditioning. If my friend is correct they do most of their conditioning on a versaclimber. This would offer an explanation for the rash of hamstring injuries earlier this season as well as Webster’s hip flexor. The forces on certain muscle groups are quite high when sprinting, like slightly over 5 times bodyweight on the hamstrings. You can’t mimic that in a gym, you cannot get close. If i ran the sports performance department I would employ a track coach and sprinting technique would be worked on weekly

It’s interesting that we brought in a new strength and conditioning coach from Denver to diminish the amount of injuries, but it seems it’s made no difference. I’ve never heard of the versa climber. If it has contributed to an increase in the hamstring injuries, I’d want to change tactics.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I just hope WFV can get healthy.
Fuller, and I give him tremendous credit for this, looked like he wanted to be more than a burner this season. He was fighting like a badger for YAC. Now some might say that's not smart. I'm giving him another chance to stay healthy. You don't give up on people because they are trying too hard.

This from a Fuller skeptic to begin with. Not that he couldn't be good. Admitted Cowboy moment, is a distraction WR (Alvin Harper), 3500 yd career worth a 1st? .

But Fuller was showing tenancity off the charts. Now that plus speed is deadly.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
It’s interesting that we brought in a new strength and conditioning coach from Denver to diminish the amount of injuries, but it seems it’s made no difference. I’ve never heard of the versa climber. If it has contributed to an increase in the hamstring injuries, I’d want to change tactics.
One of the key concepts to improving performance is specificity. The closer an activity is to the performance event the better the chance it improves it. A key performance element in FB is sprinting speed. If you want to get faster you have to sprint, really fast. Additionally for conditioning and injury prevention, specificity is important too. You have expose the muscles to similar forces that they’ll see in a game. The versaclimber (it’s essentially a stair master that also involves the upper body- it looks like you are crawling in an upright position) is great for cardiovascular training but it fails in terms of specificity for the muscular system. They hamstrings are the primary sprinting muscles. If you compared the load on the hamstrings on a VC vs sprinting at peak velocity it would not be close.

The late great Charlie Francis (one of the top Olympic sprint coaches of all time) used a Hi/Lo system. A couple days a week athletes will work on running as fast as possible and the other days they run at a 75% effort level. This is how I would train football players, or at least all the speed guys. You give the hamstrings some exposure to the higher forces of fast sprinting and you develop the aerobic system through multiple runs at 75% effort.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Fuller, and I give him tremendous credit for this, looked like he wanted to be more than a burner this season. He was fighting like a badger for YAC.
I've felt this way about him since the combine. After hearing all the negatives about his game, "burner only" I thought he must have worked his butt off to look like he did at the combine. He showed great hands, concentration, & route running in the WR drills. & looked like he continued to work on those since he's been here.

No doubt in my mind He's one of those guys who always has something to prove. No matter how good he gets, he's going to continue to work to get better.

Can't have too many guys like that on our team .