Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2018 FA- Zach Fulton OL 4 years 28 million

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Another versatile OL, mainly interior.

Chiefs fans liked him as a centre but we'll probably put him in the mix as a G.

vupac1

Waterboy
With all the OG additions, it really looks like they are moving on from Jeff Allen, who I had hoped they would move back to LG and I'd be satisfied.

If they do cut Allen, I can't even say I'd be all that excited anymore seeing as how all the extra cap savings appears will not be used for a big FA splash (unless we end up landing honey badger)

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
With all the OG additions, it really looks like they are moving on from Jeff Allen, who I had hoped they would move back to LG and I'd be satisfied.

If they do cut Allen, I can't even say I'd be all that excited anymore seeing as how all the extra cap savings appears will not be used for a big FA splash (unless we end up landing honey badger)
Honey Badger is never going to be a Texan. Prior to the Draft, he said that he didn't want to go to Houston. He sealed his fate with the organization when he was invited for a workout.............and didn't show up. No team forgets that type of 'insult." Write off the Honey Badger.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Honey Badger is never going to be a Texan. Prior to the Draft, he said that he didn't want to go to Houston. He sealed his fate with the organization when he was invited for a workout.............and didn't show up. No team forgets that type of 'insult." Write off the Honey Badger.
Where did you read that? I'd never heard that story. Assumed since he is a Louisiana native that Houston would be in play.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
That was 5 years ago & a different FO regime. On top of that, all that happened as the kid was trying to get his life together. Everyone knows of his close relationship to Patrick Peterson now, not many knew just how close they were & how much he looked up to Peterson and his family at the time. Predraft he stayed with & worked out with Peterson in AZ and knew that's where he wanted to go. My guess is He knew going to play in Houston, a place so close to his hometown where he'd gotten himself into serious trouble at LSU probably wasn't a good idea for him at the time...It's really no different than guys intentionally botching individual workouts for teams that they don't want to be drafted by..Ted Johnson admits to doing this in an individual workout he had with the Bengals.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
"According to OverTheCap, the top 11 centers in the league make more than $7 million per year. So really, is it that much? The Faiders gave Hudson $8.5 million per year 4 years ago. The top paid center is getting more than $10 million per year."
"Agreed. He was a solid player for us who could play all across the line. He was always going to get paid. 7M a year sounds about right. I thought he'd be in the 5-7M range."
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314368&highlight=Zach+Fulton
OK that's the thoughts from a couple guys on the Chiefsplanet.com site and one guy seems to think Fulton is more of a center than a guard and another feels he should have beaten out the Chiefs starter at center, guy named Morse.
All in all from what I saw they were favorably impressed with him while he was in KC and also with his versitility.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
But it might explain the 1 year contract. Either way, odd as hell.
Gotta think he had more than 1 offer. The lack of safeties being signed thus far in free agency must mean the market is bad for them. He must think this team is the best situation to maximize his value in a push for a big contract next year. And I hope he exceeds all expectations... we'll have the cap room to sign him long term when he earns it :)

Never say never. At least that’s what Beiber says.......

dream_team

Hall of Fame

I wonder if Jeff Allen could be the dark horse candidate at LT. TBH, he was our best LT last season.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
"According to OverTheCap, the top 11 centers in the league make more than $7 million per year. So really, is it that much? The Faiders gave Hudson $8.5 million per year 4 years ago. The top paid center is getting more than $10 million per year."
"Agreed. He was a solid player for us who could play all across the line. He was always going to get paid. 7M a year sounds about right. I thought he'd be in the 5-7M range."
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314368&highlight=Zach+Fulton
OK that's the thoughts from a couple guys on the Chiefsplanet.com site and one guy seems to think Fulton is more of a center than a guard and another feels he should have beaten out the Chiefs starter at center, guy named Morse.
All in all from what I saw they were favorably impressed with him while he was in KC and also with his versitility.
This sounds like what Chiefs' fans were saying when we picked up Jeff Allen. I guess they didn't know we were going to move him to RG.

Does this mean Martin will move to guard?

Last edited:
Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
This sounds like what Chiefs' fans were saying when we picked up Jeff Allen. I guess they didn't know we were going to move him to RG.

No, Martin will be at center and Fulton may be at guard

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

As a native of the KC area and a Chiefs fan I follow this MB and don't recall them being that positive about Allen or concerned with his departure. Now you may have
heard a different story from another KC Chiefs source than this MB.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
I can safely say I've never seen an o-lineman have 3 consecutive false starts back to back to back like that dude had against Tennessee late in the game last year. He gets DQ'ed automatically as an LT option for 2018 after that ****.
He anticipates really bad or the QB that day had a long southern drawl .

bah007

Hall of Fame
Best guess:

LT - Davenport
LG - Kelemete
C - Fulton
RG - Martin
RT - Henderson

If Newton can play then he goes in at RT and Henderson kicks over and competes at LT. Still not a great line but better than what we threw out there last year.

You've got Lamm as your swing tackle (meh) and Allen and Mancz as interior depth (solid).

The FA action allows us to use minimal picks along the OL so we can focus on other areas of the team. Without a trade up, I don't see an OL in this draft that makes a dent in our top 7.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Ron Chenoy USA Today

It's Easy To Blame Alex
The Film Shows One Lineman Isn't Getting It Done

BOB FESCOE
NOVEMBER 29, 2017 - 5:30 AM
Fescoe in the Morning
The last month or so has been pretty pretty pretty NOT GOOD for the Kansas City Chiefs and their offense. The big plays have dried up. The running game has dried up and the points have gone way down. They are clearly not hitting on any cylinders right now. In football we love to blame the quarterback. Alex Smith has been a lighting rod in KC for the better part of November. However, when you dig deeper you find that Alex Smith really isn't the entire problem. It starts with Zach Fulton on the offensive line not knowing his assignments.

Denny Medley USA Today

Football is such a team sport and the offensive line especially has to be clued in to their assignments on every single play. If one guy doesn't know what he is supposed to do or who he is supposed to block, the whole play gets blown up. Former NFL lineman Brian Baldinger took a look at the Chiefs offensive line. After watching his breakdown, you can clearly see that the guys up front aren't getting the job done.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I can safely say I've never seen an o-lineman have 3 consecutive false starts back to back to back like that dude had against Tennessee late in the game last year. He gets DQ'ed automatically as an LT option for 2018 after that ****.
You have to cut him some slack as it was his first game (I believe) at LT for us. Also, one of those was the center’s fault.

Despite that one stint, he played better at LT than anyone else last season. (not counting DB in one game)

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Gotta think he had more than 1 offer. The lack of safeties being signed thus far in free agency must mean the market is bad for them. He must think this team is the best situation to maximize his value in a push for a big contract next year. And I hope he exceeds all expectations... we'll have the cap room to sign him long term when he earns it :)
I think he wants to play behind what he hopes will be a ferocious pass rush for a year, hawk some balls and put some highlights on film to prove he’s still got it and then sign or re-sign for something closer to his real value the year after.

I’m always impressed when a player chooses to bet on himself. Hope he earns a good deal and we’re the ones to give it to him

Number19

Hall of Fame
Best guess:

LT - Davenport
LG - Kelemete
C - Fulton
RG - Martin
RT - Henderson

If Newton can play then he goes in at RT and Henderson kicks over and competes at LT. Still not a great line but better than what we threw out there last year.

You've got Lamm as your swing tackle (meh) and Allen and Mancz as interior depth (solid).

The FA action allows us to use minimal picks along the OL so we can focus on other areas of the team. Without a trade up, I don't see an OL in this draft that makes a dent in our top 7.
I keep seeing Mancz mentioned as a Texan and was a bit confused. I was thinking he was an UFA, but find now he was a RFA. So the Texans retained his services with their tender.

Do you think Okorafor will be there top of the 3rd? Parker will be there, middle of the 3rd. I think I'd like to move on from Lamm. What do you think of either of these two?

Also, if Smith is there in the 3rd, what do you think of him at OG?

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Sorry doc.

Your accuracy index just dropped from 100% to 99.99 %

Gaine showing more moxy with the Honey Badger than our previous GM showed with D Brown.

:coffee:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Sorry doc.

Your accuracy index just dropped from 100% to 99.99 %

Gaine showing more moxy with the Honey Badger than our previous GM showed with D Brown.

The conversation I related from the personal communication that came directly from the Honey Badger to my friend was accurate. I duly and humbly accept my inaccuracy. :banme:bowdown:

But the more he speaks, the more it is evident that the Badger had a recent come to Jesus meeting with himself that changed his entire mindset and attitudes about many things. The Texans were just one.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
The conversation I related from the personal communication that came directly from the Honey Badger to my friend was accurate. I duly and humbly accept my inaccuracy. :banme:bowdown:

But the more he speaks, the more it is evident that the Badger had a recent come to Jesus meeting with himself that changed his entire mindset and attitudes about many things. The Texans were just one.
:) Ain't happening Doc.

If I recall correctly he had a troubled career at LSU. His bio reads a pretty rough childhood.

He seems to have matured a lot in the last few years, kudos to him.

Appreciate all your contributions to the MB.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch

Wait, what. :) Ain't happening Doc.

If I recall correctly HB had a troubled career at LSU. His bio reads a pretty tough childhood. Sad what happens to some chillden.

He seems to have matured a lot in the last few years, kudos to him.

Appreciate all your contributions to the MB.

gs27

Veteran
Football is such a team sport and the offensive line especially has to be clued in to their assignments on every single play. If one guy doesn't know what he is supposed to do or who he is supposed to block, the whole play gets blown up. Former NFL lineman Brian Baldinger took a look at the Chiefs offensive line. After watching his breakdown, you can clearly see that the guys up front aren't getting the job done.
Yep, if you grade the offensive lineman

A - dominate assignment
B - win assignment
C - draw with assignment
D - lose assignment but slow them down
F - missed assignment or whiff

A play where the offensive lines grades 2 B, 2 C and 1 D will most often be a better play than if you have 3 A, 1 B, and 1 F.

IMO, talent evaluators often look more at the number of As instead of the number of Fs. Need a whole lot of As to make up for 1 F.

10% A, 50% B, 20% C, 15% D, 5% F >>>>>>> 25% A, 20% B, 20% C, 15% D, 15% F

badboy

Hall of Fame
To be fair Mathieu is not the guy he was coming out of LSU. I did not want him but he got with John Lucas and changed. This is part of him wanting to move past the nickname. Honey Badger is just way cool. Everything looks "all ready on the firing line. Shooters fire at will!".

I still want another solid vet corner and a day 3 corner in draft. Decoud could leap in his 2nd year and Johnson could be healthy returning to his rookie play which was dang good but.. I am leery of that.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
ORLANDO, Fla. – Kansas City coach Andy Reid was asked this week what the Texans are getting in offensive lineman Zach Fulton, who spent his first four seasons with the Chiefs.

Fulton, 26, started 46 games in four seasons with the Chiefs. He played center last season when Mitch Morse was injured. He also plays guard. Fulton will play guard for the Texans.

“One of my favorite guys,” Reid said. “Zach can play any position. Very smart. Very consistent. He’s not a big talker. He doesn’t say much. They’ll appreciate how he comes to work every day.”
https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Chiefs-Andy-Reid-Texans-Zach-Fulton-favorite-12788220.php

Inside the Ritz-Carlton, the NFL is working on the framework for the 2018 season. At the coaches’ breakfast table, Dirk Koetter sat down, taking time to reflect on fixing their 2017 failures. Koetter believes their 5-11 record isn’t a real indica

Media: Fox 13 Tampa
Fulton is one of three offensive linemen the Texans have signed, joining guard Senio Kelemete and tackle Seantrel Henderson.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
A versatile lineman that can be used at two positions who has a reliable and consistent mindset? I'll take on this kind of addition to my Online any day. And right now hell, we need all we can get. This seems like a great pick up considering the circumstances. I don't remember KC having any type of crappy Oline the last few years, and it says that he started 46 games under Reid so I like his experience. 2nd best signing this off season and at the most needed area of a team weakness. He may not be a superstar, but he adds better stability at the positions.

vupac1

Waterboy

badboy

Hall of Fame
Fulton like Watson seems to have continued playing like 2019. Perhaps his injuries continues to impact his play? There did seem to be more cohesion and better play overall from this line.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Both Zach Fulton and Tytus Howard looked like crap against the Chefs. The right side of our O-line is the reason we could not execute. Not to mention the poor play calling.
Look, everyone should have known Fulton would struggle against Chris Jones. So, slide the protection towards him. Scharping is blocking air on the 1st sack. That makes no sense. That's how teams defend Watt. I don't know whose fault it was. But it should have been fixed, immediately.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Look, everyone should have known Fulton would struggle against Chris Jones. So, slide the protection towards him. Scharping is blocking air on the 1st sack. That makes no sense. That's how teams defend Watt. I don't know whose fault it was. But it should have been fixed, immediately.
I hate pretending I'm smarter than the coaches... because I'm not. But I'm always seeing mistakes on the OL that has me believe it's on the coaching.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
It's not like O'Brien didn't realize Fulton was a problem. He gave Fulton a paycut in the offseason. Then, did nothing to give him competition.

He's your paycut, here's the starting job...free and clear. What a motivator Billy Oh is.

KC picked up Osemele as a street FA, gave him a $1.2 million deal...and he dominated the Texans DTs.

One of the best in the game and they attempt to block him 1 on 1 and then no adjustments...SMH