Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2017 - 4 Round Mock

tomjn80

Waterboy
1. Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky

Sources Tell Us: "He's the real deal. If he can snap, you could get away with playing him all up and down the line. Great feet, strong, smart." -- AFC executive

NFL Comparison: Zach Martin

Bottom Line: Four-year starter at left tackle whose lack of length will likely force him inside on the next level. He has the athleticism to handle athletic interior rushers while being able to fit into diverse rushing attacks that ask more from the guards and centers. His ability to potentially line up at tackle, guard or center will only increase his value. Lamp's 2016 performance against Alabama's talented edge players was a resume-builder that shined a spotlight on his potential as a pro.

2. Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida

Sources Tell Us: "He's good. I don't care about some of those holes you are talking about. Kill him so maybe somebody will listen to you and he can fall to us. We'll take him." -- AFC executive

NFL Comparison: Shaq Thompson

Bottom Line: Praised for both his football and personal character, Davis has athletic gifts to go along with the character traits teams are looking for. His ability to cover ground, operate with loose hips in space, and finish his tackles make him a draft favorite for some teams. While it is easy to fall in love with the traits and potential, will have to take better routes to the ball and learn to keep himself clean against blocks.

3. Nathan Peterman, QB, Pitt

Sources Tell Us: "I like him. He made me a believer when I watched him against Clemson. I do want to see him throw live and get a feel for how the ball comes out. I never saw him in person and you can't get a feel for that stuff on tape." - NFC Director of Personnel

NFL Comparison: Derek Carr

Bottom Line: Peterman's experience in a pro-style passing attack gives him a head start headed into the league. His physical attributes are just average, but his accuracy, composure and anticipation are what sets him apart from some of the more physically gifted quarterbacks in this year's draft. Peterman's tape is sure to catch the eye of at least a few teams in need of a quarterback and he should come off the board by day two with a chance to become a solid starting quarterback in the future.

4. Marcus Maye, FS, Florida

NFL Comparison: Glover Quin

Bottom Line: Interchangeable safety with the instincts of a free safety and the physicality of a box player. Thrives as a downhill player and has the instincts and speed to operate effectively from both single-high and two-deep looks. Has the physical attributes and intelligence to step into a starter's role early on and will be a strong contributor on special teams.

via Lance Zierlein @ nfl.com

Sources Tell Us: "He's the real deal. If he can snap, you could get away with playing him all up and down the line. Great feet, strong, smart." -- AFC executive

Bottom Line: Four-year starter at left tackle whose lack of length will likely force him inside on the next level. He has the athleticism to handle athletic interior rushers while being able to fit into diverse rushing attacks that ask more from the guards and centers. His ability to potentially line up at tackle, guard or center will only increase his value. Lamp's 2016 performance against Alabama's talented edge players was a resume-builder that shined a spotlight on his potential as a pro.

Sources Tell Us: "He's good. I don't care about some of those holes you are talking about. Kill him so maybe somebody will listen to you and he can fall to us. We'll take him." -- AFC executive

Bottom Line: Praised for both his football and personal character, Davis has athletic gifts to go along with the character traits teams are looking for. His ability to cover ground, operate with loose hips in space, and finish his tackles make him a draft favorite for some teams. While it is easy to fall in love with the traits and potential, will have to take better routes to the ball and learn to keep himself clean against blocks.

Sources Tell Us: "I like him. He made me a believer when I watched him against Clemson. I do want to see him throw live and get a feel for how the ball comes out. I never saw him in person and you can't get a feel for that stuff on tape." - NFC Director of Personnel

Bottom Line: Peterman's experience in a pro-style passing attack gives him a head start headed into the league. His physical attributes are just average, but his accuracy, composure and anticipation are what sets him apart from some of the more physically gifted quarterbacks in this year's draft. Peterman's tape is sure to catch the eye of at least a few teams in need of a quarterback and he should come off the board by day two with a chance to become a solid starting quarterback in the future.

Bottom Line: Interchangeable safety with the instincts of a free safety and the physicality of a box player. Thrives as a downhill player and has the instincts and speed to operate effectively from both single-high and two-deep looks. Has the physical attributes and intelligence to step into a starter's role early on and will be a strong contributor on special teams.

Or

Reddick, Haason OLB 6'2" 237 Temple (in the 2nd round)

NFL Comparison: Ryan Shazier

Bottom Line: Injuries limited Reddick to just four games over last two years of high school, forcing him to walk on at Temple. The Owls staff helped him unlock his explosive athletic traits on the field, which resulted in three forced fumbles, 9.5 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss in 2016. Reddick's speed and athleticism might give him a greater shot at impacting the game as a 3-4 inside linebacker or a 4-3 WILL rather than trying to bulk up and play the edge. An ascending prospect with a high-end potential if he can continue to hone his craft.

Lamp and Peterman have been discussed here at length.

Davis is a stud and fits what we need.

I'm not a huge fan of Maye. He's got some coverage ability for sure, but his run support and tackling ability are spotty. He played on an excellent defense so alot of his missteps there were covered up, but he made a lot of mistakes there.

Yeah, I'd like to know why he compares Peterman with Carr, seeing that Carr has one of the premier arms in the league.

I thought that was odd too. Carr also played in a gimmicky pass happy offense at Fresno State, whereas Peterman does not.

I thought that was odd too. Carr also played in a gimmicky pass happy offense at Fresno State, whereas Peterman does not.

I honestly think the notion of spread guys come out behind the 8ball as opposed to more pro style guys can be laid to rest. the few top young qbs have come from spread offenses, Mariota, Carr, Prescott, etc.

I honestly think the notion of spread guys come out behind the 8ball as opposed to more pro style guys can be laid to rest. the few top young qbs have come from spread offenses, Mariota, Carr, Prescott, etc.

Mariota is not fully there yet, Carr really arrived last season and Prescott couldn't have landed in a better situation. Mariota and Carr are finishing 2 & 3 years in their respective systems. Prescott like Big Ben landed in organizations that had every aspect of their teams completed except their QB positions.

The Texans cannot offer any QB drafted in 2017 a Prescott or Big Ben situation so I'm leaning towards the 2-3 year development plan, provided the Texans can build a foundation for them to succeed in.

The Texans cannot offer any QB drafted in 2017 a Prescott or Big Ben situation so I'm leaning towards the 2-3 year development plan, provided the Texans can build a foundation for them to succeed in.

I'd counter that we do have just as good of a situation if not better. Big Ben came into a a defensive minded team with a really good RB. Dak came to a really good offensive team with no defense. We have the #1 defense to go along with the #10 rushing RB and one of the better WRs in the league. QB will help the protect issues we had last year as would a couple of draft picks. To me, our biggest problem is that we have one QB that is blind and one that is injured as much as Romo.

I'd counter that we do have just as good of a situation if not better. Big Ben came into a a defensive minded team with a really good RB. Dak came to a really good offensive team with no defense. We have the #1 defense to go along with the #10 rushing RB and one of the better WRs in the league. QB will help the protect issues we had last year as would a couple of draft picks. To me, our biggest problem is that we have one QB that is blind and one that is injured as much as Romo.
Dak landed with the best OL in football, Zeke, Dez and Whiten. The Texans can counter that with Nuk and only Nuk.

A few moves on Offense, can leave a very good situation for a QB to come in to. Sign an OL in FA, Draft one, and add a TE and a RB, and this becomes a very well rounded complete offense.

This was a discussion about Dak and he doesn't play defense.

No I'm pretty sure I know what I wrote:

Reactions: JB
At this point in their careers i'd rather have Fido over Witten...

Zeke would be nice and most importantly that OL though!

Zeke and that line is a deadly combo! We're due to invest heavily in our OL. It may not help Brock but it would help a competent QB and Lamar Miller.

A few moves on Offense, can leave a very good situation for a QB to come in to. Sign an OL in FA, Draft one, and add a TE and a RB, and this becomes a very well rounded complete offense.
Agree that it would be a good situation, but so many new pieces will require some time to gel.
Although a good hammer at RB and a RT will afford a vast improvement.

No the assertion was about a "Big Ben situation." You only addressed O but the Steelers and young Big Ben rode a D to success.
The Steelers had the #1 defense in yds like we did. They were better than us in scoring defense; #1 in preventing passing TDs (we were #5) and #5 in preventing rushing TDs (we were #17).

Not arguing with you, just bringing data to the discussion.

This mock is based on a flawed strategy. Last year, we ranked 29th in offense and 1st in defense, and we are spending two of our first four picks on defense ? That's almost as delusional as last year's first four, (with the exception of Martin) !

This mock is based on a flawed strategy. Last year, we ranked 29th in offense and 1st in defense, and we are spending two of our first four picks on defense ? That's almost as delusional as last year's first four, (with the exception of Martin) !
Do you have something against making sure a team strength remains a team strength??
Cushing is getting up there in age, if we can find his heir in the draft why not do it. Free safety isn't a strength for this defense; why not use a 4th to strengthen this position??

Also, it would have been nice if you had listed who you would have taken instead of those guys
:)

I used the top 3 picks on our biggest needs. OL, cover LB, and QB. You wont fill all your needs in the draft. Obviously it will change in time. This draft is extremely weak at the OL. Keep in mind, it's only the first 4 rounds. So you prefer I use the first 4 picks on offense? Isn't that what you're complaining about last years draft? Our offense was terrible last year too. Just trying to have a little balance in the draft.

Last edited:
Do you have something against making sure a team strength remains a team strength??
Cushing is getting up there in age, if we can find his heir in the draft why not do it. Free safety isn't a strength for this defense; why not use a 4th to strengthen this position??

Also, it would have been nice if you had listed who you would have taken instead of those guys
:)

He gave us 2 cents worth. :splits:

Back