Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2014 Draft Eligible QB's

tonight was the second louisville game i've watched this year, and i've come away non-plussed with bridgewater both times. he's a solid qb but nothing screams first pick overall to me. he's got physical tools sure, but reminds me of HWSNBN.

if we had the pick of any qb's, i'd want either hogan, murray, or manziel. I want a proven gamer that other players on our team would rally behind. i'd be happy with hundley as well.

Yeah, I was underwhelmed by Bridgewater too. I don't know about the HWSNBN vibe but I did come away with a general "meh" feeling.

tonight was the second louisville game i've watched this year, and i've come away non-plussed with bridgewater both times. he's a solid qb but nothing screams first pick overall to me. he's got physical tools sure, but reminds me of HWSNBN.

if we had the pick of any qb's, i'd want either hogan, murray, or manziel. I want a proven gamer that other players on our team would rally behind. i'd be happy with hundley as well.

To be fair, that wasn't one of his better games, but I agree with you. He just doesn't need to make difficult throws, so he doesn't come off special.

If you like mid-round sleeper type guys--google this guy: Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois, 6'3" 220, 151 of 231 23 tds 5 ints. Not arm strength of Brett Farve or Elway, but can make all the throws, very desisive with super quick release. Has good pocket awareness and can extend plays with his feet. Plays mostly in spread but can play under center. 4 yr starter. Past known qb's from same school: Tony Romo, Sean Payton. Report is that most if not all NFL teams have been to watch games and practices. If he finishes out season and gets invite to senior bowls and allstar games, I expect we will be hearing more about him.

I have no idea if this guy will pan out or not, just thought he should be added to any list of potential draftable qbs.

If you like mid-round sleeper type guys--google this guy: Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois, 6'3" 220, 151 of 231 23 tds 5 ints. Not arm strength of Brett Farve or Elway, but can make all the throws, very desisive with super quick release. Has good pocket awareness and can extend plays with his feet. Plays mostly in spread but can play under center. 4 yr starter. Past known qb's from same school: Tony Romo, Sean Payton. Report is that most if not all NFL teams have been to watch games and practices. If he finishes out season and gets invite to senior bowls and allstar games, I expect we will be hearing more about him.

I have no idea if this guy will pan out or not, just thought he should be added to any list of potential draftable qbs.
Problem with this type of pick, Texans cannot gamble that much imo. If you are going to select a QB, you have to aim high and go with best possible chance no later than round three but probably round two. TJ Yates was an example of your guy in 5th but we don't have 3 years for next guy to develop. Another reason I think Keenum has a step up on most if not all 2014 QBs.

I think the reason a lot of people on this board have varying opinions of the top QB's is because this is looking less and less like a QB class for the ages (2012 class), and more like a few top dudes and more above average guys.

Bridgewater didn't look outstanding in his game this weekend, and I want to say one of the other top guys didn't light it up (Hundley I think?). However, with Bridgewater, the kid has a ton of tape that shows him as being spectacular (so does pretty much all the guys at the top). My problem with him, Boyd and Manziel mostly come down to size more than anything else. Boyd especially is really really short and Bridgewater is a string bean (right now).

I want to re-iterate that I think if the Texans are going to get a QB from the draft, this is as good of a class as any to grab one.

I think the reason a lot of people on this board have varying opinions of the top QB's is because this is looking less and less like a QB class for the ages (2012 class), and more like a few top dudes and more above average guys.

Bridgewater didn't look outstanding in his game this weekend, and I want to say one of the other top guys didn't light it up (Hundley I think?). However, with Bridgewater, the kid has a ton of tape that shows him as being spectacular (so does pretty much all the guys at the top). My problem with him, Boyd and Manziel mostly come down to size more than anything else. Boyd especially is really really short and Bridgewater is a string bean (right now).

I want to re-iterate that I think if the Texans are going to get a QB from the draft, this is as good of a class as any to grab one.

the more research you do the more weaknesses you find

the more research you do the more weaknesses you find

Very true. I'm not liking what I see in Boyd, McCarron looks like a game manager QB but nothing special other than his girlfriend, Mettenberger has the size but he's not athletic or mobile (Schaub 2.0), I think Manziel lacks maturity, and I wasn't enthused by Fales either.

On the other hand I do like what I've seen in Aaron Murray, Brett Hundley, and Marcus Mariota. I haven't bothered to look at Bridgewater since he'll most likely be the #1 overall pick and I doubt we're that bad.

Anyone know anything about Stephen Morris from Miami?

Very true. I'm not liking what I see in Boyd, McCarron looks like a game manager QB but nothing special other than his girlfriend, Mettenberger has the size but he's not athletic or mobile (Schaub 2.0), I think Manziel lacks maturity, and I wasn't enthused by Fales either.

On the other hand I do like what I've seen in Aaron Murray, Brett Hundley, and Marcus Mariota. I haven't bothered to look at Bridgewater since he'll most likely be the #1 overall pick and I doubt we're that bad.

Anyone know anything about Stephen Morris from Miami?

That's kind of how i feel about McCarron too. I originally thought fairly high of him b/c the physical tools are there, the mechanics are great, the competition he has faced is great. The big issue i have with him is i haven't seen enough of him with the pressure squarely on him to see how he handles it to really go all the way in for him. Saban does a good job of keeping him out of that role running the ball with that stable of RB's he seems to have every damn year.

I'm starting to back off on Boyd too. seems a little careless with the ball at times..someone mentioned he puts alot of air under his deep balls...kinda agree with that as well. All that can be fixed though. I'll be really tuned in this weekend to see how he handles FSU.

I originally felt the same way about Metenberger although i'm starting to feel he might be the safest pick. Don't really care if can't run like Luck or RG3...just move around in the pocket well and keep your eyes downfield..he's seems to be decent at that.

My 2 Cents:

This time last year it was going to be a bonanza year for QBs in the 2013 draft, Smith, Barkley, Boyd, Mccarron, Murray....and we see how that turned out

Bridgewater did not look like a Top 10 pick vs Rutgers. Displayed a Landry Jones arm aka needs extra air underneath for long outs and deep pass, aka, he floats the ball. 2 RZ turnovers. Needs to stay in school.

Only 2 QBs have displayed consistent ability to come from behind and engineer game winning drives, Boyd & Manziel.

Conventional Wisdom is college QBs need 30 starts in college for any chance for early success in the NFL. That's why so many decide to stay in school and so few leave early. Bridgewater, Manziel, Mariota and Hundley better served by staying in school.

Conventional Wisdom is judge rookie QBs in the NFL only after their 19th start. That is enough time and experience to know and have a good idea of what you have in your QB. Geno Smith has 5 starts w/ 14 to go, looks promising.

IMHO if the draft were today, SR QBs #1 Boyd, #2 Mettenberger #3 McCarron #4 Murray

Anybody got thoughts on Stephen Morris???

I talked about him in another thread a while back. He has a great arm and good mobility, but he makes horrible decisions. As was proved tonight if you watched the Miami/North Carolina game. Don't really like him as a prospect because he just doesn't look like he gets the mental part of the game.

That's kind of how i feel about McCarron too. I originally thought fairly high of him b/c the physical tools are there, the mechanics are great, the competition he has faced is great. The big issue i have with him is i haven't seen enough of him with the pressure squarely on him to see how he handles it to really go all the way in for him. Saban does a good job of keeping him out of that role running the ball with that stable of RB's he seems to have every damn year.

I'm starting to back off on Boyd too. seems a little careless with the ball at times..someone mentioned he puts alot of air under his deep balls...kinda agree with that as well. All that can be fixed though. I'll be really tuned in this weekend to see how he handles FSU.

I originally felt the same way about Metenberger although i'm starting to feel he might be the safest pick. Don't really care if can't run like Luck or RG3...just move around in the pocket well and keep your eyes downfield..he's seems to be decent at that.

This is kinda how I view this QB class. Except I'm higher on McCarron than you are. I see McCarron as a Matt Ryan type prospect.

No Johnny Football? LOL

Best case for houston is giants,steelers,and washington wind up top 10. That would give the texans a chance to move from 15ish to 6 ish.

Want nothing to do with Miami's QB Morris. He was beyond awful last night against UNC. Their run game and defense is why they won. He missed open throws constantly.

This is kinda how I view this QB class. Except I'm higher on McCarron than you are. I see McCarron as a Matt Ryan type prospect.

No Johnny Football? LOL

Lol, you know i can't talk about that guy too much on here...the brigade comes out in full force...

Best case for houston is giants,steelers,and washington wind up top 10. That would give the texans a chance to move from 15ish to 6 ish.

How is that? I am sure the top 5 would be willing to trade out of their spot with another team if the right price was given.

Yeah, not impressed with Hundley. He's a runner and is pretty primitive in his passing ability right now. No way I take him in the first round this year. Stares down receivers hard, doesn't throw the ball downfield with a lot of accuracy when I have seen him play, doesn't make great decisions. He's a heck of a scrambler though and gets down when he needs to.

Yeah, not impressed with Hundley. He's a runner and is pretty primitive in his passing ability right now. No way I take him in the first round this year. Stares down receivers hard, doesn't throw the ball downfield with a lot of accuracy when I have seen him play, doesn't make great decisions. He's a heck of a scrambler though and gets down when he needs to.

He's a beter passer than you give him credit for. When trying to judge on whether you should draft a qb or not,you have to look at upside. You have to ask yourself how good can he be with our coaching staff? If you think the guy can be a franchise qb,but he needs a yr,then you still draft him. You have measure your chances of drafting the high level talent at the most importat position.

He's a beter passer than you give him credit for. When trying to judge on whether you should draft a qb or not,you have to look at upside. You have to ask yourself how good can he be with our coaching staff? If you think the guy can be a franchise qb,but he needs a yr,then you still draft him. You have measure your chances of drafting the high level talent at the most importat position.

I think the jury is still out on whether or not he can be a franchise quarterback. Franchise quarterbacks need to show more diverse and advanced passing ability than we are seeing from him this year, or atleast than I am seeing. I think he stays another year under Mora. That would be best for his NFL career.

Against Stanford, he was 24/39 193 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs.

Against Oregon, he was 13/19 64 yards, 1 TD 2 INTs.

Last season in two games against Stanford he was 43/69 438 yards, 1 TD 2 INTs.

A first round quarterback needs to be better against top level competition, simply put.

Last edited:
If you think the guy can be a franchise qb,but he needs a yr,then you still draft him.

So, what kind of things are you looking for?

&, TexansSeminole didn't say he wouldn't draft him, just said he wouldn't draft him in the first.

I think the jury is still out on whether or not he can be a franchise quarterback. Franchise quarterbacks need to show more diverse and advanced passing ability than we are seeing from him this year, or atleast than I am seeing. I think he stays another year under Mora. That would be best for his NFL career.

Against Stanford, he was 24/39 193 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs.

Against Oregon, he was 13/19 64 yards, 1 TD 2 INTs.

Last season in two games against Stanford he was 43/69 438 yards, 1 TD 2 INTs.

A first round quarterback needs to be better against top level competition, simply put.

I agree. He probably needs to stay another year and sharpen up. I'm saying that if you think the guy has all the tools needed to be successful but he needs a year,you still have to draft the guy if you're in position. Mcnair nor Kapernick were ready as rookies,but they're potential was sky high.

Back