Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2008 Senior Bowl

Forte made himself a lot of money this week. I'd love to see us take him in the 3rd, but I'm not sure he will be available when we pick.

Jets have a history of taking a banger at Rb....wouldn't be shocked at all if they take him in the third. Be a great replacment of the A-train in Tamp Bay.

Tranfered mine onto DVD last night . Life is good. Nice write up by
GBN.

http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlwrap.html

The most consistent OTs this week may have been unheralded Oneil Cousins of UTEP and Gosder Cherilus of Boston College. Cousins isn't all that big or physical. but consistently moved his feet well and appeared to be the most technically solid of this year's LT prospects in Mobile. Meanwhile, Cherilus didn't necessarily move all that well but was simply able to engulf defenders when he locked on. On the other hand, Kirk Barton of Ohio State really struggled at times with the pace of the game at the Senior Bowl and was consistenlt beaten all week.

Meanwhile, Cherilus didn't necessarily move all that well but was simply able to engulf defenders when he locked on. On the other hand, Kirk Barton of Ohio State really struggled at times with the pace of the game at the Senior Bowl and was consistenlt beaten all week.

Been intrigued by him since the start of the Senior Bowl. Where is he projected to be drafted? Could it be possible that he would (because of the OT's available) slip to us in the third? Doesn't sound like it, but was just wondering. It would be awesome if we could get a top rated corner and somehow pick up Cherilus also.

Safeties: There won't be a first round pick from this group and maybe not even a second round pick but there are some solid players.

All of you Kenny Phillips guys won't believe me believe him...Phillips is a busted pick. It doen't hit a hole nor does it upgrade the roster. Let it go.

All of you Kenny Phillips guys won't believe me believe him...Phillips is a busted pick. It doen't hit a hole nor does it upgrade the roster. Let it go.

Pete, he said there wont be one in this group. Kenny Philips was not in that group as he is not a senior and thus not invited to the Senior Bowl. I wouldnt go as far as saying he is a busted pick. He may be a bit overvalued but I think he still has 1st round talent but more like the back part of the 1st.

I personally dont want him and would rather take DeCoud in the 3rd if we were going that route.

Tranfered mine onto DVD last night . Life is good. Nice write up by
GBN.

http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlwrap.html[quoteThe most consistent OTs this week may have been unheralded Oneil Cousins of UTEP and Gosder Cherilus of Boston College. Cousins isn't all that big or physical. but consistently moved his feet well and appeared to be the most technically solid of this year's LT prospects in Mobile
[/QUOTE]

Did I watch the same guy? What was the GBN watching, Mike Mayock kept isolating on Cousins to show you how raw he is. The kid did not have any technique, was not comfortable kick stepping and his hand work left a lot of room for improvement. Mayock is saying Cousins will need to go to guard while he works on developing his technique and then maybe he get to play tackle.

Cherilus and Williams had the best technique and where the most consistant. Williams did get into a few scraps, something a scout told him on the plane down would help him get noticed.
Vanderbilt offensive tackle Chris Williams, who sat next to our own Matt B. on a plane to Mobile last weekend, is raising eyebrow's in Mobile.

DD.comment: Matt, who played offensive line on the D-3 level, actually told Williams on the way to Mobile that ex-Boston College tackle James Marten got into several fights last year and he became a 3rd round pick, in part, because of it....His exact words to Williams were: "Now I'm not necessarily recommending it, as a habit, but remember there's gonna be fights this week - there are no refs and the coaches actually want to see that stuff. Don't be afraid to kick a little [butt]"
Cherilus was a monster, he looked real solid, My question is, is he just a super RT?

Cherilus was a monster, he looked real solid, My question is, is he just a super RT?

I was frustrated watching him stuck @ RT too. The NFL coaches who worked all week with him felt RT was his best position. Cherilus has RT franchise measureables. but his inablity to wall off speed then his dominance to drive block will project him to the right side.

I'll tell another guy who impressed me, plays more like Spencer (3rd rd. pick) was Nebraska Carl Nicks, 6-5 343. wide body, very strong looked like he could pick up players (of course thats holding) & throw them around like rag dolls. the coaches choose to start him @ LT because he had surprisingly quick feet & moved better than expected for a big man (sound familar).

Did I watch the same guy? What was the GBN watching, Mike Mayock kept isolating on Cousins to show you how raw he is. The kid did not have any technique, was not comfortable kick stepping and his hand work left a lot of room for improvement. Mayock is saying Cousins will need to go to guard while he works on developing his technique and then maybe he get to play tackle.

Cherilus and Williams had the best technique and where the most consistant. Williams did get into a few scraps, something a scout told him on the plane down would help him get noticed.
Cherilus was a monster, he looked real solid, My question is, is he just a super RT?[/QUOTE]

Well you have your choice each round to select Salaam some help. I see cousins as a guy who moved to the o-line late and is still raw. What I also saw is a very athletic tackle who needs to be coched up a bit. He doesn't know how to kick slde very well. He dosen't know how to place his hands correctly consitantly on the shoulder pads, all things which can be fixed with repitition. I also saw a mean MFer who will punish the guy in front of him. He has the attitude. Something Seth Wand never had. He has the quickness and the foot speed. Just a 310 lump of clay looking for a good coach. I knida thought that was what we were looking for ? I could be wrong, but I think he has the best upside in the class.

Collins and Williams are by far the most polished now. I think Cousins passes them in his third year....about the same time you'd expect Salaam to hang them up. I'm wondering this off season if the staff would have ignored the film and selected Tony Ugoh in the third last year instead of Jacoby Jones, how much better off would the roster be ?

One last point; my guess is we are no longer looking for "monsters". We're looking for ZBS guys. The monster isn't that.

Well you have your choice each round to slecet Salaam some help. I see cousins as a guy who moved to the o-line late and is still raw. What I also saw is a very athletic tackle who needs to be coched up a bit. He doesn't know how to kick slde very well. He dosen't know how to place his hands correctly consitantly on the shoulder pads. I also saw a mean MFer who will punish the guy in front of him. He has the attitude. Someting Seth Wand never had. He has the quickness and the foot peed. Just a 310 lump of clay looking for a good coach. I knida thought that was what we were looking for ? I could be wrong, but I think he has the best upside in the class.

Collins and Williams are by far the most polished now. I think Cousins passes them in his third year....about the same time you'd expect Salaam to hang them up. I'm wondering this off season if the staff would have ignored the film and selected Tony Ugoh in the third last year instead of Jacoby Jones, how much better off would the roster be ?

Well seeing that Tony Ugoh went in the 2nd round...we wouldn't be much better off at all.

Is it this one
Well you have your choice each round to select Salaam some help. I see cousins as a guy who moved to the o-line late and is still raw. What I also saw is a very athletic tackle who needs to be coched up a bit. He doesn't know how to kick slde very well. He dosen't know how to place his hands correctly consitantly on the shoulder pads, all things which can be fixed with repitition. I also saw a mean MFer who will punish the guy in front of him. He has the attitude. Something Seth Wand never had. He has the quickness and the foot speed. Just a 310 lump of clay looking for a good coach. I knida thought that was what we were looking for ? I could be wrong, but I think he has the best upside in the class.

or this one

painekiller said "Also the odds are Salaam will be our OLT at the start of the year, even with taking a rookie 1st round "stud". "

And that is exactly the trouble. We're always patching instead of building. Wanna reach at least take the big TE for the OLT, cottom .
At least Gibbs has a history of doing that. Twenty-eight games and couting...What year was Lepsis in when he hung them up? Your basing the whole '08 Season and the QBs health on Salaam making it sixteen games once again with your draft. Lotta eggs in that basket. Good Luck.

BTW I was not saying to draft Cherilus, just that he is/was a monster who had the best week in Mobile. I did ask if he could play the LT position, but not for us

i saw that one, one of the reason for my question can he play LT? When Casserly was running the team I screamed when he signed Wade and paid him LT money, I screamed when he signed Victor Riley to play LT because Wade could not.

Well we have a good RT, but we also have an opening at RG. Could Winston become a RG and ...forget it.

We need either CB/RB/OLT/ fill in the blank in the 1st, and that blank would not be a RT that weighs in at 320.

Reports I read said the Atlanta OL is happy that Gibbs is gone, they had to weigh in under 300 lbs. and had troubles making that weight. They also commented on how it hurt their pass blocking.

Back