Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

1st win, season opener in 5 years

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Good post. Another reason why "context matters".
Context does not matter. For 5 years, the Texans could not win the game they have the most time to prepare for.

Doesn't matter who you're playing if you were wrong about your starting QB & make the change at half time of week one, or you're wrong about your OL & make a change in game 1, or you bring in a starting LT a week before the 1st game of the year.

BO'b simply had no clue & pretty much wasted every offseason training period.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Context does not matter. For 5 years, the Texans could not win the game they have the most time to prepare for.

Doesn't matter who you're playing if you were wrong about your starting QB & make the change at half time of week one, or you're wrong about your OL & make a change in game 1, or you bring in a starting LT a week before the 1st game of the year.

Well, that's a different type of context.

OB vs. The Elite QBs.

Easy to tell what will happen. :ahhaha:

Earl34

Hall of Fame

I agree with you. However. going against Brees, Mahomes and Brady on the road in your season openers, that's tough and the record is not unexpected. Even with everything you have listed, they lost to the Saints by two points and a blown coverage. They lost to the Pats by 7.

You even said it's a stupid stat. I agree. It's a stupid stat without context. So, what are you arguing about?

Last edited:
Let's see how week 2 goes.
Based on a Browns team that went toe to toe with the AFC Champions in their home stadium it does not look good for us. The way things went today for the Browns they will be ready to make up for a tough loss. I would say week 2 won't go so well. I hate that I feel that way but Trevor Lawrence was off on several passes, a few that had he connected, would have for sure exposed our weak secondary. No matter how good he is perceived to be he is a rookie who was in his first start in the NFL and he played like it. Up against a team that is much better at all positions we need a lot of luck or things to go our way to give us an ounce of a chance to win. Not likely.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Based on a Browns team that went toe to toe with the AFC Champions in their home stadium it does not look good for us. The way things went today for the Browns they will be ready to make up for a tough loss. I would say week 2 won't go so well. I hate that I feel that way but Trevor Lawrence was off on several passes, a few that had he connected, would have for sure exposed our weak secondary. No matter how good he is perceived to be he is a rookie who was in his first start in the NFL and he played like it. Up against a team that is much better at all positions we need a lot of luck or things to go our way to give us an ounce of a chance to win. Not likely.
Wouldn't say I disagree, but the Browns scored once in the second half after starting hot. They are still inconsistent and there is a chance for us to go 2-0.

Wouldn't say I disagree, but the Browns scored once in the second half after starting hot. They are still inconsistent and there is a chance for us to go 2-0.
My opinion is based on how TL and their offense was not able to exploit our secondary due to dropped passes and inaccurate passes. Had some of those errant passes and dropped passes been completions the game most likely would've been closer and we may even have lost.

We played better than I expected and that is a good thing. I just don't see us beating the best teams in the league. I will be happy if we compete and keep games close.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Very fair post.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There’s no overreaction at all. I don’t see nothing wrong with celebrating a pretty dominant win today. Some people had us losing and some had the game being pretty close.
The Texans are much better than some on this MB thought they would be. People dont like to be wrong.

Culley and staff had his team well prepared. I dont expect more than 5-6 wins. But it's hard to beat a team that can run the ball and their QB makes a few big plays every game, without turning the ball over.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Not negative at all. Just amused at the overreation to one game against a totally unprepared team with a rookie QB playing his 1st ever game, and looking the part.
Meh, we are used to the Texans being the unprepared team and also losing to rookie QB's, so it was a nice change. Doesn't mean they are going to win more than 4 games this season, but it also doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy the win. Which wouldn't have been a win for the last several seasons and many people here were expecting the same for this game.

It was a really low bar set and they exceeded it, but no one is calling them a good team. Let people enjoy the moment. Will have plenty of time this week to break down tape and gripe about all the things not done perfectly and precisely by a roster filled with below average talent.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Texans are much better than some on this MB thought they would be. People dont like to be wrong.

Culley and staff had his team well prepared. I dont expect more than 5-6 wins. But it's hard to beat a team that can run the ball and their QB makes a few big plays every game, without turning the ball over.
I don’t know how many games the Texans will win & really don’t want to “predict”

But I hope Nick & Culley are aiming at 10+ wins. Their ain’t no Patriot dynasties out there anymore. Only a bunch of teams trying to be the next Patriots dynasty, including the Patriots.

Not a team on our schedule that can’t be beat by a team that can run the ball, score on the ground with a QB who can make a few big plays & not turn the ball over.

Assuming they’ll get better every week & Tyrod stays healthy (not likely) it’s possible they can compete to win every game on the schedule. (that is not saying we could possibly win 17 games).

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Meh, we are used to the Texans being the unprepared team and also losing to rookie QB's, so it was a nice change. Doesn't mean they are going to win more than 4 games this season, but it also doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy the win. Which wouldn't have been a win for the last several seasons and many people here were expecting the same for this game.

It was a really low bar set and they exceeded it, but no one is calling them a good team. Let people enjoy the moment. Will have plenty of time this week to break down tape and gripe about all the things not done perfectly and precisely by a roster filled with below average talent.
Of course it was nice to see. But thinking we're making a run at a playoff berth.....a little much.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Nobody is thinking this is a run at a playoffs berth. Just a small step in the right direction.. Well actually a huge step because they were actually prepared on all three stages of the game.
You literally just mentioned a playoff run in post 22.

When I say successful, I’m talking about a winning record and hopefully a playoffs run. Anything under maybe 9 win isn’t what I would consider successful.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I agree with you. However. going against Brees, Mahomes and Brady on the road in your season openers, that's tough and the record is not unexpected. Even with everything you have listed, they lost to the Saints by two points and a blown coverage. They lost to the Pats by 7.

You even said it's a stupid stat. I agree. It's a stupid stat without context. So, what are you arguing about?
Here’s the deal though, if you are going to pretend to be competing with the Brees, Mahomes & Brady’s of this world, you are going to be scheduled against them and have to beat them. If you are going to pretend to be prime time, they are going to schedule those games at tough times in the season.

OB had a record built on beating lesser teams and only occasionally catching above .500 teams on a bad day. First game of the season teams aren’t likely to be weak through injury, beat up, or tired.
It’s stats like this that show the true nature of the Texans under OBrien.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
The Texans don't appear to be the worst team in the league, which is where most had us in the rankings. We should probably leave it at that for now and consider ourselves lucky. The Texans are just good enough to not get the first pick next year, but yet not bad enough to get in the mix for the best of the best QBs.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Here’s the deal though, if you are going to pretend to be competing with the Brees, Mahomes & Brady’s of this world, you are going to be scheduled against them and have to beat them. If you are going to pretend to be prime time, they are going to schedule those games at tough times in the season.

OB had a record built on beating lesser teams and only occasionally catching above .500 teams on a bad day. First game of the season teams aren’t likely to be weak through injury, beat up, or tired.
It’s stats like this that show the true nature of the Texans under OBrien.
Just wondering but you do know that the Texans have nothing to do with the schedule or what teams they play right? Not defending the level of play or the coaching but they have gotten some very tough schedules and it had nothing to do with them "pretending to be prime time" it was because they were division champions often because of how horrible the division was. Also overall the AFC is a stronger group of teams than the NFC last decade or so. So yeah not sure what this "pretending" line is because it really doesn't make any sense. The schedule is the schedule and you play against whatever teams they put you up against. Are you saying McNair, OB and the team should have gotten on the mic and said "Yeah we completely suck and have no business playing against these teams. NFL please give us an easy schedule so we don't have to pretend like we are any good."? I can guarantee you that Texans more than once got the schedule and thought that the football gods must hate them.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The Texans don't appear to be the worst team in the league, which is where most had us in the rankings. We should probably leave it at that for now and consider ourselves lucky. The Texans are just good enough to not get the first pick next year, but yet not bad enough to get in the mix for the best of the best QBs.
Yeah thats the thing, from a pure numbers point of view you either want to be a championship contender or you want to be a bottom 3 team. This 9-7, now to be 9-8, stuff actually hurts the team because it puts them far enough back in the draft that its hard to get the sought after positions like QB without selling the farm but they are not good enough to truly make a run. I would never want the team to lose or call for a tank but honestly after beating Dallas in the pre-season and winning a game so we won't go down as the first 0-17 team if the Texans don't win another game this season then I won't cry to many tears.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Just heard this on the radio. Stupid stat.
The Browns are now 0 fer 17 in openers.

There is one other fact that I don’t know if anyone has mention. No matter what else happens this season Texans will NOT be the first team to go 0-17.
The '72 Dolphins can't pop the cork on the champagne just yet. :)

The Texans don't appear to be the worst team in the league...
They certainly weren't the worst team in the game, yesterday.

Yep, this keyboard has been an issue lately.
Mine, too. Thinking about going back to the wired keyboard.