Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

19's Early Thoughts On The '23 draft

Just for the knowledge of the board: CBSsporta, Tankathon.com and Walter have him in 20s.
Drafttec has him ranked as #2 at slot WR and Draft Buzz has him ranked #1 at the WR position, which fits in with the boards listed above.

If both teams want Anderson, a second in '23 and a first in '24 may not be too much to ask. Since the Lions second, second rounder is at the bottom of the round, I'd even try to get that pick thrown in.
I did a 4 round mock with that 1 trade. #1 for Detroits #4,15,45,61 and a 2024 first. (Not really realistic but fun)
  • 4.Bryce Young QB Alabama
    trade icon
  • 13.Tyree Wilson EDGE Texas Tech
    15.Bryan Bresee DT Clemson
    trade icon

32.Michael Mayer TE Notre Dame
    45.John Michael Schmitz OC Minnesota
    trade icon

• 61.Steve Avila OG TCU
    trade icon
  • 64.Jack Campbell LB Iowa
    77.Devon Achane RB Texas A&M
    100.Ainias Smith WR Texas A&M

I did a 4 round mock with that 1 trade. #1 for Detroits #4,15,45,61 and a 2024 first. (Not really realistic but fun)
  • 4.Bryce Young QB Alabama
    trade icon
  • 13.Tyree Wilson EDGE Texas Tech
    15.Bryan Bresee DT Clemson
    trade icon

32.Michael Mayer TE Notre Dame
    45.John Michael Schmitz OC Minnesota
    trade icon

• 61.Steve Avila OG TCU
    trade icon
  • 64.Jack Campbell LB Iowa
    77.Devon Achane RB Texas A&M
    100.Ainias Smith WR Texas A&M
I like the idea of Mayer but there is no way he gets out of the top 15 - he is NFL ready and a beast.
He will also get better in the NFL. May not have great speed but is a great possession TE and a big dude.

I like the idea of Mayer but there is no way he gets out of the top 15 - he is NFL ready and a beast.
He will also get better in the NFL. May not have great speed but is a great possession TE and a big dude.

I like Darnell Washington (GA) a bit more. I also like Minnesota TE, Brevin Spann-Moore late in the draft. Nothing like having a couple of 6-7 @ 270 lb TE’s who can block and have enough speed to expose the seams.

Texans could have TE’s Jordan Aikens and Brevin Jordan in the fold and the 2 rookies would make this a much stronger unit in 2023. I’d like the Texans Red Zone 2 TE set a lot more with a couple of big arse TE’s that could block or punch a rusher while releasing and giving the QB a nice target.

Last edited:
I’m trading the first pick. Team that popped up and made the most sense….the Panthers. I believe that if the Panthers wanted to move up from 8 to 1, the price is going to favor the Texans.

The Panthers offered their 8, 38, 59, 2024 RD1 and RD2. I believe there would be a very good chance that the Texans could press and get the Panthers 2025 RD1 instead of a 2024 RD2.

TRADE I:
Panthers Get: RD1-001 (3,000)

Texans Get: RD1-008 (1,350), RD2-038 (500), RD2-059 (340), 2024 RD1, 2025 RD1

TRADE II:
Saints Get: RD6-192 (13), RD7-212 (5)

Texans Get: RD6-191 (13.4)

MOCK DRAFT:

RD1-008: OT- Peter Skoronski (Northwestern) 6-4 @ 315 lbs.
RD1-013: DE- Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech) 6-6 @ 275 lbs.

RD2-032: DB- JL Skinner (Boise State) 6-4 @ 220 lbs.
RD2-038: OC- John Michael-Schmitz (Minnesota) 6-4 @ 320 lbs.
RD2-059: LB- DeMarvion Overshown (Texas) 6-4 @ 224 lbs.

RD3-064: WR- Jalin Hyatt (Tennessee) 6-0 @ 180 lbs.
RD3-074: RB- Blake Corum (Michigan) 5-8 @ 210 lbs.

RD4-100: DT- Mazi Smith (Michigan) 6-3 @ 337 lbs.

RD5-132: DE- Mike Morris (Michigan) 6-6 @ 292 lbs.

RD6-164: OG- Cody Mauch (North Dakota State) 6-6 @ 303 lbs.
RD6-170: DB- Jaylon Carlies (Missouri) 6-3 @ 219 lbs.
RD6-187: TE- Zach Kuntz (Old Dominion) 6-8 @ 251 lbs.
RD6-190: TE- Brevin Spann-Ford (Minnesota) 6-7 @ 270 lbs.
RD6-191: DT- Habakkuk Baldonado (Pittsburgh) 6-5 @ 260 lbs.

If some of these players don’t seem familiar, take a moment and look them up.

Not a pretty draft b/c I focused on the trenches or Dirty Dozen….along with a couple of big bodied TE’s to go along with Aikens and Jordan. Both Kuntz and Spann-Ford can get up the seam as well as block. It would be nice to have a couple of big bodies like this to run 2-TE formations in the Red Zone or in Goal Line situations. This also includes a couple of big Safeties in Skinner and Carlies that could help in the run game and in covering the big TE’s that have been hard to stop.

I believe a trio of Metchie, Collins, and Hyatt would be pretty effective, especially with two of them more than capable of taking the top off defenses.

A duo of Pierce and Corum would be fun to watch from a standpoint that Corum has the ability to finally send Burkhead to the showers and become a far more effective change of pace RB for the Texans.

The OL picks would bring a nasty, play to the whistle, type of mentality to the OL. The group could literally replace the Center to RT. LT- Tunsil / LG- Green / OC- Michael-Schmitz / RG- Mauch / RT- Skoronski.

Wilson, Smith, Morris, and Baldonado would bring some nice help to the DL in helping to stop the run. I see Overshown as another Harris type that just improves the overall impact of the LB’ers. I missed out on my favorite ILB, Jack Campbell (Iowa) who was selected sooner than expected.

I’m trading the first pick. Team that popped up and made the most sense….the Panthers. I believe that if the Panthers wanted to move up from 8 to 1, the price is going to favor the Texans.

The Panthers offered their 8, 38, 59, 2024 RD1 and RD2. I believe there would be a very good chance that the Texans could press and get the Panthers 2025 RD1 instead of a 2024 RD2.

TRADE I:
Panthers Get: RD1-001 (3,000)

Texans Get: RD1-008 (1,350), RD2-038 (500), RD2-059 (340), 2024 RD1, 2025 RD1

TRADE II:
Saints Get: RD6-192 (13), RD7-212 (5)

Texans Get: RD6-191 (13.4)

MOCK DRAFT:

RD1-008: OT- Peter Skoronski (Northwestern) 6-4 @ 315 lbs.
RD1-013: DE- Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech) 6-6 @ 275 lbs.

RD2-032: DB- JL Skinner (Boise State) 6-4 @ 220 lbs.
RD2-038: OC- John Michael-Schmitz (Minnesota) 6-4 @ 320 lbs.
RD2-059: LB- DeMarvion Overshown (Texas) 6-4 @ 224 lbs.

RD3-064: WR- Jalin Hyatt (Tennessee) 6-0 @ 180 lbs.
RD3-074: RB- Blake Corum (Michigan) 5-8 @ 210 lbs.

RD4-100: DT- Mazi Smith (Michigan) 6-3 @ 337 lbs.

RD5-132: DE- Mike Morris (Michigan) 6-6 @ 292 lbs.

RD6-164: OG- Cody Mauch (North Dakota State) 6-6 @ 303 lbs.
RD6-170: DB- Jaylon Carlies (Missouri) 6-3 @ 219 lbs.
RD6-187: TE- Zach Kuntz (Old Dominion) 6-8 @ 251 lbs.
RD6-190: TE- Brevin Spann-Ford (Minnesota) 6-7 @ 270 lbs.
RD6-191: DT- Habakkuk Baldonado (Pittsburgh) 6-5 @ 260 lbs.

If some of these players don’t seem familiar, take a moment and look them up.

Not a pretty draft b/c I focused on the trenches or Dirty Dozen….along with a couple of big bodied TE’s to go along with Aikens and Jordan. Both Kuntz and Spann-Ford can get up the seam as well as block. It would be nice to have a couple of big bodies like this to run 2-TE formations in the Red Zone or in Goal Line situations. This also includes a couple of big Safeties in Skinner and Carlies that could help in the run game and in covering the big TE’s that have been hard to stop.

I believe a trio of Metchie, Collins, and Hyatt would be pretty effective, especially with two of them more than capable of taking the top off defenses.

A duo of Pierce and Corum would be fun to watch from a standpoint that Corum has the ability to finally send Burkhead to the showers and become a far more effective change of pace RB for the Texans.

The OL picks would bring a nasty, play to the whistle, type of mentality to the OL. The group could literally replace the Center to RT. LT- Tunsil / LG- Green / OC- Michael-Schmitz / RG- Mauch / RT- Skoronski.

Wilson, Smith, Morris, and Baldonado would bring some nice help to the DL in helping to stop the run. I see Overshown as another Harris type that just improves the overall impact of the LB’ers. I missed out on my favorite ILB, Jack Campbell (Iowa) who was selected sooner than expected.
Why draft a tackle at 8 when that's the strength of the team right now and neither are over 27 yrs old? How would you rate the Chiefs big bodied seam te's? Those players and this so called build the trenches seem antiquated imo. You can have all the trenches you want, but the qb is the most important guy.

Did you use a simulator for this mock?

1. I don't want a trade down out of the top 5
2. 59 is too high for Overshown
3. No way Hyatt makes it to the 3rd
4. I would rather a bigger back like Charbonnet, Miller or Johnson later in the draft
5. I like Kuntz at TE but not as much as some others earlier
edit: I want to see a DT (3 tech) added earlier such as Carter or Bresee

Last edited:
Why draft a tackle at 8 when that's the strength of the team right now and neither are over 27 yrs old? How would you rate the Chiefs big bodied seam te's? Those players and this so called build the trenches seem antiquated imo. You can have all the trenches you want, but the qb is the most important guy.

Trenches more often than not, make the QB. Not usually the other way around.

Chiefs offensive scheme and execution are apples…..Texans scheme is pure shite.

I’ve not been enamored with the OL for years. I’m hoping they add solid players who can immediately offer a replacement at RT…..and eventually a move over the LT when Tunsil’s contract is up.

Both of these TE’s can work the seam and should be effective targets in the Red Zone. The other positive is they can block. Texans haven’t used their TE’s like Kielce since Kubiak and Owen Daniels were in Houston. Texans want blocking TE’s who can catch.

Last edited:
Did you use a simulator for this mock?

1. I don't want a trade down out of the top 5
2. 59 is too high for Overshown
3. No way Hyatt makes it to the 3rd
4. I would rather a bigger back like Charbonnet, Miller or Johnson later in the draft
5. I like Kuntz at TE but not as much as some others earlier
edit: I want to see a DT (3 tech) added earlier such as Carter or Bresee

Hyatt’s projected draft position changes the moment he runs the 40. He could easily move into RD1 with a low 4.4 or high 4.3. I selected him b/c he was still there. I’d also like WR, A.T. Perry (Wake Forest) in that spot.

RB, Blake Corum is a spark plug that brings it all the time. He can run between the tackles or pop it outside b/c of his shiftiness and speed. This guy isn’t light at 5-8 @ 210 lbs……that’s a solid ball of muscle with a nose for the endzone. I’d really like him as a change of pace/3rd down back to replace Burkhead.

Hyatt’s projected draft position changes the moment he runs the 40. He could easily move into RD1 with a low 4.4 or high 4.3. I selected him b/c he was still there. I’d also like WR, A.T. Perry (Wake Forest) in that spot.

RB, Blake Corum is a spark plug that brings it all the time. He can run between the tackles or pop it outside b/c of his shiftiness and speed. This guy isn’t light at 5-8 @ 210 lbs……that’s a solid ball of muscle with a nose for the endzone. I’d really like him as a change of pace/3rd down back to replace Burkhead.
So which simulator did you use?

I like Washington/Kincaid and Musgrave in this yrs TE class. There's also some later rd TE's that I like.

You're right about the QB, that's why you don't pick one this yr

Although in the 3rd/4th rd I would take a flier on a guys like Duggan. He very well could be this yrs Purdy.

Trenches more often than not, make the QB. Not usually the other way around.

Chiefs offensive scheme and execution are apples…..Texans scheme is pure shite.

I’ve not been enamored with the OL for years. I’m hoping they add solid players who can immediately offer a replacement at RT…..and eventually a move over the LT when Tunsil’s contract is up.

Both of these TE’s can work the seam and should be effective targets in the Red Zone. The other positive is they can block. Texans haven’t used their TE’s like Kielce since Kubiak and Owen Daniels were in Houston. Texans want blocking TE’s who can catch.
If all your te can do is run a seam, then that's an issue. What made Daniels the best te in Texans history is he was shifty on those jerk routes and he had wiggle. Kelce is a different animal with his shiftiness. He's not a great blocker, he's a willing blocker. Daniels was a willing blocker also, but neither are great blockers.

Tunsil can play at his level until he's mid 30s easily. Good to great qbs make offensive lines that's why most teams don't spend alot of resources on the oline. Qb manipulation make up for missing or lacking pieces across oline.

Reactions: JB

I can watch Hyatt and know he's going to run 4.3s low 4.4 at best.

If all your te can do is run a seam, then that's an issue. What made Daniels the best te in Texans history is he was shifty on those jerk routes and he had wiggle. Kelce is a different animal with his shiftiness. He's not a great blocker, he's a willing blocker. Daniels was a willing blocker also, but neither are great blockers.

Tunsil can play at his level until he's mid 30s easily. Good to great qbs make offensive lines that's why most teams don't spend alot of resources on the oline. Qb manipulation make up for missing or lacking pieces across oline.

The TE’s are capable of doing more. They become (2) more TE pieces….added in RD6 to pair with Aikens and Jordan.

Tunsil’s next contract will be even more than his last one and I just don’t see him playing up to the next contract numbers. Time to start grooming a younger and cheaper alternative.

The TE’s are capable of doing more. They become (2) more TE pieces….added in RD6 to pair with Aikens and Jordan.

Tunsil’s next contract will be even more than his last one and I just don’t see him playing up to the next contract numbers. Time to start grooming a younger and cheaper alternative.
As long as they get it right and not hustle backwards. Its not like since Kubes left they have had success drafting o-line players. Now they could have Howard as the successor without spending draft capital and hoping its right. Tunsil is going to cost market rate which is what players should be. Until Tunsil got here post D.Brown, the team has been terrible drafting o-line players.

As long as they get it right and not hustle backwards. Its not like since Kubes left they have had success drafting o-line players. Now they could have Howard as the successor without spending draft capital and hoping its right. Tunsil is going to cost market rate which is what players should be. Until Tunsil got here post D.Brown, the team has been terrible drafting o-line players.

Like I mentioned, I’d easily invest in OT- Skoronski, OC- Michael-Schmitz, and OG- Mauch or OG- Vorhees. I don’t think any of these OL are going to let the team down that drafts them…I’d only hope it’s the Texans.

I’m also coming around on the idea of drafting a QB, but it’s not the everyone excited about. I’d take a flier on Hendon Hooker knowing he’s going to need 2023 to fully rebound. I’d also sign a FA veteran QB to challenge Mills in 2023 and at worse be there to mentor both QB’s. Hooker would benefit with a rehab season while he learns the system and gains a bit more strength. Currently, HH comes in at 6-4 and 218 lbs. If he entered the fray in 2024 at 225 to 228 lbs, that would be optimal.

Like I mentioned, I’d easily invest in OT- Skoronski, OC- Michael-Schmitz, and OG- Mauch or OG- Vorhees. I don’t think any of these OL are going to let the team down that drafts them…I’d only hope it’s the Texans.

I’m also coming around on the idea of drafting a QB, but it’s not the everyone excited about. I’d take a flier on Hendon Hooker knowing he’s going to need 2023 to fully rebound. I’d also sign a FA veteran QB to challenge Mills in 2023 and at worse be there to mentor both QB’s. Hooker would benefit with a rehab season while he learns the system and gains a bit more strength. Currently, HH comes in at 6-4 and 218 lbs. If he entered the fray in 2024 at 225 to 228 lbs, that would be optimal.
You do realize Hooker is going on 25 yrs old correct? I hear you about easily invest until you see Green struggle and Sio and Martin struggle as well. If Tunsil and Howard were in their 30s or about to be their, then ok, but Tunsil is in his absolute prime and Howard is about to hit his prime. Did you hear Chris Jones name in the game Sunday? That was Howard blocking him. I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of good young players to bank on a prospect and spend draft capital. There are planty of positions they can upgrade, but Tunsil and Howard would be at the bottom of that list.

You know with that kind of drafting you're passing on much needed starters and depth needed elsewhere on the team. It's not college with an unlimited roster and until they expand you can only carry 53 in the season

You do realize Hooker is going on 25 yrs old correct? I hear you about easily invest until you see Green struggle and Sio and Martin struggle as well. If Tunsil and Howard were in their 30s or about to be their, then ok, but Tunsil is in his absolute prime and Howard is about to hit his prime. Did you hear Chris Jones name in the game Sunday? That was Howard blocking him. I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of good young players to bank on a prospect and spend draft capital. There are planty of positions they can upgrade, but Tunsil and Howard would be at the bottom of that list.

Hooker may be 25 but he was the best CFB QB last season before his injury. This season wasn’t a fluke, he had even better numbers last season. At his age, he’ll be better prepared to handle the opportunity when he hits the field.

I picked up C- Michael-Schmitz b/c the team has an absolute need. Same goes for OG- Mauch….who I see as a plug-n-play RG. Now, the big question comes down to Skoronski….the best OT in the draft, isn’t a bad safety blanket to have for competition and/or backup this season. LT’s become highly desired in season should the team decide to add more draft capital to the 2024 draft.

My first mock - 2023 NFL User Mock Draft #1027481 | NFL Mock Draft Database
  • Trade Recap
  • Houston Receives:
    • 2023: Round 4, Pick 135
    • 2023: Round 5, Pick 146
    • 2024: Round 7
    Las Vegas Receives:
    • 2023: Round 3, Pick 102

• Houston Receives:
    • 2023: Round 7, Pick 254
    • 2023: Round 7, Pick 242
    • 2023: Round 7, Pick 241
    New York Receives:
    • 2023: Round 6, Pick 199

Did a PFN Mock tonight that looked pretty good….in Mock Land:

TRADE 1
Falcons Get:

Texans Get:
6, 38, 69, 2024 RD1 & RD2

TRADE 2
49’ers Get:
164, 172, 190, 192, 208

Texans Get:
153, 159

MOCK:
006: DT- Jalen Carter (Georgia)
011: DE- Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech)

032: DB- J.L. Skinner (Boise State)
038: OC- John Michael-Schmitz (Minnesota)
064: RB- Zach Charbonnet (UCLA)

069: LB- Jack Campbell (Iowa)
072: WR- A.T. Perry (Wake Forest)

100: OT- Tyler Steen (Alabama)

132: TE- Luke Schoonmaker (Michigan)
153: OG- Cody Mauch (North Dakota State)
159: DB- Jaylon Carlies (Missouri)

186: WR- Nathaniel Dell (Houston)

Back