Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

19's Early Thoughts On The '23 draft

Number19

Hall of Fame
It's early and I haven't given any thought on the draft until this past week. With the weather, today is a good day to start.

My initial position on QB was in line with Steel B's - to wait until next year. In '21 my position on Mills was that I liked the selection for the 3rd round with the idea he would be a solid backup if he didn't work out as a starter. I've seen enough and now think we need to select a QB, But after a little initial research, now take the position we should/will take one this year. Part of this is my belief there will be pressure within the organization to do so. The team will need a selection to generate excitement going into next season and QB is the position to accomplish this. But which QB?

Also, with the caveat, in my opinion, that we need to do everything possible to insure his success by fixing the offense, and that means directing the '23 draft toward this end ... at the expense of defense. I do have my doubts that Lovie will like this.

The question of which QB is one of deciding between the traditional pocket passer, C.J. Stroud, or the gunslinger, Bryce Young. There are other QB's in the mix for the '23 draft, but these two are acknowledged as, by far, the best and potentially, franchise, generational talents.

In the past I've always advocated for the pure pocket passer. This year I'm going outside my normal box and have Young as my number one choice...the gunslinger.

Fixing our OL will help negate Young's size limitations and concerns. I'm also aware that he had a minor throwing arm injury with his shoulder, against Arkansas, which caused him to miss the second half of that game and the following game against Texas A&M.

As to why I'm choosing Young, here are two links which influenced my decision. The first is a preseason analysis and the second is after 10 games this season.

I would do my homework, and if convinced the #2 team wanted Stroud, I would try to wrangle a swap. This is the only trade down I would consider and would insist on their second round selection. No second rounder, no deal. I want another two for my ideal draft.

So for our first pick .... Bryce Young.

For our second, first round, selection, Cleveland's pick, TCU WR Quentin Johnson.

With the return of John Metchie next season, slated for the Slot, and with Nico Collins at the number two WR position, Johnson would give us a formidable trio for Young.

The Texans need to fix their IOL. Period. No argument. To do this, I'm going to start in the second round. The player I want for RG is Florida State's O'Cyrus Torrence, who is rated, by many, as the best OG prospect in the draft. He's currently slotted for the mid second round.

If we can wrangle a swap with our first pick, I would trade down our #32 pick, more in line with Torrence's value, and would ask for a third rounder. Nothing less. No third, no trade. I really want another third.

With this pick I would select O'Cyrus Terrence for RG.

With the #33 pick, if we wrangle the swap, I'd give this pick to Lovie to address BPA for his defense.

With the 3rd round, the position I target is OC and the player I want is TCU's Steve Avila, although Minnesota's John Michael Schmitz and Arkansas's Ricky Stromberg are in the mix. One of these three, but Avila is my top pick at this time. I would use either Cleveland's pick for this selection, or if we wrangled a trade, maybe this selection.

With the Texans 3rd round pick, the first in the third, I'd target either TE or RB. I haven't done any research yet on these positions and could use suggestions. Maybe we could wrangle another trade down. My big question is whether these positions can be addressed in the 4th round, or are there prospects which really stand out and won't fall to the 4th. Depending on the answer to this question, I might give this selection to Lovie, or, if we wrangled a trade in the 2nd round, the third, round three, selection.

So to sum up:
1st...Bryce Young...QB
1st...Quentin Johnson...WR
2nd...O'Cyrus Terrence...RG
3rd...Steve Avila...OC
3rd...?...TE
4th...?...RB

Last edited:
It's early and I haven't given any thought on the draft until this past week. With the weather, today is a good day to start.

My initial position on QB was in line with Steel B's - to wait until next year. In '21 my position on Mills was that I liked the selection for the 3rd round with the idea he would be a solid backup if he didn't work out as a starter. I've seen enough and now think we need to select a QB, But after a little initial research, now take the position we should/will take one this year. Part of this is my belief there will be pressure within the organization to do so. The team will need a selection to generate excitement going into next season and QB is the position to accomplish this. But which QB?

Also, with the caveat, in my opinion, that we need to do everything possible to insure his success by fixing the offense, and that means directing the '23 draft toward this end ... at the expense of defense. I do have my doubts that Lovie will like this.

The question of which QB is one of deciding between the traditional pocket passer, C.J. Stroud, or the gunslinger, Bryce Young. There are other QB's in the mix for the '23 draft, but these two are acknowledged as, by far, the best and potentially, franchise, generational talents.

In the past I've always advocated for the pure pocket passer. This year I'm going outside my normal box and have Young as my number one choice...the gunslinger.

Fixing our OL will help negate Young's size limitations and concerns. I'm also aware that he had a minor throwing arm injury with his shoulder, against Arkansas, which caused him to miss the second half of that game and the following game against Texas A&M.

As to why I'm choosing Young, here are two links which influenced my decision. The first is a preseason analysis and the second is after 10 games this season.

I would do my homework, and if convinced the #2 team wanted Stroud, I would try to wrangle a swap. This is the only trade down I would consider and would insist on their second round selection. No second rounder, no deal. I want another two for my ideal draft.

For our second, first round, selection, Cleveland's pick, TCU WR Quentin Johnson.

With the return of John Metchie next season, slated for the Slot, and with Nico Collins at the number two WR position, Johnson would give us a formidable trio for Young.

The Texans need to fix their IOL. Period. No argument. To do this, I'm going to start in the second round. The player I want for RG is Florida State's O'Cyrus Torrence, who is rated, by many, as the best OG prospect in the draft. He's currently slotted for the mid second round.

If we can wrangle a swap with our first pick, I would trade down our #32 pick, more in line with Torrence's value, and would ask for a third rounder. Nothing less. No third, no trade. I really want another third.

With the #33 pick, if we wrangle the swap, I'd give this pick to Lovie to address BPA for his defense.

With the 3rd round, the position I target is OC and the player I want is TCU's Steve Avila, although Minnesota's John Michael Schmitz and Arkansas's Ricky Stromberg are in the mix. One of these three, but Avila is my top pick at this time. I would use either Cleveland's pick for this selection, or if we wrangled a trade, maybe this selection.

With the Texans 3rd round pick, the first in the third, I'd target either TE or RB. I haven't done any research yet on these positions and could use suggestions. Maybe we could wrangle another trade down. My big question is whether these positions can be addressed in the 4th round, or are there prospects which really stand out and won't fall to the 4th. Depending on the answer to this question, I might give this selection to Lovie, or, if we wrangled a trade in the 2nd round, the third, round three, selection.

So to sum up:
1st...Bryce Young...QB
3rd...Steve Avila...OC
3rd...?...TE
4th...?...RB

Solid approach with the offense in mind. I’m still on the opposite side of ball where defense receives the focus and the offense fills some much needed holes. Trading down in RD1 would still be huge if the right team is sitting at #3. DT, Jalen Carter would be received just as excitedly as a QB would be by Texans fans. I believe fans just want to see positive moves regardless of which side of the ball gets the focus. Every Texans fan should understand that the team is in a complete rebuild. Building a top notch defense wouldn’t hurt anyone’s feelings in 2023.

Solid approach with the offense in mind. I’m still on the opposite side of ball where defense receives the focus and the offense fills some much needed holes. Trading down in RD1 would still be huge if the right team is sitting at #3. DT, Jalen Carter would be received just as excitedly as a QB would be by Texans fans. I believe fans just want to see positive moves regardless of which side of the ball gets the focus. Every Texans fan should understand that the team is in a complete rebuild. Building a top notch defense wouldn’t hurt anyone’s feelings in 2023.
With Lovie as HC, if there is little or no pressure, I could see the draft going similarly to last year, with the first pick being either Anderson or Carter.

So to sum up:
1st...Bryce Young...QB
3rd...Steve Avila...OC
3rd...?...TE
4th...?...RB

I like it. Definitely want Caserio to draft this way if he drafts Young. Although I hope Caserio doesn't draft a QB, if he does I hope Young is the pick. He's got everything you want in a QB but size. If he was 6'3 220 Lbs he would be the perfect prospect. I dont think a guy that size has ever been a SB champion. Maybe Young is the unicorn, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Love the rest of your draft, only think I would do differently is if he's there is draft Darnell Washington. A 6'7 270 Lbs TE with speed to get down the seams. He's like having a 6th OL and will really help the run game.

I'm wanting to draft 2 of Schmitz/Stromberg/Avila/Patterson. They can all play C in addition to OG. I want to make sure that we never have to watch Q or that level player at C again.

I like it. Definitely want Caserio to draft this way if he drafts Young. Although I hope Caserio doesn't draft a QB, if he does I hope Young is the pick. He's got everything you want in a QB but size. If he was 6'3 220 Lbs he would be the perfect prospect. I dont think a guy that size has ever been a SB champion. Maybe Young is the unicorn, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Love the rest of your draft, only think I would do differently is if he's there is draft Darnell Washington. A 6'7 270 Lbs TE with speed to get down the seams. He's like having a 6th OL and will really help the run game.

I'm wanting to draft 2 of Schmitz/Stromberg/Avila/Patterson. They can all play C in addition to OG. I want to make sure that we never have to watch Q or that level player at C again.
If I have TE targeted with the Texan's third round pick, the first pick of the round, it would be worth while to spend draft capital to move back into the 2nd round to select Washington, but how high would we have to move and at what cost? I believe he is currently ranked #2 at his position.

If the Texans were to draft QB, would it be worth one of our 2024 1st round picks? I think I just might do it. I like what I've just read on this prospect.

If I have TE targeted with the Texan's third round pick, the first pick of the round, it would be worth while to spend draft capital to move back into the 2nd round to select Washington, but how high would we have to move and at what cost? I believe he is currently ranked #2 at his position.

If the Texans were to draft QB, would it be worth one of our 2024 1st round picks? I think I just might do it. I like what I've just read on this prospect.

I'm thinking

1-1 Young
1-10 Johnston
2-32 Washington
Rd.3 C/OG
Rd.3 C/OG

If you wanted to draft O'Cyrus in the 2nd, then I would look at drafting Stover from Ohio St. in the 3rd.

I'm thinking

1-1 Young
1-10 Johnston
2-32 Washington
Rd.3 C/OG
Rd.3 C/OG

If you wanted to draft O'Cyrus in the 2nd, then I would look at drafting Stover from Ohio St. in the 3rd.
I wouldn't have any disagreement with this modification to my basic plan at going all out offense with the draft. Avila has certainly been doing the job this year at LG. Having him at RG, where he does have experience, would be fine by me. And then going with either Schmitz or Stromberg at OC.

Doing just a cursory, quick check, I didn't find Stover. Full name and position?

I wouldn't have any disagreement with this modification to my basic plan at going all out offense with the draft. Avila has certainly been doing the job this year at LG. Having him at RG, where he does have experience, would be fine by me. And then going with either Schmitz or Stromberg at OC.

Doing just a cursory, quick check, I didn't find Stover. Full name and position?
Cade Stover- Ohio St. TE, 6'4 255 lbs. Probably runs in the 4.6 range. Good hands and is an above avg blocker.

So to sum up:
1st...Bryce Young...QB
3rd...Steve Avila...OC
3rd...?...TE
4th...?...RB
Avila is my guy, I like Terrance also, but I'm not going to continue to dump resources into the oline. I like Johnson alot, but if its between he and the Wilson, I'm taking Wilson because I can get Hyatt from Tennessee in the 3rd. He's a td waiting to happen and can take the top off defenses. He's not Tyreke Hill, but he dictates coverage the same with his speed. At te, I would bring back both Howard and Akins and skip that spot. Young and Stroud are a tossup for me. When Young played with a loaded deck, nobody held that against him. I don't think taking a qb is a panic move because I think both guys have been productive and have big upside. If the guy who touches the ball every offensive play is not playing well, then it has a down effect on the entire team. The qb is the ceo of the organization, plain and simple. He has to have a natural feel for the game that's fluid inside the game and constantly changing.

Question for you, between Kelce, Hockenstein,Waller ( when healthy) and Kittles, who do you think teams fear the most and why?

Question for you, between Kelce, Hockenstein,Waller ( when healthy) and Kittles, who do you think teams fear the most and why?

Kelce, just look at what he's doing without Hill this yr and he's a very good blocker too. Kittle when healthy can do some of the same things. I also think Goedert is very underrated too.

Avila is my guy, I like Terrance also, but I'm not going to continue to dump resources into the oline. I like Johnson alot, but if its between he and the Wilson, I'm taking Wilson because I can get Hyatt from Tennessee in the 3rd. He's a td waiting to happen and can take the top off defenses. He's not Tyreke Hill, but he dictates coverage the same with his speed. At te, I would bring back both Howard and Akins and skip that spot. Young and Stroud are a tossup for me. When Young played with a loaded deck, nobody held that against him. I don't think taking a qb is a panic move because I think both guys have been productive and have big upside. If the guy who touches the ball every offensive play is not playing well, then it has a down effect on the entire team. The qb is the ceo of the organization, plain and simple. He has to have a natural feel for the game that's fluid inside the game and constantly changing.
I seriously doubt Hyatt will be available in the third. I see him rated #1 at his position. He may go early, maybe top ten. But I agree, if both Johnson and Hyatt are available at Cleveland's pick, I'd likely go with Hyatt.

Who is Wilson?

It'd be nice if everyone would give a bit more info when referencing players. With just a last name, makes it hard to goggle/search. Without position, it's time consuming to scroll through each position looking for the name.

Not that much more typing effort to add the position in parenthesis to narrow the search for those of us who don't know all the prospects at all the positions.

Last edited:
I don't think Hyatt makes it to the 3rd rd.

Washington is a difference maker in both the run and pass game. One of the best TE prospects to come out in a while. Funny thing is he isn't even the best TE on his team. If you want to draft a TE a little later then Georgia TE Gilbert is a guy Caserio should look at. Supremely talented and can't get on the field because of Bowers/Washington.

I'm on board with Wilson, depending on who's on the board. Drafting Wilson and Washington is drafting to the strengths of this draft.

What rd do you start looking at trying to fix the C/OG positions?

I seriously doubt Hyatt will be available in the third. I see him rated #1 at his position. He may go early, maybe top ten. But I agree, if both Johnson and Hyatt are available at Cleveland's pick, I'd likely go with Hyatt.

Who is Wilson?
If they both come out then I like Johnson because of his size and that he plays for TCU. I think I'd just as soon have Cedric Tillman-wr at Tennessee in the second or third depending on who was available at the Cleveland pick in the first

It'd be nice if everyone would give a bit more info when referencing players. With just a last name, makes it hard to goggle/search. Without position, it's time consuming to scroll through each portion looking for the name.

Not that much more typing effort to add the position in parenthesis to narrow the search for those of us who don't know all the prospects at all the positions.

I'm very guilty of this and will try to improve.

Texas Tech Defensive End Tyree Wilson. A very talented DE who broke his foot and is out for the season. Leads the nation in putting pressure on the QB. He's got a bit of dawg in him in a good way.

I don't think Hyatt makes it to the 3rd rd.

Washington is a difference maker in both the run and pass game. One of the best TE prospects to come out in a while. Funny thing is he isn't even the best TE on his team. If you want to draft a TE a little later then Georgia TE Gilbert is a guy Caserio should look at. Supremely talented and can't get on the field because of Bowers/Washington.

I'm on board with Wilson, depending on who's on the board. Drafting Wilson and Washington is drafting to the strengths of this draft.

What rd do you start looking at trying to fix the C/OG positions?
You know I'm a Avila guy

You know I'm a Avila guy
I've backed off some for my support of Avila after watching yesterday's game. I don't recall a single play where he was heads up against a player; he was helping out the center or the tackle with double teams and on a few occasions pulling. He didn't make any mistakes, as I recall, wasn't pushed around. He doesn't appear to be "fat" but he's a mountain of flesh and appears to me to have short arms and short lower body. His movement appears lumbering, or lumbersome. I can see why he's projected at center and not as a guard. I need to see him next week and in the playoff games. As a center, though, just snap the ball and anchor. He would be hard to move playing in a box and he has sufficient movement skills to slide to either side as needed. Unfortunately I won't see him in this roll.

Any other eyes on opinion?

19, I mentioned a counterpoint of focusing on defense first. So I did a PFN Mock. Players have definitely been re-evaluated so it has changed the way the draft could go.

I accepted the trade offer for the #1 by the Lions. The Lions sent the Texans their 6, 12, 42, 61, and their 2024 RD1. Personally, I don’t think the Lions would give up that much to trade into the 1. However, their move up netted CJ Stroud which would be a justified trade by Lions fans.

I accepted a trade offer from the Giants for the Texans 42 & 218. The Texans received their 56 & 99 in return. I made the trade b/c my OL targets were gone much earlier than expected. Liked the idea of seeing the 218th pick moved to 99.

The Mock:
006: DT, Jalen Carter (Georgia / 6-3 @ 300 lbs)
007: DE, Myles Murphy (Clemson / 6-5 @ 275 lbs)
012: DE, Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech / 6-6 @ 275 lbs)

032: OT, Peter Skoronski (Northwestern)
056: TE, Darnell Washington (Georgia)
061: SS, Jordan Battle (Alabama / 6-1 @ 206 lbs)

064: RB, Zach Charbonnet (UCLA)
068: LB, DeMarvion Overshown (Texas / 6-4 @ 224 lbs)
099: LB, Jack Campbell (Iowa / 6-5 @ 246 lbs)

100: WR, AT Perry (Wake Forest)

132: OC, Olusegun Oluwatimi (Michigan)

164: RG, Zak Zinter (Michigan)
176: RB, Roschon Johnson (Texas)
186: OT, Cody Mauch (North Dakota State)
188: WR, Nathaniel Dell (Houston)
193: CB, Jaylon Jones (Texas A&M / 6-2 @ 205 lbs)

I know some of the players probably wouldn’t be in these spots, but that’s what a Mock does…keeps one from just cherry picking their players.

I believe both the offense and defense would be addressed in a way that builds out the core of the team for the 2023 season. By giving Lovie this much talent…..he better not bring a team to the field that can’t tackle of cover the soft spot in his Tampa 2 zone coverage. Big LB’ers that can play the run and disrupt the intermediate passing game should be exactly what Lovie has needed.

Michigan teammates could really shore up center and RG fairly quick, while Skoronski cuts his NFL teeth at RT. NDST Mauch could spend a season developing as a swing tackle. His spot would be determined by Skoronski’s eventual move to LT unless Mauch could handle the position.

Carter, Murphy and Wilson! Who can say anything bad. All are on my current short list of players I'm paying attention to. We could get two of the three without any trading if we went defense.

This guy has Kelce traits
Nah, not Washington. Basically, you need te with wr skills. Basically a blown up wr. You see Thomas, the ex qb who is with Washington? Kelce was a qb and wr. Owen Daniels the same. Gronk is the exception. We've never seen a guy that size with his shiftiness who can maul on the ol. BOB thought Fido was it , but we knew better. Last year, I was high on Woods, virginia te and Isaiah Likely from coastal carolina. Likely looks that dude already in the passing game. Find me a guy like that and coaching can teach him how to block as long as he willing. Its easier to teach a guy to block than the nuances of the passing game, imo.

I've backed off some for my support of Avila after watching yesterday's game. I don't recall a single play where he was heads up against a player; he was helping out the center or the tackle with double teams and on a few occasions pulling. He didn't make any mistakes, as I recall, wasn't pushed around. He doesn't appear to be "fat" but he's a mountain of flesh and appears to me to have short arms and short lower body. His movement appears lumbering, or lumbersome. I can see why he's projected at center and not as a guard. I need to see him next week and in the playoff games. As a center, though, just snap the ball and anchor. He would be hard to move playing in a box and he has sufficient movement skills to slide to either side as needed. Unfortunately I won't see him in this roll.

Any other eyes on opinion?
You said alot, which is great. He didn't get pushed around. He's not fat, but he's a mountain of a man. The only time people notice ol play is when they get beat or pushed around.

You said alot, which is great. He didn't get pushed around. He's not fat, but he's a mountain of a man. The only time people notice ol play is when they get beat or pushed around.
Since Johnson (WR) was held out as a cautionary move recovering from minor injury, I concentrated on Avila every play.

Nah, not Washington. Basically, you need te with wr skills. Basically a blown up wr. You see Thomas, the ex qb who is with Washington? Kelce was a qb and wr. Owen Daniels the same. Gronk is the exception. We've never seen a guy that size with his shiftiness who can maul on the ol. BOB thought Fido was it , but we knew better. Last year, I was high on Woods, virginia te and Isaiah Likely from coastal carolina. Likely looks that dude already in the passing game. Find me a guy like that and coaching can teach him how to block as long as he willing. Its easier to teach a guy to block than the nuances of the passing game, imo.
Have you watched Washington?
He's the blocking TE.

I liked Woods too

Have you watched Washington?
He's the blocking TE.

I liked Woods too
Yeah, thats kinda my point. I would prefer a te who has shiftiness inside vs a blocking te. In a dream scenerio, a player is Gronk, but if the team can get a guys with size and movement skills, he puts more presure on the defense. I don't see Washington as that guy.

Yeah, thats kinda my point. I would prefer a te who has shiftiness inside vs a blocking te. In a dream scenerio, a player is Gronk, but if the team can get a guys with size and movement skills, he puts more presure on the defense. I don't see Washington as that guy.

He's got plenty of speed to get down the seam. He's quite the athlete for a guy his size.

I am interested in why you feel like Hyatt will drop to the third round?

He's got plenty of speed to get down the seam. He's quite the athlete for a guy his size.
I'm not debating you on getting down the seam. OJ and Akins can do that with ease, but can Washington catch and run off an option route? Does he have wiggle in the field? If you're just a big,lumbering guy, they will jam you at the los. By the time you get rolling, the qb is off you as a read. Gronk was more than a seam te at his size. He had wiggle at his stem and could create separation. Washington might be one of those guys who are better at the pro level vs college. I still wouldn't take him before the 4th round.

I'm not debating you on getting down the seam. OJ and Akins can do that with ease, but can Washington catch and run off an option route? Does he have wiggle in the field? If you're just a big,lumbering guy, they will jam you at the los. By the time you get rolling, the qb is off you as a read. Gronk was more than a seam te at his size. He had wiggle at his stem and could create separation. Washington might be one of those guys who are better at the pro level vs college. I still wouldn't take him before the 4th round.

I remember Washington hurdling a guy at his size. I think he's got the athleticism to be a real difference maker. They use Bowers to do some of the things you're talking about and mostly use Washington as a blocker. But the talent is there to be so much more. IMHO

I remember Washington hurdling a guy at his size. I think he's got the athleticism to be a real difference maker. They use Bowers to do some of the things you're talking about and mostly use Washington as a blocker. But the talent is there to be so much more. IMHO
Maybe they know his limitations. Bowers is a Y-Flex move te much like the successful ones in the nfl. A team may tell Washington to gain 20lbs and play tackle like Duane Carswell of Denver.

Maybe they know his limitations. Bowers is a Y-Flex move te much like the successful ones in the nfl. A team may tell Washington to gain 20lbs and play tackle like Duane Carswell of Denver.
Could be or it could be Smart is using his guys the way he does to give his team it's best chance to win. Anyways, Washington is really athletic for a guy his size.

Back