Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

1984 Oilers

G

God of Wine

This game brought back memories of when the Oilers started 0-10, went in to KC and beat them 17-16(I think), I just remember having a quick pass(just like the one to Armstrong) being the play to set up the game winning field goal. Same camera angle and everything. Anyone else remember?? :popcorn:

A little before my time. My memories of the Chiefs are of Moon throwing for 500 something yards (good) and the last playoff game in Oiler history when the Montana led Chiefs beat us (bad). That touchdown where the guy threw the ball at Buddy Ryan's banner....still have that etched into my brain.

Any team that uses a prevent defense to blow a playoff game that they led 34-3 in the third quarter doesn't belong in Houston. They should go someplace that doesn't matter--like Tennessee, lol.

From houstonprofootball.com

November 11, 1984: K Joe Cooper's 44-yard field goal snaps Houston's 23-game road losing streak, the longest such drought in NFL history. The game also marks the first NFL victory for Warren Moon, who had been a dismal 0-10 since signing with the Oilers.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/dream/week17.html

2e_1.JPG

Swisher - how grand is that, the owner puts his picture (and largest) right in front of the derrick? Good to know where the team's priorities were. :hehe:

Actually this game reminds me of when The Oilers beat KC in Houston 7-6 on a Brent Pease bootleg from the 1yrd line. The legendary Nick Lowery missed an extra point attempt when KC scored first in the game. Anyhow forget all that. We have a new team and new season.

A4toZ said:
Swisher - how grand is that, the owner puts his picture (and largest) right in front of the derrick? Good to know where the team's priorities were. :hehe:

Yeah, I noticed that. I think they were celebrating 25 seasons but its still terrible...could you imagine Bob McNair doing that? Uh, No.

What a great reminder of how little I miss that team. Tennessee, now entering a long and slow decline, will soon see what they paid for!

Bud's head is bigger than about 10 of the players on that cover art! What an amazing ego. Coming soon to a Nashville outhouse near you...

swisher said:
From houstonprofootball.com

November 11, 1984: K Joe Cooper's 44-yard field goal snaps Houston's 23-game road losing streak, the longest such drought in NFL history. The game also marks the first NFL victory for Warren Moon, who had been a dismal 0-10 since signing with the Oilers.
The Lions beat that record...

Yeah, I don't forget the history of the Oilers. Hate Bud, hate the Titans, but like it or not the Oilers are the fore fathers of the Texans.

BTW you can always find old Oiler games on tape if you look for them on ebay. I just bought the 79 playoff game against the Chargers. Great game! Vernon Perry had 4 interceptions and should of had a 5th. I was way too young (four to be exact) to remember the game. It's nice to be able to see it as it was back then. And kinda cool to see Gifford Neilson playing QB for the Oilers!

http://search.ebay.com/oilers-vhs_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8

It's an NFL thing. They don't allow it. I think they prefer their history to be shown through the eyes of NFL Films with background music, which is not such a bad idea. NFL Films is a pretty big part of the NFL package.

The NFL Network has started to show some rebroadcasts of games, but only from the past few years. I've never seen anything very old. And they're edited.

Back