You're my boy BLUE

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. Blue 36 156 0 21

335Texans%20Browns%20Football.JPEG

20141116_TexansBrowns_SNP_43-300x242.jpg

k--850x560.jpg

Lets discuss this football mans coming out party! 36(!!!) carries for a buck fifty-six, and more importantly, relieving pressure from our QB's first NFL start. Forced the Browns to put 8 in the box and more importantly kept the chains moving. He's certainly no Arian Foster, but when called to perform this time, he certainly delivered.

tumblr_inline_mw9yqpMCTP1rciqtz.jpg

Did that other high-paid RB just become a tad more expendable? ;)

Kidding aside, Blue had a good game, but IMO, the OL had a better one. They not only won the trench battle, they mauled.

Their dline was also missing a ton of players. Blue had a good day but if Foster was out there yesterday, he may have been looking at 200+ yards and the team winning by a much larger score margin. Blue is Blue and Foster is Foster. They are worlds apart.

Blue had a good game, but imo, the oline created holes that any back could've run through. The difference between Blue and Foster is still night and day, imo. Blue doesn't have the vision and instinct Foster has when those holes aren't there.

Foster just can't stay on the field

Their dline was also missing a ton of players. Blue had a good day but if Foster was out there yesterday, he may have been looking at 200+ yards and the team winning by a much larger score margin. Blue is Blue and Foster is Foster. They are worlds apart.

Yep. Blue kept running into the backs of his o-line at first. The passing game helped the Browns back off a bit and helped create opportunities for Blue to get going.

Blue had a good game, but imo, the oline created holes that any back could've run through. The difference between Blue and Foster is still night and day, imo. Blue doesn't have the vision and instinct Foster has when those holes aren't there.

Running backs, good running backs, are still a dime a dozen. Any team that expends higher than a 3rd round pick on a back in the Draft is foolish IMO, there's just too many backs coming out of college every year who can run thru a hole in the line (if a team has a line that can create holes) and do something with it when they get into the secondary.

No one is saying Blue is the next Foster, he's got a long ways to go to get to that level. Still he deserves a hot shower, cold beer, and patt on the back for a job well done.

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. Blue 36 156 0 21

[imgwidthsize=600]http://pics.mcclatchyinteractive.com/wire_photos/aw8c39/picture3968702/alternates/FREE_960/335Texans%20Browns%20Football.JPEG[/IMgwidthsize]
[imgwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2014/11/20141116_TexansBrowns_SNP_43-300x242.jpg[/IMG]
[imgwidthsize=600]http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/279/files/2014/11/k--850x560.jpg[/IMG]

Lets discuss this football mans coming out party! 36(!!!) carries for a buck fifty-six, and more importantly, relieving pressure from our QB's first NFL start. Forced the Browns to put 8 in the box and more importantly kept the chains moving. He's certainly no Arian Foster, but when called to perform this time, he certainly delivered.
I didn't see much off schedule stacked box, but I did see Blue exhibit unexpected (by me, anyway) patience. And some good run-blocking persistence by the O-line.

Right. Grimes had 54 yards on 13 carries. Not to take anything away from Blue who more than exceeded expectations, but he's no Foster.

And don't forget, there wasn't a single target to a RB in this game. Foster brings so much more.

He did a great job.

But it was against the Browns who have a weakness against the run.

I think if that had been Foster back there given the same holes, it would have been a much, much bigger blowout.

Foster would have had a field day out there yesterday. Someone upthread mentioned 200+ yard game and I agree completely.

That said, let's appreciate what our rookie RB did yesterday. That was truly a team win, and his stats represent how will his offense played. Very cool that we lose one of the better RBs in the league and his backup came in and played great.

I'm very happy that Blue had a breakout game, but I have to mention that Cleveland has a terrible run defense. Still happy for him though.

And comparing to Foster, Foster has earned every penny of his contract. He is a special football player who adds an extra dimension to an offense.

I know it's cliche but dang Blue was almost always 'Falling Forward'. He and Foster make a solid duo.

His dad works at the same place has me LOL

I hope he has success and gets PAYED

and we Dump that Bum Foster LOL .. o but wait we already over payed him thanxs RICK SMITH !!!

I'm very happy that Blue had a breakout game, but I have to mention that Cleveland has a terrible run defense. Still happy for him though.

And comparing to Foster, Foster has earned every penny of his contract. He is a special football player who adds an extra dimension to an offense.

Agree completely about Foster. They showed a stat in the post-game that the Texans were 1-11 when Foster was not starting. Make that 2-11 now.

I think Ted Johnson nailed it when talking about Arian's personality clouding people's perspective about him as a football player. He asked the question that if Foster had the good ol' boy attitude that Earl has, would Houston fans feel different about him. I think so. Some people are unable to be objective and judge the player because of what they think of the man.

In game vs Jax....

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Alfred Blue first player in #Texans history with rushing, receiving, return TD in season. #NFL

In game vs Jax....

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Alfred Blue first player in #Texans history with rushing, receiving, return TD in season. #NFL

JJ needs a rushing to eclipse that

Blue uses offseason workouts to ensure Texans like what they see

After a surprising rookie year, Blue works hard to give Texans more proof he belongs

home_premium_promo_module_2.jpg

Running back Alfred Blue has devoted April to strengthening his body and making sure he doesn't get overlooked when the Texans determine their 2015 roster.

The heat hasn't hit yet. The saturation hasn't begun. But Allen Parkway is heading one way, Memorial Parkway the other and Alfred Blue isn't going anywhere.

The second-year Texans running back is stuck. The steep hill Blue has been sprinting up, down and around only seems taller 30 minutes into a three-hour session. And while Spotts Park is perfectly calm and serene in its early April beauty - greening trees, thickening grass, singing birds - Blue's face already is dripping with sweat and his legs are tightening up.

"You're not one of those guys who only wants the ball 10 times," said James Cooper, Blue's personal trainer. "You want it 33 times. You're saying, 'Give it to me, coach.' "

Cooper keeps giving it to Blue. As sprints, sideways slides and uphill blasts continue, Blue's body pumps out water. The trainer pushes, nudges, talks down and pumps up his gasping pupil.

"You were moonwalking on your last step," Cooper said.

Another sprint.

"Thirty minutes into it, and that's your first rep," Cooper said.

Before the next one, Blue asks his trainer to fix a stretched-out band the running back is about to leap over. Cooper fulfills the request, then keeps firing away.

"Oh, you want me to fix the other one, too?" Cooper said. "We got some lemon water when you get to the top."

Blue hops over both bands, breaks free of the barriers, hits turbo toward the top and outraces a nearby wide receiver.

"That's it, Blue!" Cooper said. "Nothing wrong with a little competition."

That's all Blue wants: real competition. It's Year Two for Texans coach Bill O'Brien and Blue. His rookie season was a sweet surprise for a sixth-round pick coming off an anterior cruciate ligament injury. His second season is about staying power and lasting proof in pro football.

King of the hill

While the NFL narrows its focus toward the April 30-May 2 draft, Blue is doing everything he can to leave his first year behind. He must be bigger, faster, stronger and more complete in 2015. He has to prove to the Texans that he belongs. To do so, Blue has put his offseason in Cooper's hands and paired up with once-exiled running back Adrian Peterson in an attempt to mirror A.P.'s 2012 rise from ACL surgery.

"They tell you every year that nobody's set, nobody's safe," Blue said. "You've got to come in every year like you just got drafted or like you're an undrafted free agent trying to make the team."

Peterson has a day off. He's in New York to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, trying to be reinstated to the league.

Cooper has Blue all to himself.

Spotts Park is almost empty and nearly silent. Then a muscled-up car rolls into a parking lot. Blue wheels by, smiling. He emerges in a tight black Texans T-shirt and bright neon-green shoes. He walks toward the top of a hill, picks up an elastic belt and begins stretching.

"Let's go," Cooper said. "High knees."

Workout No. 1 begins. For the next hour, Blue is locked onto the hill. He races backward like a cornerback preparing for the scouting combine. He runs east to west, then fires north like a wide receiver. He echoes Hall of Fame running back Walter Payton and so many others whose offseasons have been devoted to an unmovable, unbeatable earthen object.

"We do a little bit of everything. You might consider it unorthodox or different," said unsigned wide receiver Ryan Whalen, who spent 2011-13 with Cincinnati and is trying to return to the league.

Cooper, who has seen the best of Peterson up close for years, wants Blue to be special. The second-year back possesses the body, athleticism and innate potential. But there's a mindset he's just beginning to understand and an altered lifestyle that's in infancy.

"We teach you how to be a professional and how to live as a professional in the NFL for longevity," said Cooper, who has trained, among others, NBA great Kevin Garnett and ex-Rocket Robert Horry.

The hill is about inner drive, personal willpower and untapped ambition. It's also completely practical.

Cooper wants Blue to increase his burst capability, power-up his legs and learn how to reach the second level of NFL defenses faster. Texans starter Arian Foster is famous for his on-field vision, brilliant cutbacks and artistic running grace. Blue must fine-tune his own unique style while improving his burst at the line of scrimmage and finesse once exiting the gate.

"He has to stay consistent," Cooper said. "When he gets that small window of playing time … the team has to believe in him. But he has to make them believe in him."

So Cooper breaks Blue down and builds him back up minute-by-minute.

The trainer: "(Your leg) is supposed to be tight. Look at all the (stuff) we do."

"You look like a ballerina."

"You want me to help you up? You got down there yourself."

The athlete: gasping, bending over, kneeling down, then rising back up and readying for more.

"I love what he does," Blue said. "He over-pushes you, and that's kind of what you need to be. It's that grind that gets you where you are today. And a lot of guys, they lose that."

Hitting the iron

Trees and grass give way to cold iron.

Blue stretches his back over a worn-out bench, breathes deep, then thrusts 185 pounds into the air multiple times inside a tiny gym.

He transfers stations, squatting, lifting and jerking heavier weight that is soon thrown back against a mat.

"Lock it up for me," said Cooper, who'll open his own gym, O Athletik, in early June in Houston.

The repetitions are repeated. Pull-ups and oversized exercise balls follow. As Blue reaches 265 pounds - pushing, holding and repeating again and again - Cooper tells a Peterson story.

As A.P. became great, he worked out on his own during the season. While teammates practiced, rested and waited for the next game, Peterson would bench 405 pounds like it was nothing.

"A.P., man," Blue said. "There's only a few guys that you work out with that you can definitely tell got it. He's on a different level.

"You see it in his eyes: 'I'm going to show the world. When I get back out there, I'm going to break it this time.' "

Doing it the Watt way

Air-conditioning pumps cool air into a small room. Blue leans his body into a plush couch and aligns his rookie season with the upcoming year.

His personal message to the Texans in 2014: "Don't overlook me."

His message a season later, as Foster remains locked in as the Texans' No. 1 back and premier prospects such as Melvin Gordon and Todd Gurley wait for new pro teams: "Show them that I belong here and show them that I need a much stronger role on the team."

Blue has changed his diet, picked up All-Pro defensive end J.J. Watt's nutritional supplement plan and intends to space out organized team activities by training with the two-time defensive player of the year.

"Watt works out during the season five times a week," Blue said. "You see other guys and they just do the minimum. You see J.J. Watt and he grinds every day."

The Texans saw a glimpse of the real Blue in 2014. They want more. He wants the same. While pro football waits for the hype of the draft, Blue sprints up an unforgiving hill and lifts cold iron. He's just one year into his career. But he's already a year closer toward the end, and the running back knows the NFL doesn't wait for anyone.

"You have to do it," Blue said. "You have to sacrifice different stuff to get where you want to be."

Hills, weights, etc. won't improve his vision running the ball. I like his attitude, but until he can show me an inkling of patience and vision I'll continue to root for Grimes as our #2.

Initially, I was questioning why people wanted to draft a RB. After watching a majority of the season over again I saw Blue wasn't as good as I thought he was. I reckon we'll draft one the 2nd or 3rd day of the draft.

Hills, weights, etc. won't improve his vision running the ball. I like his attitude, but until he can show me an inkling of patience and vision I'll continue to root for Grimes as our #2.

Initially, I was questioning why people wanted to draft a RB. After watching a majority of the season over again I saw Blue wasn't as good as I thought he was. I reckon we'll draft one the 2nd or 3rd day of the draft.

I like David Johnson out of Northern Iowa but this kid named Crockett out of North Dakota State University seems like a guy that can be a real sleeper.

I agree, watching him run was painful. He just runs into the back of his blockers every time. Never seems to find a crease/hole like Foster.

I agree that he needs to improve his field vision, but I actually like Blue's downhill style. I feel like it's a better complement to Arian's one-cut read-and-react. The one game he was outstanding, came with Mallet's super quick no-huddle option. Being able to immediately smash the whole took advantage of the defense not having time to get in position.

I agree, watching him run was painful. He just runs into the back of his blockers every time. Never seems to find a crease/hole like Foster.

The weird thing is, if you watch the Browns game, he did not do that very often. He was finding cut back lanes, and was getting skinny in the hole. If he could just watch that game and reproduce that style, he would be much improved. He was absolutely killing the Browns.

In the Browns game I think Blue practiced all week as the #1 and had enough carries to get into a rhythm (well...and the Browns run D is soft). Its good the see the young man getting how to be a pro in the off season, and child abuser or not, he was able to see how the best back of this era trains by watching AD.

It may not give him better vision, but it should still pay dividends and help the team.

The Browns had the 32nd ranked rushing D last season and he managed to underperform their normal suck average given up of 4.5 ypc with an impressive 4.3 ypc. Blue's other decent day came against the 30th ranked Giants.

Other than doing OK against suck Ds, he sucked. As in 2.4 ypc sucked.

The Browns had the 32nd ranked rushing D last season and he managed to underperform their normal suck average given up of 4.5 ypc with an impressive 4.3 ypc. Blue's other decent day came against the 30th ranked Giants.

Other than doing OK against suck Ds, he sucked. As in 2.4 ypc sucked.

Certainly not very impressive.

From ProFootballFocus 4/23/15: Impact of Defensive Packages on Yards Per Carry – 2015:

There are a ton of underwhelming backs on this list, but there are several who should jump off the page.

Alfred Blue emerged as Arian Foster’s handcuff last season, but Houston’s 2014 sixth-round pick was not very good. He finished right there with free agent Ben Tate as the least-effective back in the league. Blue averaged a league-worst 2.7 YPC vs. base defenses and 4.1 vs. Nickel. Blue has intriguing size (6’2”/222) and is only 24, but it’s fair to expect the Texans to find a new backup for Foster via the draft.

I was impressed with him in the fact that he exceeded my very low expectations for him. We need a #2 with a little more get up.

The weird thing is, if you watch the Browns game, he did not do that very often. He was finding cut back lanes, and was getting skinny in the hole. If he could just watch that game and reproduce that style, he would be much improved. He was absolutely killing the Browns.

Not really. Didn't he have like 150 yards on something like 38 attempts ? He only killed them because of the number of attempts.

Not really. Didn't he have like 150 yards on something like 38 attempts ? He only killed them because of the number of attempts.

Well, I just rewatched the game the other day, and that is not how it went down in my eyes. He was killing them from the very first play. I think it had more to do with how bad they were with run defense than how good he was at running the ball. But he was finding lanes, he was cutting back and not just running into the backs of blockers as much as he did other games.

Football 101: Alfred Blue's skillset
John Harris|Texans Analyst

It’s not often that rookies selected in the sixth round of the NFL Draft make a significant impact in year one. A handful of players selected in 2014’s sixth round were released and have moved on to another team. Some spent the year on the practice squad. Some are out of football altogether just one year later.

That was not the case with the Texans’ second sixth round selection in 2014. With the pick the Texans acquired from the Oakland Raiders in the Matt Schaub trade, they selected a running back from LSU that had long been overshadowed by a group of talented skill players down on the bayou.

However, it didn’t take long for Alfred Blue to make his presence known in Houston. Just one quarter into the opening game of his rookie campaign versus the Washington Redskins, the former LSU product knifed through the line, blocked a punt, recovered the loose ball and ran it in for the first touchdown of his career. It was one of his four touchdowns on the season - the aforementioned blocked punt return, two rushing touchdowns and one receiving. He was one of only two Texans players to record a touchdown in three different ways. What kind of company did he keep as a rookie?

J.J. Watt was the other Texan who found three different ways to score a touchdown.

When Arian Foster injured his groin early in training camp, the debate began whether Blue was ready to step into the starting role for a significant period of time. In 2014, Blue was forced into Foster’s shoes in a couple of games, including the team’s win over Cleveland. In that game, Blue ran the ball a whopping 36 times, more than half of his senior season rushing total at LSU. Blue got stronger with more carries as the game wore on; he eventually finished with 156 yards on those three dozen carries.

Foster is one of the special players in this league, so no one can step in and 100% replicate his production in all three phases - run game, pass game and pass protection. However, as a rookie, Blue showed flashes that he can handle any responsibility put in front of him. Let’s examine one of those phases, breaking down an inside zone run that highlighted Blue’s burgeoning and improving running skills.

500blue.jpg

The Texans aligned in the shotgun with Blue next to QB Ryan Mallett, with TE/H-Back Garrett Graham in a traditional fullback alignment. Mallett changed the play, and the run blocking responsibility, a few times just before the ball was snapped.

Eventually, he settled on an inside zone play, similar to the split zone, but with a few wrinkles. Instead of the left side of the line crashing down to the right as in a true zone play, they blocked the covered linemen over them, leaving Graham responsible for the off the ball linebacker #58.

Picture-No-2---Blue.png

As the play transpired, the front side linebacker Craig Robertson No. 53 saw a hole develop immediately and he shot directly into the B gap (between guard and tackle). Blue immediately spied Robertson and changed course.

Picture-No-3---Blue.png

Blue’s eyes then shot to the backside where left guard Ben Jones had locked on his responsibility, left tackle Duane Brown had his man under control and Graham had eyes for the inside linebacker.

Picture-No-4---Blue.png

Blue’s vision brought him back to the middle of the field where seemingly a substantial hole developed.

Picture-No-5---Blue.png

But, the inside linebacker played off Graham’s block well and Donte Whitner, the Browns safety, closed on the ball quickly. The hole was open but it doesn’t stay open long in the NFL. Blue found that out in a hurry. However, take a look at where the Browns defenders made contact with him in picture number five. Blue hadn’t even gotten to the helmet logo at midfield.

Picture-No-6---Blue.png

But, look where he ended up. Three to four yards after first contact, Blue was finally corralled and brought down. He turned a potential significant tackle for a loss into a seven yard gain on first down.

Vision...with which to see Robertson.
Burst...with which to speed through the open hole.
Power...with which to carry a pair of Browns for additional yards after contact.

All are hallmarks of successful big backs in the NFL and Blue flashed all of those attributes on one of his 36 carries in Cleveland on that day. Coaches often say that the biggest leap forward in a player’s advancement is from year one to year two. Blue showed what a versatile weapon he can be, but without Foster for some time, he’s got to be an even more accomplished runner in this offense. Looking back at a run like this, it’s evident that he can be just that in the future.

The thing that worries me about Blue was he never seemed to step up and seize that starting role at LSU. I know they always have talent there but it seemed that people were always surpassing him even when it was a committee. Hopefully he has improved enough to seize this opportunity as it will go a long way towards personnel decisions at RB next year.

I'm not sure I'd call that vision as much as it is obvious. The hole was gaping directly in front of him. We'll see. I hope he improves upon last year, but I think Grimes has the better vision of the two.

Well we will see what we have right away with Blue. He's going to do good things in preseason or he is not. If he does, then he will be good in the regular season. If someone is outshining him in the preseason, I am now more confident than ever before that our staff will make the switch.

I'm not sure I'd call that vision as much as it is obvious. The hole was gaping directly in front of him. We'll see. I hope he improves upon last year, but I think Grimes has the better vision of the two.
Agreed. I don't think he's shown good vision or patience to allow holes to open. John Harris found an example that could be spun a bit, but like you, I think he plainly saw he couldn't go where he wanted & the Red Sea just happened to part in front of him. It would be nice if there were more examples where i'd believe this was the norm... or even enough towards the end of the season to say there's a trend, but nope... I didn't see it.

Still, hope against hope that he makes a substantial jump learning how to read his blocks, how to push the point of attack to set up the defense, then cut it back & ream the bastards bloody.

Excuse me.... I'm having a moment.

Last edited:
Back