Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

You're Crazy...

I had posted a week or so ago that I thought Weiss would be a great candidate.

But...he JUST got to Notre Dame and I doubt he would bail this quickly to come back to the NFL. He comes across, to me, as someone who is above the dollars and the stardom factor of being an NFL head coach. Seems to me he's one of those people that has aspirations of being more integral in people's lives (being a mentor to college players) than what he could be in the NFL for a bunch of rich brats.

The only thing that gives us a chance is if he basically tanks the rest of the season and gets fired. But, based on their performances thus far, it ain't happening.

Would have been nice to have scooped him up long before Notre Dame started dating him.

But, I think McNair did the right thing sticking with Capers. :texflag:

Sudds said:
If you don't think the first phone call McNair makes this off-season is to Charlie Weiss.

Notre Dame is paying Weiss $2 million plus perks--what kind of money is McNair paying Capers?...bargain basement,maybe? :pigfly:

Well now we could always call up Vince Lombardi while we are trying to get someone to pull off a miracle.

I'm not sure but I'd like to go after a young coach on the rise with no HC experience honestly. Someone like a Sean payton or Gary Kubiak.

Texas_Thrill said:
Well now we could always call up Vince Lombardi while we are trying to get someone to pull off a miracle.

I'm not sure but I'd like to go after a young coach on the rise with no HC experience honestly. Someone like a Sean payton or Gary Kubiak.

Kubiak is 44-Weiss is 49 and was a man on the rise with no HC experience

Weiss would probably be my first choice, but I doubt he would be available. Kubiak would be my second choice AND he would be much more likely to be available.

why not bob stoops? mcnair has kept millions of dollars in his pockets from not spending as much on payroll as the other owners- let him spend some of that.

Well I am sure UT would pitch in to pay Bob Stoops salary.

Why doesn't anyone keep bringing up Jeff Fisher. I liked the way Fisher coached the Oilers and the guys he had when Tenn went to the Super Bowl. His players play for him.

El Tejano said:
Well I am sure UT would pitch in to pay Bob Stoops salary.

Why doesn't anyone keep bringing up Jeff Fisher. I liked the way Fisher coached the Oilers and the guys he had when Tenn went to the Super Bowl. His players play for him.

Probably because he's got a job already. I wouldn't have a problem with Fisher coaching my team but I can't see him leaving Tennessee to come here. I almost think McNair would have an easier time getting Jimmy Johnson off of his boat than getting Fisher out of Nashville. All of that is of course UNLESS Bud fires him.

Bud fires good coaches as often as bad ones because he doesn't know the difference. If that happened then yeah, maybe it would be possible. If that happened at the end of this season I'd actively lobby for it.

IMO right now the Texans have the 4th best HC in the AFC South. That's an opinion, nothing more. Obviously Dungy is kicking butt and is one seriously winning HC. Fisher has also won a lot and like another poster said, his players play for him. Any longtime Oiler fan in Houston should know the value of that from Bums day. When a HC can get players who want to leave it all on the field for him then that's powerful. Finally as much as it pains me to say this I think Del Rio's probably ahead of Dom when it comes to his guys busting their butts for him. I don't know that he's any more or less of a defensive/offensive brain than Dom but then that really doesn't come into it much. That's got more to do with your coordinators than anything else. What I see is Del Rio getting results that Dom can't get and an energy around the Jags that you don't see around the Texans and in fact have never seen around the Texans.

The energy/intensity thing has botherd me for 2+ years and I have written about it. I think the team takes on Dom's deliberate type of personality. He just stands there and studies the game and I see the players doing the same thing.

His first call should be to the Pats GM, and the topic should be about how many millions he wants and what the measurements of Casserleys office are.

F-minus67 said:
His first call should be to the Pats GM, and the topic should be about how many millions he wants and what the measurements of Casserleys office are.

Pioli just signed a contract extension. Since he technically wouldn't be getting a "promotion" by moving to another team, he's stuck with the Patriots until they say so or until his contract is up. I don't get the impression that he wants to leave anyway. There was talk of him moving on before he got the extension this summer, but I think he wants to stick with Belichick and see how far they can take this thing.

As for Weis... I'm not sure that it's $2 million/year, but it's definitely somewhere close to that. Over $1 million, anyway. A lot of NFL head coaches make less than he does. Aside from that, having had him in New England for a few years, he doesn't seem like the type who'd jump ship after only one year with Notre Dame.

Someone mentioned Tom Landry... is he even still alive? The guy's got to be in his 80s by now, no?

I wonder if Pete Carroll would consider returning to the NFL. I always thought he got a bad rap with the Pats, having to take over in Parcells' large shadow (literally and figuratively)...

GoPats said:
Someone mentioned Tom Landry... is he even still alive? The guy's got to be in his 80s by now, no?

You are correct. Tom Landry is dead.

I heard Hank Stram won't be doing radio/television anymore. As gpshafer_1976 brought up, it would be a real improvement in our coaching decisions if we were to hire Hank. :hide: :goodnight

Tedc said:
You are correct. Tom Landry is dead./QUOTE]

Thanks, whew... thinking people are deceased when they're not is surely a sign of senility, and I was getting worried for myself!

Tankhead said:
He is not making that kind of bread at Notre Dame. They pay bargain basement money for coaches, it is a privilage to coach for them. That is why Urban Meyer turned them down for Florida.

Yes, he is making that kind of money.

tsip said:
Yes, he is making that kind of money.

Nick: I still cannot figure why Charlie Weiss took the ND job. He clearly was top candidate for NFL head coach job. And even with the Super Bowl wait would have received some offers. Was he really afraid he would not receive an offer again? Does he really think ND is so great given that other programs have better recruiting pools (So. Cal, Florida, Texas, etc.? ND is not the draw to today's kids it was when he was a kid. Does he think he needs to build a reputation in College first before NFL? What is your take on this curious move?

Steven Kepnes, Syracuse NY

A: Steven, I think you hit it: he didn't want to take the chance again. He even said it this week. Right now there are two jobs open, right? Cleveland is open and it looks like Baltimore pro personnel director Phil Savage is taking the job. He's going to pick the coach. Any guarantees he would have chosen Charlie when his experience is with the Ravens who have a strong candidate in Mike Nolan? I don't know. Maybe if Charlie were available, he'd be a top candidate though you also have Brad Childress in Philly making a strong bid. San Francisco is available. They'd be dopes if they didn't put out feelers for Pete Carroll, who would have to be their top choice. The other reason is it's Notre Dame. He loves Notre Dame. That's his school. That's his dream job. They gave him $2 million a year which is probably what he would make as a first-time NFL head coach, if that.

Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff | January 6, 2005

Back