You're Crazy...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Sudds, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Sudds

Sudds Rookie

If you don't think the first phone call McNair makes this off-season is to Charlie Weiss.

2. LBC_Justin

LBC_Justin All Pro

I heard from a reliable source that McNair is in contact with Tom Landry.

3. GP

GP Go Texans!

No, you heard wrong about Tom Landry.

It was Hank Stram he had called.

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

I had posted a week or so ago that I thought Weiss would be a great candidate.

But...he JUST got to Notre Dame and I doubt he would bail this quickly to come back to the NFL. He comes across, to me, as someone who is above the dollars and the stardom factor of being an NFL head coach. Seems to me he's one of those people that has aspirations of being more integral in people's lives (being a mentor to college players) than what he could be in the NFL for a bunch of rich brats.

The only thing that gives us a chance is if he basically tanks the rest of the season and gets fired. But, based on their performances thus far, it ain't happening.

Would have been nice to have scooped him up long before Notre Dame started dating him.

But, I think McNair did the right thing sticking with Capers. :texflag:

5. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

Notre Dame is paying Weiss $2 million plus perks--what kind of money is McNair paying Capers?...bargain basement,maybe? :pigfly:

6. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

Well now we could always call up Vince Lombardi while we are trying to get someone to pull off a miracle.

I'm not sure but I'd like to go after a young coach on the rise with no HC experience honestly. Someone like a Sean payton or Gary Kubiak.

7. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

Kubiak is 44-Weiss is 49 and was a man on the rise with no HC experience

8. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Weiss would probably be my first choice, but I doubt he would be available. Kubiak would be my second choice AND he would be much more likely to be available.

9. lucky13

lucky13 Guest

why not bob stoops? mcnair has kept millions of dollars in his pockets from not spending as much on payroll as the other owners- let him spend some of that.

10. Youngstown Colt

Youngstown Colt All Pro

You're crazy if you think Charlie doesn't have caller ID

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Well I am sure UT would pitch in to pay Bob Stoops salary.

Why doesn't anyone keep bringing up Jeff Fisher. I liked the way Fisher coached the Oilers and the guys he had when Tenn went to the Super Bowl. His players play for him.

12. 281

281 Hall of Fame

Hahaha... good stuff.

13. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Jimmy Johnson for Presi...errr....head coach. :heh:

14. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Probably because he's got a job already. I wouldn't have a problem with Fisher coaching my team but I can't see him leaving Tennessee to come here. I almost think McNair would have an easier time getting Jimmy Johnson off of his boat than getting Fisher out of Nashville. All of that is of course UNLESS Bud fires him.

Bud fires good coaches as often as bad ones because he doesn't know the difference. If that happened then yeah, maybe it would be possible. If that happened at the end of this season I'd actively lobby for it.

IMO right now the Texans have the 4th best HC in the AFC South. That's an opinion, nothing more. Obviously Dungy is kicking butt and is one seriously winning HC. Fisher has also won a lot and like another poster said, his players play for him. Any longtime Oiler fan in Houston should know the value of that from Bums day. When a HC can get players who want to leave it all on the field for him then that's powerful. Finally as much as it pains me to say this I think Del Rio's probably ahead of Dom when it comes to his guys busting their butts for him. I don't know that he's any more or less of a defensive/offensive brain than Dom but then that really doesn't come into it much. That's got more to do with your coordinators than anything else. What I see is Del Rio getting results that Dom can't get and an energy around the Jags that you don't see around the Texans and in fact have never seen around the Texans.

15. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

The energy/intensity thing has botherd me for 2+ years and I have written about it. I think the team takes on Dom's deliberate type of personality. He just stands there and studies the game and I see the players doing the same thing.

16. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

His first call should be to the Pats GM, and the topic should be about how many millions he wants and what the measurements of Casserleys office are.

17. GoPats

GoPats Veteran

Pioli just signed a contract extension. Since he technically wouldn't be getting a "promotion" by moving to another team, he's stuck with the Patriots until they say so or until his contract is up. I don't get the impression that he wants to leave anyway. There was talk of him moving on before he got the extension this summer, but I think he wants to stick with Belichick and see how far they can take this thing.

As for Weis... I'm not sure that it's $2 million/year, but it's definitely somewhere close to that. Over $1 million, anyway. A lot of NFL head coaches make less than he does. Aside from that, having had him in New England for a few years, he doesn't seem like the type who'd jump ship after only one year with Notre Dame.

Someone mentioned Tom Landry... is he even still alive? The guy's got to be in his 80s by now, no?

I wonder if Pete Carroll would consider returning to the NFL. I always thought he got a bad rap with the Pats, having to take over in Parcells' large shadow (literally and figuratively)...

18. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

You are correct. Tom Landry is dead.

I heard Hank Stram won't be doing radio/television anymore. As gpshafer_1976 brought up, it would be a real improvement in our coaching decisions if we were to hire Hank. :hide: :goodnight

19. GoPats

GoPats Veteran

20. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

Yes, he is making that kind of money.