Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

You have the 18th Pick.

18th pick. Who do you take?

• Total voters
Boy those are some nice options to have. I picked David Pollack, but Erasmus James or Ronnie Brown are my second choices.

As of now, the Texans pick at #15.

I'm taking Brooks because he's the best player on your list & he can play ILB or OLB. However, I don't think he'll be there at #15, much less #18.

I dont really know how far he will be available. But nfldraftcountdown.com has him being taken at #20 by Seattle.

I think he should be open around the 15th pick.

DC_ROCK said:
I think he should be open around the 15th pick.
Brooks is a 249 lb 3-4 ILB who could project to OLB. He's lined up at WR for the Cavs in Hail Mary situations and has a 40 yard kickoff return. Guys like that just don't stay on draft boards very long. Brooks will likely have the best computer numbers for a ILB since Brian Urlacher in 2000. Urlacher went at #9 to the Bears from a mid-level school.

One interesting thing about Brooks is that his father Percy played DT for Washington when Charley Casserly was in the Skin's front office. Casserly has probably known Ahmad since he was a little boy. As a draft eligilbe Sophomore, Brooks is not a lock to leave early. He's started 2 years at Virginia after spending a year at a military prep school. I just don't think a guy like Brooks would leave school unless he got assurances from the NFL draft committee that he'd be a top 10 pick. Unless the Texans can't turn this losing streak around, I don't believe they'll be in a draft spot to select Ahmad Brooks.

Thats nice and all, but you have no idea where he is going to go. He could go 8th, and he could go 28th. There are too many variables right now. Hell, we dont even know if he is coming out this year. Last year Steven Jackson fell to what? 24? People didnt think he would fall to 22, where Dallas was, and then Dallas up and trades the spot?

Lets just agree that he could go anywhere from 10-20 in round 1.

And with the way we are playing right now, we might just have the 12-13th pick...

DC_ROCK said:
...we dont even know if he is coming out this year...
That was my point. Brooks doesn't have to leave school this year (or next year). If he's not going in the top 10 as you suggest, why would he come out early?

You're right, I don't know when or where Brooks will be drafted. But at least I'm attempting to define my position on Brooks possible draft slot with facts & theories. Why should I agree with your suggestion that Brooks would be drafted between the 10-20 spots when you haven't put in an effort to explain your position?

Hopefully Pollack, Cody, and Heath Miller are all on the board when we pick. It seems we have quite a bit of Cap on the D-line for a first round pick (Spears) to be able to pay for himself, can anyone clear this up? ROLB would be great so we can move Wong inside, Foreman to backup. Sure would be nice to get Ruud in the second. Then again a great O-lineman would be nice. While I really like Pollack and Cody guys like Roth or Duckett could be a better value later on.

I like Roth too, but I heard he's got a similar problem as Peek does. He's a high energy player, and he his emotions can get the better of him from time to time. I still think he'd be a good addittion to the team if we could get him somewhere around the 3rd Round or lower, but I think he's slated to go a little higher than that.

Benson is just one of those guys who could slip under the radar for some reason. He's put up terrific numbers but he fumbles the ball occasionally. He reminds me of a Tiki Barber type of runner.

I take Ronnie Brown, he is one of my favorite players right now, he will do whatever he can to get on the field an play, and that means lining up at FB, H-back, and WR. It says alots that Cadillac had to split time with him in the back field.

Nawzer said:
Benson is just one of those guys who could slip under the radar for some reason. He's put up terrific numbers but he fumbles the ball occasionally. He reminds me of a Tiki Barber type of runner.
Barber is fast and explosive. Benson is a bruiser with little high end speed.

That is what I see in Benson also, not much of a 4th gear. I think that would be very much exposed at the pro level. Brown could be a good choice though IMO. Doubt we would do it though. Casserly doesn't pick back very high and we have more need on defense than to pick a back with the 1st.

Unless there's a can't possibly miss player available, I have to believe (& want to believe) that the Texans will go for a stud DT with their 1st pick. Walker's not getting any younger & the nagging injuries are starting to add up. We need a big, strong kid with a non stop motor.

Payne appears to be coming along nicely & Robaire was a real nice pickup. Deloach, Ioane, & Sears are solid backups, but Walker & Sears will both be 32 y/o next season. We've got to get a prospect to start grooming as Walker's replacement, or slide Payne over & insert the new kid into Payne's slot.

Some players that I'd take a look at are:

Rodrique Wright (6'5" 320lbs.): Assuming he comes out this year.
Anttaj Hawthorne (6'3" 315lbs.)
Anthony Bryant (6'2" 335lbs.)

My sleeper is:

Sione Pouha (6'3" 330lbs.)
Sione Pouha

Hottoddie said:
My sleeper is:

Sione Pouha (6'3" 330lbs.)
Sione Pouha

from the article ...

"Very under-rated defensive linemen that moves extremely well for his size...explosive player that bech presses 475 pounds (best on the team ) and squats 675 pounds (tied for first on the team)...also tied for team lead in hang clean with a lift of 375 pounds...will start at tackle for the second straight year...solid kid with great character...signed with Utah back in 1997, then left for an LDS church mission to Pittsburgh, Pa. (1998-00).

Received heroism award from MWC after rescuing a woman from smoke-filled apartment in fall 2002...member of Utah's Student Athlete Mentor (SAMS) program... elected to 2004 Utah Football Leadership Committee...."

Sounds like a Texan

wags said:
Sounds like a good guy, but being 26 years old come draft day will hurt his stock.

I suppose that will depend on how NFL ready he is from the start. Maybe his age will allow us to pick him up in a later round.

the one thing to keep in mind is that since mack brown took over as the head coach of UT no junior has left early...i don't see wright leaving early as well as scott...as for brooks if we drafted him he would have to be a ILB for us...we're pretty much stacked at OLB and need more help at ILB...look at our needs we need help on the d-line, the o-line, and it would be smart to start drafting and grooming aaron glenn's replacement

just would like to add one observation. Of all the do over Mock drafts based upon their performances so far as rookies I've seen its been a virtual consensous at the #10 pick that the Texans ARE THE ONLY TEAM who got it right. EVERY mockster still has the Texans taking Dunta Robinson with no do overs. Very impressive I thought I would just pass that along. :)

Back