Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

You are GM of the Texans for the next 4 months

So you’re sold on Stroud or Young?

I’m not. I’d rather build the defense, sign a FA QB to compete with Mills and draft a QB next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone is different.

You need a quarterback and Baker is not it. I’m drafting Young.
You do know there are several ways to skin a cat. We have 11 picks in this years draft and we have money to spend on free agents. Therefore, you can build up the trenches as well as get skilled players.

Your way isn’t the only way.

the trade talk is not about whether Laremy is good or if we can afford him. It is about getting 3-4 good players who could be starters day one and thus improve the team. Having four player on rookie deals is enticing. No one is saying trade Tunsil and not have a solid LT going forward.
"Could be" are the key words here. I'm for extending Tunsil. One in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, imo.

Everyone is different.

You do know there are several ways to skin a cat. We have 11 picks in this years draft and we have money to spend on free agents. Therefore, you can build up the trenches as well as get skilled players.

Baker is another tiny QB, I thought you liked tiny QB's?

• Sad
Reactions: JB
I'd be ok with taking Stroud if we can trade back from 1.12 to about 1.18 or so.

I'll pass on Tiny Tim. If BY fell all the way to the 3rd round, I'd take a flyer on him. I would not be ok with trying to make him a franchise QB with his size. Yeah, his height is an issue, but even more so is his build. If he's made a starter in the NFL, I see him having a short career, and never being able to play for a full season as the starter.

I'm not a Gardner Minshew fan, but I'd rather bring in Minshew to compete with Mills, and draft our QB in 2024. I'd even be ok with signing Carr to be our starter for the next 3 or 4 years, and wait for Arch Manning's draft class. I'm sure Manning won't be the only good QB in that class. I don't want Garoppolo's fragile ass at all.

I'd be ok with taking Stroud if we can trade back from 1.12 to about 1.18 or so.

I'll pass on Tiny Tim. If BY fell all the way to the 3rd round, I'd take a flyer on him. I would not be ok with trying to make him a franchise QB with his size. Yeah, his height is an issue, but even more so is his build. If he's made a starter in the NFL, I see him having a short career, and never being able to play for a full season as the starter.

I'm not a Gardner Minshew fan, but I'd rather bring in Minshew to compete with Mills, and draft our QB in 2024. I'd even be ok with signing Carr to be our starter for the next 3 or 4 years, and wait for Arch Manning's draft class. I'm sure Manning won't be the only good QB in that class. I don't want Garoppolo's fragile ass at all.
Young and Stroud both go into the top 5.
Levis also goes in the top ten.

Everyone is different.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. But it is a nice position to be in to be able to have draft and FA capital to "fix" one area in a single offseason. More than likely, they try to skin multiple cats and improve both the skill and trench positions, but not enough that either is considered a strength/identity of the team. I've learned to set my expectations low with this team.

I don’t even care who they draft at 1.2 anymore. If Nick is dumb enough to draft the midget at 1.2 and he frames out due to constant injury or flat out busts, then he’ll (and rightfully so) be gone soon thereafter. I’ll root for whoever they draft with the 2nd overall pick nonetheless. At the end of the day, I just want what’s best for the home team.

Combine is soon I believe. Is Bryce coming? Anyone know? I think more than any player in this draft, he needs to be measured.

It's possible he can add 10-15 lbs on an NFL diet/workout regimen. As long as he is 185+, I'm ok. I'd prefer 195-200 ideally. If he's under 185, I may change my mind and downgrade him some.

As far as height, I've still got him number uno unless he measures under 5' 10". I'd prefer 5" 11 - 6 Ft+.

Just a total guess, but I'm thinking 5' 11" and roughly 190ish is my guess for his true numbers. That might be to the Texans favor - it might provide just enough doubt that a team like the Colts passes on the trade-up. I do think there is some chance the Bears trade Fields, and take Young...but still like the odds that he drops to 1.2 as of today.

Right now, he's my primary target at 1.2. Will Anderson is my backup choice. It was Stroud as my #2...but I'm moving CJ Stroud down a notch. I loved him in the Georgia game, but I'm not quite sure he has the it factor I'm looking for. He's quite reserved and I know it's intangible stuff...but he just might not be "field general" material. I still think he'll have a good career. Something in the Derek Carr to Justin Herbert range. WAY better than Mills, but borderline in terms of a true franchise QB.

My #2 and #3 choices are iffy - I'll probably go back and forth as to my second choice. For me, it's between Anderson and Stroud, and I have Anderson slightly ahead right now. Ask me tomorrow, and I'll be back to Stroud lol. Carter? Nope.

Combine is soon I believe. Is Bryce coming? Anyone know? I think more than any player in this draft, he needs to be measured.

It's possible he can add 10-15 lbs on an NFL diet/workout regimen. As long as he is 185+, I'm ok. I'd prefer 195-200 ideally. If he's under 185, I may change my mind and downgrade him some.

As far as height, I've still got him number uno unless he measures under 5' 10". I'd prefer 5" 11 - 6 Ft+.

Just a total guess, but I'm thinking 5' 11" and roughly 190ish is my guess for his true numbers. That might be to the Texans favor - it might provide just enough doubt that a team like the Colts passes on the trade-up. I do think there is some chance the Bears trade Fields, and take Young...but still like the odds that he drops to 1.2 as of today.

Right now, he's my primary target at 1.2. Will Anderson is my backup choice. It was Stroud as my #2...but I'm moving CJ Stroud down a notch. I loved him in the Georgia game, but I'm not quite sure he has the it factor I'm looking for. He's quite reserved and I know it's intangible stuff...but he just might not be "field general" material. I still think he'll have a good career. Something in the Derek Carr to Justin Herbert range. WAY better than Mills, but borderline in terms of a true franchise QB.

My #2 and #3 choices are iffy - I'll probably go back and forth as to my second choice. For me, it's between Anderson and Stroud, and I have Anderson slightly ahead right now. Ask me tomorrow, and I'll be back to Stroud lol. Carter? Nope.
supposedly Young's new dietician has him at 203 and that was over a week ago.

So you're on board with picking a 5'11 190 lbs QB?

How many guys that size have had success in the NFL?

Which means he is going to the Underwear Olympics at a weight he's never been close to playing at, with the risk that the added weight/bulk has drastically impacted his play.
Combine would rule that out and i don't see any team lowering their opinions on Bryce Young because he gains weight.

Based on what?

The argument has changed from Young’s short height to his frame. He needs to get to the weight of Wilson and Murray.

Mother ducker when has frame not included height?

Now you are going to have a player at a weight that he has never played before. Why? So people can say he weighed in at the combine with the same “frame” as Wilson and Murray…

It’s all smoke and mirrors to get away from talking about the issue - he is too small for an NFL QB.

Expecting a player to gain close to 20 lbs, whether that is muscle or fat and expect that not to impact the players ability is foolish. This isn’t a D or O lineman.

If this weight is that important why now? Why not his senior year to add the weight?

This is just like Tebow. Some college players don’t transition to the NFL.

Drafting Bryce Young is the same as drafting a player with an injury history like lisfranc. You know it’s there. You know it can prevent the player from playing.

So yeah. Smoke and mirrors.

I’ll believe it if he actually works out and does the drills at the combine (specifically the agility drills). If he comes to the combine and just weighs in and heads home then it’s pretty obviously BS
All of the top prospects will come to the combine to weigh-in, get checked medically, and interview. No drills. That's how it's been for years.

All of the top prospects will come to the combine to weigh-in, get checked medically, and interview. No drills. That's how it's been for years.
Is that true? I specifically remember Lawrence and Herbert doing the combine in 2020 and 21. Regardless even if that is the case it doesn’t make me very confident that he will actually be playing at around 200

...It’s all smoke and mirrors to get away from talking about the issue - he is too small for an NFL QB.
This is nothing more than your opinion. There have been qbs his size who have played in the NFL. Admittedly few. He'll have the opportunity to prove himself.
Expecting a player to gain close to 20 lbs, whether that is muscle or fat and expect that not to impact the players ability is foolish. This isn’t a D or O lineman.

If this weight is that important why now? Why not his senior year to add the weight?
I'd suggest you get your facts straight. It's not just now. It's been reported on this forum that he started his nutrition diet no later than October, when he reported this in an interview. It wasn't reported when he began his nutrition program, but before the interview. Before he started his program hw weighed, maybe, 186 pounds. After he started his program, by October, he weighed 196 pounds.

So he did play most, if not all, of his senior year with the increased bulk.

I just reread the post you’re replying to and I believe it was a question. A good question too. I’d like to know the answer myself. No need to get defensive or emotional.
He asked a question and I answered. I then asked a question. Why is my question "defensive or emotional"?

Comments questioning Young's weight are unsupported, while ignoring the facts as they are known. Young gave an interview addressing this issue back in October. I choose to believe the young man.

Combine would rule that out and i don't see any team lowering their opinions on Bryce Young because he gains weight.

I'm just saying I am 6'1" and played college basketball at 170 lbs. It was the most in shape point in my life, but I have a "slight" frame and there was no way I could have put on weight and not have had a negative impact. Even now at 190 with a dad-bod I am at the most weight I could ever healthily carry on my frame. And I still look skinny.

Just because he puts on weight doesn't make it a good thing if his body type - and mechanics - can't handle playing at that weight. He doesn't have the frame of a Murray or Wilson, no matter who he hires to rebuild his body.

This is nothing more than your opinion. There have been qbs his size who have played in the NFL. Admittedly few. He'll have the opportunity to prove himself.

I'd suggest you get your facts straight. It's not just now. It's been reported on this forum that he started his nutrition diet no later than October, when he reported this in an interview. It wasn't reported when he began his nutrition program, but before the interview. Before he started his program hw weighed, maybe, 186 pounds. After he started his program, by October, he weighed 196 pounds.

So he did play most, if not all, of his senior year with the increased bulk.

Tell me, do you think he will be able to carry the extra weight for 20 games it will take to win a SB?
He asked a question and I answered. I then asked a question. Why is my question "defensive or emotional"?

Comments questioning Young's weight are unsupported, while ignoring the facts as they are known. Young gave an interview addressing this issue back in October. I choose to believe the young man.
What facts are known, other than what Young told us? Do you think Young would tell us anything differently than he did?

The question was really uninformed. Young is in top physical and athletic condition preparing for the NFL Combine. Basic common sense should tell you it is not fat.
Is he going to workout at the combine?

Doubtful

Is he going to workout at the combine?

Doubtful
Right.
It doesn't matter what sort of weight gain it is, because if you increase your weight by 10%, most of your other metrics that made you what you were will decrease by 10% and will put an unnatural 10% burden on the person's physiology.

Right.
It doesn't matter what sort of weight gain it is, because if you increase your weight by 10%, most of your other metrics that made you what you were will decrease by 10% and will put an unnatural 10% burden on the person's physiology.
Seems pretty obvious to me.

I'm just saying I am 6'1" and played college basketball at 170 lbs. It was the most in shape point in my life, but I have a "slight" frame and there was no way I could have put on weight and not have had a negative impact. Even now at 190 with a dad-bod I am at the most weight I could ever healthily carry on my frame. And I still look skinny.

Just because he puts on weight doesn't make it a good thing if his body type - and mechanics - can't handle playing at that weight. He doesn't have the frame of a Murray or Wilson, no matter who he hires to rebuild his body.
And I am a 72 year-old 5' 10 at 153 pounds. Just over 2 years ago I was struggling to get down to 184 but look like I was in better shape than Tom Brady his first NFL season. I played 5 to 6 hours of water volleyball three days/week in my 40s, 50s and 60s. Not comparing v'ball to NFL or myself to TB's football but neither can you to Young. I Do not care what Others have done or not done in football.

All indications and there are hundreds saying several teams would draft him, given the chance.

We can only look at how he did in college. How he performed under pressure and if those skills continue in NFL. Some say no some say yes. Either repeating their view 10 000 times is ridiculous. We know. We get it.

And I am a 72 year-old 5' 10 at 153 pounds. Just over 2 years ago I was struggling to get down to 184 but look like I was in better shape than Tom Brady his first NFL season. I played 5 to 6 hours of water volleyball three days/week in my 40s, 50s and 60s. Not comparing v'ball to NFL or myself to TB's football but neither can you to Young. I Do not care what Others have done or not done in football.

All indications and there are hundreds saying several teams would draft him, given the chance.

We can only look at how he did in college. How he performed under pressure and if those skills continue in NFL. Some say no some say yes. Either repeating their view 10 000 times is ridiculous. We know. We get it.

My point, however poorly communicated, was that adding weight isn't his solution based on his frame. Own it, point to his success and try to duplicate in the NFL. He is going to get drafted in one of the top 2 positions, more than likely. Adding 10-15 pounds and possibly messing up his mechanics/athleticism isn't going to change that.

Tell me, do you think he will be able to carry the extra weight for 20 games it will take to win a SB?

What facts are known, other than what Young told us? Do you think Young would tell us anything differently than he did?
Why are you always bringing up SB in conversation about players who hasn’t played in a NFL game yet? That really doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

Right.

Not making an argument for drafting Young here, but doesnt this depend on what makes up the extra mass?

Increasing your weight 10% with muscle will have wildly different effects on your metrics vs fat...and there would be shades in between. Play strength, speed, durability, change of direction (and more)...all of these would be impacted differently.

Lets say he adds 8% muscle and 2% fat. Do all of his relevant metrics decline? I can think of many that would increase.

Everyone is different.

Earlier this week in the Mills thread you wrote you would draft Stroud over Young. What made you change your mind?

Why are you always bringing up SB in conversation about players who hasn’t played in a NFL game yet? That really doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

I follow the logic being used here (I think at least). If the goal is to ultimately win a Superbowl then you want players who have characteristics or traits needed to win. Especially, physically there are general qualities that are more successful than others.

Not matching the past profile does not mean different types won't ever win or that the profile can't change, but a good deal of the league follows these prototypes arguably even our current GM.

I’ve been saying Stroud would be my pick.
Everyone is different.

Just wondering.

Reactions: JB
Back