Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

You are GM of the Texans for the next 4 months

Since I’m the GM for the next 4 months.

The first order of business is hiring our new head coach Ryan’s and holding a press conference welcoming him back home.

Then I would sit down with Head Coach Ryan’s and see exactly what are his plans for the offense and defense.

From there we would see who he wanted on his coaching staff. I would only have one recommendation and that’s keeping the special teams coach.

After that we would start working on our drafting board. Follow that up with our free agency board.

We’re in need of a quarterback so we would draft one at number 2. We would also bring in a brigade quarterback to compete with Mills for the starting position. The rookie will sit and learn.

12: we hopefully drafting Johnston WR.

Second round I’m possibly trading back for additional picks. Maybe late 2nd and 3rd picks.

With the late second I’m drafting either a DE,DT or C.

In the third round I’m drafting LB, RB, DE, DT or C with those three picks.

Last edited:

. We would also bring in a brigade quarterback to compete with Mills for the starting position. The rookie will sit and learn.

Interesting decision there....taking a qb at #2 and having him sit? for how long. whole year, 8 games or just until we are officially out of playoff contention.

Agreed, but we're talking about the McNair's here. They fall in love with shiny now objects that will put butts in the seats.

Your ideas aren't sexy enough for them. It's also why I don't expect the McNair's to win a championship in. my lifet
Yeah, nothing more enticing than drafting a new "franchise quarterback". Plays well in the media. Gets the fans all hot and bothered.

But if you're using a high 1st on him, he'd better either be the guy or the best player available. Some owners act like opportunity costs aren't a thing.

Edit: I feel like a should be more clear about my position on drafting a QB. If you've done your due diligence as an organization and conclude "this QB is going to be a stud in this league", then draft him.

If after your due diligence, you conclude "yeah, I'm not sure about him, BUT WE NEED A QB", don't draft him if there's a stud available at another key position. That's living in desperation and it's not what winning franchises do.

Last edited:
Interesting decision there....taking a qb at #2 and having him sit? for how long. whole year, 8 games or just until we are officially out of playoff contention.
It all determines on how the season is going. But 6-8 games would suffice. If we could have him sit the entire year like KC did with Pat. That could be very beneficial to his growth as well as the teams success.

It all determines on how the season is going. But 6-8 games would suffice. If we could have him sit the entire year like KC did with Pat. That could be very beneficial to his growth as well as the teams success.
If it’s Mills starting I see the new qb start in 2-3 games into the season. :kitten:

The first order of business is hiring our new head coach Ryan’s and holding a press conference welcoming back home.

Then I would sit down with Head Coach Ryan’s and see exactly what are his plans for the offense and defense.

From there we would see who he wanted on his coaching staff. I would only have one recommendation and that’s keeping the special teams coach.

After that we would start working on our drafting board. Follow that up with our free agency board.

We’re in need of a quarterback so we would draft one at number 2. We would also bring in a brigade quarterback to compete with Mills for the starting position. The rookie will sit and learn.

12: we hopefully drafting Johnston WR.

Second round I’m possibly trading back for additional picks. Maybe late 2nd and 3rd picks.

With the late second I’m drafting either a DE,DT or C.

In the third round I’m drafting LB, RB, DE, DT or C with those three picks.
I'm sorry, but I'm finding out the plans for Offense, Defense, and the coaching staff before I hire the guy.

Yeah, nothing more enticing than drafting a new "franchise quarterback". Plays well in the media. Gets the fans all hot and bothered.

But if you're using a high 1st on him, he'd better either be the guy or the best player available. Some owners act like opportunity costs aren't a thing.

Edit: I feel like a should be more clear about my position on drafting a QB. If you've done your due diligence as an organization and conclude "this QB is going to be a stud in this league", then draft him.

If after your due diligence, you conclude "yeah, I'm not sure about him, BUT WE NEED A QB", don't draft him if there's a stud available at another key position. That's living in desperation and it's not what winning franchises do.

Problem with this is that that "stud" at another key position won't have the same impact as even a serviceable qb would. We've seen that story & how it plays out with the likes of JJ, AJ, Dunta and other studs we drafted at the top of the draft. Bad qb play has a way of ruining a whole team...but the opposite is true is well..Good or even average qb play can lift a team up...to a point of course.

Last edited:
I don't like any of Tom Cruse's movies, except for some of his scifi movies. And not all of them. But then I don't like most movies unless they have giant monsters or space ships. LOL
His Top Gun and Mission Impossible films are his forte.

If you have questions about a QB, you don't take him in the top 10. A QB taken in the top 10 is expected to start game one. Houston fans would be screaming bloody murder if the QB they drafted at #2 is not playing when the season starts. That QB better be ready to hit the ground running. Other positions have the luxury of playing on a rotational basis until they are ready to take over full time, but a QB is going to get all of the snaps. We won't have Pep and Lovie, so we won't be rotating 2 QB's.

Do you think teams don't do that? You think the Bears didn't do due diligence on Trubisky? Bucs on Winston? Browns on Baker?

If the Texans do their due diligence on Young and think he's worthy of drafting at 1:2, so they do, and then he bombs out like those guys did, are you saying they didn't do their due diligence?

Actually, I'm not sure they did their due diligence with last year's pick at 1:3, so there's that.

The draft is a crapshoot. You can do due diligence to the moon and back and you still wouldn't know if these guys are going to translate at the next level or not.

The draft is a crapshoot. You can do due diligence to the moon and back and you still wouldn't know if these guys are going to translate at the next level or not.

Yep, this. It's a cattle auction for people. Until they hit the field in pads an uniforms, you never know what you're getting. We used the number 1 pick twice on DLinemen and it backfired both times.

Do you think teams don't do that? You think the Bears didn't do due diligence on Trubisky? Bucs on Winston? Browns on Baker?

If the Texans do their due diligence on Young and think he's worthy of drafting at 1:2, so they do, and then he bombs out like those guys did, are you saying they didn't do their due diligence?

Actually, I'm not sure they did their due diligence with last year's pick at 1:3, so there's that.

Don't make decisions based on desperation. Do it because it's the best decision to make based on the best information available. Then, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

I'm saying the owner forced the QB pick at 1-2, just like his daddy did with Carr.

Don't make decisions based on desperation. Do it because it's the best decision to make based on the best information available. Then, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. I just don't think the Texans are anywhere near desperation. They need too many things to be desperate. But I can say with confidence that they won't be consistent year in year out winners until they get an upper tier QB. Whether that guy is in this draft or not is anyone's guess.

There’s no time to be desperate and speed up the process. That is why I’m focusing on the front 7 in a draft that is top-heavy with edge rushers and defensive lineman.

Sign a QB on an incentive laden deal, sign a solid veteran WR, draft a top end WR and a change of pace RB. Let them gel and grow.

Let Hughes and another vet teach Anderson and another DL the tricks of the trade.

Finish the year with 5-6 wins and do it all over again next year with filling more needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s no time to be desperate and speed up the process. That is why I’m focusing on the front 7 in a draft that is top-heavy with edge rushers and defensive lineman.

Sign a QB on an incentive laden deal, sign a solid veteran WR, draft a top end WR and a change of pace RB. Let them gel and grow.

Let Hughes and another vet teach Anderson and another DL the tricks of the trade.

Finish the year with 5-6 wins and do it all over again next year with filling more needs.

You can get both edge and DL in round 2.

If only Cal thought like we do.
I don't necessarily disagree with that. I just don't think the Texans are anywhere near desperation. They need too many things to be desperate. But I can say with confidence that they won't be consistent year in year out winners until they get an upper tier QB. Whether that guy is in this draft or not is anyone's guess.

Cal will end up disagreeing with you, because of the empty seats. He will get desperate and reach for a QB, so they can win 2-3 more games this yr. Having 3 bad yrs in a row will drive Cal to desperation.

John Travolta turned down Forrest Gump handing it to Tom Hanks.

Can you imagine?

I've certainly tried to do so after first I'd first heard that. Doesn't look pretty.

So many roles like that that in hindsight couldn't have turned out any better.

Burt Reynolds as Han Solo.

Jack Nicholson as Michael Corleone.

Ugh.

Will Smith was the first ask to play Neo.

Thank the film gods for the outcome of that role.
Yes, Keanu did a good job..... save a few parts that made me laugh but I don't think they were supposed to.

I still think the best accidental actor part was Marty McFly going to Michael J Fox instead of Eric Stoltz

As for the Texans, I would focus on both lines IF I were GM to give a solid foundation to hit the ground running and I could enjoy watching even average players play competently.

If only Cal thought like we do.

Cal will end up disagreeing with you, because of the empty seats. He will get desperate and reach for a QB, so they can win 2-3 more games this yr. Having 3 bad yrs in a row will drive Cal to desperation.
I read that Demeco alone will net 7 wins. If you're right that means the Texans will win 9-10 games.

Nick Caserio is doing a better than I thought

I still think the best accidental actor part was Marty McFly going to Michael J Fox instead of Eric Stoltz

As far as Tom Cruise movies are concerned my favourite is Collateral (2004)

Honourable mention - All The Right Moves (1983)

I don't like any of Tom Cruse's movies, except for some of his scifi movies. And not all of them. But then I don't like most movies unless they have giant monsters or space ships. LOL

Lots of great Tom cruise movies!

oblivion
Minority report
A few good men
Jerry maguire
Edge of tomorrow
Vanilla sky
Knight and day

that’s just typing what came straight to mind!

I'm seeing a lot of dline suggestions. Is everyone remembering that Demeco runs a 3-4 defense? Those front seven players are different than for a 4-3 defense. I'm not sure how many of the current players will fit. Also, if we change to a WCO offense, that will probably require a few different linemen than what we have.

You can get both edge and DL in round 2.
After the top few guys go off the board, the dropoff is pretty large, so DT's and DE's that will be available in the 2nd won't be even close to the guys at the top. There will be a few decent ones there, but I'd rather have the best.

After the top few guys go off the board, the dropoff is pretty large, so DT's and DE's that will be available in the 2nd won't be even close to the guys at the top. There will be a few decent ones there, but I'd rather have the best.
Want to fix what is wrong in the run game?

Draft Carter and then Mazi Smith after trading up in the bottom of the 2nd. Sign Ebukan in fa.

Want to fix what is wrong in the run game?

Draft Carter and then Mazi Smith after trading up in the bottom of the 2nd. Sign Ebukan in fa.
I like Mazi Smith. I like his size. He also has decent speed for his size. He's got really good strength. For some reason though, he is projected to go in the 4th round. Possibly because of his BS gun charge. If teams just look at that, he will fall. If they find out the details, they'll take him. I like him, but he is a 3-4 NT. I think he is good enough that he can play in any scheme, but that is yet to be seen.

Carter and Smith would make one hell of a D-line. Carter @ 1.2, one of the DE's at 1.12, and Smith with one of the 3rds, and the Dline is set. Get our Center with the other 3rd, and WR Rashee Rice with our 2nd round pick, and we'll be looking pretty good.

I like Mazi Smith. I like his size. He also has decent speed for his size. He's got really good strength. For some reason though, he is projected to go in the 4th round. Possibly because of his BS gun charge. If teams just look at that, he will fall. If they find out the details, they'll take him. I like him, but he is a 3-4 NT. I think he is good enough that he can play in any scheme, but that is yet to be seen.

Carter and Smith would make one hell of a D-line. Carter @ 1.2, one of the DE's at 1.12, and Smith with one of the 3rds, and the Dline is set. Get our Center with the other 3rd, and WR Rashee Rice with our 2nd round pick, and we'll be looking pretty good.
This is what I'm thinking.

Not what I would do though.

Give me through picks and trades/FA

Carter, Hyatt, Musgrave/Smith and Stromberg/Prince and I'm very happy with this draft.

This is what I'm thinking.

Not what I would do though.

Give me through picks and trades/FA

Carter, Hyatt, Musgrave/Smith and Stromberg/Prince and I'm very happy with this draft.
I like Hyatt, but as I said before, he is more of a slot guy. Rashee Rice is 2" taller, and roughly the same speed. I think me need a true #1 WR, so I'm wanting a WR that is 6'2" at a minimum. Size and speed wise, I like Andrei Iosivas, but I haven't watched enough tape on him yet to know if he can be a #1 in the NFL.

Of the Centers, Schmitz seems to be the one that is going first in Mocks. Wypler seems to be the next off the board. Olusegun Oluwatimi keeps rising, so I'll have to look at him more. Stromberg was one of my favorites at Center early on, but for some reason, he keeps dropping. I don't know why yet, so I'll have to do some research.

I'm not in the mind to draft a TE high. I may be in the minority, but I think we are ok at TE, we just need to use them more. If Akins, Quitoriano, and Jordan can't get it done, bring in a FA, or draft Elijah Higgins late, and convert him to a TE. If you just want a blocking TE, someone like OT Trevor Reid might work out. He'll probably be an UDFA, so he could be a good project.

Who is Prince?

I like Hyatt, but as I said before, he is more of a slot guy. Rashee Rice is 2" taller, and roughly the same speed. I think me need a true #1 WR, so I'm wanting a WR that is 6'2" at a minimum. Size and speed wise, I like Andrei Iosivas, but I haven't watched enough tape on him yet to know if he can be a #1 in the NFL.

Of the Centers, Schmitz seems to be the one that is going first in Mocks. Wypler seems to be the next off the board. Olusegun Oluwatimi keeps rising, so I'll have to look at him more. Stromberg was one of my favorites at Center early on, but for some reason, he keeps dropping. I don't know why yet, so I'll have to do some research.

I'm not in the mind to draft a TE high. I may be in the minority, but I think we are ok at TE, we just need to use them more. If Akins, Quitoriano, and Jordan can't get it done, bring in a FA, or draft Elijah Higgins late, and convert him to a TE. If you just want a blocking TE, someone like OT Trevor Reid might work out. He'll probably be an UDFA, so he could be a good project.

Who is Prince?

Rice doesn't have the wiggle Hyatt has. With Hyatt's frame I think he can put 10 lbs of muscle on and easily play outside. He's played some outside in college.

Give me Wypler, strong and a highschool wrestler. Same with Stromberg, he's strong as a bull and has exceptionally long arms for a center. He's got a wrestling background and is the leader on his ol. People question his ability to get to the 2nd level. I don't share those concerns.

Tropic thunder, cannot even tell it was him so must be good acting!

Tom Cruise Best Performances:
Tropic Thunder
Collateral
Magnolia
Born on the 4th of July
Rain Man

Tom Cruise Best Movies:
Color of Money
Jerry McGuire
Top Gun
Few Good Men
Minority Report

I agree we need a big target receiver who can stretch the field on the outside.

We have to land a DT in FA and a Linebacker.

Rice doesn't have the wiggle Hyatt has. With Hyatt's frame I think he can put 10 lbs of muscle on and easily play outside. He's played some outside in college.

Give me Wypler, strong and a highschool wrestler. Same with Stromberg, he's strong as a bull and has exceptionally long arms for a center. He's got a wrestling background and is the leader on his ol. People question his ability to get to the 2nd level. I don't share those concerns.
Like I said, I like Hyatt, but he is more of a slot guy. He's only 6'-0", and I like taller guys for the #1 spot. Like Cooks, the smaller, shiftier guys are better suited for the slot. They can play as the #1 if they are all you have, but they would be better in the slot.

Back